FOOD, Living in... Singapore, Uncategorized BOTANIC GARDENS FOOD COURT 2 January 2007

We found ourselves back at the Botanic Gardens food court again.. because when it’s pouring with rain out there, it’s one of the easiest places to pop in for a meal since the carpark’s undercover. Plus, the food’s good :)~

Botanic Gardens food court

Guy making my Murtabak

Murtabak, which is basically Roti Prata encasing mince meat, egg and onion

Roast Duck with Char Siew

Something interesting(?) about Singapore is that whilst a lot of the groceries are much cheaper yet better than in Australia (see: the entry with avocado comparison a few days ago), if you go to the Japanese supermarkets, the prices are… urk! We were shopping at one the other day and whilst the sheer beauty of the food blew me away, so did the prices. Don’t believe me? Check it out below..

Cooking up this Japanese cake thing, with red bean or custard filling

We got a red bean Fish!

Sashimi

Salmon sashimi

Shrimp sashimi

Fresh fish

$22.50 for 10 strawberries

$5.30 for 1 cob of corn

$3.90 for 1 apple

$15.90 for 15 mini mandarins

• deathpufferfish posted on January 2, 2007 at 6:58 am

Those prices are crazy! But I bet it would be a pain to farm them in Japan, or maybe they import…

• beverly posted on January 2, 2007 at 7:04 am

Think they grow them in Japan then import into SG.. the fruit really is better though, the strawberries smelled SO sweet, better than the regular kind by far! But at that price… errrr…

• dianeeeee posted on January 2, 2007 at 7:24 am

Japanese strawberries are fantastic though! I’m not sure if these are the same ones I used to handcarry from Japan but those were amazing. When I first tried them I thought they were sugared!

I’m craving for some custard Taiyaki now! Gotta stop by Mediya soon!

• beverly posted on January 3, 2007 at 2:13 am

Ya that’s true, they’re $$ but you can *smell* them from so far away! Soooo sweet and they looked really nice too 😛

• rubytues posted on January 2, 2007 at 7:49 am

omg, just omg. To be able to stand and buy that sashimi. Mmmmm. How much are those prices in US dollars? Happy New Year, btw. 🙂

• beverly posted on January 3, 2007 at 2:27 am

US conversions are maybe 35% less than the ones above, I think? It’s so insanely expensive!

• angelnotes posted on January 2, 2007 at 8:42 am

I love the pratas at that stall too, yum! :P~

• beverly posted on January 3, 2007 at 2:27 am

My parents reckon they make one of the best pratas. But the murtabak was insaaaaaanely big, yikes!

• jesuisariel posted on January 2, 2007 at 2:06 pm

I once saw grapes that cost RM100+ per kilo at Isetan KL. My eyes bulged when I saw the price but the grapes were really round and looked so juicy!

• beverly posted on January 3, 2007 at 2:28 am

Oooo were those the tiny Japanese grapes? I really like ’em but SO $$!

• jesuisariel posted on January 4, 2007 at 8:08 am

No. The ones I saw were really big and round. Looked so juicy!!!

• deathpufferfish posted on January 2, 2007 at 6:58 am

• beverly posted on January 2, 2007 at 7:04 am

• dianeeeee posted on January 2, 2007 at 7:24 am

I’m craving for some custard Taiyaki now! Gotta stop by Mediya soon!

• beverly posted on January 3, 2007 at 2:13 am

• starbucksweetie posted on January 2, 2007 at 3:30 pm

I love the detailing of that fish. Also, I like how the mandarins are in cellophane bags, like perfume gift sets at cosmetic counters.

• beverly posted on January 3, 2007 at 2:29 am

With that kinda pricing, everything was really well presented and every fruit was perfect. I guess you get what you pay for!

• rubytues posted on January 2, 2007 at 7:49 am

• beverly posted on January 3, 2007 at 2:27 am

• angelnotes posted on January 2, 2007 at 8:42 am

I love the pratas at that stall too, yum! :P~

• beverly posted on January 3, 2007 at 2:27 am

• jesuisariel posted on January 2, 2007 at 2:06 pm

• beverly posted on January 3, 2007 at 2:28 am

Oooo were those the tiny Japanese grapes? I really like ’em but SO $$!

• jesuisariel posted on January 4, 2007 at 8:08 am

No. The ones I saw were really big and round. Looked so juicy!!!

• starbucksweetie posted on January 2, 2007 at 3:30 pm

• beverly posted on January 3, 2007 at 2:29 am

• medlabtech posted on January 3, 2007 at 5:36 am

Wow, that’s some expensive produce!

• beverly posted on January 3, 2007 at 10:00 am

Ya.. but they looked SO good!

• choreophobic posted on January 3, 2007 at 8:41 am

Yikes, those prices are steep

I love those red bean fish pastries though! I always get them when my family visits Japantown in San Francisco!

• beverly posted on January 3, 2007 at 10:00 am

It’s kinda insane to pay that sort of $$.. maybe for a special treat!

• medlabtech posted on January 3, 2007 at 5:36 am

Wow, that’s some expensive produce!

• beverly posted on January 3, 2007 at 10:00 am

Ya.. but they looked SO good!

• blairwitch posted on January 3, 2007 at 2:10 pm

That’s a lot of sashimi! And those strawberries better be the best in the world, they are so damn expensive! I love strawberries… I want strawberries! Damn you!

• beverly posted on January 3, 2007 at 9:05 pm

Yeah, I don’t think I’d pay the rate of $2 per strawberry.. just seems kinda insane!

• choreophobic posted on January 3, 2007 at 8:41 am

Yikes, those prices are steep

• beverly posted on January 3, 2007 at 10:00 am

It’s kinda insane to pay that sort of $$.. maybe for a special treat!

• blairwitch posted on January 3, 2007 at 2:10 pm