Hunter, HUNTER, CARTER & CHLOE, Hunter's progress, School YOU MEAN MANDARIN WORDS HAVE STROKE NAMES? 18 April 2015

So kids learn Mandarin differently these days. The strokes within each character all have a name!

Kind of like how we spell out each alphabet in a word, but way cooler because instead of words, Chinese writing is kind of pictorial.

Here’s what they look like – see “Basic Stroke” column on how to write it, and the “Chinese Name” column on how to say it.

Chinese-Writing-Strokes(from 121chineselessons.com)

So when you’re ‘spelling’ a character, it sounds really beautiful.. almost like you’re singing! I asked Hunter’s teacher how many strokes there were, and she said about 30. THIRTY!!!!

Obviously, Hunter’s class is only learning the basic strokes that you see above.

It’s very awesomely cool and fascinating to watch and hear him write his characters. I just can’t get enough of it!

Facebook By Weblizar Powered By Weblizar

• James Foster on Facebook posted on April 19, 2015 at 1:49 pm

My Mandarin teacher taught us the same thing, so it’s not just for kids! 🙂

• Peng Wenmei on Facebook posted on April 19, 2015 at 2:53 pm

It was the same in our time too.

• Daphne Tan on Facebook posted on April 19, 2015 at 5:17 pm

They teach this in schools during my time too.

• Erica Yeo Yap on Facebook posted on April 19, 2015 at 6:28 pm

Errr you must not have been paying attention in class. :p That’s how it was like when I was in school too!

• Beverly's Net: family food fashion on Facebook posted on April 19, 2015 at 10:32 pm

but I left when I was young! So either I missed that, or ermmm… forgot. I do know “heng” and “shu” and “dian” but the rest are new to me. Thought they’d ‘developed’ more strokes since and teach those to kids now!

• Erica Yeo Yap on Facebook posted on April 19, 2015 at 10:34 pm

I think we were probably older than Hunter when we got taught the strokes though. Merrill doesn’t remember too and he left when he was 8

• Beverly's Net: family food fashion on Facebook posted on April 19, 2015 at 10:37 pm

Phew. Thank goodness it’s not just me! My parents both dunno as well…