HOLIDAYS, Japan, Uncategorized JAPAN: GOODBYE, FAREWELL 1 March 2010

Just a few of my running stream of consciousness thoughts on Japan..

1. The women are slimmer, more fashionable, and better looking than almost any other country I’ve been to. On the downside, I constantly felt fat and dowdy the whole time. It’s hard not to – the girls are just so slim and petite, with pretty faces and GORGEOUS hair (are they wearing great wigs or is it natural? We couldn’t figure it out!). Their fashion sense is amazing, especially compared to my thick-shapeless-jacket-and-jeans ‘fashion sense’ 😉 They wear adorable little dresses and mini mini mini skirts/shorts.. despite the weather being sub-zero and freezing. How do they even survive?! Both Dad and Chris declared the women “very good looking” and I think Chris’ eyes were out on stalks half the time 😛 Total eye candy.
  2. The toilets. I don’t ~fear~ going into a public toilet, not even the ones at train stations. They are always spick and span, clean, and smell nice. NO pee smell, NO pee splattered all over the seat, and NO period blood on the seat and/or soaked on toilet paper and dumped into bins with no lids. It made me want to leave China for good, when I realised how awesome Japanese public toilets are 😛
  3. The queueing. The Japanese are so civilised and organised, they queue for everything. NO queue jumpers!! Everyone stands orderly on the left-side of escalators (so people in a rush can walk on the right-side) – unheard of in Shanghai. In the train stations, the people boarding the train stand to the side, and in a queue.. letting people off first. Take note of this China and Singapore!!!
  4. No shoving. At one of the busiest intersections in the world, NO ONE pushed me or elbowed me. People make the effort to not touch each other, and a bump results in a flurry of apologies from the offending party (instead of ignoring, or giving you a dirty stare). It was bliss… I’m so used to being pushed and shoved here, I almost felt weird with the lack of physical violence in Japan 😛
  5. Foreigners are treated normally. You don’t feel out of place as a tourist. Most of all, you’re NOT hassled until you want to punch someone. No one selling you random crap, no one hassling you for money, and no one trying to rip you off. It was bona fide bliss.

So what’s bad about Japan? I thought long and hard about this… and only came up with ONE thing. Prices. The fancy stuff is expensive. You can live fairly cheaply in Japan, but no where near China. In China, we get cheap massages any time we want, we have a housekeeper, we have a driver, and we can jump into a taxi without blinking. In Japan, that’s not possible on a normal day because it’s far too expensive. I think that alone makes China pretty awesome to live in 😛

United First International Lounge, at the Japan airport on the way back.
It was GORGEOUS and so plush inside!

A beer pourer (!) in the ANA Lounge, alongside an assortment of wines
and spirits. We were fascinated!

A SAKE BAR!!! All free in the Lounge *whee*

Nice hot bowl of ramen. UMMM TO CLARIFY:
That says “ANA”+logo, and not “ANAL”…. *ahem*

Fachon Paris ice cream and luscious clam chowder, all free in the Lounge as well.

Japanese snacks = heavenly. Royce chocolate-covered chips, strawberry mochi,
Pocky dessert sticks, Japanese cheesecakes, green tea.

• balletpumps posted on March 1, 2010 at 3:43 pm

Aww man! Japan looks awesome!! Seriously, is it ever possible to do Japan on a budget?? =)

• beverly posted on March 2, 2010 at 1:17 am

Yes.. but you’d only see/eat a small part of it! It’s def not the place for a cheap backpacking holiday 😛

• am_klutz posted on March 2, 2010 at 9:23 am

We did Tokyo, Kyoto, Hakone for about 10 days. S$4k including air fare, Shinkansens which costs USD$100+ per way, food. Minimal shopping. It’s quite doable. We walked a lot – ate a lot but we lost weight because we literally walked throughout the entire trip.

• scramlam posted on March 1, 2010 at 4:02 pm

I’ve loved reading all your entries recounting your trip to Japan! What a fascinating country & culture 🙂

• beverly posted on March 2, 2010 at 1:18 am

It’s one of my top countries, for sure. We loved it there 🙂

• lisette posted on March 1, 2010 at 7:23 pm

Aaaaaaaaa you just successfully made me miss Japan! ;___;

I love the Royce chocolate-covered chips as well ♥
    I’m drooling in the middle of the night upon seeing the snacks you bought! :9

Is the United lounge for all United passengers, or for business & first class passengers only? (Did you fly United?)

Yes, the bad thing about Japan is the prices! I wish the prices would be cheaper so I could go there anytime I want ;___;

• beverly posted on March 2, 2010 at 1:27 am

Those chips are AWESOME, i’m regretting I didn’t buy more!

The United lounge is for Business/First class only – but it’s part of the Star Alliance club (which includes United and other airlines) so Gold and Platinum members also go there!

• luvluvg posted on March 1, 2010 at 8:02 pm

Japan sounds like a dream! It’s high on my list of places to see someday. 😀

• beverly posted on March 2, 2010 at 1:29 am

It’s a wonderful country to visit IMHO, such a great experience. You def should go! 🙂

• rollagirl9 posted on March 1, 2010 at 10:02 pm

I concur with your excellent observations of Japan. Especially about the girls. I felt like a dowdy giant around them.

• beverly posted on March 2, 2010 at 1:31 am

Ya.. was a bit depressing! I very much wish I was born Japanese 😉

• balletpumps posted on March 1, 2010 at 3:43 pm

• beverly posted on March 2, 2010 at 1:17 am

• am_klutz posted on March 2, 2010 at 9:23 am

• scramlam posted on March 1, 2010 at 4:02 pm

• beverly posted on March 2, 2010 at 1:18 am

It’s one of my top countries, for sure. We loved it there 🙂

• girljas posted on March 2, 2010 at 12:15 am

I’ve loved all your travel posts but the Japan ones especially! 🙂

• beverly posted on March 2, 2010 at 1:44 am

It’s cos Japan’s just so interesting.. one of the best countries in asia imho 😛

• starbucksweetie posted on March 2, 2010 at 12:52 am

What a nice luxe way to end your trip.

• beverly posted on March 2, 2010 at 1:44 am

Yeah, it was def a nice little treat to chill out in the lounge!

• lisette posted on March 1, 2010 at 7:23 pm

Aaaaaaaaa you just successfully made me miss Japan! ;___;

I love the Royce chocolate-covered chips as well ♥
    I’m drooling in the middle of the night upon seeing the snacks you bought! :9

• beverly posted on March 2, 2010 at 1:27 am

Those chips are AWESOME, i’m regretting I didn’t buy more!

• luvluvg posted on March 1, 2010 at 8:02 pm

Japan sounds like a dream! It’s high on my list of places to see someday. 😀

• beverly posted on March 2, 2010 at 1:29 am

• rollagirl9 posted on March 1, 2010 at 10:02 pm

• beverly posted on March 2, 2010 at 1:31 am

Ya.. was a bit depressing! I very much wish I was born Japanese 😉

• girljas posted on March 2, 2010 at 12:15 am

I’ve loved all your travel posts but the Japan ones especially! 🙂

• beverly posted on March 2, 2010 at 1:44 am

It’s cos Japan’s just so interesting.. one of the best countries in asia imho 😛

• starbucksweetie posted on March 2, 2010 at 12:52 am

What a nice luxe way to end your trip.

• beverly posted on March 2, 2010 at 1:44 am

Yeah, it was def a nice little treat to chill out in the lounge!

• am_klutz posted on March 2, 2010 at 9:21 am

I totally agree on all of the above 🙂
    And yes! The hair! And the eye lashes! I was completely in awe! It looked as though they had a hair stylist everyday!

• beverly posted on March 2, 2010 at 2:45 pm

I knooooow! Was both in love with them, and also hating em for being so effortlessly pretty. Some of the guys are sooo hot too

• yoshi83 posted on March 2, 2010 at 12:08 pm

Hi, I’m Yoshi from Tokyo.
    Regularly, I read your blog and love your writing and photos =)

What you thought about Japan is so interesting!

I agree the girls here are slim and I feel the same.
    I didn’t feel fat when I was in overseas like Sydney or LA =P

Hope you will come back soon and explore more here!

• beverly posted on March 2, 2010 at 2:49 pm

Siiiiigh I am so envious you live in Tokyo! The Japanese are almost all just so lovely and put together.. wish I could live there 🙂

• peachietree posted on March 2, 2010 at 1:54 pm

I hear ya about Japanese women- I’m constantly staring at them trying to figure out how the whole makeup + hair + outfit combinations they put together look so amazing on them, but I’m sure on an American like it would just look ridiculous.

I think it’s reasonable to not need to take a taxi; the subway system is so much more extensive than in Shanghai or Beijing where you have to walk 15-20 min to get somewhere after exiting a station. Plus I love the feeling of the subway in Tokyo all the trains rushing by and going up and down through the skyscrapers!

• beverly posted on March 2, 2010 at 2:52 pm

SAME.. I just wanted to lift everything off them and mimic it 😉

In China we take taxis everywhere so I dont use trains, but in Japan the taxis are too expensive.. so when I compare it that way, it’s very tiring to get around in Japan!

• am_klutz posted on March 2, 2010 at 9:21 am

I totally agree on all of the above 🙂

• beverly posted on March 2, 2010 at 2:45 pm

• yoshi83 posted on March 2, 2010 at 12:08 pm

Hi, I’m Yoshi from Tokyo.
    Regularly, I read your blog and love your writing and photos =)

What you thought about Japan is so interesting!

I agree the girls here are slim and I feel the same.
    I didn’t feel fat when I was in overseas like Sydney or LA =P

Hope you will come back soon and explore more here!

• beverly posted on March 2, 2010 at 2:49 pm

• peachietree posted on March 2, 2010 at 1:54 pm

• beverly posted on March 2, 2010 at 2:52 pm

SAME.. I just wanted to lift everything off them and mimic it 😉

• exhileration posted on March 5, 2010 at 3:15 am

So jealous of all your travels!!!

• exhileration posted on March 5, 2010 at 3:15 am

So jealous of all your travels!!!