FOOD, Food reviews, Parties, Uncategorized COOGEE ENGAGEMENT PARTY, STRAITS KITCHEN 13 November 2006

2 ex-college friends had their engagement party yesterday, down by Coogee Beach. We were pretty blessed with lovely weather, considering it’s been dreary and miserable all week. It was great to catch up with everyone after so long, some people I hadn’t seen in years! What I found that was so different (and amusing) was that people actually had money now. All through living in college, we were eating crap college food and never really shopped. And now, people have cars, jobs, they’re going overseas, etc. Very cool. I also got my BBQ sausages and steak which I was VERY pleased with.. can’t go wrong with sausages and onions on bread :)~

Chris headed off for a swim with the guys, so I left with and a couple of others to Bondi Westfield for some shopping. Was very good and only spent $10 on a Bloom lipbrush (to use with my freebie Stila lipstick).. partly because Chris convinced me not to bring my wallet to the beach (gah!!), both of us not realising that I’d be off shopping afterwards 😉 D’oh! Came back to Coogee Beach afterwards and sat in the pretty Barzura Cafe having a coffee and deliciously-unhealthy fried potato chunks with sour cream and sweet chilli. Mmmm!

Straits Kitchen
Shop 476, Anzac Pde
Kingsford, NSW 2032
$$—

After that, Chris and I hit Straits Kitchen since we were in the area. Was actually not hungry from the coffee & potato chunks that I had just 5 mins ago, but persevered and stuffed the food into myself nonetheless 😉 A girl’s gotta do what she’s gotta do! Tagged, “the food you long for”, Straits Kitchen is pretty no-frills but their service is quick and friendly. I’ve only been there maybe 3 times, but the food has always been good and not too $$.

This time, Chris opted for the Singapore Chicken Curry with Roti Prata. “WHAT?! No Char Kway Teow??” you ask? Yes, no Char Kway Teow, strangely enough. And yes, I was a bit weirded out too. ANYWAY, the chicken curry was all “lemak” (ie. thick and creamy and coconutty) with big chunks of chicken and potato. We were surprised that it was quite spicy, but then realised the patrons were pretty much all Singaporeans/Malaysians so they don’t bother to cater for Western tastes. Roti Prata was a bit over-fried but still nice and substantial (2 thick pieces).

I had the Bak Chor Mee, which I was absolutely amazed to see on the menu. First time EVER I have seen it served in Australia!! It was exactly the same as in Singapore in terms of taste and ingredients, to my utter delight. Only difference was that there was twice as much ingredients, hurray 😀 The noodles were proper “mee pok” noodles, all smooth and slippery thanks to the generous amount of oil used (and yes, that is a good thing). Mince pork and mushrooms were delicious and so were the masses of fishballs/fishcakes. It was just terrific!!! Now I know where to go if I get Bak Chor Mee cravings. All washed down with an A&W Root Beer, my favourite soft drink.

The unfortunate thing was that I felt a little ill after that, because I was so full. Upon walking out, I saw my reflection side-ways and looked 3 months pregnant 🙁 Time to start eating less and not be so fat!!

Singapore Chicken Curry with Roti Prata

Bak Chor Mee

• starbucksweetie posted on November 13, 2006 at 1:01 am

For a moment when I read ENGAGEMENT PARTY, I thought you and Chris got engaged…Anyhow, all the food looks great!

• beverly posted on November 13, 2006 at 9:44 am

Haha nooooo.. but it was college friends who were dating for almost 6 years!

• tiffanyx posted on November 13, 2006 at 1:25 am

the bar chor mee looks good! 🙂

• beverly posted on November 13, 2006 at 9:51 am

I’m SO HAPPY to have found it here, hehe

• beverlyh posted on November 13, 2006 at 1:44 am

teehee i had straits kitchen for lunch on saturday! though they did have char kway teow. i forgot you lived on college- which college did you stay at?

• beverly posted on November 13, 2006 at 9:52 am

Heh it’s a small world, I love all the food along Anzac Parade, wish I lived closer! I stayed at New College btw

• babyflite posted on November 13, 2006 at 2:49 am

Merrill and I get our Bak Chor Mee fix from Straits Kitchen too. In fact we just had it on Friday. The portion now is actually a fair bit smaller (but still substantial). When they first opened, the portion was like twice the size! Seriously, I would eat and eat and eat but by the time I am full the noodles still looked untouched.

• beverly posted on November 13, 2006 at 9:56 am

It’s a small world. Can’t believe it used to be bigger! I think it makes the perfect meal size though, it was only because i’d eaten 5 mins earlier so it really stuffed me. It’s a decent portion for the $$, and so YUM

• irene82 posted on November 13, 2006 at 5:04 am

hmm that mee looks so good! yuuuum!

• beverly posted on November 13, 2006 at 9:56 am

I looove noodles, def going back for more!

• starbucksweetie posted on November 13, 2006 at 1:01 am

• beverly posted on November 13, 2006 at 9:44 am

Haha nooooo.. but it was college friends who were dating for almost 6 years!

• tiffanyx posted on November 13, 2006 at 1:25 am

the bar chor mee looks good! 🙂

• beverly posted on November 13, 2006 at 9:51 am

I’m SO HAPPY to have found it here, hehe

• beverlyh posted on November 13, 2006 at 1:44 am

• beverly posted on November 13, 2006 at 9:52 am

• babyflite posted on November 13, 2006 at 2:49 am

• beverly posted on November 13, 2006 at 9:56 am

• irene82 posted on November 13, 2006 at 5:04 am

hmm that mee looks so good! yuuuum!

• beverly posted on November 13, 2006 at 9:56 am

I looove noodles, def going back for more!

• j0s1e267 posted on November 13, 2006 at 5:55 pm

OMG, the bak chor mee looks so good! I want it!!!

• beverly posted on November 13, 2006 at 8:00 pm

I looove bak chor mee, I wish it was more easily available in AU!

• misskesha24 posted on November 13, 2006 at 6:52 pm

When I first read your post I thought too that you and chris are engaged but I am glad you got a chance to catch up your friends! Now I am have some time off from school that what I planning to do. In fact one of my friends I have not seen her in *almost eight years* of course we have kept in touch but nothing seeing how you have change since you first met each other! And your food reviews always rock!

• beverly posted on November 13, 2006 at 8:01 pm

heheh no, that would just be too weird! But yeah, strange to see everyone again after so many years

• j0s1e267 posted on November 13, 2006 at 5:55 pm

OMG, the bak chor mee looks so good! I want it!!!

• beverly posted on November 13, 2006 at 8:00 pm

I looove bak chor mee, I wish it was more easily available in AU!

• misskesha24 posted on November 13, 2006 at 6:52 pm