FOOD, Food reviews, Uncategorized BEARD PAPA, RAMEN-KAN 29 August 2006

Beard Papa’s
Store 9206, Westfield Shopping Centre
Chatswood NSW 2067
$$$–

Was delighted when we paid Beard Papa’s a visit and discovered their new Green Tea custard puffs were out! A minty-green colour, they look a bit odd but taste oh-so-goooood :)~ It has a more interesting flavour than the vanilla custard, but is still really subtle and light, so it’s not overpowering. Really fresh, light and just sweet enough.

Beard Papa’s green tea puff (AU$2.50). It was blimmin’ fabulous!

Ramen-Kan
Shop 6, 272 Victoria Ave
Chatswood, NSW 2067
$$—

Had dinner afterwards at Ramen-Kan, a favourite every time we’re at Chatswood. For around AU$10, you’ll leave with a full belly, which is not too bad for Sydney. Their specialty really is their Ramen noodles.. so we got our favourite one, Cold Ramen and egg mayonnaise & chilli jam. It’s the BEST ramen dish they have by far, IMHO. The noodles are al dente and in a slightly sour sauce, served with big fat chunks of fried chicken and topped with a creamy egg mayonnaise and tasty chilli jam. It’s to die for!! Also decided to try out the Chicken Katsu Curry with rice and salad which surprised me when it came – it was just swimming in the curry sauce! They didn’t give much chicken though, much to my disappointment. It was good, but not spectacular, so will probably try another dish instead next time.

Ramen-Kan Chicken Katsu Curry with rice and salad

Ramen-Kan with Cold Ramen and egg mayonnaise & chilli jam

• oo_mimi_oo posted on August 29, 2006 at 5:51 am

that ramen is making me drooolll =)~

• beverly posted on August 29, 2006 at 11:23 am

That ramen dish is always SO nice :)~

• plwh888 posted on August 29, 2006 at 5:59 am

OMG ! the Ramen-Kan Chicken Katsu Curry with rice and salad make me drool like an idiot now ! hehehe

• beverly posted on August 29, 2006 at 11:26 am

Hehe, it was a nice winter meal. Your icon is so cute btw!

• Anonymous posted on August 29, 2006 at 6:19 am

oh wow! new green tea beard papa looks yummy!! I’m craving some right now. 😀

oo next time I go to Ramen kan I shall try the cold ramen dish… looks good!
    I haven’t been to Ramen-kan lately tho, I always go to Menya instead. It’s nice there too!

• beverly posted on August 29, 2006 at 11:28 am

I do prefer the green tea flavour to the regular vanilla one.. but both are nice. So is the chocolate, but think I like that the least.

Def try the cold ramen – it’s actually a summer dish so you’ll have to specially request it, but they’ll make it for you if you describe what it is! Whereabouts is Menya? I haven’t heard of it 🙁

• __pinkpony posted on August 29, 2006 at 3:39 pm

oh oops that was me!

it’s a shame there’s only one Beard Papa, in Chatswood. Atleast make one in the city somewhere! 😛

The address for Menya is:
        Level Ground, Shop TG8, 8 Quay St
        Sydney NSW 2000

It’s near Market City! You walk up further and you’ll see it, it’s near the other Chinese restaurants. 🙂

• beverly posted on August 29, 2006 at 9:40 pm

Ooo thanks, gotta check it out! 🙂

• thefragrantelf posted on August 29, 2006 at 7:09 am

Oh boy. I want that one and egg mayonnaise & chilli jam. *droooools*

• beverly posted on August 29, 2006 at 11:29 am

It’s yummmmm and ALWAYS done perfectly! :)~

• eviltofu posted on August 29, 2006 at 8:31 am

You make my cholesterol raise!

• beverly posted on August 29, 2006 at 11:29 am

Hee I don’t think the stuff’s TOO unhealthy? Well, depends what you compare with, I guess 😉

• __xopricktor posted on August 29, 2006 at 12:44 pm

hey~

theres a ramen kan in chatswood?!

i go to the one in chinatown, upstairs from oppostite darling harbour.
    is it the same one?

i love ramen kan there.. so cheap. they have the same food.. so probably the same. and the atmosphere is maad there too. all the workers are jap.. so i get to practice! lol

• beverly posted on August 29, 2006 at 9:43 pm

Re: hey~

Yep! Their other branch is at Chatswood.. same food 🙂

• oo_mimi_oo posted on August 29, 2006 at 5:51 am

that ramen is making me drooolll =)~

• beverly posted on August 29, 2006 at 11:23 am

That ramen dish is always SO nice :)~

• plwh888 posted on August 29, 2006 at 5:59 am

• beverly posted on August 29, 2006 at 11:26 am

Hehe, it was a nice winter meal. Your icon is so cute btw!

• malorieheaven posted on August 29, 2006 at 2:09 pm

Beard Papa’s is so amazing! Best cream puffs, though we don’t get green tea flavor over here, they are definately the best. yum. Your posts make me so hungry.

• beverly posted on August 29, 2006 at 9:44 pm

I normally don’t really go for cream puffs, but Beard Papa’s the exception :)~

• Anonymous posted on August 29, 2006 at 6:19 am

oh wow! new green tea beard papa looks yummy!! I’m craving some right now. 😀

oo next time I go to Ramen kan I shall try the cold ramen dish… looks good!

• beverly posted on August 29, 2006 at 11:28 am

• __pinkpony posted on August 29, 2006 at 3:39 pm

oh oops that was me!

The address for Menya is:
        Level Ground, Shop TG8, 8 Quay St
        Sydney NSW 2000

• beverly posted on August 29, 2006 at 9:40 pm

Ooo thanks, gotta check it out! 🙂

• thefragrantelf posted on August 29, 2006 at 7:09 am

Oh boy. I want that one and egg mayonnaise & chilli jam. *droooools*

• beverly posted on August 29, 2006 at 11:29 am

It’s yummmmm and ALWAYS done perfectly! :)~

• etherealprey posted on August 29, 2006 at 4:25 pm

hmm cream puffs…we have the green tea, the organic strawberry, sesame, chocolate, coffee, royal tea jelly something it tastes like bubble tea…hee hee…hmmm makes me wanna get a cream puff…

• beverly posted on August 29, 2006 at 9:45 pm

Ooo you have so many more flavours! they’ve only got 3 flavours here 🙁

• eviltofu posted on August 29, 2006 at 8:31 am

You make my cholesterol raise!

• beverly posted on August 29, 2006 at 11:29 am

• __xopricktor posted on August 29, 2006 at 12:44 pm

hey~

theres a ramen kan in chatswood?!

i go to the one in chinatown, upstairs from oppostite darling harbour.
    is it the same one?

• beverly posted on August 29, 2006 at 9:43 pm

Re: hey~

Yep! Their other branch is at Chatswood.. same food 🙂

• malorieheaven posted on August 29, 2006 at 2:09 pm

• beverly posted on August 29, 2006 at 9:44 pm

I normally don’t really go for cream puffs, but Beard Papa’s the exception :)~

• etherealprey posted on August 29, 2006 at 4:25 pm

• beverly posted on August 29, 2006 at 9:45 pm

Ooo you have so many more flavours! they’ve only got 3 flavours here 🙁

• juicymary posted on August 30, 2006 at 2:50 am

The Cold Ramen and egg mayonnaise & chilli jam looks sooo good! I wish I could cook something similar. I’m hungry now 🙂

• beverly posted on August 30, 2006 at 7:51 am

It’s my fave dish when I’m there.. they do it SO well, it’s just perfect. Yum! But I don’t think I could cook it myself, too hard :X

• juicymary posted on August 30, 2006 at 2:50 am

• beverly posted on August 30, 2006 at 7:51 am

• ginamoog posted on August 31, 2006 at 12:50 am

Hi:) I added you, you probably would never remember me, but I used to converse a tiny bit with you through email way back when you had your own webpages set up w/a journal & all that.

So.. it was a delight to see you had a livejournal!

• beverly posted on August 31, 2006 at 11:46 am

Hey chica! I added you as well 🙂

• ginamoog posted on August 31, 2006 at 12:50 am

So.. it was a delight to see you had a livejournal!

• beverly posted on August 31, 2006 at 11:46 am

Hey chica! I added you as well 🙂

• waltac posted on September 2, 2006 at 5:48 pm

Yew i didn’t like the green tea puff not after i tasted the vanilla one.

• beverly posted on September 2, 2006 at 11:13 pm

Ahhh really? I thought it was blimmin’ fantastic, I like the vanilla and green tea ones equally i think

• waltac posted on September 2, 2006 at 5:48 pm

Yew i didn’t like the green tea puff not after i tasted the vanilla one.

• beverly posted on September 2, 2006 at 11:13 pm

• Anonymous posted on May 14, 2007 at 8:06 am

Beard Papa

Hi,
    I just saw on the website that theyre opening a Beard Papa at Macquarie Centre! Yippee, now I dont have to travel all the way to Chatswood. They are so addictive….

• Anonymous posted on May 14, 2007 at 8:06 am