Beauty THE WONDERS OF GEL NAILS 24 September 2011

I live in the Stone Age or something.. because I’d never tried out the wonders of gel nails. I’d heard the term thrown around and knew it was all the rage in Shanghai, but always got regular manicures because I’d heard of the horrors of acrylic nails and didn’t want to do anything strange to my nails.

I haven’t managed to get a proper manicure since giving birth. It’s not practical, because it’s hard to find the time and the nailpolish smudges or scratches easily since I handle Hunter so much and do the dishes/wash stuff constantly.

I’m glad I decided to take the leap and try out gel nails with babyflite. The whole process is almost identical to regular nail polish application, except after each coat, you stick your hand under a UV lamp to ‘set’ the polish. It sets super hard and shiny within 2 minutes and DOES NOT SMUDGE! This means I could bang my fingers around and go about my usual business and household chores without fearing I’d damage my pretty new manicure.

Freakin’ amazing. And to think it took me this long to find out about gel nails. Sheesh.

I am a total convert. It’s amazing how regular nail polish absolutely pales in comparison now. The advice is to get the gel nails done once or twice, then get them removed (this is done by soaking them in a solution for a few mins) and leave your nails be for a few weeks to ‘breathe’. Same as a regular manicure to be honest, as I don’t like having stuff covering my nails constantly.

Oh the simple joys of getting a mani/pedi

Why is the iPhone's front-facing camera so much worse? You look uglier AND the quality isn't as good. Fail.

Sparkling pink (and super shiny) gel nails. LOVE!

• Danae Lim on Facebook posted on September 24, 2011 at 8:44 am

Been thinking of getting them but was hesitating since I am lugging luggage around traveling. Will see if I can get it done in hk! I think they have more designs and I can ask to buy the solution to get it off!

• Beverly! posted on September 24, 2011 at 10:01 am

They are EXCELLENT and indestructible! You seriously do get hooked…

• Chris Lim on Facebook posted on September 24, 2011 at 8:49 am

Can you still carry weights with gel nails?

• Beverly! posted on September 24, 2011 at 10:02 am

Pffftttt 😉 Light weights only. Hahahhaa.. joking!

• littlemisskeira posted on September 24, 2011 at 10:01 am

Welcome to the club! I even signed a gel manicure package coz i so know I need this….:P

• Beverly! posted on September 24, 2011 at 8:04 pm

They are sooo addictive. Can’t believe I only just discovered them now!

• angelamok posted on September 24, 2011 at 11:12 am

i so agree on this: Next time I’m going for the clear base-coat with shimmer tips, cos it lasts longer (as nail growth isn’t as obvious)

i did the exact same time, and had mine for 4.5wks. although not really recommended lar. had to give it a rest for a couple of weeks thereafter. =]

• Beverly! posted on September 24, 2011 at 8:06 pm

Yeah I def want to try that next time.. but having to ‘rest’ the nails is soo annoying, esp since you have to go there anyway for the soak-off!

• angelamok posted on September 25, 2011 at 9:27 am

it’s actually the soak off that’s quite a pain [for some, literally!]. the first soak off was pretty alright. the subsequent ones are rather damaging for ’em nails.

would suggest you religiously use cuticle/nail oil after the soak off every night. it helps!

• Beverly! posted on September 25, 2011 at 4:52 pm

ACK that sounds a bit scary! I hope mine doesn’t hurt :X

Thanks for the tip on the oil… I def will do that 🙂

• Cindy Ng on Facebook posted on September 24, 2011 at 2:23 pm

I need to go get my nails done too!!

• Beverly! posted on September 24, 2011 at 8:07 pm

You def need gel nails, since you have 2 kids! I’m so shocked at how indestructible they are.. I keep staring at them in amazement, lol

• Deb posted on September 24, 2011 at 3:44 pm

Is that gel nails or gel nail polish (I think it’s called Shellac or something)? I saw them at the nail spa today and was a bit hesitant coz the last time I did gel nails (similar to acrylic nails) it was rather disastrous. I’ll probably give them a go next time!!

• Beverly! posted on September 24, 2011 at 8:08 pm

It’s using Gellish polish and then a UV lamp to dry/set them. I did hear acrylics are quite bad for the nails so I’ve never done that, but I think even with gels, you need thick/strong nails for best results? Not sure…!

• Corsage @ A Dollop Of Me posted on September 24, 2011 at 7:49 pm

I love how they look but I’m afraid they’ll kill my nails so I haven’t dared try!!

• Beverly! posted on September 24, 2011 at 8:09 pm

Its why I haven’t even, cos I didn’t know much about it and thought they were like acrylics. I’m hoping these work well for me cos they are GORGEOUS!

• chicmcmuffin posted on September 26, 2011 at 10:43 am

Yeah, I prefer Shellac too, rather than gel nails. But indestructible nails FTW!

• Beverly! posted on September 26, 2011 at 10:47 am

I’m so amazed that they don’t chip! Perfect for mums, heh…

• Pei posted on September 26, 2011 at 12:22 pm

I have Shellac on my nails as well and love them. They’re easily removed with regular nail polish…the key is to soak the cotton thoroughly and wrap foil around the cotton+nail tightly. I’ve had gel polish on for a few weeks now and my nails haven’t weakened at all!

• Beverly! posted on September 27, 2011 at 11:36 am

Is Shellac the same as Gellish? That’s the one I got. HOpefully it all turn out well for me.. esp the removal part!