Pregnancy, Uncategorized PREGNANCY REFLECTIONS 29 December 2010

Isn’t it startling 2010 is just a tick away from being “last year”?

And memorably, today, I hit Full term. Whilst my due date is 19 Jan, this means our lil boy is OK to come out anytime between today and end of Jan (almost 90% of women will give birth during this period before/after their due date). It’s exciting, to say the least πŸ™‚

I really love being pregnant. I love everything about it! Sometimes, I feel like it’s better being pregnant than it is being ‘normal’. I find I’m more in-tune and fascinated with my body than before. It feels so nice, stroking my belly and feeling his movements (ok, maybe not so nice when he’s violently kicking!), and eagerly anticipating our own little family. At times, I’m just floored by the fact that I have a mini-us growing inside me. It’s brought Chris and I so much closer that I was surprised. I read somewhere once, that a woman’s respect and love for her husband increases exponentially by the way he behaves as a father. I didn’t understand it then, but I do now. Chris’ support and care of me during the past 9 months has made me see him in a totally new light. He’s very obviously going to be a very good father and I am so so grateful I married him πŸ™‚

These are just some of the things I learned in the past few months… writing them down here it’ll serve as a lil reminder to myself when I’m pregnant again:

Don’t compare yourself to other pregnant women. This is a lot easier said than done! Every woman is so different, and you’re only setting yourself up for stress and doubt if you compare. Despite having a really un-eventful pregnancy, I actually found myself comparing myself to other women and being a bit disappointed at the start when I wasn’t feeling the “standard” symptoms of nausea, aches, etc. Hard to explain, but it felt to me that I wasn’t really legitimately pregnant, and didn’t make me feel like I was part of the exclusive pregnancy club.

Accept your weight gain. I won’t lie – my 13KG weight gain alarmed the CRAP outta me! But overall, I’m not obese and our baby is very healthy, and it’s actually quite fascinating to see my body change and look so different each month. It’s also quite funny seeing people’s wide-eyed stares when they see me wandering around town by myself when I’m so heavily pregnant πŸ˜› Without fail I get strangers blurting out a “Why are you moving so quickly, and by yourself? Shouldn’t you be at home in bed?!” I also get a lot of “You’re huge!” comments, but they no longer bug me.

Don’t forget about your husband. Actually, don’t forget anyone around you in general! You may be pregnant, but that doesn’t make you the center of the universe and it doesn’t give you free-reign to rant & bitch about anything and everything like a crazy person. Spare some consideration for the people around you, even when your hormones are driving you batshit insane πŸ˜› Appreciate what they do for you. Most of all, involve your husband and remember that it is HIS baby too, so he has 50% say! Thank him for everything that he does for you and enjoy your “us time” before your little two-some adds on a third (very noisy) wee one πŸ™‚

Exercise. I’m a totally changed person! Pre-pregnancy, I wasn’t a fan of any activity, preferring to sit my ass on the couch. But the day I found out I was pregnant, it stirred up this deep and desperate desire to exercise. It’s insatiable. Since Week 7, I’ve been hitting the gym (treadmill at a steep incline, elliptical, cycling, weights machine) 3x a week, 45-60mins each session. Regularly, every single time without fail. I find that I have all this pent-up energy that makes me exercise, and I keep craving it. I’d go daily if I had the time. The exercise makes me feel super-fit, healthy, puts him to sleep, and I truly believe is the reason why I’ve had a really pleasant and laid-back pregnancy the past 9 months. My proof? For the past 1-2 weeks I’ve had to abstain from exercise, and suddenly I feel irritable and itchy and get aches. But happily I can go back to my 3x/week gym routine again this weekend and I CAN’T WAIT!!!

To all the pregnant women out there – I hope you have a safe and happy pregnancy and delivery. Can’t wait to see your little bundle of joy as well!

To all the trying-to-get-pregnant women out there – I hope you do soon and also enjoy your wonderful 9 months, it’s a freakin fun journey! I think there is no greater gift than to become a mother, so can’t wait for you to be one too πŸ™‚

To all the already mothers – I leave you my favourite mum-related quote, “God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers.”

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• jesuisariel posted on December 29, 2010 at 10:55 am

So excited to read that you are finally full-term, Bev! Take care and God bless. I can’t wait to read about your birth story. LOL!

• beverly posted on December 30, 2010 at 3:33 am

Yeah, I wonder if my birth story will make people faint with horror, or if it goes relatively ok.. well, time will tell!

• jesuisariel posted on December 30, 2010 at 5:40 am

You’ll be fine, dearie!

• tiffanyx posted on December 29, 2010 at 11:01 am

it had been awesome reading your preggers journey! now, for the end ‘product’!

• beverly posted on December 30, 2010 at 3:34 am

Very soon now, sooo looking fwd to it!

• blondedawn posted on December 29, 2010 at 12:32 pm

great advice πŸ™‚ i love being pregnant too! πŸ™‚

• beverly posted on December 30, 2010 at 3:42 am

It’s fun hey.. quite magical feeling your baby wriggle inside you πŸ™‚

• follywoolly posted on December 29, 2010 at 3:45 pm

Hi beverly, I’ve been reading your journal for years now (though i rarely comment.. my apologies!). i find myself filled with immense joy that your little boy will be joining your family really soon. I think that God is just great that he has created this beautiful world! God bless and have a brilliant 2011!

• beverly posted on December 30, 2010 at 3:44 am

Aww thank you very much! Happy holidays and a wonderful 2011 to you too πŸ™‚

• exhileration posted on December 29, 2010 at 5:22 pm

Congrats on being full term! Can’t wait for the big day!

• beverly posted on December 30, 2010 at 3:56 am

I hope it comes sooner than later, but who knows.. I am more than ready though, heh!

• carorules posted on December 29, 2010 at 6:52 pm

I was born Jan 20th! πŸ˜‰

It’s weird cuz my friend who was pregnant (had her baby a week ago!) was exercising a lot but when she got pregnant, her energy level went down and she had to stop. Proof that every pregnant women is different.

• beverly posted on December 30, 2010 at 3:58 am

I super hope he is born around then too!
      Yeah pregnancy symptoms hit in so many different ways.. I know women that beefed up their exercise and others that entirely stopped!

• jesuisariel posted on December 29, 2010 at 10:55 am

• beverly posted on December 30, 2010 at 3:33 am

• jesuisariel posted on December 30, 2010 at 5:40 am

You’ll be fine, dearie!

• tiffanyx posted on December 29, 2010 at 11:01 am

it had been awesome reading your preggers journey! now, for the end ‘product’!

• beverly posted on December 30, 2010 at 3:34 am

Very soon now, sooo looking fwd to it!

• blondedawn posted on December 29, 2010 at 12:32 pm

great advice πŸ™‚ i love being pregnant too! πŸ™‚

• beverly posted on December 30, 2010 at 3:42 am

It’s fun hey.. quite magical feeling your baby wriggle inside you πŸ™‚

• pikaluu posted on December 29, 2010 at 10:55 pm

Love this entry πŸ™‚ I’ve really enjoyed following your journey into motherhood. My husband and I are gonna start trying next summer, and I’m looking forward to pregnancy!

• beverly posted on December 30, 2010 at 5:26 am

Oooh exciting, and all the best! You may have a lil bubba just 1 year younger than ours πŸ™‚

• follywoolly posted on December 29, 2010 at 3:45 pm

• beverly posted on December 30, 2010 at 3:44 am

Aww thank you very much! Happy holidays and a wonderful 2011 to you too πŸ™‚

• exhileration posted on December 29, 2010 at 5:22 pm

Congrats on being full term! Can’t wait for the big day!

• beverly posted on December 30, 2010 at 3:56 am

• myeisha_l posted on December 30, 2010 at 2:13 am

Thanks for sharing and It’s awesome that you have such a wonderful experience, very positive! All the very best as you await the arrival of your boy and May God be with you especially during this waiting period. Happy New Year! I’m sure next year is an exciting one πŸ™‚

• beverly posted on December 30, 2010 at 5:29 am

Well.. the hardest part is labour/birth so I guess we’ll see how I go then, heh!

• carorules posted on December 29, 2010 at 6:52 pm

I was born Jan 20th! πŸ˜‰

• beverly posted on December 30, 2010 at 3:58 am

I super hope he is born around then too!

• fuchsiacow posted on December 30, 2010 at 4:03 am

Can’t wait to see your little one. πŸ™‚

• beverly posted on December 30, 2010 at 5:40 am

Aww thanks hon, us too, OMG!

• consilium posted on December 30, 2010 at 5:13 am

Happy full term and wish you a smooth delivery!

I miss everything about being pregnant; good skin, thick luscious hair, good mood, good everything!

• beverly posted on December 30, 2010 at 5:45 am

The good skin is def a huge bonus! And extra nice treatment from strangers, hee

• chai77 posted on December 30, 2010 at 6:17 am

Congrats, Bev and Chris! Such an exciting time for you both! I’m so emotional when it comes to babies that I actually got a bit teary reading this *cough* πŸ˜‰ Sending you best wishes for a lifetime of happiness!

• beverly posted on December 30, 2010 at 1:18 pm

Aww heh, well I get all interested and emotional about babies now too – how things have changed!

• pikaluu posted on December 29, 2010 at 10:55 pm

• beverly posted on December 30, 2010 at 5:26 am

• claypot posted on December 30, 2010 at 7:52 am

Great insight and I think you have a great attitude towards your pregnancy. Whenever it is that it’s my turn I’ll be sure to look back on your posts! Good luck with the birth!

• beverly posted on December 30, 2010 at 1:24 pm

Well, we’ll see how I cope with labour and birth I guess πŸ˜› I’m praying it all goes ok!

• babyrussell posted on December 30, 2010 at 7:56 am

Awesome, babe. πŸ™‚

I’ve really enjoyed ‘journey-ing’ vicariously through your pregnancy with you. You’re both going to be such wonderful parents and your bubba us so blessed to be able to grow innan environment that is so positive and so full of love.

Enjoy the remaining few weeks of pregnancy. Am so excited for you amidst what lies ahead!! /big hugs

• beverly posted on December 30, 2010 at 1:28 pm

I guess it’s a bit of deja vu for you too, hee! It will be quite fun for when I’m pregnant again, to read all this.. πŸ™‚

• debbstar posted on December 30, 2010 at 7:59 am

actually i loved being pregnant too! i had some morning sickness but relatively mild compared to some of the other women i know…

and i walked everywhere! i took the train to work until the last two weeks when i just got waaay too heavy.

have a safe and speedy birth!

• beverly posted on December 30, 2010 at 1:35 pm

You’re very fortunate πŸ™‚ And yeah, I think the last 1-2 weeks are the worst cos NOW I start to get aches and feel the clumsiness cos of the weight! I can’t wait to go back to the gym, starting this weekend, yayyyy

• myeisha_l posted on December 30, 2010 at 2:13 am

• beverly posted on December 30, 2010 at 5:29 am

• fuchsiacow posted on December 30, 2010 at 4:03 am

Can’t wait to see your little one. πŸ™‚

• beverly posted on December 30, 2010 at 5:40 am

Aww thanks hon, us too, OMG!

• consilium posted on December 30, 2010 at 5:13 am

Happy full term and wish you a smooth delivery!

• beverly posted on December 30, 2010 at 5:45 am

The good skin is def a huge bonus! And extra nice treatment from strangers, hee

• chai77 posted on December 30, 2010 at 6:17 am

• beverly posted on December 30, 2010 at 1:18 pm

• claypot posted on December 30, 2010 at 7:52 am

• beverly posted on December 30, 2010 at 1:24 pm

• babyrussell posted on December 30, 2010 at 7:56 am

Awesome, babe. πŸ™‚

• beverly posted on December 30, 2010 at 1:28 pm

• debbstar posted on December 30, 2010 at 7:59 am

have a safe and speedy birth!

• beverly posted on December 30, 2010 at 1:35 pm

• beverly posted on December 31, 2010 at 1:30 pm

Thanks hon! Jan is gonna be epic πŸ˜›

• beverly posted on December 31, 2010 at 1:30 pm

Thanks hon! Jan is gonna be epic πŸ˜›

• chinado11 posted on January 3, 2011 at 6:40 pm

wishing you an easy and uneventful delivery! β™₯ i enjoyed following your journey, and i can’t wait to “meet” him! i’m three weeks behind you so i’m almost there!

(btw, i have to admit though that while i love the baby, and love feeling her move, i hate being pregnant. i can honestly say that, for me, pregnancy is worse than labor. lol.)

• beverly posted on January 4, 2011 at 5:00 am

You’re so close too! I hope our labour and births are relatively uncomplicated…… all the best to you too πŸ™‚

• chinado11 posted on January 3, 2011 at 6:40 pm