Barcelona, Uncategorized EUROTRIP: HOT CHOCOLATE IN BARCELONA 6 September 2010

In Barcelona, you just HAVE to have their traditional Spanish hot chocolate! We decided on the famous La Granja Viader (4 Carrer D’en XuclΓ , Barri GΓ²tic, Barcelona). It has the honour of being titled Barcelona’s oldest milk bar, opened in 1870. Chris immediately noted that it looked like the inside of a Hong Kong old-school cafe, LOL! Relaxed and casual, it makes for a lovely place to rest your weary feet after all that walking.

Of course, the Hot chocolate with whipped cream is a must-have. It’s totally different to regular hot chocolate in other areas of the world. It comes piping hot in a coffee cup, with a very very very thick consistency – kind of like a chocolate pudding. You use your spoon to eat it, as it’s not meant to be sipped from the cup. It’s not as sweet as regular hot chocolate, and is actually pretty unusual! It comes with a WHOPPER dollop of whipped cream, thick and slowly melting into the hot chocolate. We use a spoon to scoop a bit of the hot chocolate, then scoop a little of the whipped cream. Mmmmmm…………

Spanish hot chocolate is best eaten with some Melindros, a typical Barcelona cake. They’re similiar to “lady fingers”, the cakey-biscuits you find in tiramisu. The combination of the Melindros dipped in the hot molten chocolate is explosive – the flavour of the sweet cake and the thick chocolate made my tastebuds sing. It is SO GOOD!!!

La Granja Viader

Spanish hot chocolate with whipped cream, and Melindros

Thick lusciousness….

Another typical drink is barcelona is Orxata. Orxata is a summertime delight in Barcelona. It’s a milky-textured drink served icy cold, and made with tigernuts, water, and sugar. The result is a sweet and milky drink that is utterly refreshing in the warm summer months. I drank this all the time because it was flat-out delish! The other drink I liked was Cafe Bombon, which is simply an espresso served with condensed milk at the bottom. It reminded me very much of traditional Singaporean coffee πŸ˜‰

Cafe Escriba

The simple interior

Orxata (on the left), a cream-filled pastry, and Bombon coffee

Inside the buttery pastry

Incredible, buttery toasted bread with bits of veggies

Their large selection of pastries

• starbucksweetie posted on September 6, 2010 at 3:10 pm

The food looks and sounds delicious. I’ve never thought of Barcelona as a “foodie” place.

• beverly posted on September 7, 2010 at 3:08 am

Ohhh it really is, we just adored the food there

• princesszhing posted on September 6, 2010 at 3:48 pm

good lord!!! looks luscious! one quick question! do you spend a lot of time food/trip researching before you go on vacay?

you seem to find all the great places!!

• beverly posted on September 7, 2010 at 3:28 am

Yeah we did do some searching online, but a lot of it was randomly stumbled upon cos even if we draw up an itinerary, we don’t stick to it πŸ˜›

• l_i_z posted on September 6, 2010 at 3:59 pm

Woooowwwwwwwww that all looks SO DELICIOUS!

• beverly posted on September 7, 2010 at 3:28 am

I want that kinda hot chocolate here in Shanghai too!

• joni_to0622 posted on September 6, 2010 at 4:46 pm

Oh I love their chocolate caliente too!! they were so rich in taste and thick!!

• beverly posted on September 7, 2010 at 3:31 am

I reckon hot choc is best in Europe *nods*

• hyperion1 posted on September 6, 2010 at 4:59 pm

mmm.. that hot chocolate looks delicious! so glad you are enjoying your trip!! love all the pics πŸ™‚

• beverly posted on September 7, 2010 at 3:32 am

I miss it already πŸ˜› Hope all’s well with lil Avery!

• marmalade81 posted on September 6, 2010 at 6:00 pm

wow that hot chocolate looks heavenly! even the toast looks good and I don’t normally like toast =p

• beverly posted on September 7, 2010 at 3:33 am

We were so surprised to see a chocolate pudding type drink, was expecting a liquid one, hehe. It’s unique to Barcelona!

• starbucksweetie posted on September 6, 2010 at 3:10 pm

• beverly posted on September 7, 2010 at 3:08 am

Ohhh it really is, we just adored the food there

• princesszhing posted on September 6, 2010 at 3:48 pm

you seem to find all the great places!!

• beverly posted on September 7, 2010 at 3:28 am

• madaboutsprees posted on September 6, 2010 at 11:49 pm

the whipped cream is calling my name!!! it looks so good!!

• beverly posted on September 7, 2010 at 3:33 am

Fresh whipped cream is soooooo good, I’m a total convert :)~

• l_i_z posted on September 6, 2010 at 3:59 pm

Woooowwwwwwwww that all looks SO DELICIOUS!

• beverly posted on September 7, 2010 at 3:28 am

I want that kinda hot chocolate here in Shanghai too!

• joni_to0622 posted on September 6, 2010 at 4:46 pm

Oh I love their chocolate caliente too!! they were so rich in taste and thick!!

• beverly posted on September 7, 2010 at 3:31 am

I reckon hot choc is best in Europe *nods*

• hyperion1 posted on September 6, 2010 at 4:59 pm

• beverly posted on September 7, 2010 at 3:32 am

I miss it already πŸ˜› Hope all’s well with lil Avery!

• good_lenchik posted on September 7, 2010 at 1:08 am

I would fly there only for that hot chocolate with lady fingers. Thanks god they don’t have it in Shanghai, otherwise I will put on weight with the speed of light.

• beverly posted on September 7, 2010 at 3:34 am

Yeah that combination is DIVINE. But I have a bunch more awesome yummy food in Barcelona coming up… we loved it all so much, the SPanish food in Shanghai is no where similar, so sad πŸ™

• marmalade81 posted on September 6, 2010 at 6:00 pm

• beverly posted on September 7, 2010 at 3:33 am

• rainingumbrella posted on September 7, 2010 at 2:39 am

I agree with starbucksweetie! I never would have thought of Barcelona as having so much good food, but man, does that hot chocolate look amazing.

• beverly posted on September 7, 2010 at 3:35 am

It really is! We went a little wild there… hehe

• Anonymous posted on September 7, 2010 at 7:23 am

No churros with your chocolate??! πŸ˜‰

• beverly posted on September 7, 2010 at 10:40 am

Those melindros were waaaay better dipped in, IMHO! πŸ˜›

• madaboutsprees posted on September 6, 2010 at 11:49 pm

the whipped cream is calling my name!!! it looks so good!!

• beverly posted on September 7, 2010 at 3:33 am

Fresh whipped cream is soooooo good, I’m a total convert :)~

• good_lenchik posted on September 7, 2010 at 1:08 am

• beverly posted on September 7, 2010 at 3:34 am

• rainingumbrella posted on September 7, 2010 at 2:39 am

• beverly posted on September 7, 2010 at 3:35 am

It really is! We went a little wild there… hehe

• Anonymous posted on September 7, 2010 at 11:41 am

yeah I remember orxata is a bit like our asian soy milk, yum! Makes me want to go back and buy a whole leg of jamon serrano!

• beverly posted on September 7, 2010 at 1:05 pm

Ooooh yes that’s a good comparison. It’s quite similiar, I love both!

• tiffanyx posted on September 7, 2010 at 12:08 pm

pretty pretty pastries!

• Anonymous posted on September 7, 2010 at 7:23 am

No churros with your chocolate??! πŸ˜‰

• beverly posted on September 7, 2010 at 10:40 am

Those melindros were waaaay better dipped in, IMHO! πŸ˜›

• Anonymous posted on September 7, 2010 at 11:41 am

• beverly posted on September 7, 2010 at 1:05 pm

Ooooh yes that’s a good comparison. It’s quite similiar, I love both!

• tiffanyx posted on September 7, 2010 at 12:08 pm