FOOD, Food reviews, Uncategorized COTTON’S 26 January 2010

Cotton’s
132 Anting Lu,
French Concession
Shanghai, China

PRICE: ????
RATING:

Tucked away in the French Concession, Cotton’s is charmingly located in a historic villa with a lovely outdoor garden and a cozy fireplace inside. It looks like the perfect “comfort spot” for winter, and on this particular day is buzzing with people as we’re all celebrating one of many Christmas parties (yes, I know this post is a bit late!).

We were, of course, far more interested in the food. The menu is an eclectic mix of cuisines, but we zoom in on the German-ish food. The schnitzel and fries is decent – large portion of schnitzel and thick cut fries. The chicken cordon bleu is declared “average” by my friend. I find my baked meat and cheese on toast great though. There is a proper name for this on the menu, but I forgot. It is essentially meat and cheese, and top of toast. I’m surprised the toast used is just cheap thin bread – I would’ve expected nice thick-cut bread at least. Fortunately, it is very tasty – I mean, anything smothered in cheese tends to be that way, right? 😉

The fries with four dips was impressive, and the dips were great, though it was a shame the fries were quite overcooked (or maybe re-cooked?). Their hot toddy, a warm mulled wine, is fantastic.. and I nurse mine with glee. However, Chris’ warm whiskey mix (forgot the name) is undrinkable – like drinking warm cheap whiskey mixed with something that we couldn’t quite place.

The food is average, but I suppose since it IS a bar, you’re meant to go there for the drinks 😉 The atmosphere is perfect for hanging out with friends, I’ll give ’em that!

Awesome (real) fireplace, with a very sad Christmas tree next to it

The cozy interior

Me and my gf 🙂

A hot toddy (aka mulled wine) and some sort of warm whiskey drink

Fries with FOUR dips! Loved the dips, pity the fries were over-cooked

Schnitzel and fries

Cordon Bleu and fries

Some sort of baked meat and cheese on toast – really good!

Hanging out

Shots for all. Yay!

• starbucksweetie posted on January 26, 2010 at 2:10 am

Cute top, Bev.

• beverly posted on January 26, 2010 at 2:19 pm

• oh_ayana posted on January 26, 2010 at 5:49 am

haha that IS a sad Christmas tree
    What kind of dips were they for the chips??

• beverly posted on January 26, 2010 at 2:22 pm

Was tomato sauce, some sorta aoili, something like thousand island.. and something else. Hard to figure out what they actually were 😛

• starbucksweetie posted on January 26, 2010 at 2:10 am

Cute top, Bev.

• beverly posted on January 26, 2010 at 2:19 pm

• angelnotes posted on January 26, 2010 at 1:02 pm

That Christmas tree looks sad indeed! Why is it so frail-looking…

• beverly posted on January 26, 2010 at 2:25 pm

Weird huh?! MIght as well not bother… lol

• good_lenchik posted on January 26, 2010 at 1:39 pm

I’m becoming a celebraty in your blog. hahahaha. That photo of us looks very cute. The one of all of us “hanging out” looks very weird though. It’s like it was taken from the roof or by someone very tall (taller than me) hehehee

• beverly posted on January 26, 2010 at 2:27 pm

Hehe you do have a lot of cameo appearances in it! 😛

Ya we look so nice and snug in the pic.. actually our backs were freezing, remember, haha

• oh_ayana posted on January 26, 2010 at 5:49 am

haha that IS a sad Christmas tree
    What kind of dips were they for the chips??

• beverly posted on January 26, 2010 at 2:22 pm

• Anonymous posted on January 26, 2010 at 5:35 pm

Blog/Cottons

I am not certain how I came across your blog, but being a frequenst visitor to SH I find it great to get your insight on where to go and what to see. I am based in the US (Boston), but travel to SH about once every 4-6 weeks.

So the note is to say thanks for the entertaining read and all the good tips!

Gary

• beverly posted on January 27, 2010 at 10:43 am

Re: Blog/Cottons

Hi Gary, how lovely that you come to Shanghai every so often! Boston is brilliant too.. used to go there when I was younger as my dad’s headquarters was there 🙂

• angelnotes posted on January 26, 2010 at 1:02 pm

That Christmas tree looks sad indeed! Why is it so frail-looking…

• beverly posted on January 26, 2010 at 2:25 pm

Weird huh?! MIght as well not bother… lol

• good_lenchik posted on January 26, 2010 at 1:39 pm

• beverly posted on January 26, 2010 at 2:27 pm

Hehe you do have a lot of cameo appearances in it! 😛

• Anonymous posted on January 26, 2010 at 5:35 pm

Blog/Cottons

So the note is to say thanks for the entertaining read and all the good tips!

Gary