Fitness, Uncategorized SHANGHAI DUATHLON! 6 November 2009

Many of you know that Chris and I raced in the Shanghai 25KM Duathlon over the weekend. When I say ‘raced’, I really mean ‘struggled’ – at least for me, heh! It’s because we’re kinda PSYCHO and decided “Oh hey, we’re going to do a Duathlon!” when we heard about it…. but kinda, uh, omitted the training for a Duathlon part.

The Duathlon was:
4KM run
17KM cycle
4KM run

The run was not so bad ‘cos it’s only 8KM total… but the cycle? ARGH! One wee problem – both of us hadn’t cycled in ages. Me? Over 10 years since I last sat on a bicycle. And so we didn’t get any practice until the race itself, which meant I was SUPER slow on the bicycle at first since I had to teach myself how to ride all over again. *lol*!

Other problem was that I got myself too hyped up the night before, and had a grand total of 3.5 hours (!!!) sleep before the race, so I was like a zombie and my muscles didn’t really work. FAIL.

The weather was also, suddenly, freezing. It’s been really nice and balmy in Shanghai (despite us nearing winter), but on the day, it was drop dead freezing and so so so cold. We were NOT dressed for it at all, and so just about froze our butts off. I can’t even describe how cold we were… went right into our bones and we were soooo miserable. Good thing we were to spend the next 1-2 hours exercising 😉

Chris was a speed demon, despite not training for the race either. He has a lot of power in his muscles, and so zoomed ahead and was in front of the pack – so impressive, but I was so jealous! No fair 😛 I lagged and struggled and wasn’t super into it, because it was just sooo cold and windy, and I was in a zombie-like tired state.

I LOVED it though. I really like getting out there and having a great big ‘ol exercise.. and it felt really good and got all my blood pumping. Chris clocked in at a super 1:36:15 and me at a pretty sad 1:54:00. I was targeting under 2 hours though, so it’s not too bad 🙂

Would I do it again? HELL YEAH! In fact, in 2 weeks, I’ll be competing in the 21KM Shanghai Half Marathon… this one’s ALL running and will take me around 3 hours (gah) to complete.. and gonna do it on my (I-still-refuse-to-heal) dislocated kneecap. So ummm… wish me luck for that, I’ll need it 😉

——-

EDIT: *siiiiigh*… okay okay. I didn’t want to explain this earlier ‘cos it’s damn embarassing, but people keep asking so I’ll spit it out. How did all the photos below get taken? Dad ran around me in circles the ENTIRE time photographing me! Yep, my dad is THAT fit that he could run around / follow me, photographing me, and talking to me – believe it or not. He’s more than double my age, but kicked my ass 😉
We were a comical sight and people kept looking at us.. because 1) they were wondering why this girl had paparazzi following her and 2) this guy that was so fit he was just running around photographing, like it was no big deal! So, there you have it 😉

The day before (ie. on my birthday), we had to go allll the way to Pudong to
get our registration stuff.. It was an epic journey, for something that took 2 mins.

Cute pic!

Nah it wasn’t my bike, mine’s not nearly as cool-looking 😛

TRIATHLON, you say? 😉

We woke up at 5AM(!) and this is us (barely awake) on the train at 6AM

We carefully packed coffees in thermos flasks, only to have an entire one leak. FAIL

Loading up our bikes into the truck

It was BLOODY FREEZING when we got to the lake!!!

Listening to our briefing before the race begins

Warming up

Dad gets in on the action!

Aaaaaandddd we’re OFF!

2KM later, rounding the water-stop

Chris is a speed demon

Going over the bridge

Chris collecting his bike for the cycle part

Finished with the 1st leg of my run. Chilling out before getting onto the bike
(was too pooped to race properly!)

I’M TIRED ALREADY!!!! D’oh.

Grabbing my bike….

…..and off I go

The event photographer snapping a shot of me huffing & puffing on my bike 😛

FINALLY DONE with the bicycle leg

And then… the last running leg

Never been so happy to see the finish line

I’m sure I’m saying something highly amusing here, just not sure what 😉

Huddled on the ground trying to keep warm after the race

What a 5AM wakeup and ~2hours of exercise gets you – a coffee mug 😉

At the hotel for the buffet lunch

COOL shoes

Tucking in

YAY WE DID IT!

• rollagirl9 posted on November 6, 2009 at 4:03 am

How did your parents keep up with you to take photos like that!

• irene82 posted on November 6, 2009 at 4:16 am

I was going to ask the EXACT same thing! LOL

• beverly posted on November 6, 2009 at 6:21 am

OK *FINE* I updated it with the whole story 😉

• starbucksweetie posted on November 6, 2009 at 4:07 am

You always amuse me with your go big or go home attitude in regards to fitness, instead of doing a little bit of exercise everyday.

• beverly posted on November 6, 2009 at 6:30 am

*lol* yeah I’m nutty like that… suddenly decided to go on a mega exercise binge and nearly kill myself 😉

• missustay posted on November 6, 2009 at 4:09 am

the focus really should be on you guys completing a race but i’m so distracted by the shoes! never seen so many colors on a pair of shoes before!

• beverly posted on November 6, 2009 at 6:37 am

A GUY was wearing ’em! I sooooooo want a pair

• uglychocolate posted on November 6, 2009 at 4:55 am

Oh my goodness, that last picture . . . hahaha you and Chris are so hilarious!

• beverly posted on November 6, 2009 at 6:43 am

I look freakishly tiny but it’s the angle, I was standing further behind! 😛

• misawong posted on November 6, 2009 at 5:34 am

Congrats to the two of you! You all did it! And I think you’ve lost quite a bit of weight!!

• beverly posted on November 6, 2009 at 6:44 am

Ohhh i totally WISH! Unfortunately, the scales say otherwise 🙁

• ohprettywords posted on November 6, 2009 at 6:10 am

that last photo is STELLAR!!♥

• beverly posted on November 6, 2009 at 6:45 am

*lol*! we look like such weirdos in it, but the pic makes me giggle 😛

• berlinlee posted on November 6, 2009 at 6:27 am

Wow! Congratulations!
    I think I would take 3,4,5hrs or more;P LOL

• beverly posted on November 6, 2009 at 6:46 am

Well I was basically dead last… so you’d be right there next to me and I’d have company – hee!!

• alongcameaspydr posted on November 6, 2009 at 7:26 am

Your parents are just TOOOOOOO cute! And my Dad is exactly the same. He’s 69 years old and he out runs me. I’m so lazy I can’t even get down the street without giving up. Man I need to get back in shape! 😉

• beverly posted on November 6, 2009 at 8:30 am

Hhahaha so we both suck! It was depressing that my dad was perkily running all around the place and I was half-dead 😛

• irene82 posted on November 6, 2009 at 8:27 am

Is that Chris on his way back??? LOL

• beverly posted on November 6, 2009 at 8:29 am

Yes…. *SHAMED*

Told ya he kicked my ass!

• crackerchris posted on November 6, 2009 at 10:47 am

The difference is only about 30 meters – the turn-around is just off-photo to the right.

What the photo doesn’t show is speed. I’m pottering along like an old man, and only inspired by the thought that I didn’t want my girl to embarrass me too much. Sure I got a faster time, but my legs are about 3x longer than Bev’s 😉

• irene82 posted on November 6, 2009 at 3:26 pm

Is this the infamous Chris!? 🙂

Aww sorry, I didn’t mean to make you feel bad, I just thought it was cute that he was on the other side and the picture captured it! 🙂

• beverly posted on November 7, 2009 at 2:16 am

Yeah, you’re one of the, like, 3 people he’s ever replied to in my 15 years of blogging.. rofl!

• rollagirl9 posted on November 6, 2009 at 4:03 am

How did your parents keep up with you to take photos like that!

• irene82 posted on November 6, 2009 at 4:16 am

I was going to ask the EXACT same thing! LOL

• beverly posted on November 6, 2009 at 6:21 am

OK *FINE* I updated it with the whole story 😉

• starbucksweetie posted on November 6, 2009 at 4:07 am

• beverly posted on November 6, 2009 at 6:30 am

• missustay posted on November 6, 2009 at 4:09 am

• beverly posted on November 6, 2009 at 6:37 am

A GUY was wearing ’em! I sooooooo want a pair

• uglychocolate posted on November 6, 2009 at 4:55 am

Oh my goodness, that last picture . . . hahaha you and Chris are so hilarious!

• beverly posted on November 6, 2009 at 6:43 am

I look freakishly tiny but it’s the angle, I was standing further behind! 😛

• desireless posted on November 6, 2009 at 12:57 pm

Wow, you guys are amazing! I’m sure I would somehow collapse and die during the duathlon. Way to go!

• beverly posted on November 6, 2009 at 2:50 pm

Hhaha well I certainly felt that way mid-way;)

• tiffanyx posted on November 6, 2009 at 1:11 pm

your dad is super fit!!

kudos to your parents for being SOOO sporty, especially your dad!!

• beverly posted on November 6, 2009 at 2:51 pm

HE really is, puts me to shame, haha!

• tiffanyx posted on November 7, 2009 at 3:43 am

train for your 21km!

• misawong posted on November 6, 2009 at 5:34 am

• beverly posted on November 6, 2009 at 6:44 am

Ohhh i totally WISH! Unfortunately, the scales say otherwise 🙁

• good_lenchik posted on November 6, 2009 at 1:51 pm

What an awesome inspirational post Bev! I wish i lived nearby and we could jog together. So hard to make myself to jog lately. Need someone to motivate. As usual promise that will jog tomorrow.

I think maybe I should join u for half marathon in 2 weeks. I’ve never done it. I used to run 10 km in 1 hour. My norm these days is 7,5 km in 40 min. If you say that for u it will take 3 hrs to run 21 km (that’s 7km/hour) I guess I could make it too. I think i can make it. What say you?

PS: You don’t look cold at all in that tiny top and shorts :))
    PPS: How come you have a bike but haven’t ridden for last 10 years? Or did you rent it out?

• good_lenchik posted on November 6, 2009 at 2:00 pm

Other thing… don’t want to sound dirty, but is there a hidden meaning behind the choice of your numbers? 😉 If I were you I would choose the same number :))

• beverly posted on November 6, 2009 at 2:52 pm

ooooh we can do it together! I think you’re faster than me though, I run super slow and I get lazy and walk 😉

Ahh it was super cold but then I overheat when I exercise so I took off my tee.. so I was both super hot and super cold, grrr

haha nooo the numbers were randomly given to us!

• good_lenchik posted on November 6, 2009 at 4:50 pm

Well I may be faster in the short run, but I never went for 21 km even walking :)) But I’m up for the challenge!

The numbers are perfect… both right from the “Book” )))

• am_klutz posted on November 6, 2009 at 1:53 pm

Well done hun 🙂 great job!

• beverly posted on November 6, 2009 at 2:54 pm

• beverly posted on November 6, 2009 at 6:46 am

• pikaluu posted on November 6, 2009 at 2:32 pm

Congrats!!!!

• beverly posted on November 6, 2009 at 2:57 pm

hee thanks!

• madmoneymonkey posted on November 6, 2009 at 2:52 pm

Wow weeee!! Well done you!!!

• beverly posted on November 6, 2009 at 3:13 pm

Yay thank ya, so impressed with my dad and Chris though!

• alongcameaspydr posted on November 6, 2009 at 7:26 am

• beverly posted on November 6, 2009 at 8:30 am

• ichabunni posted on November 6, 2009 at 4:00 pm

Haha that is a cute story about your dad.. Very adorable!

Congrats on finishing under 2 hrs!

• beverly posted on November 7, 2009 at 2:15 am

Thanks hon! Now just need to get geared up for the half marathon.. dohhh

• irene82 posted on November 6, 2009 at 8:27 am

Is that Chris on his way back??? LOL

• beverly posted on November 6, 2009 at 8:29 am

Yes…. *SHAMED*

Told ya he kicked my ass!

• crackerchris posted on November 6, 2009 at 10:47 am

• irene82 posted on November 6, 2009 at 3:26 pm

Is this the infamous Chris!? 🙂

• beverly posted on November 7, 2009 at 2:16 am

• joni_to0622 posted on November 6, 2009 at 7:08 pm

Was your dad a professional runner when he was young? Amazing that he could run next to you and took pictures at the same time! 🙂 *big thumbs up for him!!*

• beverly posted on November 7, 2009 at 2:17 am

Yeah.. he’s ridiculously fit and exercises every day, still!

• vixette7 posted on November 6, 2009 at 7:41 pm

holy crap your dad pretty mch did he duathlon alongside you!!

• beverly posted on November 7, 2009 at 2:17 am

I knoooow, it was madness!

• desireless posted on November 6, 2009 at 12:57 pm

• beverly posted on November 6, 2009 at 2:50 pm

Hhaha well I certainly felt that way mid-way;)

• tiffanyx posted on November 6, 2009 at 1:11 pm

your dad is super fit!!

kudos to your parents for being SOOO sporty, especially your dad!!

• beverly posted on November 6, 2009 at 2:51 pm

HE really is, puts me to shame, haha!

• tiffanyx posted on November 7, 2009 at 3:43 am

train for your 21km!

• good_lenchik posted on November 6, 2009 at 1:51 pm

PS: You don’t look cold at all in that tiny top and shorts :))

• good_lenchik posted on November 6, 2009 at 2:00 pm

• beverly posted on November 6, 2009 at 2:52 pm

haha nooo the numbers were randomly given to us!

• good_lenchik posted on November 6, 2009 at 4:50 pm

The numbers are perfect… both right from the “Book” )))

• am_klutz posted on November 6, 2009 at 1:53 pm

Well done hun 🙂 great job!

• beverly posted on November 6, 2009 at 2:54 pm

Thanks! REaaaally not as impressive as yours tho 😛

• pikaluu posted on November 6, 2009 at 2:32 pm

Congrats!!!!

• beverly posted on November 6, 2009 at 2:57 pm

hee thanks!

• madmoneymonkey posted on November 6, 2009 at 2:52 pm

Wow weeee!! Well done you!!!

• beverly posted on November 6, 2009 at 3:13 pm

Yay thank ya, so impressed with my dad and Chris though!

• ichabunni posted on November 6, 2009 at 4:00 pm

Haha that is a cute story about your dad.. Very adorable!

Congrats on finishing under 2 hrs!

• beverly posted on November 7, 2009 at 2:15 am

Thanks hon! Now just need to get geared up for the half marathon.. dohhh

• joni_to0622 posted on November 6, 2009 at 7:08 pm

• beverly posted on November 7, 2009 at 2:17 am

Yeah.. he’s ridiculously fit and exercises every day, still!

• vixette7 posted on November 6, 2009 at 7:41 pm

holy crap your dad pretty mch did he duathlon alongside you!!

• beverly posted on November 7, 2009 at 2:17 am

I knoooow, it was madness!

• exhileration posted on November 7, 2009 at 11:51 pm

WOW! Good job on completing the duathlon! I run 4 KM and I’m usually beat, to ride a bike and do it again is amazing!

• beverly posted on November 8, 2009 at 4:06 am

Thanks hon, it was fun!

• exhileration posted on November 7, 2009 at 11:51 pm

• beverly posted on November 8, 2009 at 4:06 am

Thanks hon, it was fun!

• valska posted on November 10, 2009 at 3:29 am

Your dad is amazing. And so are you for finishing it! I can hardly climb up stairs now.

• beverly posted on November 10, 2009 at 6:44 am

He is.. he puts us to shame – doh!

• valska posted on November 10, 2009 at 3:29 am

• beverly posted on November 10, 2009 at 6:44 am

He is.. he puts us to shame – doh!