Honeymoon, Maldives, Uncategorized, Wedding HONEYMOON IN THE MALDIVES – private wine and canape tasting! 31 August 2009

Chris was really keen on arranging a private wine-and-canape tasting for us whilst at Shangri-La in the Maldives. Well, actually, it was meant to be in a group.. but we had other plans on the day it was organised, and so the somellier Markus and Chris discussed to have a private tasting instead. EVEN BETTER! 🙂

The location of choice was in Javvu’s private dining room, or rather, on its balcony since it sits right on the sand and overlooks the ocean. We were forewarned that we would be served canapes with our wines, but we totally did not expect them to be that generous! We literally couldn’t finish it all… trays and trays of canapes just kept coming out – evidently made to serve 4 people but it was only 2 of us eating 😉 We tried our best and allllllmost finished everyone one, but had to leave a few behind.

The wines were excellent because Marcus selected well. He spoke to us the day before to get an understanding of our tastes, and based on that, he put together a selection of light and chilled white wines. He chose so well that we happily drank glass after glass.. and in the end had 6 (!!!) glasses of wine EACH. That’s a lot for what was supposed to be just “tasting” 😛 We were so delighted that he was really generous with the wines, and felt absolutely taken care of.

We also learned a lot about the regions the wines came from, and what to look for in different wines. All that drinking, eating and chatting ended up taking up over 3 hours! An awesome way to spend a lazy afternoon 🙂

Outside on the private dining porch area

A hideously close-up pic Chris took of us

OK, better 😛

A Riesling from Germany, from a town about 40km from where our sommelier grew up!

Canapes! I loved the salmon, avocado and cream cheese rolls

3nd wine, also from Germany

More canapes – delish

2 sweeter wines from France

My favourite canapes of the lot – meatballs (in the background) and pork schnitzel

With the Shangri-La Maldive’s sommelier Markus, from Germany!

• Anonymous posted on August 31, 2009 at 3:56 pm

Why do you often say you are fat or that the picture taken is an ugly or hideous shot and yet post it on your blog??

I don’t think you are fat at all. On the contrary! plus none of the shots are hideous or ugly so quit putting yourself down!

• beverly posted on September 1, 2009 at 12:03 am

It’s all relative I suppose! If it’s a fat shot relative to my other ones, then I’ll notice for sure (i’m obsessive compulsive like that). but if I KNOWWWW I look nice or thin in it, then I won’t say anything 😛

• beverly posted on September 1, 2009 at 12:03 am

• Anonymous posted on August 31, 2009 at 3:56 pm

• Anonymous posted on August 31, 2009 at 3:56 pm

• beverly posted on September 1, 2009 at 12:03 am

• starbucksweetie posted on September 1, 2009 at 1:25 am

Your vacation sounds mega relaxing.

• beverly posted on September 1, 2009 at 6:26 am

…with lots of eating and drinking 😉

• beverly posted on September 1, 2009 at 6:26 am

…with lots of eating and drinking 😉

• starbucksweetie posted on September 1, 2009 at 1:25 am

Your vacation sounds mega relaxing.

• la_jess posted on September 1, 2009 at 6:42 am

Your honeymoon is so fabulous! Your pictures make me want to vacation in the Maldives. The Shangri-La should pay you for promoting their hotel so well! 🙂 Also, what is that canape that looks kind of like a carrot/tomato soup? It looks so cute and tasty.

• beverly posted on September 1, 2009 at 8:24 am

I wish we were paid, but sadly no 😛 But they made such an effort to ensure we had a great time that I think they deserve the free advertising!

That soup was a Smoked gazpacho 🙂

• beverly posted on September 1, 2009 at 8:24 am

That soup was a Smoked gazpacho 🙂

• la_jess posted on September 1, 2009 at 6:42 am

• starbucksweetie posted on September 1, 2009 at 1:25 am

Your vacation sounds mega relaxing.

• beverly posted on September 1, 2009 at 6:26 am

…with lots of eating and drinking 😉

• tiffanyx posted on September 1, 2009 at 11:46 am

glorious fooooood! =)

• beverly posted on September 1, 2009 at 2:11 pm

Hhaha yeah, we ate and ate and ate!

• tiffanyx posted on September 1, 2009 at 2:38 pm

heh who wouldnt?!?! =)

• tiffanyx posted on September 1, 2009 at 2:38 pm

heh who wouldnt?!?! =)

• beverly posted on September 1, 2009 at 2:11 pm

Hhaha yeah, we ate and ate and ate!

• tiffanyx posted on September 1, 2009 at 11:46 am

glorious fooooood! =)

• divad posted on September 1, 2009 at 1:02 pm

Rieslings from Germany are called Mosel… coz 99/100 times they’re made in Mosel 🙂 They’re awesome :D!! I love em…

• beverly posted on September 1, 2009 at 2:11 pm

Ahhh I have no idea if he even told us that.. I wasn’t really paying attention half the time 😛 Good to know!!

• beverly posted on September 1, 2009 at 2:11 pm

• divad posted on September 1, 2009 at 1:02 pm

• la_jess posted on September 1, 2009 at 6:42 am

• beverly posted on September 1, 2009 at 8:24 am

That soup was a Smoked gazpacho 🙂

• tiffanyx posted on September 1, 2009 at 11:46 am

glorious fooooood! =)

• beverly posted on September 1, 2009 at 2:11 pm

Hhaha yeah, we ate and ate and ate!

• tiffanyx posted on September 1, 2009 at 2:38 pm