FOOD, Food reviews, Uncategorized MAKAN @ ALICE’S 30 October 2006

Makan @Alice’s
262β€”264 Pennant Hills Rd
Thornleigh, 2120

It’d been over a month since we last visited Makan & Alice’s, so for the whole week Chris had been declaring that we HAD to go over the weekend. Ended up going on Sunday but they had sold out of all the kuihs *moans* Chris even called up before we left, to check on the kuih’s status (hehe) and it was sold out even then! Bummer.

Anyhow, at least we were satisfied with our Singaporean food fix when we got there. I hadn’t noticed this earlier, but they’ve raised their prices πŸ™ πŸ™ πŸ™ Everything’s about $1 more expensive so it’s mostly all >$10 for a meal.. which is starting to get borderline won’t-go-there-anymore expensive. I think I just assume that Singaporean/Malaysian food should have similar prices than what’s charged in the actual country, or at least Chinatown prices in Sydney which is about $7. My heart bleeds at paying 3+ times the actual price in Australia compared to Singapore, but I guess labour costs are more expensive here. Chris doesn’t seem to mind because to him, cost is of no concern if he likes the food. He’s just less stingy than me I guess πŸ™‚

I settled on Nasi Lemak (Coconut rice served with beef rendang with cucumber, tomatoes & egg. Garnished with crispy anchovies, peanuts & spicy sambal). For some ridiculous reason, I’d never had it there before. It was sublime!!! The coconut rice could have done with a richer flavour, but less flavour means less coconut milk which means less unhealthy. The beef rendang was blimmin’ amazing – all meaty and super melty, it just fell apart and the flavour was awesome without being too salty. I liked the cucumber and tomatoes on the side, it toned down the spice, but would have preferred redder tomatoes (mine were kinda green). The beef rendang was so good that I really wish they’d give a bigger portion and less rice instead! I’d still order it again though πŸ™‚

Chris had the.. uhhh… do I really need to say this since we ALL know what he ordered? Yes, Char Kway Teow (Rice noodles fried in thick soy sauce with prawns, chinese sausage, fish balls, fish cake, calamari, chives, eggs & bean sprouts). I’m not even going to bother writing a description of how it tasted, since this is the upteenth time I’ve done so. Let’s just say it’s the best in Sydney – slippery and full of flavour.

Also shared a Chendol (Homemade springy pandan strands, grass jelly & red bean in coconut milk with shaved ice & rich gula melaka). For some reason, it was especially good this time. Luscious, chilled coconut milk that was just sweet enough, but not too sickly sweet. Just perfect.

Nasi Lemak

Char Kway Teow

Chendol

• isla_quack posted on October 30, 2006 at 6:48 am

the chendol looks so nice!
    i also think $10+ for singaporean/malaysian food is quite expensive.. but what can we do if we are craving for the food?? πŸ˜›

• beverly posted on October 30, 2006 at 7:26 am

Ya πŸ™ If it was $6-8, we would seriously be there EVERY single week and recommend everyone we know to go, hehe. I guess it’s mainly also because we drive almost 40mins just to get there! So it’s even MORE important to get a good deal after the long drive, haha

• beverly posted on October 30, 2006 at 7:26 am

• isla_quack posted on October 30, 2006 at 6:48 am

the chendol looks so nice!

• jarmz posted on October 30, 2006 at 7:38 am

i really wish i could indulge in those food like RIGHT NOW! but… im too sick ;(

all i need is blanket, my dog, warm water and porridge…….. and my LV mini pochette! *grins*

• beverly posted on October 30, 2006 at 7:30 pm

Haha yes, the LV will def make you feel better!!
      Get well soon πŸ˜›

• beverly posted on October 30, 2006 at 7:30 pm

Haha yes, the LV will def make you feel better!!
      Get well soon πŸ˜›

• jarmz posted on October 30, 2006 at 7:38 am

i really wish i could indulge in those food like RIGHT NOW! but… im too sick ;(

• gingerstardrops posted on October 30, 2006 at 7:50 am

Chendol always hits the spot for me whenever its a hot and humid day. Love it when im having spicy food too.

• beverly posted on October 30, 2006 at 7:30 pm

So true, I never used to drink it but now I just love the stuff

• beverly posted on October 30, 2006 at 7:30 pm

So true, I never used to drink it but now I just love the stuff

• gingerstardrops posted on October 30, 2006 at 7:50 am

• islegrl posted on October 30, 2006 at 9:38 am

You two are regulars over there, huh? Hehe… Food looks yummy! *^^*

• beverly posted on October 30, 2006 at 7:31 pm

Ya.. we’re crazy enough to trek all the way over there every few weeks just to get our fix, haha!

• islegrl posted on October 30, 2006 at 8:46 pm

BTW…Happy Birthday!!! What are you guys doing for your birthday?

• islegrl posted on October 30, 2006 at 8:46 pm

BTW…Happy Birthday!!! What are you guys doing for your birthday?

• beverly posted on October 30, 2006 at 7:31 pm

• islegrl posted on October 30, 2006 at 9:38 am

You two are regulars over there, huh? Hehe… Food looks yummy! *^^*

• ikeika posted on October 30, 2006 at 10:43 am

happy birthday bev! πŸ™‚

• beverly posted on October 30, 2006 at 7:31 pm

Aww thanks!

• beverly posted on October 30, 2006 at 7:31 pm

Aww thanks!

• ikeika posted on October 30, 2006 at 10:43 am

happy birthday bev! πŸ™‚

• rubytues posted on October 30, 2006 at 11:15 am

Happy Birthday! πŸ™‚ The food looks amazing, nothing like that near me at any price in the USA.

• beverly posted on October 30, 2006 at 7:32 pm

I think they’re more Asian-style so it’s not as common in the USA.. you guys get such lovely desserts though!

• beverly posted on October 30, 2006 at 7:32 pm

• rubytues posted on October 30, 2006 at 11:15 am

• esthered posted on October 30, 2006 at 11:47 am

You go to Makan@Alice’s a lot, don’t you? Sounds amazing!

Uh, I was wondering if you could help me a little (since you’ve been living in Sydney for so long). My family and I want to go for a holiday and we’re thinking of renting a Serviced Apartment that overlooks Darling Harbour. Do you by any chance know any affordable ones? Sorry to trouble you. πŸ™‚

• beverly posted on October 31, 2006 at 11:13 am

Yeah.. we’re kinda addicted to the place, hehe.

I would say that anywhere overlooking the harbour is really $$ πŸ˜› I actually don’t know of any service apartments/hotels though as I’ve never looked for any myself.. I’m sorry I’m not of much help at all! πŸ™ Perhaps you can try google? If you’re thinking of a place you can let me know the location and I can tell you if it’s nice or crap πŸ˜›

• beverly posted on October 31, 2006 at 11:13 am

Yeah.. we’re kinda addicted to the place, hehe.

• esthered posted on October 30, 2006 at 11:47 am

You go to Makan@Alice’s a lot, don’t you? Sounds amazing!

• isla_quack posted on October 30, 2006 at 6:48 am

the chendol looks so nice!

• beverly posted on October 30, 2006 at 7:26 am

• beverly posted on October 30, 2006 at 7:26 am

• isla_quack posted on October 30, 2006 at 6:48 am

the chendol looks so nice!

• jarmz posted on October 30, 2006 at 7:38 am

i really wish i could indulge in those food like RIGHT NOW! but… im too sick ;(

• beverly posted on October 30, 2006 at 7:30 pm

Haha yes, the LV will def make you feel better!!
      Get well soon πŸ˜›

• beverly posted on October 30, 2006 at 7:30 pm

Haha yes, the LV will def make you feel better!!
      Get well soon πŸ˜›

• jarmz posted on October 30, 2006 at 7:38 am

i really wish i could indulge in those food like RIGHT NOW! but… im too sick ;(

• funkybrewsta posted on October 30, 2006 at 3:39 pm

Oddly enough, I was reading your entry yesterday and went “Hmm, they haven’t gone to Alice’s lately. I wonder what happened?” XD

• beverly posted on October 31, 2006 at 11:14 am

Hhaah I knooooow.. we’re so predictable πŸ˜‰ It had been over a month, way too long!

• beverly posted on October 31, 2006 at 11:14 am

• funkybrewsta posted on October 30, 2006 at 3:39 pm

• gingerstardrops posted on October 30, 2006 at 7:50 am

• beverly posted on October 30, 2006 at 7:30 pm

So true, I never used to drink it but now I just love the stuff

• beverly posted on October 30, 2006 at 7:30 pm

So true, I never used to drink it but now I just love the stuff

• gingerstardrops posted on October 30, 2006 at 7:50 am

• islegrl posted on October 30, 2006 at 9:38 am

You two are regulars over there, huh? Hehe… Food looks yummy! *^^*

• beverly posted on October 30, 2006 at 7:31 pm

• islegrl posted on October 30, 2006 at 8:46 pm

BTW…Happy Birthday!!! What are you guys doing for your birthday?

• islegrl posted on October 30, 2006 at 8:46 pm

BTW…Happy Birthday!!! What are you guys doing for your birthday?

• beverly posted on October 30, 2006 at 7:31 pm

• islegrl posted on October 30, 2006 at 9:38 am

You two are regulars over there, huh? Hehe… Food looks yummy! *^^*

• ohprettywords posted on October 30, 2006 at 5:40 pm

if i could, i’d CHOMP this whole entry up. xo

• beverly posted on October 31, 2006 at 11:14 am

They have such YUMMY food :)~

And eeeee I like your new icon and scarf!

• beverly posted on October 31, 2006 at 11:14 am

They have such YUMMY food :)~

And eeeee I like your new icon and scarf!

• ohprettywords posted on October 30, 2006 at 5:40 pm

happy birthday bev! πŸ™‚

• rubytues posted on October 30, 2006 at 11:15 am

• beverly posted on October 30, 2006 at 7:32 pm

• beverly posted on October 30, 2006 at 7:32 pm

• rubytues posted on October 30, 2006 at 11:15 am

• esthered posted on October 30, 2006 at 11:47 am

You go to Makan@Alice’s a lot, don’t you? Sounds amazing!

• beverly posted on October 31, 2006 at 11:13 am

Yeah.. we’re kinda addicted to the place, hehe.

• beverly posted on October 31, 2006 at 11:13 am

Yeah.. we’re kinda addicted to the place, hehe.

• esthered posted on October 30, 2006 at 11:47 am

You go to Makan@Alice’s a lot, don’t you? Sounds amazing!

• funkybrewsta posted on October 30, 2006 at 3:39 pm

• beverly posted on October 31, 2006 at 11:14 am

• beverly posted on October 31, 2006 at 11:14 am

• funkybrewsta posted on October 30, 2006 at 3:39 pm

• ohprettywords posted on October 30, 2006 at 5:40 pm

if i could, i’d CHOMP this whole entry up. xo

• beverly posted on October 31, 2006 at 11:14 am

They have such YUMMY food :)~

And eeeee I like your new icon and scarf!

• beverly posted on October 31, 2006 at 11:14 am

They have such YUMMY food :)~

And eeeee I like your new icon and scarf!

• ohprettywords posted on October 30, 2006 at 5:40 pm

if i could, i’d CHOMP this whole entry up. xo

• starbucksweetie posted on October 31, 2006 at 3:11 am

Haha…Chris is so predictable πŸ™‚

• beverly posted on October 31, 2006 at 11:15 am

I know.. he never seems to get bored of the stuff?!

• beverly posted on October 31, 2006 at 11:15 am

I know.. he never seems to get bored of the stuff?!

• starbucksweetie posted on October 31, 2006 at 3:11 am

Haha…Chris is so predictable πŸ™‚

• starbucksweetie posted on October 31, 2006 at 3:11 am

Haha…Chris is so predictable πŸ™‚

• beverly posted on October 31, 2006 at 11:15 am

I know.. he never seems to get bored of the stuff?!

• beverly posted on October 31, 2006 at 11:15 am

I know.. he never seems to get bored of the stuff?!

• starbucksweetie posted on October 31, 2006 at 3:11 am

Haha…Chris is so predictable πŸ™‚

• sh4r0n posted on October 31, 2006 at 9:59 pm

I want to MAKAN @ Alice’s!!!!!!!
    I used to go there on Sundays, it’s just down the road from my high school (Penno High)!!!!
    and my family lives on Pennant Hills road but Carlingford side.

• beverly posted on November 1, 2006 at 7:39 am

Ooo small world, hehe. I love Alice’s!

• sh4r0n posted on October 31, 2006 at 9:59 pm

I want to MAKAN @ Alice’s!!!!!!!
    and my family lives on Pennant Hills road but Carlingford side.

• beverly posted on November 1, 2006 at 7:39 am

Ooo small world, hehe. I love Alice’s!