FOOD, Food reviews, Uncategorized MACRO WHOLEFOODS CAFE @ CROWS NEST 20 September 2006

Macro Wholefood Cafe
Shop 13-19, Willoughby Rd
Crows Nest, NSW 2065
$$$—

Macro Cafe is just down the road, and makes a great place to pop in for a quick brunch. They always seem to have a perpetual queue of people, eager to get some organic food into them and feel every so saintly. The cafe is casual with a nice cosy feel. Unfortunately, it’s also almost always dirty and haphazard. You’ll often find used empty plates strewn on the tables and crumbs everywhere. Not a good look for a neat freak like me 😉

Their selection of food is expansive though, and boasts an all-organic menu. I selected a Pumpkin and spinach quiche, or at least that’s what I think it was. There was no sign and when I pointed to it to ask, I received a brusque “Quiche”. And that was that. I bought it anyway and was happy to discover that it wasn’t at all cheesy or unhealthy-like. It was smooth with a nice crust, and wasn’t all that tasty (like a normal quiche) but still had a lovely flavour. At $5.50, it ain’t too bad a price too.

I also decided on an organic latte. When I asked “Do you have vanilla syrup to make it a ‘vanilla latte?”, the coffee guy uninterestedly shook an empty bottle of syrup and said “Well, we can put some water in there and shake it up.” I was like, “YUCK!! NO WAY!!!” Most unprofessional ‘food handling’ I’ve ever experienced in my entire life. I also waited absolute ages for the coffee, not good when I’m standing there waiting for my takeaway order. The coffee was decent enough – nothing spectacular.

Overall, customer service and quality leaves much to be desired. Food is decent-to-good, considering it’s all vegetarian and organic and you’d expect such food to be terribly bland/boring anyway. Would I go back again? Only if they brush up their service.

Organic quiche (AU$5.50) and organic latte (AU$4.00)

• blueeyezz posted on September 19, 2006 at 9:53 pm

It looks like spinach and winter squash…my FAVORITE…Winter squash is so delish! I think pumpkin is a little more orange in colour…

• beverly posted on September 20, 2006 at 8:56 am

Hmm I’ve never had winter squash so I won’t be able to identify it. It was pretty yum though :)~

• starbucksweetie posted on September 19, 2006 at 10:28 pm

That’s unfortunate with the service – maybe they think since business is good, they don’t need to provide service?

• beverly posted on September 20, 2006 at 8:56 am

That’s a good point, they’re always busy. that sucks though ;(

• esthered posted on September 19, 2006 at 10:32 pm

Ah, bad service is always a no-no. It just simply turns you off. Tsk. And Aussies usually have really good service too.

• beverly posted on September 20, 2006 at 8:56 am

So agree! I guess we just take good service for granted since it’s so common :X

• sisqa posted on September 19, 2006 at 10:44 pm

mmm. you got me craving for a quiche now. the non-healthy variety though. mmm… quicheeee…

• beverly posted on September 20, 2006 at 8:58 am

Hee the non-healthy one is also yum, but makes me feel guilty afterwards! This one makes me feel all smug that I’ve been (somewhat) healthy 😛

• juicymary posted on September 20, 2006 at 1:56 am

Hmmm, I love quiche! What a bad service!!!

• beverly posted on September 20, 2006 at 9:03 am

Quiche done well is SO YUM. I love the pastry part the best :)~

• plwh888 posted on September 20, 2006 at 2:25 am

look good for breakfast, i am so hungry now 🙁

• beverly posted on September 20, 2006 at 9:03 am

Ya, it really hit the spot! And since it wasn’t cheesy, I didn’t feel *urk* afterwards 🙂

• blueeyezz posted on September 19, 2006 at 9:53 pm

• beverly posted on September 20, 2006 at 8:56 am

• starbucksweetie posted on September 19, 2006 at 10:28 pm

• beverly posted on September 20, 2006 at 8:56 am

That’s a good point, they’re always busy. that sucks though ;(

• esthered posted on September 19, 2006 at 10:32 pm

• beverly posted on September 20, 2006 at 8:56 am

So agree! I guess we just take good service for granted since it’s so common :X

• sisqa posted on September 19, 2006 at 10:44 pm

• beverly posted on September 20, 2006 at 8:58 am

• khemany posted on September 20, 2006 at 9:24 am

its their job, they have to provide good service its what they are paid to do. I dont understand bad service it makes no sense especially to nice customers. If you cant be nice in a customer service role, then leave your obviously not cut out for this job…rant rant rant
    I hate poor service … 🙂

• beverly posted on September 20, 2006 at 12:05 pm

SO TRUE. It’s the same with bus drivers, etc. And if they say “Well I’m having a bad day, so that’s why I’m rude”, I DON’T CARE. To me, it’s like a doctor misdiagnosing/illtreating a patient, then saying they had a bad day too – that would never fly.

Rarrr.. i get so feisty over crap service too!

• juicymary posted on September 20, 2006 at 1:56 am

Hmmm, I love quiche! What a bad service!!!

• beverly posted on September 20, 2006 at 9:03 am

Quiche done well is SO YUM. I love the pastry part the best :)~

• plwh888 posted on September 20, 2006 at 2:25 am

look good for breakfast, i am so hungry now 🙁

• beverly posted on September 20, 2006 at 9:03 am

• khemany posted on September 20, 2006 at 9:24 am

I hate poor service … 🙂

• beverly posted on September 20, 2006 at 12:05 pm

Rarrr.. i get so feisty over crap service too!