FOOD, Living in... Singapore, Uncategorized PENANG BUFFET @ COPTHORNE HOTEL, SINGAPORE 17 August 2006

Penang Buffet @ Copthorne King’s Hotel
403 Havelock Road
Singapore
$$$$-
(SG.00+++ per person)

I’ve never really eaten Penang food before, which must mean I live under some sort of (food deprived) rock.. because the food’s just delicious! Loaded with coconut milk and unhealthy ‘stuff’, the food isn’t really something you’d gorge on every day.. but since this was a one-off buffet we were attending, I absolutely STUFFED MYSELF FULL. So much so that I couldn’t really breathe properly afterwards, and was so sleepy I wanted to take a nap right there at the table. Boasting ~40 different dishes, we basically tried one of everything.. and it really adds up – it’s probably not healthy to eat so much until you want to puke.. so my new resolution is to STOP EATING from now on. Well, maybe not, but to eat a little less 😛

I was delighted with the array of dishes available, most of which I’d never had before. A foodie’s paradise :)~ All the food was good IMHO, and the packed restaurant was a testament to that. I tried to pick a favourite, but I’d have listed all the food 😉 But if you forced me too, I’d say the popiah and all the desserts. Yum!!

One of the buffet tables

Asian drinks: sweetened soy bean, Bandung (love the colour!)
and.. er.. something else

Kway Pai Tee – some vegetarian thing. I LOVED it!!!!

Popiah – a star dish

Some sort of mee rebus-type dish, can’t remember the name

That mee rebus-type dish, fried porridge, and flat noodle cake with curry

Prawns and beans

Sticky yellow rice and curry chicken

Char Kway Teow and fish

Veg and deep-fried soft shell crab (mmmmmmmmmmmm…)

Rojak

Otak and satay

Some flat noodle cake with curry

Asian salads

Duck with mee swa noodles, in herbal broth

Fresh bean curd dessert

Fruit (boring)

Coconut pancakes with caramelised bananas

Tapioca cake and this sticky thingy with bean stuff inside (loved it)

Cake and jellies

Rice (served with kaya) and some sorta cake we couldn’t identify

It was a brilliant meal, but really took the concept of over-eating to the limits 😉 Got home and weighed myself.. and was 1.5kg(!) heavier than normal – so I guess that’s the amount of food I ate. Arghh!!

Also paid a visit to the eBay Singapore office in the afternoon.. they took me out for a delicious lunch at Shanghai Restaurant @ 282 South Bridge Road (opposite Maxwell Market). I was fascinated with the interior.. it had dark wooden tables and benches, a la China style, and the waitress only spoke Mandarin. A really authentic restaurant, it’s speciality is “Xiao Long Bao”, my favourite!! We ordered pretty much all the dim sum dishes on the menu and everything was great :)~

The beautiful eBay building, with the Singapore flag above it 🙂

I so want one of these couches for my apartment!!

• joejunior posted on August 17, 2006 at 4:28 am

My office is a 5 min walk or so away from the eBay officE!
    I took a pic of it in the past, but forgot to upload it for you 😛

• beverly posted on August 17, 2006 at 2:57 pm

Ooo cool! We were wandering outside around lunchtime, soo many people

• oo_mimi_oo posted on August 17, 2006 at 4:31 am

i LOVE buffets!!!

• beverly posted on August 17, 2006 at 2:58 pm

yeah.. but brings out the piggy in us *burps*

• sheila_1108 posted on August 17, 2006 at 5:01 am

Food :)~~~~

The mee rebus-type dish is called mee Jawa here. The flat noodle cake, is it Roti Jala? FYI, Nowhere in Penang will you get that big chunk of caramelised bananas on your coconut pancakes.

-Penangite

• beverly posted on August 17, 2006 at 2:50 pm

Re: Food :)~~~~

YES Mee Jawa, that’s it! So hard trying to remember all the names 😛 And yes, I believe that’s Roti Jala as well, that sounds about right..

• Anonymous posted on August 17, 2006 at 5:18 am

yums

why no penang laksa & penang prawn mee????????????

• beverly posted on August 17, 2006 at 2:59 pm

Re: yums

It was there! But didn’t take pics of it 😛

• protozone posted on August 17, 2006 at 5:58 am

Ebay Singapore looks like a toy store from outside. 😛

• beverly posted on August 17, 2006 at 3:00 pm

Re: yums

It looks like a toystore on the inside too 😛

• l_i_z posted on August 17, 2006 at 6:38 am

The eBay building looks so fun! And I LOVE the couch! hehe.

• beverly posted on August 17, 2006 at 3:00 pm

They’re similar all around the world.. i do like the fun environment 🙂

• kare2711 posted on August 17, 2006 at 8:13 am

Oh I absolutely must check out this buffet. Looks good.

• beverly posted on August 17, 2006 at 3:01 pm

It’s yuummmm but I’d recommend skipping lunch or having a really light one. There’s SO much food!

• starlightfaboo posted on August 17, 2006 at 8:27 am

That buffet looks incredible! I’ve never had Penang food before…a lot of the desserts look very dim sum-like. The buffets in the US are usually pretty bad…but I still gorge myself anyway (I overeat at buffets too! 🙂 Lucky! :o)

• beverly posted on August 17, 2006 at 3:01 pm

Yeah it was pretty new to me too.. it was fun 😀

• gradgirl79 posted on August 17, 2006 at 9:25 am

Oh, yum. I’ll have to make a note of this place in case I ever do get to Singapore.

• beverly posted on August 17, 2006 at 3:02 pm

It’s great to go there if you’re a tourist, cos you get a LOT of the singaporean-type food all in one place!

• pantenegal posted on August 17, 2006 at 9:36 am

that is one cool couch!

I went to Tioman last weekend (an Island off Malaysia) and also went to a Penang buffet!
    The food was like an explosion of flavour!

• beverly posted on August 17, 2006 at 3:02 pm

Yummmmm it’s probably better there, more authentic? Their food’s so good :)~

• jarmz posted on August 17, 2006 at 9:47 am

*yummmmm*

i had the sudden craving for popiah after your entry.
    so im gonna look for a delicious one for dinner. slurps!

• beverly posted on August 17, 2006 at 3:03 pm

Popiah’s SO GOOD, I think i’m addicted to the stuff now :)~

• jesuisariel posted on August 17, 2006 at 11:14 am

The red sticky kuih with red bean inside is called Ang Ku Kuih. I think it’s either a Hokkien or Heng Hua specialty.

The eBay office and couch are so cute!!!

• beverly posted on August 17, 2006 at 3:05 pm

Yes that’s it!! I always forget the name.. sooo hard to remember chinese names sometimes :X It was yum 🙂

• makeupmag posted on August 17, 2006 at 12:01 pm

Eh, how come you don’t know what is ang ku kueh?! The eBay couch is so cute…I’m sure you can recreate it! 🙂

• beverly posted on August 17, 2006 at 3:05 pm

I do know what it is, just forget the name! I can never remember all the SG foodie names.. :X

• makeupmag posted on August 17, 2006 at 4:02 pm

I kwym! Some of the names are hard to pronounce!

• yoshi83 posted on August 17, 2006 at 12:01 pm

Great photos 🙂

I guess being home makes you gain weight…so it happened to me too :/

• beverly posted on August 17, 2006 at 3:06 pm

I know.. eating lots of food and unhealthy stuff too, boo 🙁

• joejunior posted on August 17, 2006 at 4:28 am

My office is a 5 min walk or so away from the eBay officE!
    I took a pic of it in the past, but forgot to upload it for you 😛

• beverly posted on August 17, 2006 at 2:57 pm

Ooo cool! We were wandering outside around lunchtime, soo many people

• oo_mimi_oo posted on August 17, 2006 at 4:31 am

i LOVE buffets!!!

• beverly posted on August 17, 2006 at 2:58 pm

yeah.. but brings out the piggy in us *burps*

• bikkle posted on August 17, 2006 at 12:54 pm

sigh bev, u make me miss home food….

• beverly posted on August 17, 2006 at 3:08 pm

I miss it soo much when I’m in AU as well.. so I go nuts when I’m back in SG gorging on all the food I miss 😛

• sheila_1108 posted on August 17, 2006 at 5:01 am

Food :)~~~~

-Penangite

• beverly posted on August 17, 2006 at 2:50 pm

Re: Food :)~~~~

• starbucksweetie posted on August 17, 2006 at 1:16 pm

I think the coconut pancakes with the caramelised bananas look the most interesting and delicious. This was a great food post, as per usual.

• beverly posted on August 17, 2006 at 3:10 pm

They were really tasty, and actually quite western-like to be honest!

• Anonymous posted on August 17, 2006 at 5:18 am

yums

why no penang laksa & penang prawn mee????????????

• beverly posted on August 17, 2006 at 2:59 pm

Re: yums

It was there! But didn’t take pics of it 😛

• islegrl posted on August 17, 2006 at 1:55 pm

Just curious if Almond Pudding is a popular dessert out in Singapore. They seem to have it all over Japan. I just tried it recently and I love it! It’s so yummy and refreshing when served with mixed fruits.

• beverly posted on August 17, 2006 at 3:11 pm

I THINK it is.. I don’t like almond so I’ve never looked out for it, but I”m pretty sure I’ve seen it on menus 🙂

• protozone posted on August 17, 2006 at 5:58 am

Ebay Singapore looks like a toy store from outside. 😛

• beverly posted on August 17, 2006 at 3:00 pm

Re: yums

It looks like a toystore on the inside too 😛

• l_i_z posted on August 17, 2006 at 6:38 am

The eBay building looks so fun! And I LOVE the couch! hehe.

• beverly posted on August 17, 2006 at 3:00 pm

They’re similar all around the world.. i do like the fun environment 🙂

• isla_quack posted on August 17, 2006 at 2:42 pm

hehe that red sticky thing with yellow beans inside is called ang-gu-guei?
    the desserts look sooooo delicious 😀

• beverly posted on August 17, 2006 at 3:12 pm

I normally only find it okay.. but this one at the buffet was so yum :)~

• vixette7 posted on August 17, 2006 at 3:19 pm

the rice with kaya – is it kueh salat

looks like there’s some peranakan-ish food there too. go try ang ku kueh with other fillings – green bean (most common), peanut, red bean, durian, yam……

is all GOOD….

• beverly posted on August 18, 2006 at 2:37 am

Hmm I have no idea about the name.. it was delicious though!

• misawong posted on August 17, 2006 at 3:40 pm

Hey, I always go to that Penang buffet whenever I go back to Singapore. I am already drooling…

• beverly posted on August 18, 2006 at 2:38 am

Heh it’s a small world.. It’s so good hey, and so FILLING!

• kare2711 posted on August 17, 2006 at 8:13 am

Oh I absolutely must check out this buffet. Looks good.

• beverly posted on August 17, 2006 at 3:01 pm

• starlightfaboo posted on August 17, 2006 at 8:27 am

• beverly posted on August 17, 2006 at 3:01 pm

Yeah it was pretty new to me too.. it was fun 😀

• gradgirl79 posted on August 17, 2006 at 9:25 am

• beverly posted on August 17, 2006 at 3:02 pm

• pantenegal posted on August 17, 2006 at 9:36 am

that is one cool couch!

The food was like an explosion of flavour!

• beverly posted on August 17, 2006 at 3:02 pm

Yummmmm it’s probably better there, more authentic? Their food’s so good :)~

• jarmz posted on August 17, 2006 at 9:47 am

*yummmmm*

i had the sudden craving for popiah after your entry.
    so im gonna look for a delicious one for dinner. slurps!

• beverly posted on August 17, 2006 at 3:03 pm

Popiah’s SO GOOD, I think i’m addicted to the stuff now :)~

• jesuisariel posted on August 17, 2006 at 11:14 am

The eBay office and couch are so cute!!!

• beverly posted on August 17, 2006 at 3:05 pm

• makeupmag posted on August 17, 2006 at 12:01 pm

• beverly posted on August 17, 2006 at 3:05 pm

• makeupmag posted on August 17, 2006 at 4:02 pm

I kwym! Some of the names are hard to pronounce!

• yoshi83 posted on August 17, 2006 at 12:01 pm

Great photos 🙂

I guess being home makes you gain weight…so it happened to me too :/

• beverly posted on August 17, 2006 at 3:06 pm

I know.. eating lots of food and unhealthy stuff too, boo 🙁

• bikkle posted on August 17, 2006 at 12:54 pm

sigh bev, u make me miss home food….

• beverly posted on August 17, 2006 at 3:08 pm

• starbucksweetie posted on August 17, 2006 at 1:16 pm

• beverly posted on August 17, 2006 at 3:10 pm

They were really tasty, and actually quite western-like to be honest!

• islegrl posted on August 17, 2006 at 1:55 pm

• beverly posted on August 17, 2006 at 3:11 pm

• isla_quack posted on August 17, 2006 at 2:42 pm

hehe that red sticky thing with yellow beans inside is called ang-gu-guei?
    the desserts look sooooo delicious 😀

• beverly posted on August 17, 2006 at 3:12 pm

I normally only find it okay.. but this one at the buffet was so yum :)~

• vixette7 posted on August 17, 2006 at 3:19 pm

the rice with kaya – is it kueh salat

is all GOOD….

• beverly posted on August 18, 2006 at 2:37 am

Hmm I have no idea about the name.. it was delicious though!

• misawong posted on August 17, 2006 at 3:40 pm

• beverly posted on August 18, 2006 at 2:38 am

Heh it’s a small world.. It’s so good hey, and so FILLING!