FOOD, Food reviews, Uncategorized NANDO’S & THE RANCH HOTEL 31 July 2006

Nando’s
Westfield Shopping Centre
Chatswood

Few meals are as taste-bud tingling and satisfying as Nando’s Portuguese-style flame grilled chicken. Their star ingredient is the Peri Peri sauce, a super tasty spicy sauce that they baste almost all their food in. You can choose between Mild, Hot and Extra Spicy – I opted for the Hot today and found it pretty spicy. Chris got the Extra Spicy and the whole chicken looked so red I didn’t have the guts to taste it 😉 But beware, we discovered that the spicier you request your chicken, the saltier it is. I much prefer the Mild and will order that version next time.

Their hot chips are also always a winner, but you MUST order it with the Perinaise dipping sauce – Peri Peri sauce mixed with mayonnaise. It’s cool and creamy with the tiniest kick to it, and just perfect with the hot chips! And wanted to try something new, so selected the corn on the cob, Mild. It was utterly fantastic – lightly BBQ’d and with a hint of flavour from the sauce so it didn’t overpower the sweetness of the corn. Totally delicious, it’s a winner for next time!

Quarter chicken with Hot Peri-Peri sauce

Corn on the cob with Mild Peri-Peri sauce

Bowl of hot chips

Dessert was Beard Papa cream puffs – Vanilla and Chocolate

The Ranch Hotel bistro
Corner Epping Road and Herring Road
Eastwood, NSW 2122

Back when I lived in the North Ryde area, we frequented The Ranch fairly often. Large and roomy, it’s always packed and bustling inside. I always went for their famous $6.50 roast dinners, which was a real bargain. And frankly, I find the rest of the food really overpriced. The food IS nice, but not worth the $$. However, since we had a 1-for-1 coupon, we headed there today for dinner.. It was completely packed as usual, and so we waited almost 15mins in the queue just to order. However, the food only took a few mins to arrive, much to my surprise. Great, efficient service.

I chose the Pork Loin with roast vegetables and potatoes since I don’t think I’ve had pork loin before and was pretty curious. I was pretty shocked when this big slab of pork arrived on my plate – it was much larger than I thought! The pork was absolutely delicious though – so soft but had a really satisfying bite. Lots of fat that I had to trim off, but there were good chunks of pork in the middle that was super lean and super soft. Mmmmm :)~

Chris opted for Quesadillas with Chicken, Cheese, Spicy Tomato Salsa & Sour Cream which I stole some of.. it was lovely! The quesadillas were a little crisp on the outside and nice and warm.. and the salsa was just fantastic, though they should have been more generous with the salsa and sour cream. They made a great dinner though, really satisfying and so tasty!

The Ranch

Pork Loin with roast vegetables and potatoes

Quesadillas with Chicken, Cheese, Spicy Tomato Salsa & Sour Cream

• islegrl posted on July 31, 2006 at 6:29 am

Food looks yummy! And you went with Chris! *^^*

• beverly posted on July 31, 2006 at 11:24 am

Yeah *blush*.. it was nice 🙂

• l_i_z posted on July 31, 2006 at 7:14 am

Mmmm I love Nando’s! I like the Peri Peri Chip Dip better than the Perinaise though hehe. Those quesadillas look great.. I didn’t even know they existed before I went to Mexico, I love them! hehe:)

• beverly posted on July 31, 2006 at 11:25 am

Is the Peri Peri chip dip the tall long bottles that they put out for everyone to use?? I’ve tried it with the fries, it’s yum too :)~

• isla_quack posted on July 31, 2006 at 7:38 am

oh the ranch! a good place for macq uni students, not too expensive..
    went there once – had the roast of the day – yum!

• beverly posted on July 31, 2006 at 11:32 am

It gets SO packed! But I like the atmosphere 🙂

• blairwitch posted on July 31, 2006 at 9:59 am

I love Nando’s!! My ex and I used to eat at Nando’s all the time when we went to Melbourne 😀 For example, if we went to Melbourne for a week we would have Nando’s for lunch/dinner at least 5 times. LOL. It was pretty insane 😀

• beverly posted on July 31, 2006 at 11:34 am

Heh yeah, they’re not very $$ and so so tasty. Ranks up there with Maccas!

• bubbling posted on July 31, 2006 at 10:27 am

Oooh I had Nando’s today with my boyfriend too! First time in like a year or something that I’ve eaten it.. and yeah it was nice and yummy, but I only went for the mild sauce.

I haven’t tried The Ranch’s $6.50 roasts yet, but I’ll make it a suggestion sometime soon since Miles and I both live in the area.

Glad to see things are going well with Chris 🙂 *big hugs*

• beverly posted on July 31, 2006 at 11:36 am

Yayyy! Yeah, I think that the mild is the least salty, though I wish it was spicier 😉

The $6.50 roast @ The Ranch is such a good deal, it’s fantastic. Plus you get lots for your $!

• plwh888 posted on July 31, 2006 at 1:44 pm

I want the Pork Loin with roast vegetables and potatoes !!!

• beverly posted on July 31, 2006 at 9:38 pm

I don’t think I’ve had pork loin before.. I generally don’t really eat pork. I’m not a convert! 😛

• islegrl posted on July 31, 2006 at 6:29 am

Food looks yummy! And you went with Chris! *^^*

• beverly posted on July 31, 2006 at 11:24 am

Yeah *blush*.. it was nice 🙂

• l_i_z posted on July 31, 2006 at 7:14 am

• beverly posted on July 31, 2006 at 11:25 am

• isla_quack posted on July 31, 2006 at 7:38 am

oh the ranch! a good place for macq uni students, not too expensive..
    went there once – had the roast of the day – yum!

• beverly posted on July 31, 2006 at 11:32 am

It gets SO packed! But I like the atmosphere 🙂

• etherealprey posted on July 31, 2006 at 4:37 pm

hmmm beard papa’s cream puff….ur pork loin looks like a hand…sorry that’s just me, glad u had a good time…hmmm cream puffs….i think i’ll go out and get some now…hmmm puffy goodness…

• beverly posted on July 31, 2006 at 9:39 pm

Hahah the pork was the size of a big man’s hand, but it was great to have so much meat!

• notsoraggedyane posted on July 31, 2006 at 5:53 pm

Thankfully, they have Beard Papa here too…Rushed out to grab some after your yummy pics!

Vanilla is my fave…

• beverly posted on July 31, 2006 at 9:39 pm

Yayy hope you like ’em! I want to try the Green tea ones now..

• blairwitch posted on July 31, 2006 at 9:59 am

• beverly posted on July 31, 2006 at 11:34 am

Heh yeah, they’re not very $$ and so so tasty. Ranks up there with Maccas!

• bubbling posted on July 31, 2006 at 10:27 am

Glad to see things are going well with Chris 🙂 *big hugs*

• beverly posted on July 31, 2006 at 11:36 am

• plwh888 posted on July 31, 2006 at 1:44 pm

I want the Pork Loin with roast vegetables and potatoes !!!

• beverly posted on July 31, 2006 at 9:38 pm

• starbucksweetie posted on August 1, 2006 at 12:31 am

Hmm..the cream puffs look divine.

• beverly posted on August 1, 2006 at 12:39 pm

i normally don’t like/eat cream puffs. Except these.. they’re delish :)~

• etherealprey posted on July 31, 2006 at 4:37 pm

• beverly posted on July 31, 2006 at 9:39 pm

• notsoraggedyane posted on July 31, 2006 at 5:53 pm

Vanilla is my fave…

• beverly posted on July 31, 2006 at 9:39 pm

Yayy hope you like ’em! I want to try the Green tea ones now..

• starbucksweetie posted on August 1, 2006 at 12:31 am

Hmm..the cream puffs look divine.

• beverly posted on August 1, 2006 at 12:39 pm

i normally don’t like/eat cream puffs. Except these.. they’re delish :)~

• preci0us_dreams posted on August 7, 2006 at 11:03 am

The Ranch is fabulous! I live like 5 minutes away from it, and I love going there!

• beverly posted on August 7, 2006 at 2:37 pm

It’s sooo crowded hey? I wish the prices were half though 😉

• preci0us_dreams posted on August 8, 2006 at 10:41 am

exxy? very! we always take advantage of the Mum’s Night Off deal on Mondays!!!

• preci0us_dreams posted on August 7, 2006 at 11:03 am

• beverly posted on August 7, 2006 at 2:37 pm

It’s sooo crowded hey? I wish the prices were half though 😉

• preci0us_dreams posted on August 8, 2006 at 10:41 am

exxy? very! we always take advantage of the Mum’s Night Off deal on Mondays!!!