FASHION, Shopping STEALTH DIAPER BAGS @ TRIBE BAGS 7 July 2012

It’s no secret that my handbag fetish extends to diaper bags. Between my girl friends and I, I reckon we own virtually every diaper bag that exists 😛 It’s hard to explain the allure.. but every time you see a new one that just looks so functional and cute, AND it’s “for the baby”, your head sort of implodes and all rational thought flees the brain.. faster than you can say “I’ll buy it!”

I used my Lassig turquoise diaper bag for yonks, because it was practical and a gorgeous colour. However, after Hunter turned 1, it was a bit big for his needs. So I bought a Carter’s diaper bag that was small and compact, and held everything I needed. I’ve been using that since, so it’s gone a bit ratty and stained (hey, it was only $20!).

However, with another baby on the way, I’ll be needing a larger diaper bag once again not just for #2’s stuff, but also Hunter’s.

That’s when I discovered: Tribe diaper bags.

Crafted from gorgeous cowhide leather in a stunning array of colours, the brand was started by an Australian lady now residing in Singapore. I’ll be frank – they do NOT look like diaper bags. They look like designer handbags! Mum, upon seeing mine, doubtfully said “It’s not a diaper bag dear, it’s a handbag”.  BUT IT IS!!!!

The bags have a full leather exterior that my gf pointed out “is just like Miu Miu”. She’s spot-on. If you’re familiar with Miu Miu bags, these are virtually the same – same thick lush leather, same vibrant colours, same type of style. But……. the difference is…. Tribe bags are SUPER functional because they’re designed to be diaper bags.

Though, frankly, it works perfectly as a handbag 😉

Here’s why – the opening is smooth and exposes the interior, so no rooting around. Great for when used as a diaper bag or as a hand bag. There are tons of compartments and pockets, and I mean TONS. Great to put all the baby stuff into, or to keep your own belongings organised when used as a handbag. And, have I mentioned how sexy and luscious the leather looks? Oooh, and the leather smells awesome too 😉

Diaper bags almost always scream – I AM A DIAPER BAG. This one merely looks like a luxury hand bag. In fact, I’ll be using mine later as a handbag, and it’ll also double up as a fab travel bag IMHO.

I have the Singapore Sling in raspberry, by the way. I fell in love with the vibrant *pop* of bright pink and the fact that it is a kickass handbag in itself.

I FRICKKIN’ LOVE IT!!

Now, if only they would come up with this style in a mini size……….

Tribe (1)
Check out the wide zip opening!

Tribe (2)
2 very functional zippered pockets at the back

Tribe (3)
Spacious interior with lots of slip pockets and zip pockets

Tribe (4)
Me and my raspberry coloured Tribe bag

Tribe (5)
Worn cross-body style (with a cameo from Hunter)

Tribe (6)
A slightly closer look at my Tribe bag

Hmmm.. I really ought to take some pics of my stuff all packed into my Tribe bag, but I haven’t gotten round to it yet 😛

Love this quote 🙂

• joyce posted on July 7, 2012 at 5:52 pm

It’s lovely! The colour is so pretty! And now I’m tempted too!

• Beverly! posted on July 7, 2012 at 7:54 pm

It was the raspberry colour that first attracted me when I saw first saw it online. And it’s GORGEOUS in real life!

• jasmine posted on July 7, 2012 at 7:34 pm

wow, that’s a gorgeous bag! I love it. You’re so lucky that you can still afford to splurge!

• Beverly! posted on July 7, 2012 at 7:55 pm

Well I think of it as splurging on both myself AND 2 kids, cos the bag will be both a diaper bag and handbag. Hahaha!

• elainegan posted on July 8, 2012 at 3:19 pm

it does look spacious inside, couldn’t tell from the outlook itself. I’m dreading lugging my own and laura’s ginormous bag, need to look for a 2-in-1 before vacation 🙂

• Beverly! posted on July 8, 2012 at 10:17 pm

Heh sounds like this Tribe bag will be pretty fab for you guys then!

• Sherlyn posted on July 8, 2012 at 10:45 pm

Ooo, this looks tempting indeed! Just wondering if it is considered lightweight, as my current one gets quite heavy very easily.

• Beverly! posted on July 9, 2012 at 9:46 am

When it’s empty it’s fine! But when it’s stuffed full with water bottles, milk, food, toys, diapers etc etc it does get weighed down. But I suppose that’s the case regardless of whatever bag I use 😉

• Phylicia from Tribe posted on July 9, 2012 at 1:32 pm

So lovely to see you enjoying your bag! The raspberry colour really looks fab on you and in the photos.

Enjoy!

• Beverly! posted on July 9, 2012 at 9:26 pm

Thanks Phylicia. I am LOVING the colour. And very much hoping for a mini/smaller version 😉

• tribal brand posted on January 5, 2013 at 5:15 pm

The design and the color of your bag is looking awesome. I think it may contains many products inside. Thanks a lot Beverly for such a nice and beautiful post. I’m still waiting for some interesting thoughts from your side in your next post.

• JJ posted on May 31, 2013 at 10:39 pm

Hi bev, consider selling this bag of yours?

• Beverly! posted on June 1, 2013 at 11:11 pm

I actually am..! Will email you 🙂

• Kinsey posted on October 30, 2013 at 8:24 am

So Bev, was this bag everything you were expecting it to be?
    I recently pre-ordered a forest green one and am hoping it as great as it is in my mind! haha! 🙂

• Beverly! posted on October 30, 2013 at 3:50 pm

Ermmm actually I don’t use it very often anymore! It’s big, so I used it when Carter was a newborn, or when I was out with both kids. but now I use a smaller diaper bag since they don’t need so much stuff.

That said, it’s a gorgeous bag and the leather is DIVINE 🙂 I’m gonna use it for travel!

• Christina posted on November 19, 2013 at 12:04 pm

is this still available to buy? if so what’s the price an how do I place an order?

• Beverly! posted on November 19, 2013 at 3:26 pm

Yup, check out tribebags.com

• Mai posted on December 18, 2013 at 3:05 pm

How is it compared to jujube hobobe? I guess this must look much more luxury than hobobe but I’m a bit concerned with its size. I tend to carry small bags…

• Beverly! posted on December 19, 2013 at 7:31 pm

haven’t seen the hobobe so I have no idea. But I dont’ like the regular size diaper bags out there, they’re just too big for me. So this one is perfect cos it’s smaller!

• Mai posted on December 19, 2013 at 10:33 pm

Thanks. I thought you have a jujube hobobe in todoki print? The one can be worn on shoulders as well as cross-body.

• Beverly! posted on December 20, 2013 at 9:29 am

ARGH sorry I’m going crazy, thought you were comparing my Toki diaper bag with another Toki one! Let me start again…

Yes the Tribe looks more like a regular luxury handbag by far, and is bigger. It’s same size, roughly, as regular diaper bags out there, but the Toki one is smaller