Baking, FOOD, My recipes HOMECOOKED COMFORT FOODS 31 May 2012

This below is my super-sad looking cinnamon rolls. I was struck by a moment of insane craving for Cinnabons, which are sadly no longer in Singapore (WHYYYYY?!?!). And so I decided to go right ahead and make my own. It was my first time working with yeast and boy, I think I’ve been scared off working with yeast forevermore!

I honestly don’t know what I did wrong, but the dough was really really sloppy and wet. So much so that the rolls didn’t ‘hold’ together properly and were a bit of a mess. They baked up just fine, but the texture and flavour was more like cinnamon breadΒ than the sticky, wet cinnamon rolls that I was craving for. Disappointing πŸ™

My weak attempt at cinnamon rolls

But, at least I had fabulous success with brioche french toast!! Then again, it’s kind of a no-brainer to make, since it’s so easy πŸ˜‰ Mum and Dad supplied the brioche, a loaf of it from Wild Honey. The loaf consists of 8 thick slices of brioche for a whopping $9…!! But, the brioche is amazing, so I suppose at least it’s somewhat justified.

Whipping together eggs, cream, cinnamon sugar

Wild Honey's expensive but awesome brioche

Soaking the brioche in the mixture

Brioche french toast with salted butter and pure maple syrup

Mannnnnn THIS WAS GOOD

And this is something very simple to make, plus a good comfort food. It’s potato and leek soupΒ and very easy to throw together. It’s also EXCELLENT for babies – Hunter loves the creamy texture and the leek gives a natural flavour and spice to it. I serve it to him with some bread dippers, and he slurps everything up πŸ™‚

Pan-frying onions in some butter

Added in chopped potatoes, herbs, bay leaf and chicken stock.. then boil for ages

It's done once everything in there is meltingly soft

Pureed with a food processor, served with a dollop of cream and cracked black pepper. HELLO potato & leek soup!

• Ruth posted on May 31, 2012 at 10:05 pm

Hi beverly!

maybe you can try out this recipe. She’s got tons of step by step recipes and they look really great!
    Besides her cooking site, I like to read her main blog (www.storyofbing.com). Great photos and interesting content πŸ™‚

• Beverly! posted on June 1, 2012 at 10:08 am

Ooo thanks so much for that link Ruth!!

• Pris posted on June 1, 2012 at 3:53 am

Oh, I know what you mean about cinnamon rolls!!! I had the EXACT same experience with it the first time I baked cinnamon rolls. The second time though I baked it with my friend and it was the best thing I did, cos my friend helped me to work with the dough. If you want, here’s my recipe that always works for me:

• Beverly! posted on June 1, 2012 at 10:10 am

I think it’s best if you bake with a girl friend.., cos it’s more fun esp since it’s so time consuming!

Yours look SO neat and absolutely delicious….. can you make me some? πŸ˜›

• Pris posted on June 2, 2012 at 5:15 pm

Yes its great to bake with a gf! Can share the work and food too! I’d love to bake you some hun! Transport would be the only tough part!

Another question about food: When did you introduce cream / cheese to Hunter? And what recipe for chicken stock did you use for the potato and leek soup?

• Beverly! posted on June 2, 2012 at 9:00 pm

Hunter had yogurt from quite young.. think around 9 months. And since that’s dairy-based and he was fine with it, I gave him cheese maybe a few weeks after!

For chicken stock I used an organic carton of stock I got in the shops, but for veg stock I make my own (ie. make a veg soup)

• lilnooze posted on June 1, 2012 at 4:09 am

Oh, i was Just thinking of brioche this morning!! It’s also expensive over here, for off-the-shelf brioche. but so yummy!

• Beverly! posted on June 1, 2012 at 10:12 am

Ooo really? Then you should try making your own since you’re such a domestic goddess hee!

• lilnooze posted on June 1, 2012 at 11:54 am

Hah, there are some items I just wanna pay and buy. πŸ˜‰

• Elaine posted on June 1, 2012 at 9:59 am

Hello! I am just wondering if you add salt or seasoning to Hunter’s food. I realized Hunter eats most food that you cook for your family and I assume there would be some seasoning involved. I am asking this because my baby is so picky with his food and obviously don’t like his food bland. However I am still not comfortable to add salt in his porridge. The meat and vegetables in the porridge is not “tasty” enough for him. πŸ™

• Beverly! posted on June 1, 2012 at 10:22 am

I’m actually a stickler for ZERO salt in Hunter’s food. I haven’t once added a grain of salt and don’t intend to – reason being I read in many baby foods that they already get their full daily intake of sodium requirements from the ingredients (naturally-occurring) and there is no need to add.

Instead, I do use herbs and pepper (for his pasta, omelette, etc).

My mum has a tip though – stir in some cheddar cheese in the porridge. It has some salt in it as well as flavour, to give the porridge some kick πŸ™‚

• peter posted on June 1, 2012 at 3:23 pm

i think what we all reall want to know
    is your exercise and diet routine
    how can you eat all this food
    and have 2 babies and still look so
    good ?!!!!!

• Beverly! posted on June 1, 2012 at 9:55 pm

Haha thanks Peter! But ummm we will see what happens AFTER #2 is out πŸ˜‰

• peter posted on June 2, 2012 at 5:54 pm

i’m sure you’ll be looking just as hot !!! – lol

• Sophil posted on June 2, 2012 at 12:09 am

Hi Beverly! Have you tried Provence? They have really good Cinnamon Rolls! You gotta try them! πŸ™‚ They have a shop at Holland Village! Also at Ion Orchard, Vivocity and some other malls πŸ™‚

• Beverly! posted on June 2, 2012 at 11:02 am

My cinnamon rolls turned out like the Provence onces.. a bit more like bread and drier than the original USA Cinnabons! I like the latter cos they’re so wet and sticky πŸ™‚

But, their choc wassants are soooooo good there

• peter posted on June 3, 2012 at 1:00 pm

hey there arent enough restaurant reviews lately !!! lol

• Beverly! posted on June 3, 2012 at 10:07 pm

I have a few backlogged.. just gotta get off my bum and do em πŸ˜›