Baking, FOOD, My recipes LE CREUSET 14 November 2011

I’ve heard many things about Le Creuset, so was super-excited with my parents got us one as a present. In classic, bright orange, no less! 😛

I took it out for a spin the other day and made a beef casserole. What I like about Le Creuset is that they are really heavy and sturdy – perfect for making stews and casseroles because of the even heat distribution of the pot. It means you can chuck the whole thing in the oven and just check on it every 45mins or so while the food slow-cooks.

Browning beef in the pan

Adding mushrooms, tomatoes, beef stock

All whacked into Le Cruset 🙂

Food slow-cooking

Variation #1: served with mashed potatoes and truffle

Variation #2: made into a pie!

With a homemade cream of broccoli soup and warm baguette

Dessert part 1: a custard tea cake (one of Chris' favourite desserts)

I also made a little snack/extra dessert for our dinner party that night. Smookies!! Just the name alone made me want to try it out 😉 Plus, HELLO? Nutella and peanut butter? As if I could resist 😉 Check out the recipe, it’s pretty straightforward to make and a lovely little snack to munch on whilst watching TV..

Mixing up all the ingredients

About to go into the oven

Fresh cookies out of the oven

Made into Smookies!!

If only I had all the time in the world… I would cook and bake every day.

• Shree posted on November 14, 2011 at 12:01 pm

I’m hungry now..it all looks so yummy!!

• Beverly! posted on November 14, 2011 at 12:16 pm

Beef stew is always such fab comfort food too!

• tyra8 posted on November 14, 2011 at 12:08 pm

Le Creuset never disappoints! Do check out Taka during their sales period. Some of their range can go up to 50% off!

• Beverly! posted on November 14, 2011 at 12:18 pm

Yeah i saw the sale, it was at Robinsons too! But technically I don’t *need* anything else so holding out for now 😛

• Michelle posted on November 14, 2011 at 2:30 pm

Le Creuset pots are great!! I use them for stews & soups. Btw, you should brown your meat in the Le Creuset, this way, all the yummy brown bits will add flavor to your stew 🙂

• Beverly! posted on November 14, 2011 at 7:39 pm

Yeah I realised that afterwards.. I was like “why did I brown the meat separately? DUH” 😛

• Pei posted on November 14, 2011 at 2:36 pm

That was the exact same first LC piece that I received from my mum! My collection is growing slowly but steadily though, as I replace all my cookware…I love it all, as it wears and serves beautifully! Enjoy 🙂

• Beverly! posted on November 14, 2011 at 7:59 pm

Ooo which other one would you say is the most useful for you? I like the small ramekins for making chocolate fondants, but not sure if it’s actually practical… Maybe a small saucepan instead?

• Pei posted on November 22, 2011 at 12:22 pm

URGH i think it just deleted my answers!

abbreviated answer: most used is my oval French oven (think it’s 5qt), which is smaller than my giant orange round FO. perfect for poaching chicken or stews or browning meats, or soups. LOVE.

next fav is the cast iron skillet (mine is this one: http://cookware.lecreuset.com/cookware/product_10-1%2F4%22-Iron-Handle-Skillet_10151_-1_20002_10065_10048) which i love for sauteing or eggs or meats as i can go straight from stovetop to oven. as long as the food doesn’t require the “wok hei” like for Chinese stirfries (those i use my big wok), i use this baby!

• Beverly! posted on November 22, 2011 at 9:46 pm

Ooo thanks Pei! I do want a skillet/frypan.. may have to get that next 😛

• Erica posted on November 14, 2011 at 6:09 pm

Lucky! I’ve been wanting one since back in Sydney but don’t want to pay so much for one. No point getting one now too coz we hardly cook nowadays and I’d get very upset if my maid doesn’t take good care of it.

• Beverly! posted on November 14, 2011 at 8:06 pm

Yeah it’s really only if you guys wanna cook, and you don’t make stews/casseroles very often anyways! Better to go buy more T&C instead… lol

• Erica posted on November 14, 2011 at 8:14 pm

Very true. Lol! When we do move out though I’m gonna go so crazy buying stuff for the kitchen. No point spending so much on nice kitchen ware now when it’s just gonna get destroyed by the maids coz they never take care of the stuff like we would.

• Joni posted on November 15, 2011 at 1:56 am

do you have the recipe for the custard tea cake? it looks very moist and delicious! 🙂

• Amy posted on November 15, 2011 at 7:16 pm

Ooh yummo Bev, excellent tip of using the stew as pie filling, gotta try that I’m sure my kids will devour it! I always love your cocking/baking posts, you make the yummiest stuff, (but reading about Hunter is my fav of course lah eheh…)

• Beverly! posted on November 16, 2011 at 4:13 pm

You can make a big pot of the stew, and use half for dinner and the other half for pies (which freezes really well, just pull em out of the freezer and oven-bake!)

• Lily posted on November 16, 2011 at 10:46 pm

I managed to find a Le creuset sale the last time I was in Sydney, some outlet in Alexandria, it was $100 off it’s original price just because of the difference in colour! I got the pastel green one, I still can’t believe it was cheaper just because of it’s colour lol.

• Beverly! posted on November 17, 2011 at 8:36 pm

Wow Lily, that’s so silly…! But great deal for you, hehe

• Spec posted on November 17, 2011 at 12:45 pm

Hi, do u hv any beef stew recipe to share? Thanks!

• Beverly! posted on November 17, 2011 at 8:39 pm

I’m sorry I don’t have a specific one.. I tend to just throw in whatever! But try allrecipes.com, they’re my fave site 🙂