Parties A FABULOUS ‘CHINDIAN’ WEDDING 12 September 2011

I first met my lovely girl friend, Leana, back when I was living in Australia and she had moved there for university. We were both around 18 then and I actually can’t even remember how we first got to know each other.. but I think we were online friends first. I know it’s incredibly nerdy, but almost all of my great female relationships are with friends I’ve first known only online. After all, you already know you’re almost guaranteed to click since you’ve already chatted online extensively and have the same interests!

Anyway, she is a self-described “chindian” (Chinese Indian), must have met the only other chindian of our age.. who, coincidentally, is from Singapore. What are the chances, right?!

And so their wedding was at the luxe Four Seasons Hotel, and the guests came resplendently dressed – many wearing glittering Indian saris or Chinese qipaos. It was like a gorgeous fashion parade, so I  was quite thankful that despite not having time to have a shower or even do my hair/makeup properly (we were in a mad rush since we had to bathe/put Hunter to sleep prior to leaving), I managed to pull on my Alannah Hill party dress and so at least didn’t look too under-dressed.

LeanaWedding01

The Four Seasons hotel

LeanaWedding02

Reception area

I was super excited when I heard that the Singapore prime minister and other ministers were at the dinner, just 2 tables down from me. I’m not sure why I got overly excited, considering I don’t care much for politics. I guess it was the first time I’ve seen him in real life! From my vantage point, he appeared pretty down-to-earth and friendly. I was keen to run up to snap a photo with him, but was a bit shy (STOP LAUGHING I DO GET SHY SOMETIMES OK!!!) and so didn’t. D’oh!!

Anyway, as we were milling around with cocktails, we heard that there was a Peking duck station at the other end. We legged it over there and true enough! Delicious peking duck wrapped in soft pancakes. Yummy.

LeanaWedding03

Peking duck makes me happy

The meal was delicious and I loved how it was Western food. Weddings in Singapore almost always have a Chinese banquet so it was unique and much appreciated. And, what can I say? The food was absolutely fantastic. Four Seasons really does whip up a mean meal.

LeanaWedding04

The ballroom

LeanaWedding05

Pretty table setting

LeanaWedding06

Goats cheese tart with caviar

LeanaWedding07

Poached salmon, chilled prawn and scallop in young lettuce with fine herbs served with red wine vinaigrette

LeanaWedding08

Roasted butternut squash bisque infused with sunflower pesto

LeanaWedding09

Mandarin orange and champagne sorbet

LeanaWedding11

Roasted rack of lamb with onion dusted eggplant puree, roasted peppers, rosemary jus

LeanaWedding12

Red velvet wedding cake

Mid-way through our meal, the bridal party got up to do an Indian dance. I don’t know if it’s traditional or not since I know nothing about Indian custom or music, but it was awesome to watch! Very energetic and entertaining, and had all the guests in hysterics ‘cos of all the crazy dancing and jumping around 😉

LeanaWedding13

Dancing!

Video of the dancing
httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLtszxC7U8g

LeanaWedding14

Me and the lovely bride 🙂

• Ruth posted on September 12, 2011 at 10:20 pm

Four seasons! Yum! And I’m so envious of the red velvet wedding cake!

Ok, enough about the food. You both look great 🙂 can’t tell you rushed! 😀

• Beverly! posted on September 13, 2011 at 8:22 am

Hehe I was thinking about you cos I know you like it too. You, Cindy and I have to get it from Food For Thought!!

• Ruth posted on September 13, 2011 at 9:43 am

YESSS! Gawd, I sound so food deprived.

FFT at Bras Basah has closed. They are opening a new one at the Botanics some time end of year!

Exciting news. To me at least. But the one at 8Q is still awesome. 😀

• Beverly! posted on September 13, 2011 at 10:06 am

Oh 🙁 Is there another branch open that we can go to? Let’s go next week!

• ericayeo posted on September 12, 2011 at 10:23 pm

I had the peking duck station at my wedding as well but I didn’t even get to try it. 🙁

• Beverly! posted on September 13, 2011 at 8:23 am

Whattttt I didn’t know that! I discovered the strawberry and choc station at your wedding though and was very pleased, teehee

• ericayeo posted on September 13, 2011 at 8:31 am

I don’t think anyone could have missed the strawberry ice bath! You know, I think you wore the same AH dress to my wedding. :p

• Beverly! posted on September 13, 2011 at 8:45 am

….AND I wore that same dress to Amanda’s wedding too.

It’s my Wedding Dress 😉

• kim posted on September 13, 2011 at 12:42 am

Looks like a lovely wedding! The peking duck station is genius!

• Beverly! posted on September 13, 2011 at 8:24 am

It’s a good idea hey! Cos usually guests just have cocktails and maybe a few nuts, which is a bit boring :X

• Pebsicle posted on September 13, 2011 at 8:54 am

Four Seasons is awesome, isn’t it? I was kinda mean though, I insisted on NO PEKING DUCK cuz I wouldn’t get the chance to eat it! Muahahaha!

• Beverly! posted on September 13, 2011 at 10:14 am

Oh you evil bride, lol!!!

• CatPuccino posted on September 13, 2011 at 3:53 pm

Wow Chindian! Looks like a lovely combination of genetics though. Your friend looks so glam!!!

• Beverly! posted on September 13, 2011 at 5:35 pm

Yeah I reckon that mix makes really gorgeous babies and people… so exotic!

• thien-lanweber posted on September 14, 2011 at 7:16 pm

eh we haven’t met online!!!

• Beverly! posted on September 14, 2011 at 8:36 pm

You are one of the few gfs I know offline first though heh. Erica I first met online too!

• Aimee posted on September 15, 2011 at 2:31 pm

B,

Your AH Dress is gorgeous, love the detail!!! Do you have a full length pic???

Leana has beautiful skin. Is her dad / mum indian??? Did she marry a chindian too??

🙂