Pregnancy, Uncategorized GIVING BIRTH 17 December 2010

A couple of times a week, I’ll get people asking “So where are you going to give birth?”. I mentioned it in our announcement video but will do a blog post about it too for those that missed it 🙂

To get straight to the point – I’ll be giving birth in Shanghai.

It’s the best, safest, and nicest option for us.. The downside is that it costs US$15,000 to give birth here in Shanghai, which is paid as a lump sump, up-front. Have you fainted yet?? I nearly did when I found out!! Eek. It actually costs WAY less for us to fly back to Singapore or Australia to give birth… which is probably why a lot of expats prefer to go back to their home countries to… but it just doesn’t work out for us.

Mainly, flying somewhere to give birth would mean I’d need to start my maternity leave much earlier. And since Chris is also working, we’ll be separated for months which is an impossibility (we’re a bit joined at the hip!). Plus, there’s just too much fuss in packing and living somewhere else, when we consider Shanghai to be our home and I’m most comfortable here.

Of course, there is a HUGE variety of options to give birth in here in Shanghai. There are obviously the local hospitals that China people would go to – they’re incredibly affordable, like you would not believe! Safety-wise, I do trust them. Contrary to popular belief, Shanghai is very advanced and modern; it’s not like these local hospitals are gross and you’re giving birth on the side of the road or anything. Plus, there are millions of people in Shanghai giving birth with no issues, so these local hospitals are probably the most well-equipped. However, it was not an option for us mainly because of the language barrier. I don’t even know the word “Push!” in Chinese, let alone hold a conversation with the doctor! Plus, it’s all very ‘production-line’ with no private attention or rooms, since there are so many people there. And finally, hell would freeze over before Chris would agree to that 😛

Then there are the expat hospitals, catered for foreigners. Not many, and basically ours (Parkway Health) is the only stand-alone 24/7 hospital that specialises in maternity. It’s just a few mins away from our place, has HIGHLY personalised care and attention, and is all round super. Also, they’re part of the Gleneagles hospital group, the hospital in Singapore where I was born (yes, I was born in Singapore. People always assume I was born in Australia, which isn’t true; I just lived there).

The high cost is also why the doctors and nurses are super attentive – they let me have lots of ultrasounds (and the 4D scans as well), and watch me very carefully. It makes us feel safe and looked after, a huge priority for us when we made our decision to give birth in a foreign country. Their birthing suites are also really nice – all private, where you labour, give birth, and recover all in the same room. Our baby won’t be taken away and put in a common nursery, and medical staff come into the private room to check on him instead. I also like the private bathroom in the suite, and how it’s tucked away so the area is very quiet and serene for me and my family.

So that’s the long and short of it 🙂 To each their own, and everyone has their own opinion and comfort level on where they want to give birth. But anyhow, that’s the rationale behind our decision!

On a side note, I am officially full-term in 2 weeks. INSANE!!!!!!!!

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• balletpumps posted on December 17, 2010 at 10:03 am

Ooh I wouldn’t deliver at the public hospitals too. I’d like some privacy to rest and enjoy my baby after delivering so I think you are making a really good choice here! 🙂 does insurance cover part of the birthing costs??

• beverly posted on December 17, 2010 at 12:09 pm

The privacy is a big thing.. I don’t think I would like being squashed into a room with a bunch of other women. I know it sounds soo snobby, but at least I’m honest! 😛

Ya fortunately our company insurance covers 100% of the cost 😀

• Anonymous posted on January 12, 2011 at 4:12 am

That cost is indeed shocking! But that seems about the usual for many inpatient costs…
        But are still they going to make you pay up front even if you have insurance? Don’t you just give them your insurance info? That’s great your maternity costs are 100% covered!

• magdalyn posted on December 17, 2010 at 10:12 am

Hey, I was born in Gleneagles too. LOL.

Anyway, all the best, babe! You’ll make a great mum 🙂

• beverly posted on December 17, 2010 at 12:14 pm

Heh cool! If we were in SG I’d give birth there as well 🙂

• sydneyfoodie posted on December 17, 2010 at 11:13 am

I would have made the same decision you did. I gave birth in a private hospital in Sydney, had my own room and bathroom, own fridge and a queen bed so hubby could stay the night. On the last night they even encourage the new parents to leave the baby with the midwives so that they could go out for a quiet dinner.

All the best and enjoy the experience 🙂

• beverly posted on December 17, 2010 at 12:26 pm

Yours sounds simply loooovely, how decadent!! I think that whilst it’s so $$ to go private, it’s worth it for your sanity 😉

• cassandraclue posted on December 17, 2010 at 11:21 am

Do the expat hospitals not accept Western insurance? We have similar hospitals here in Russia, and they are very expensive, but they also accept my American insurance coverage.

I’ve been to the public hospitals here a few times, and it was frightening, to say the least.

• beverly posted on December 17, 2010 at 12:27 pm

Our companies provide insurance, so fortunately we don’t pay anything, whew!

• jzlyn posted on December 17, 2010 at 12:08 pm

It’s equally expensive here in HK. HKD 150,000 give or take a couple of grand for private hospitals. We didn’t go public mainly because of the language barrier. I would hate to have to put up with constant chattering in Cantonese and trying to decipher what the nurses are saying in the hongkie English while in pain would drive me to murder.

Thankfully we have fab insurance coverage and I think we can even sort out direct billing 🙂

• beverly posted on December 17, 2010 at 12:29 pm

It’s so weird, as it’s waaay cheaper in SG for the same quality! I think the prices are jacked up ‘cos of the foreign doctors but oh well, not much choice :X

We have good insurance too so it’s 100% covered.. thank goodness… I’d freak if we had to pay it 😛

• dreamlaughlive posted on December 17, 2010 at 1:46 pm

Wow, two weeks to full term, the third trimester seem to pass really quickly isn’t it?! 😛

It’so exciting that the baby will finally be in your arms after the months of anticipation!! heh

• beverly posted on December 18, 2010 at 1:42 am

You’re fast behind too.. looking forward to it? 🙂
      I can’t wait to give birth.. pregnancy is very fun but nothing beats having your baby in your arms!

• dreamlaughlive posted on December 20, 2010 at 2:22 pm

Yea, I can’t wait too! 🙂 Good luck on the delivery ya? I’m sure you are in good hands!

• claypot posted on December 17, 2010 at 3:26 pm

Woo! I don’t and never will work in maternity – so I may be wrong, but aren’t babies put in nurseries because they’re pre-term, or something’s not quite right, rather than being the norm?

• beverly posted on December 18, 2010 at 2:39 am

Don’t quote me on this, but I think they tend to be in there for a lil while at least, and esp if there’s some sort of condition (ie. jaundice, etc)? I haven’t really heard of babies in cots next to their mother’s bed, esp in wards where there are multiple patients.. Not sure tho!

• weelisa posted on December 17, 2010 at 3:53 pm

we’re a bit joined at the hip

I completely understand; I feel the same way about my husband! ;p

• beverly posted on December 18, 2010 at 2:52 am

Heheh can’t help it! It was just out of the question with me going overseas and being apart for months..

• balletpumps posted on December 17, 2010 at 10:03 am

• beverly posted on December 17, 2010 at 12:09 pm

Ya fortunately our company insurance covers 100% of the cost 😀

• Anonymous posted on January 12, 2011 at 4:12 am

• magdalyn posted on December 17, 2010 at 10:12 am

Hey, I was born in Gleneagles too. LOL.

Anyway, all the best, babe! You’ll make a great mum 🙂

• beverly posted on December 17, 2010 at 12:14 pm

Heh cool! If we were in SG I’d give birth there as well 🙂

• carorules posted on December 17, 2010 at 6:44 pm

Gosh that is expensive woah!

• beverly posted on December 18, 2010 at 3:01 am

I know.. ugh! I guess it’s to pay the expat wages of the foreign staff 😛

• sydneyfoodie posted on December 17, 2010 at 11:13 am

All the best and enjoy the experience 🙂

• beverly posted on December 17, 2010 at 12:26 pm

• cassandraclue posted on December 17, 2010 at 11:21 am

• beverly posted on December 17, 2010 at 12:27 pm

Our companies provide insurance, so fortunately we don’t pay anything, whew!

• jzlyn posted on December 17, 2010 at 12:08 pm

• beverly posted on December 17, 2010 at 12:29 pm

• dreamlaughlive posted on December 17, 2010 at 1:46 pm

• beverly posted on December 18, 2010 at 1:42 am

You’re fast behind too.. looking forward to it? 🙂

• dreamlaughlive posted on December 20, 2010 at 2:22 pm

• claypot posted on December 17, 2010 at 3:26 pm

• beverly posted on December 18, 2010 at 2:39 am

• weelisa posted on December 17, 2010 at 3:53 pm

we’re a bit joined at the hip

I completely understand; I feel the same way about my husband! ;p

• beverly posted on December 18, 2010 at 2:52 am

• carorules posted on December 17, 2010 at 6:44 pm

Gosh that is expensive woah!

• beverly posted on December 18, 2010 at 3:01 am

I know.. ugh! I guess it’s to pay the expat wages of the foreign staff 😛

• fuchsiacow posted on December 18, 2010 at 4:50 am

I admit I gasped *aloud* when I read the cost. =p But honestly, I wld do it if I was in China even if I can understand Mandarin.

So exciting… Anytime soon. 🙂 Have a smooth delivery!

• beverly posted on December 18, 2010 at 3:11 pm

I haven’t given birth in a local hospital here so I can’t really make a proper comment, but yeah, I think I’d be like you even if I was fluent!

• fuchsiacow posted on December 18, 2010 at 4:50 am

So exciting… Anytime soon. 🙂 Have a smooth delivery!

• beverly posted on December 18, 2010 at 3:11 pm

• babyrussell posted on December 19, 2010 at 6:08 am

It’s about US$21K here in Beijing!! And, our company insurance doesn’t cover maternity nor is my Mandarin anywhere near competent… 🙁

For that reason, will be flying back to birth and endure the months-long separation period. Le sigh!! You are so fortunate!!

• beverly posted on December 19, 2010 at 6:55 am

Eeek I didn’t think Beijing would be more than Shanghai! I’m with you, if insurance doesn’t cover then we’d fly elsewhere too. HOpefully you have family that will look after you too and keep you comfy *hug*!!

• babyrussell posted on December 19, 2010 at 6:08 am

• beverly posted on December 19, 2010 at 6:55 am

• j0s1e267 posted on December 20, 2010 at 4:03 pm

I wouldn’t dream of being separated from Lams either! You will be so well taken care of at your hospital, having absolute peace of mind & comfort is really important!

• beverly posted on December 21, 2010 at 5:09 am

i hope it’ll all go smoothly… not long to go now! 😛

• j0s1e267 posted on December 20, 2010 at 4:03 pm

• beverly posted on December 21, 2010 at 5:09 am

i hope it’ll all go smoothly… not long to go now! 😛

• somebluenotes posted on December 24, 2010 at 1:50 am

I’ve been following your blog for the past year. However, this has just come to my mind…do you speak Mandarin?

• beverly posted on December 24, 2010 at 2:06 am

Hi hi!
      About mandarin – we can speak basic mandarin, enough to get around in a restaurant or in a taxi.. but that’s about it. It’s hard ‘cos people speak quickly and not so easy to gasp what they’re saying!

• somebluenotes posted on December 24, 2010 at 1:50 am