Fitness, Pregnancy, Uncategorized WHOOPSY DAISY! 28 November 2010

I took a tumble today 🙁

It was when we were out shopping after lunch (OK fine, I didn’t look nearly as glamorous as the cartoon above, but oh well!). The Tods boutique in Plaza66 is a bit of a death trap. OK, not really, for normal human beings. See, the entrance has a bit of a slope but it’s not very steep and only a short one, so regular people would stumble a little at the most if they don’t notice it (hard to as the floor’s all the same colour and polished with no markings indicating there’s a slope).

But, me now being pregnant, where I normally would’ve just stumbled, I ended up flying and falling heavily (well, I AM 12kg heavier now!) onto the ground. UGH!!

The 4 salesgirls screamed behind me and were all frozen to the spot, and the salesguy at the door near me crouched down beside me to ask if I was OK but was too scared to touch me or help me back up. And the shopping centre’s security guard came running over and just stared at me in shock, as did around 5-6 other shoppers. Everyone was just gasping and staring at me with a wide-eyed look of horror……. but no one helped me! I don’t blame them, they were all too scared to move and didn’t really know what to do… I guess people freak out when they see a heavily pregnant woman fall flat on the ground.

I was in shock and pain for about 2 mins so I couldn’t move, and was frantically trying to figure out where the pain was coming from. It was mostly in my left ankle (twisted it badly so it’s really sore now) so it took me a few mins before I had to heave myself off the floor, in a most un-ladylike fashion.

Walked over to Chris (he was only just round the corner waiting for me but didn’t hear/notice the commotion) who promptly brought me home and sat me on the couch, and I had a nap for around 1.5 hours. Now, feeling OK (except for a sore ankle) and baby boy is still kicking inside me with fervor so I suppose all is fine!

Anyway – this is just to remind my pregnant girl friends to please be careful!!! I am pretty careful and very nervous going up/down stairs since I’m unstable now, and when Chris is around he’s practically carrying me whenever we’re outdoors…. yet this still happened to me. I had good flat shoes on, but a combination of me not seeing the small slope and the polished floor has enough effect to make me take a rough tumble. So, be careful!!

In other news, had our 3rd Trimester ultrasound today which went swimmingly. He is measuring at 33.5 weeks and is “fully engaged”/dropped. Surprising, as usually babies don’t drop until around 2 weeks before their due date, but it’s not a problem (and probably good news as he will stay in this position for the duration of the pregnancy, woohoo).

Only problem? My cervix is thinning. Errrrrr… a little TMI but oh well, when you’re pregnant, there’s no such thing as TMI, so I’m told 😉 It was 4cm last appointment (normal) and reduced to 2.8cm this appointment (still ok but a big decrease). If it reduces to 1cm then it’s danger-zone. The cause may be due to my unusually high level of activity (for a pregnant woman). So under doctor’s orders, I have to “take it easy”, walk less, and………. cut down/stop going to the gym.

WAAAHHHH!!!!

Awful news. The movement, walking, exercise, etc is what makes me feel awesome throughout the pregnancy, and what puts him to sleep (otherwise he kicks me so much my insides hurt). Without it I won’t really know what to do with myself, and will likely jump out of my own skin, plus probably have all those yuck pregnancy symptoms, which I’ve managed to sneakily avoid so far, come at me with a vengeance 🙁

But I will reduce gym sessions to 2x a week as a compromise.. and will cut out the weight-lifting at the gym entirely as well. Blah. Crap news, but I only have to survive it for 2 weeks until my next appointment.. and if all is OK then, doctor said I can go back to my usual levels of activity *whew*!

• tiffanyx posted on November 27, 2010 at 4:21 pm

your tweet scared me big time! was worried it’ll make you go into labour earlier! i was juz about to sms you when i realised i DO NOT have your SHA number! *smack forehead* i thought i do! -.-;;; had you went to the gynae to inform him about your fall?

• beverly posted on November 28, 2010 at 3:56 am

Fortunately didn’t….. whew! All OK now so no need to go back to the docs, yay

• hyperion1 posted on November 27, 2010 at 4:49 pm

oh no.. so scary.. glad you are okay!!!

• beverly posted on November 28, 2010 at 3:56 am

I hope Nancy never suffered a fall with both your girls, it’s so scary!

• hyperion1 posted on November 28, 2010 at 5:49 am

luckily she never fell…. take care *hugs*

• good_lenchik posted on November 27, 2010 at 4:51 pm

OMG Bev! You got me so scared. Was about to text you but I guess you are sleeping already. Please pay doctor a visit just in case. Chris must feel terrible. He left you alone for a minute and this happen to you. I think now he will not let you make a step w/o him around. Apply ice compress for your ankle 5 times a day 15-20 min to avoid swelling. I would recommend voltaren gel to remove inflammation, but I’m not sure pregnant women can use it.

PS: I guess no shopping for you today?!

• beverly posted on November 28, 2010 at 9:57 am

You were up late 😛 Thank you though.. ya Chris got a bigger scare than I did I think! today sat on the couch all day with my feet up.. so boring, lol…..

• winterswitchery posted on November 27, 2010 at 8:13 pm

I’m glad you’re okay *hugs* Baby and mom are hardy though! My mom passed out in the mall when she was 8 or 9 mos. pregnant with me (she gained 50lbs so she was huuge) and people were freaked out. But everything was all good 🙂

So close now!

• winterswitchery posted on November 27, 2010 at 8:14 pm

(passed out like dropped to the ground like a stone)

• beverly posted on November 28, 2010 at 9:58 am

Cripes that’s scary… I’m glad everything turned out ok!

• weelisa posted on November 27, 2010 at 8:46 pm

Ouch – that’s scary just to read – nevermind to actually see or go through.

Glad to hear you’re all right!

• beverly posted on November 28, 2010 at 10:19 am

Thanks hon 🙂 I’m glad all ok today.. whew

• oh_ayana posted on November 27, 2010 at 10:50 pm

omg, glad to know you and the little one are okay!
    Have fun taking it easy, so close now, he must be kicking because he wants to meet you both hehe

• beverly posted on November 28, 2010 at 10:20 am

Hehe I think he wants to come out already, he kicks so frantically!

• thefragrantelf posted on November 27, 2010 at 11:03 pm

SO glad you and bebe are okay, hon!!!

Big bummer about the exercise but definitely best to follow doc’s orders… although I can’t believe he kicks so much, wow! So good you can still keep a little active!

• beverly posted on November 28, 2010 at 10:25 am

It was a real scare.. but fortunately I think I didn’t fall too badly!
      The kicks are fun, but they do exhaust me cos he can do it constantly… gulp!

• nycarm posted on November 27, 2010 at 11:31 pm

Glad to hear you’re ok. That must have been quite a fright!

My son was born at 38 weeks, so your little one might make an early-ish appearance for you! 😀

• beverly posted on November 28, 2010 at 10:37 am

Awww lucky! I’m hoping to be on 38-40 wks but I heard most first-time mums go overdue.. dohhh

• tiffanyx posted on November 27, 2010 at 4:21 pm

• beverly posted on November 28, 2010 at 3:56 am

Fortunately didn’t….. whew! All OK now so no need to go back to the docs, yay

• aqualuna posted on November 28, 2010 at 12:33 am

Oh Bev, glad to know that both you and the baby are okay! Take care and be careful, hun!

• beverly posted on November 28, 2010 at 10:38 am

• hyperion1 posted on November 27, 2010 at 4:49 pm

oh no.. so scary.. glad you are okay!!!

• beverly posted on November 28, 2010 at 3:56 am

I hope Nancy never suffered a fall with both your girls, it’s so scary!

• hyperion1 posted on November 28, 2010 at 5:49 am

luckily she never fell…. take care *hugs*

• good_lenchik posted on November 27, 2010 at 4:51 pm

PS: I guess no shopping for you today?!

• beverly posted on November 28, 2010 at 9:57 am

• blissfultyrant posted on November 28, 2010 at 1:04 am

gosh, Thank God you and baby are alright. Pls take care of your ankle!

Have a rest, walk in a pool instead? helps to elevate some of the weight.

• beverly posted on November 28, 2010 at 10:39 am

My ankle’s sore but at least I can walk on it, whew…

Yeah good idea, I think I’ll do swimming next month, probably much lower impact than the gym!

• blissfultyrant posted on November 28, 2010 at 1:41 pm

hear swimming helps too.. or just walking up and down in the pool. Resistance training 😉

• jzlyn posted on November 28, 2010 at 1:14 am

Glad to hear you and the little one are okay. Be more careful and take care of yourself babe!

• beverly posted on November 28, 2010 at 10:40 am

Thank you hon… you be very careful with yourself too!

• specialagentldy posted on November 28, 2010 at 1:19 am

So glad you and the little one are okay! :-\

• beverly posted on November 28, 2010 at 10:42 am

Me too.. it was quite the shock! Glad I didn’t fall ON my belly or anything :X

• belladonna_fb posted on November 28, 2010 at 3:04 am

your body’s probably telling you to slow down! enjoy the last few weeks of your pregnancy 🙂

• beverly posted on November 28, 2010 at 10:42 am

Yeah will cut down to 2x/week gym now and be more careful… at least only 7 weeks or so to go, yay!

• littlemisskeira posted on November 28, 2010 at 4:01 am

I got so worried when I started reading this entry… luckily everything is fine. Have lots of rest and take good care of yourself! 😀

• beverly posted on November 28, 2010 at 10:46 am

I was very fortunate that it was all ok.. but it made me realise how easily you can fall when you’re pregnant, from something so minor! :X

• winterswitchery posted on November 27, 2010 at 8:13 pm

So close now!

• winterswitchery posted on November 27, 2010 at 8:14 pm

(passed out like dropped to the ground like a stone)

• beverly posted on November 28, 2010 at 9:58 am

Cripes that’s scary… I’m glad everything turned out ok!

• baby_charlotte posted on November 28, 2010 at 4:39 am

Sounds scary! Pls take good care! Glad to hear everything is fine. Just few more weeks to go!

• beverly posted on November 28, 2010 at 10:46 am

Gosh I’m so excited that it’s a few weeks left… can’t wait til the new year!!

• weelisa posted on November 27, 2010 at 8:46 pm

Ouch – that’s scary just to read – nevermind to actually see or go through.

Glad to hear you’re all right!

• beverly posted on November 28, 2010 at 10:19 am

Thanks hon 🙂 I’m glad all ok today.. whew

• babyflite posted on November 28, 2010 at 4:55 am

I missed your earlier tweet about it but omg! So glad that you are ok. *hugs*

• beverly posted on November 28, 2010 at 10:49 am

Thanks sweetie.. me too.. geez it was a bit crazy. Poor Chris, he had a bit of a heart attack too!

• la_periwinkle posted on November 28, 2010 at 6:47 am

I had a bad fall in my bathroom when I was preggy with my 1st girl. Now with the 2nd one coming along, I am being very careful too… I will be due in early Feb which is around chinese new year or perhaps earlier than that….

• beverly posted on November 28, 2010 at 10:51 am

Oh dear! I’m glad everything turned out ok for you. You’re due just a week or two after me , how cool 🙂

• oh_ayana posted on November 27, 2010 at 10:50 pm

omg, glad to know you and the little one are okay!

• beverly posted on November 28, 2010 at 10:20 am

Hehe I think he wants to come out already, he kicks so frantically!

• thefragrantelf posted on November 27, 2010 at 11:03 pm

SO glad you and bebe are okay, hon!!!

• beverly posted on November 28, 2010 at 10:25 am

It was a real scare.. but fortunately I think I didn’t fall too badly!
      The kicks are fun, but they do exhaust me cos he can do it constantly… gulp!

• nycarm posted on November 27, 2010 at 11:31 pm

Glad to hear you’re ok. That must have been quite a fright!

• beverly posted on November 28, 2010 at 10:37 am

• ichabunni posted on November 28, 2010 at 7:37 am

oh my goodness!!! thank god you’re okay!! and that sucks how everyone was too afraid to help you… i wouldn’t know what to do either, but i would at least help a little? 😡

• beverly posted on November 28, 2010 at 10:57 am

Yeah… I don’t think it was a China thing though, I think more like people were just so shocked and scared seeing me like that, they didn’t know what to do and couldnl’t react quickly enough!

• aqualuna posted on November 28, 2010 at 12:33 am

• beverly posted on November 28, 2010 at 10:38 am

• blissfultyrant posted on November 28, 2010 at 1:04 am

gosh, Thank God you and baby are alright. Pls take care of your ankle!

Have a rest, walk in a pool instead? helps to elevate some of the weight.

• beverly posted on November 28, 2010 at 10:39 am

My ankle’s sore but at least I can walk on it, whew…

• blissfultyrant posted on November 28, 2010 at 1:41 pm

• jzlyn posted on November 28, 2010 at 1:14 am

• beverly posted on November 28, 2010 at 10:40 am

Thank you hon… you be very careful with yourself too!

• specialagentldy posted on November 28, 2010 at 1:19 am

So glad you and the little one are okay! :-\

• beverly posted on November 28, 2010 at 10:42 am

Me too.. it was quite the shock! Glad I didn’t fall ON my belly or anything :X

• joannako posted on November 28, 2010 at 10:18 am

be careful!! my colleague slipped and fell and experienced some spotting, scared the hell out of all out us! doc ordered bed rest for a few days!

• beverly posted on November 28, 2010 at 10:58 am

Oh dear! I hope she was OK afterwards… so far nothing out of the ordinary for me.. whew…

• belladonna_fb posted on November 28, 2010 at 3:04 am

• beverly posted on November 28, 2010 at 10:42 am

• sydneyfoodie posted on November 28, 2010 at 11:22 am

Glad that you are OK. Take it easy. Not many weeks to go 🙂

• beverly posted on November 28, 2010 at 2:51 pm

about 7 weeks.. give or take 2 weeks I suppose. Hurray!!!

• littlemisskeira posted on November 28, 2010 at 4:01 am

• beverly posted on November 28, 2010 at 10:46 am

• baby_charlotte posted on November 28, 2010 at 4:39 am

• beverly posted on November 28, 2010 at 10:46 am

Gosh I’m so excited that it’s a few weeks left… can’t wait til the new year!!

• babyflite posted on November 28, 2010 at 4:55 am

I missed your earlier tweet about it but omg! So glad that you are ok. *hugs*

• beverly posted on November 28, 2010 at 10:49 am

• sepps2 posted on November 28, 2010 at 1:09 pm

I’m glad you and the little one are fine! got a shock when reading the first bit of your post.

anyway, have a good rest the next couple of days. just let everything, settle a lil. 🙂

take good care!!

• beverly posted on November 28, 2010 at 2:53 pm

Had a very boring day today sitting down, hehe.. and then a week of work so I suppose it’s basically enforced rest!

• emmakins888 posted on November 28, 2010 at 1:54 pm

Glad to hear your ok. Dont worry about neglecting the gym, you can go nuts after baby arrives!

• beverly posted on November 28, 2010 at 2:54 pm

Heh,that’s the time where I definitely can’t go to the gym anymore cos I’ll be totally tied up 😉

• tinytear23 posted on November 28, 2010 at 1:58 pm

So relieved to know everything was ok in the end!

As for why no one offered help, I guess the Nanjing Peng Yu case was also a reason. http://www.danwei.org/law/common_sense_decency_and_crowd.php

Very sad but in China people are just too afraid to help others now.

• beverly posted on November 28, 2010 at 2:57 pm

Yeah that is so sad huh 🙁 And foreigners are warned not to help any locals in trouble, cos there have been cases of well-meaning foreigners that help, and the local turns around and accuses the foreigner of hurting them instead to try and get money! Argh..

• la_periwinkle posted on November 28, 2010 at 6:47 am

• beverly posted on November 28, 2010 at 10:51 am

• babyrussell posted on November 28, 2010 at 3:05 pm

PLEASE take care of yourself!! And, a few more weeks to go!! Paradoxical – one terribly frightening incident juxtaposed with a terribly exciting one!!

• beverly posted on November 29, 2010 at 12:28 am

Heh yeah.. but I’m glad at least I fell “OK”, wasn’t a bad enough one to cause damage. Whew!

• dreamlaughlive posted on November 28, 2010 at 3:13 pm

So glad you and the baby are ok. Do take really good care and rest more!

• beverly posted on November 29, 2010 at 12:29 am

Me too.. WHEW… so relieved!!

• ichabunni posted on November 28, 2010 at 7:37 am

• beverly posted on November 28, 2010 at 10:57 am

• eveline7 posted on November 28, 2010 at 3:39 pm

Ouch !
    I got pretty scared when I read you had fallen !
    Thankfully, everyone is alright in the end.
    That’s really awful behavior of those people thought ! They sound really useless…
    Glad to hear the little boy is in good health ^^

• beverly posted on November 29, 2010 at 12:50 am

Thanks sweetie 🙂 Yeah people didn’t do a thing but I guess most were in shock!

• swrabbit posted on November 28, 2010 at 4:08 pm

hi Beverly,

i have been reading ur food blogs and enjoyed it. 🙂 sorry to hear tat u fell.. but glad all is fine. 🙂

cheers!

• beverly posted on November 29, 2010 at 12:41 pm

Thank you for visiting hon! And for your nice words 🙂

• oldron posted on November 28, 2010 at 4:16 pm

Glad everything is OK

Please be careful, the Wife and I are so glad that the baby and you are OK

• beverly posted on November 29, 2010 at 12:44 pm

Re: Glad everything is OK

Thanks Ron.. sore ankle but otherwise at least no sore belly!

• Anonymous posted on November 28, 2010 at 5:27 pm

Oh my, the first sentence of your post made my heart stop a beat. Please be careful, Bev! Do take care of yourself and the baby.

-WanShin-

• beverly posted on November 29, 2010 at 12:47 pm

Thanks hon.. taking it very slow now!

• joannako posted on November 28, 2010 at 10:18 am

• beverly posted on November 28, 2010 at 10:58 am

• ragdollstitches posted on November 28, 2010 at 7:06 pm

Glad that you’re okay, that sounds so scary!

• beverly posted on November 29, 2010 at 1:04 pm

i was so freaked out when I fell.. I think i freaked out the shoppers there more tho 😛

• sydneyfoodie posted on November 28, 2010 at 11:22 am

Glad that you are OK. Take it easy. Not many weeks to go 🙂

• beverly posted on November 28, 2010 at 2:51 pm

about 7 weeks.. give or take 2 weeks I suppose. Hurray!!!

• sepps2 posted on November 28, 2010 at 1:09 pm

take good care!!

• beverly posted on November 28, 2010 at 2:53 pm

• emmakins888 posted on November 28, 2010 at 1:54 pm

• beverly posted on November 28, 2010 at 2:54 pm

• tinytear23 posted on November 28, 2010 at 1:58 pm

So relieved to know everything was ok in the end!

Very sad but in China people are just too afraid to help others now.

• beverly posted on November 28, 2010 at 2:57 pm

• babyrussell posted on November 28, 2010 at 3:05 pm

• beverly posted on November 29, 2010 at 12:28 am

• dreamlaughlive posted on November 28, 2010 at 3:13 pm

So glad you and the baby are ok. Do take really good care and rest more!

• beverly posted on November 29, 2010 at 12:29 am

Me too.. WHEW… so relieved!!

• natnatviv posted on November 28, 2010 at 11:30 pm

omg, hope you are okie! 🙂 take care, darl!

• beverly posted on November 29, 2010 at 1:27 pm

I’m alright now.. resting lots tho 🙂

• eveline7 posted on November 28, 2010 at 3:39 pm

Ouch !
    I got pretty scared when I read you had fallen !
    Thankfully, everyone is alright in the end.
    Glad to hear the little boy is in good health ^^

• beverly posted on November 29, 2010 at 12:50 am

Thanks sweetie 🙂 Yeah people didn’t do a thing but I guess most were in shock!

• swrabbit posted on November 28, 2010 at 4:08 pm

hi Beverly,

cheers!

• beverly posted on November 29, 2010 at 12:41 pm

Thank you for visiting hon! And for your nice words 🙂

• oldron posted on November 28, 2010 at 4:16 pm

Glad everything is OK

Please be careful, the Wife and I are so glad that the baby and you are OK

• beverly posted on November 29, 2010 at 12:44 pm

Re: Glad everything is OK

Thanks Ron.. sore ankle but otherwise at least no sore belly!

• Anonymous posted on November 28, 2010 at 5:27 pm

-WanShin-

• beverly posted on November 29, 2010 at 12:47 pm

Thanks hon.. taking it very slow now!

• ragdollstitches posted on November 28, 2010 at 7:06 pm

Glad that you’re okay, that sounds so scary!

• beverly posted on November 29, 2010 at 1:04 pm

• natnatviv posted on November 28, 2010 at 11:30 pm

omg, hope you are okie! 🙂 take care, darl!

• beverly posted on November 29, 2010 at 1:27 pm

I’m alright now.. resting lots tho 🙂

• blairwitch posted on November 29, 2010 at 9:31 am

Oh no! I hope you are ok! Take care!! *hugs* It was scary reading about your fall, but I am glad the little man is fine 🙂

• beverly posted on November 29, 2010 at 1:31 pm

I think he is cos he’s kickin’ away.. whew!!

• catpuccino posted on November 29, 2010 at 10:30 am

I’m glad you’re OK!!!!

• beverly posted on November 29, 2010 at 1:33 pm

Man me too.. thanks hon 🙂

• blairwitch posted on November 29, 2010 at 9:31 am

• beverly posted on November 29, 2010 at 1:31 pm

I think he is cos he’s kickin’ away.. whew!!

• catpuccino posted on November 29, 2010 at 10:30 am

I’m glad you’re OK!!!!

• beverly posted on November 29, 2010 at 1:33 pm

Man me too.. thanks hon 🙂

• edibebe posted on November 30, 2010 at 7:56 am

I’m late to this entry. I’m glad you’re ok. Whew! But take good care and be extra careful from now on yeah? 🙂

• beverly posted on November 30, 2010 at 10:46 am

Thanks for your nice words.. ya, being more careful from now on for sure!

• dottybunny posted on November 30, 2010 at 8:33 am

Oh my! Glad that you and the baby are both fine!

• beverly posted on November 30, 2010 at 10:46 am

I know.. you and me both.. whew!!

• edibebe posted on November 30, 2010 at 7:56 am

• beverly posted on November 30, 2010 at 10:46 am

Thanks for your nice words.. ya, being more careful from now on for sure!

• dottybunny posted on November 30, 2010 at 8:33 am

Oh my! Glad that you and the baby are both fine!

• beverly posted on November 30, 2010 at 10:46 am

I know.. you and me both.. whew!!

• exhileration posted on December 1, 2010 at 12:52 am

Take care!!! Don’t want to read about any more tumbles ok??!

• beverly posted on December 1, 2010 at 3:16 pm

I heard it’s worse the later it is in your 3rd too, cos there’s less fluid to ‘cushion’ the baby, eek! So taking it very easy now..

• cenedrah posted on December 1, 2010 at 3:35 am

Didn’t see this until now but I’m so very glad that all worked out at the end and that both you and the baby boy are fine…that’s what’s important. Bless!

• beverly posted on December 1, 2010 at 3:28 pm

Thank you sweetie.. fortunately no contractions or anything, whew!

• exhileration posted on December 1, 2010 at 12:52 am

Take care!!! Don’t want to read about any more tumbles ok??!

• beverly posted on December 1, 2010 at 3:16 pm

• cenedrah posted on December 1, 2010 at 3:35 am

• beverly posted on December 1, 2010 at 3:28 pm

Thank you sweetie.. fortunately no contractions or anything, whew!

• glassextreme posted on December 1, 2010 at 1:02 pm

Hey, do take care.
    My colleague’s ankle gave way, and she had put on too much weight from her pregnancy, so when she fell, she couldn’t move at all. She had to be stretchered away by paramedics from the third floor.

Glad to hear you are ok.

• beverly posted on December 1, 2010 at 3:27 pm

Holy smokes that is SCARY! poor thing.. hope it all worked out alright for her..

• glassextreme posted on December 1, 2010 at 1:02 pm