Food reviews - Shanghai, Uncategorized YE SHANGHAI 22 October 2010

Ye Shanghai
Xintiandi North Block
181 Taicang Lu (???181?)
Shanghai, China

PRICE: ????
RATING:

Feeling a bit la-di-dah and in a “ladies who lunch” mood.. two of my girl friends and I decided to hit up Michelin-star Ye Shanghai for a civilized, dim sum lunch in their renovated “Shikumen” old-style house. They have a 98? special that includes all-you-can-eat dim sum (from an extensive menu) and free-flow choice of Chinese teas. Ye Shanghai has a lovely interior with high ceilings and making you feel like you’re back in (rich) old-Shanghai. They had a pretty full house when we were there on a weekend, presumably because people want to take advantage of the excellent deal. Despite this, we were impressed that they got all our orders right, everything came out swiftly, and they didn’t try and discourage us from our rampant ordering (drives me CRAZY when all-you-can-eat places dawdle when bringing out the food or pretend they forgot your order).

We really enjoyed the food. The quality was definitely there, unlike the sloppily made stuff you get at cheap HK dim sum joints. Beautifully presented on little plates, and we liked virtually every dish. I’ll individually speak to them below, of the photos I managed to capture 🙂

I was really impressed with their service, we had a young man who was very lovely and patient with us, and even joked around. Very un-Chinese service, considering we were in a Chinese restaurant! It was a very pleasant experience and I’m keen to go back.

BBQ pork pastries (dunno the name). Lovely and fluffy and not too overly sweet

The famous Shen Jian bao.. sooo good!

Spring onion pancake. Not as flaky as i’d expected, but a nice flavour

Minced chicken to stuff into those ‘pockets’. I really liked this, a sort of twist on
the usual sang chow bao.

Sweet and sour pork ribs. Only average, barely any meat and it was cold!

Crispy tofu skin with veggies. Uninteresting to me cos I don’t like tofu/veggies 😛

Scallop XO dumplings, and xiao long bao. Both good, so we got another round of ’em

Some sort of crispy fried thing with veggies inside. It was alright but nothing special

Sticky rice, this one was just fab! So moist and satisfying

Dan dan noodles. We loved the texture of the noodles, but it was waaaaay too spicy

Sticky sweet dumpling with black sesame filling, dusted with peanut powder.
Luscious! These lil babies were so easy to pop in our mouths

Fluffy egg white puffs with red bean and banana. Tasted too much like.. err.. egg whites.
Would’ve preferred 3x more of that filling

Coconut milk with sago and fruit. Lovely, light and refreshing. Just needed way
more sago and fruit.

Mango pudding. The pudding was similar to a creamy jelly, I really liked the mango bits though

Ladies who lunch 🙂

• weelisa posted on October 22, 2010 at 7:24 pm

Yanno, I’ve never had steamed buns but they do look so delish! I’d have to find a veggie one, though.

I’ve never found an expensive Chinese restaurant in Winnipeg (not that I’ve looked too hard, I suppose.) I do know that none of the cheaper ones offer steamed dishes (more time consuming?) – just super greasy fried dishes – yet I love, love, love steamed dumplings. I’m forced to make my own – bah.

Anyway, it all looks wonderful! I need to visit China.

• beverly posted on October 23, 2010 at 10:15 am

It’s common to have veggie steamed buns and dumplings, so you’d have no prob! You should come visit sometime, or even visit SG – cos they speak english there and the asian food is yum too 🙂

• starbucksweetie posted on October 22, 2010 at 11:13 pm

That dim sum looks amazing! Way better than the stuff they serve in Chinese restaurants in Edmonton.

• beverly posted on October 23, 2010 at 10:15 am

We were impressed with the quality of the food.. and really liked their service too!

• weelisa posted on October 22, 2010 at 7:24 pm

Anyway, it all looks wonderful! I need to visit China.

• beverly posted on October 23, 2010 at 10:15 am

• starbucksweetie posted on October 22, 2010 at 11:13 pm

• beverly posted on October 23, 2010 at 10:15 am

• pearlynt posted on October 23, 2010 at 12:40 pm

BBQ pork pastries is call Cha Shao Su.

Your post makes me crave for dim sum now.

• beverly posted on October 23, 2010 at 3:39 pm

I normally don’t have it in Shanghai but this place is super good.. mm

• cenedrah posted on October 23, 2010 at 2:49 pm

Luscious, luscious, luscious! For the minced chicken twist on san choy bao, were those buns fried?

• beverly posted on October 23, 2010 at 3:40 pm

They weren’t buns per se, they were more like these little bread pocket things!

• pearlynt posted on October 23, 2010 at 12:40 pm

BBQ pork pastries is call Cha Shao Su.

Your post makes me crave for dim sum now.

• beverly posted on October 23, 2010 at 3:39 pm

I normally don’t have it in Shanghai but this place is super good.. mm

• cenedrah posted on October 23, 2010 at 2:49 pm

• beverly posted on October 23, 2010 at 3:40 pm

They weren’t buns per se, they were more like these little bread pocket things!

• exhileration posted on October 26, 2010 at 2:25 am

Looks delice! I want to go back to Shanghai and try it 😀

• beverly posted on October 26, 2010 at 1:25 pm

Very impressed dim sum in Shanghai.. it’s one of my faves, easily 🙂

• exhileration posted on October 26, 2010 at 2:25 am

Looks delice! I want to go back to Shanghai and try it 😀

• beverly posted on October 26, 2010 at 1:25 pm

Very impressed dim sum in Shanghai.. it’s one of my faves, easily 🙂

• Anonymous posted on October 31, 2010 at 3:05 pm

This looks great! Do you know if they only do this Mon-Fri, or on weekends as well?

• beverly posted on November 1, 2010 at 2:08 am

i THINK it’s only weekends….

• Anonymous posted on October 31, 2010 at 3:05 pm

• beverly posted on November 1, 2010 at 2:08 am

i THINK it’s only weekends….