France, Uncategorized EUROTRIP: THE BEAUTIFUL LAVENDER FIELDS 1 September 2010

These, below, are my favourite photos of France. They’re in the Luberon region, South of France. Yes, we’re still on our road trip here 😛

We heard that the area is famous for their lavender fields, and we were there in summertime when the fields would be ablaze with these beautiful purple flowers. It was incredible, seeing all these fields of lavender as we were driving!

I never thought I liked lavender. Never liked the smell. But when it’s fresh lavender in the field? DIVINE!!!! The scent is strong yet subtle all at the same time, and doesn’t have that sharp/pungent odor that lavender-scented store products have.

It was quite a surreal experience seeing and being in those fields, in the South of France. I’ll always remember it 🙂

In our little car, road-tripping around the South of France

The gorgeous lavendar fields!!!

Me ferreting amongst the lavendar

Springs of wild lavender I picked and stuck in the airconditioning vents of our car

Pretty!

My friend, Mr Bumblebee

I’ve set the big version of this photo as my computer desktop background – love it 🙂

WAHEY!

Video of me traipsing around the lavendar fields
(colour is weird, and I’m being a bit of a goober – sorry!)

We also stumbled on the Lavender museum along the way, much to our delight. It looked like a small building, but housed an excellent and very informative museum that took us through the history of lavender making up to present-day. Was quite fascinating! We also learned that most lavender products we buy are “lavendin” flower, and not “fine lavender” flowers (which are way more expensive and more difficult to extract the pure lavender oil from). You can read more about the differences here.

We did end up buying a bunch of lavender stuff from the museum – it just smelled so lovely 🙂 And now, I’ll look at lavender-scented products in a completely different perspective!

We stumbled upon the Lavender museum!

Reading up on Lavendar news

After the (cool) museum, in the gift store

A sample lavendar flower press outside

There was a tourbus of Chinese tourists. Chris insisted on taking a pic 😉

Had yummy Lavendar Miel ice cream, famous in the region!

• starbucksweetie posted on September 1, 2010 at 1:39 am

Your pics of the lavendar are very pretty.

• beverly posted on September 1, 2010 at 4:28 am

The fields were just gorgeous

• rainingumbrella posted on September 1, 2010 at 1:40 am

I’ve been to a similar place in Japan! I think lavender ice cream tastes surprisingly yummy 😉

• beverly posted on September 1, 2010 at 4:30 am

Yeah I was surprised it was nice! And this one was lavender miel… even better :)~

• princesszhing posted on September 1, 2010 at 2:35 am

oooo my favorite scent ever! i think i might just die and go to heaven if i find a lavender field one day!

• beverly posted on September 1, 2010 at 4:30 am

OK you totally should go to the South of France then 😀

• claypot posted on September 1, 2010 at 7:47 am

LavenDER is my absolute favourite flower, smell, and the ice-cream is phenomenal. I imagine it’s even better with honey!

• beverly posted on September 1, 2010 at 9:57 am

I was surprised to see it in ice cream format but yeah, combined with honey, the flavour was awesome! Too bad I can’t find it anywhere else 🙁

• starbucksweetie posted on September 1, 2010 at 1:39 am

Your pics of the lavendar are very pretty.

• beverly posted on September 1, 2010 at 4:28 am

The fields were just gorgeous

• rainingumbrella posted on September 1, 2010 at 1:40 am

• beverly posted on September 1, 2010 at 4:30 am

• Anonymous posted on September 1, 2010 at 10:13 am

So nice! Love love love lavenders. Try Hokkaido in summer, Bev. The lavender fields there are gorgeous too 🙂

-Wan Shin-

• beverly posted on September 1, 2010 at 2:44 pm

We didn’t get a chance to go Hokkaido when we were in Japan, cos it was a bit far out, doh! I looove Japan in spring though 🙂

• princesszhing posted on September 1, 2010 at 2:35 am

• beverly posted on September 1, 2010 at 4:30 am

OK you totally should go to the South of France then 😀

• thefragrantelf posted on September 1, 2010 at 1:45 pm

Just beautiful. And the ice cream… yum, I think I had lavender and rose in France.

• beverly posted on September 1, 2010 at 3:04 pm

Ooo we didn’t see the rose, or I’d have loved that!

• claypot posted on September 1, 2010 at 7:47 am

• beverly posted on September 1, 2010 at 9:57 am

• Anonymous posted on September 1, 2010 at 4:12 pm

Hi there

Hihi,

Came across your blog on your France trip. I am heading there in Nov with my friend (2 gals), covering Paris and South France. Wonder if you can kindly share your itinerary with us for reference?

Cheers,
    LF =)

• beverly posted on September 2, 2010 at 5:44 am

Re: Hi there

Oh lovely, you guys will have fun! I don’t have an itinerary but basically my blog is chronological (oldest at the bottom) so if you work your way up, that’s the route we took. You can also search the restaurant names on Google for more reviews and addresses 🙂

• Anonymous posted on September 1, 2010 at 10:13 am

-Wan Shin-

• beverly posted on September 1, 2010 at 2:44 pm

• thefragrantelf posted on September 1, 2010 at 1:45 pm

• beverly posted on September 1, 2010 at 3:04 pm

Ooo we didn’t see the rose, or I’d have loved that!

• Anonymous posted on September 1, 2010 at 4:12 pm

Hi there

Hihi,

Cheers,
    LF =)

• beverly posted on September 2, 2010 at 5:44 am

Re: Hi there

• susyspeed posted on September 5, 2010 at 2:17 am

i went on a family trip to hokkaido and one of the attractions was the lavender fields there! totally didn’t care for lavender until i went there (& had ice cream too yummm)

• beverly posted on September 5, 2010 at 10:45 am

I never knew Hokkaido had lavender until you and others above mentioned it, that’d be so cool!

• susyspeed posted on September 5, 2010 at 2:17 am