France, Uncategorized EUROTRIP: ONE OF THE MOST STUNNING MEALS EVER 1 September 2010

Sometimes, I reckon Chris and I just have the this freakin’ random and AMAZING luck when it comes to hunting down food πŸ˜›

Because the French village of Sault is so small, we weren’t sure if the food there was any good and even if it was, we didn’t know which one was the best one. Yes, we don’t just go randomly eating at places – we plan it in advance so we know we’re going to the yummiest of places. Gotta get biggest bang for our stomach space and all!

We went to a little Tourist Information area and the lady pointed out a little restaurant that was listed as having 2 Michelin stars (!!!) so we immediately decided on that one. Getting there, though, was another matter. It was SO tucked away we were driving down little dirt tracks in the countryside, going “Errrmmm you SURE this is right?” to each other every minute or so. Finally, at the end of the winding, deserted, dirt road…. we saw a big opening and a few low brick buildings up ahead. It was like stepping into a another world.

Le Regain (Route de Saint Trinit, 84390 Sault) is its name and it offers spacious, peaceful, outstanding gastronomy above the Sault highland.

And, oh!, we thought we had walked straight into Heaven.

The restaurant looks like it was created in a home (it probably was), with a large central area and smaller rooms off to the side. The decor is warm and cozy, the service exceedingly polite and impeccable. But it”s the outdoor terrace that took our breath away. Facing Mont Ventoux, the scattered tables were set out for diners to enjoy the colourful sunset and enjoy the balmy mountain breeze. The surroundings are so tranquil, and scented with fresh lavender (from the fields). Looking down, there’s lavender and petit Γ©peautre creating a purple and gold patchwork through the valleys. It’s breathtaking.

We’re amazed to see that during the course of our meal, every table is filled with well-dressed, high-brow diners (we were the only ones casually dressed there), despite the restaurant being in such a remote area. Every diner was French, zero tourists, which convinced us we had stumbled upon a real local gem πŸ™‚

Interestingly, the menu changes daily, based on chef Yves Gattechaut’s creativity and the availability of fresh produce in the region. There is only ONE thing EVERY diner can order – degustation. Well! That certainly made us rather gleeful πŸ˜› “2 degustations, please!”, we said happily.

And so we proceeded to kick back, watch the setting sun on top of a French lavender-scented mountain, and served a stunning degustation meal. It truly felt like I was in a movie. The beauty of the surroundings, the amazing food, the gorgeous restaurant…. it was all quite surreal. We simply couldn’t believe our good fortune at having stumbled upon this treasure, and it was THIS meal that was the most memorable meal we had in all of France.

I wish I could’ve captured the scent, weather, and atmosphere of the place.. it was truly amazing. Kicking myself now for not having at least taken a video! Well, these photos will have to suffice….. πŸ™‚

If you are in France, and in particular the South of France, you must visit Le Regain. It’s the stuff of dreams and so beautiful it’ll leave you wanting to go back again. We certainly do!

The hidden Le Regain in the outskirts of the village of Sault in South of France

Looking like a cozy cottage on the inside

Enjoying a quiet dinner overlooking the mountains

A wonderful romantic dinner!

Assorted amuse bouche

Mise en Palais

Oeuf du jour cuit minute a l’infusion de dimant noir
Accompagne de creme d’epeautre escalope de foie gras poele chapeaute de prunes vertes au marc d’elegat

Filet de rouget cuit a l’unilateral pose sur une creme de petit pois au london

Paleron de veau roti au four puis cuit vapeur son jus de cuisson tomate et infusion de tilleul

Emulsion de fromage de chevre a l’huile d’olive vierge de monsieur ravaute

Faisselle aux fruits rouge ou a la farigoul

Douceur du val de sault

The beautiful sunset

Happy belly, happy baby πŸ™‚

• rainingumbrella posted on September 1, 2010 at 2:53 pm

πŸ™ Can you translate? It all LOOKS absolutely amazing but I don’t know what any of them mean. πŸ™

• beverly posted on September 2, 2010 at 6:03 am

Try Google Translate, should work a charm πŸ™‚

• loverly posted on September 1, 2010 at 3:38 pm

The pictures look unreal! The last one looks like it should be framed and hung in the bΓ©bΓ©’s room πŸ˜€

• beverly posted on September 2, 2010 at 6:04 am

Hehe the baby was kicking in pleasure after the meal, I guess it was well-received πŸ˜›

• equinox_han posted on September 1, 2010 at 4:55 pm

this was featured on Masterchef UK as one that cooked with loads of flowers and herbs of the region. It looked AAAAAAMMMMMMMAAAAZZZZZZIIINNNNNNNGGGG!

• beverly posted on September 2, 2010 at 6:06 am

Ooooo i didn’t know that.. how cool! And you have an awesome memory πŸ™‚

• rubytues posted on September 1, 2010 at 9:19 pm

I can see why this was the best meal you had there, this is what I expected to see in all of the pics. I don’t recognize almost anything you were served, it was clearly worth every penny it cost and a tragedy you didn’t get to go back and have a completely different meal there a second time. But there is always the future, and the baby can go in the future and be told it ate there before it was born. πŸ™‚ I am so glad you got to experience this, and I look forward to more details about the unrecognizable items.

• beverly posted on September 2, 2010 at 6:09 am

I loved the place because the ingredients as well as the dishes themselves were unique.. and of course, the lovely ambience. It was so lucky we stumbled upon this lil treasure, and yeah, if we’re back in France, we’d love to go there again as a family :

• rainingumbrella posted on September 1, 2010 at 2:53 pm

• beverly posted on September 2, 2010 at 6:03 am

Try Google Translate, should work a charm πŸ™‚

• loverly posted on September 1, 2010 at 3:38 pm

• beverly posted on September 2, 2010 at 6:04 am

• pebzz posted on September 2, 2010 at 12:25 am

Nice! This is one very lucky baby! Tasting all the yummy food before he/she is born.

• beverly posted on September 2, 2010 at 6:09 am

Heheh I think we are gonna have one GREEDY baby once it comes out πŸ˜‰

• equinox_han posted on September 1, 2010 at 4:55 pm

• beverly posted on September 2, 2010 at 6:06 am

Ooooo i didn’t know that.. how cool! And you have an awesome memory πŸ™‚

• starbucksweetie posted on September 2, 2010 at 1:54 am

Lovely! I love how the lighting from the sunset in your photos.

• beverly posted on September 2, 2010 at 6:28 am

We actually took about 10 photos of the gradual sunset but I decided not to spam people by posting all of em, but they were all so pretty!

• Anonymous posted on September 2, 2010 at 2:17 am

You should have stayed there for the night, Bev
    The wife of Yves Gattechaut is managing their Hostellerie du val de Sault (3 stars but check their suites and swimming pool overlooking the mountain, you will have regrets.. ^__^ http://www.valdesault.com/fr/index.php )

We southern french people say the Luberon is a magic mountain, and it is true
    When I was a kid, I even knew a “sourcier” from near Oppede-le-Vieux, a kind of sorcerer who searches for underground spring water with a forked wood branch

Ohh and if you are interested to know the origin of the name “Regain”…
    here is a link in english http://en.marcel-pagnol.com/film-regain-harvest,52.html

if you read more about pagnol, then you will understand Marseille and Provence people…
    I am waiting eagerly for the next stop of your fabulous trip ^__^

• beverly posted on September 2, 2010 at 6:41 am

We really wanted to say, but didn’t have any clothes or toiletries in the car at all! If we’d known earlier we would’ve come prepared and stayed for sure.. I bet it’d be just gorgeous there.
      next time you’re in the area you should try out the restaurant. It’s only 50 euro per person for the degustation, very very reasonable

• finding_tricia posted on September 2, 2010 at 4:56 am

you’re showing up very nicely! that pregnancy glow! haha. awesome food pics as always.

• beverly posted on September 2, 2010 at 6:41 am

I feel like I’m getting bigger by the day, lol!

• claypot posted on September 2, 2010 at 5:03 am

That faisselle farigoul looks amazing! Yum! And I like your top.

• beverly posted on September 2, 2010 at 6:44 am

I think just about every dish was new to me, which was what we loved πŸ™‚ And thank ya!

• rubytues posted on September 1, 2010 at 9:19 pm

• beverly posted on September 2, 2010 at 6:09 am

• pebzz posted on September 2, 2010 at 12:25 am

• beverly posted on September 2, 2010 at 6:09 am

Heheh I think we are gonna have one GREEDY baby once it comes out πŸ˜‰

• starbucksweetie posted on September 2, 2010 at 1:54 am

Lovely! I love how the lighting from the sunset in your photos.

• beverly posted on September 2, 2010 at 6:28 am

• Anonymous posted on September 2, 2010 at 2:17 am

You should have stayed there for the night, Bev

We southern french people say the Luberon is a magic mountain, and it is true

Ohh and if you are interested to know the origin of the name “Regain”…

I am waiting eagerly for the next stop of your fabulous trip ^__^

• beverly posted on September 2, 2010 at 6:41 am

• tiffanyx posted on September 2, 2010 at 11:35 am

you are a very pretty pregnant woman, dear! πŸ™‚

• beverly posted on September 2, 2010 at 1:57 pm

Aww thank you so much *grin*

• finding_tricia posted on September 2, 2010 at 4:56 am

• beverly posted on September 2, 2010 at 6:41 am

I feel like I’m getting bigger by the day, lol!

• claypot posted on September 2, 2010 at 5:03 am

That faisselle farigoul looks amazing! Yum! And I like your top.

• beverly posted on September 2, 2010 at 6:44 am

• tiffanyx posted on September 2, 2010 at 11:35 am

you are a very pretty pregnant woman, dear! πŸ™‚

• beverly posted on September 2, 2010 at 1:57 pm

Aww thank you so much *grin*

• thefragrantelf posted on September 6, 2010 at 11:53 pm

That meal looks so divine I don’t know where to start!

And gorgeous Mum-to-be pic of you πŸ™‚

• beverly posted on September 7, 2010 at 5:14 am

Aww thank you sweetie *blush*

• thefragrantelf posted on September 6, 2010 at 11:53 pm

That meal looks so divine I don’t know where to start!

And gorgeous Mum-to-be pic of you πŸ™‚