France, Uncategorized EUROTRIP: CASSIS 5 September 2010

Annoyed with our failure of a trip to Saint Tropez, Chris was adamant we go to the nearby seaside town of Cassis, which was one of the recommended must-go places by our French friends. Cassis is actually an ancient fishing port by the ocean, but was rebuilt on the old ruins in the 18th century, resulting in a more regular layout than most other medieval villages. However, there are still old buildings that you can see when you wander around the narrow alleys, and they’re beautiful. The harbour is the gem of Cassis. It’s set beautifully against the high white limestone cliffs and is relaxed, chilled and fairytale-like.. very different to the hustle and bustle of Marseilles. We really adored Cassis because of the atmosphere and the feeling of peacefulness and security there.

The beautiful town of Cassis

We were lucky that there was a little outdoor market whilst we were in Cassis. HURRAY for little markets!! *glee* So of course we poked around in there.. or rather, I did, whilst Chris videoed me 😉

Poking around in their outdoor markets

Chris video-ing me puttering around the markets, lol

Bought a cute little orange bracelet!

After pottering around the little alleys and nooks and crannies, we headed down to the Port. It’s formed in an arc, with cafes dotted all along it. It was so relaxing soaking in the sunset and wandering along the harbour, before settling into a random little cafe for some crepes. The crepes were nowhere near as good as the crepes we had in Paris, but still decent and at least it gave us a chance to sit out by the harbour and enjoy the views and people-watch.

Lots of narrow alleyways housing lil cafes and shops

Walkng down to the port area

The beautiful port of Cassis

I like this pic 🙂

Cassis port area

Street performers, they were GOOD

Video of the performers

Sitting down to enjoy the sunset and have a meal

CREPE TIME!

Vanilla milkshake + fries = awesome

• weelisa posted on September 4, 2010 at 5:11 pm

The pics are great but I’m really enjoying those videos – moar, moar! ;p

• beverly posted on September 5, 2010 at 9:39 am

We didn’t take that many, which is a bummer, they really do capture the atmosphere a lot better!

• joni_to0622 posted on September 4, 2010 at 7:12 pm

Fries and milkshake = heaven!! 🙂 hehe

• beverly posted on September 5, 2010 at 9:40 am

Haha SO TRUE… my favourite combination 😉

• renew posted on September 5, 2010 at 12:47 am

Your posts never fail to make me hungry!

*adds Cassis to giant list of places to go*

• beverly posted on September 5, 2010 at 9:42 am

Fully recommend Cassis.. it’s such a gorgeous little town 🙂

• weelisa posted on September 4, 2010 at 5:11 pm

The pics are great but I’m really enjoying those videos – moar, moar! ;p

• beverly posted on September 5, 2010 at 9:39 am

• ourownact posted on September 5, 2010 at 2:03 am

it’s so funny looking at all your food picts and there’s always some french fries present! 🙂

• beverly posted on September 5, 2010 at 9:51 am

I can’t help myself *grin*
      MUST HAVE FRENCH FRIES!!

• pingback_bot posted on September 5, 2010 at 2:43 am

EUROTRIP: CASSIS :: FOOD. FASHION. FERRETS.

User referenced to your post from EUROTRIP: CASSIS :: FOOD. FASHION. FERRETS. saying: […] http://beverly.livejournal.com/852895.html […]

• joni_to0622 posted on September 4, 2010 at 7:12 pm

Fries and milkshake = heaven!! 🙂 hehe

• beverly posted on September 5, 2010 at 9:40 am

Haha SO TRUE… my favourite combination 😉

• renew posted on September 5, 2010 at 12:47 am

Your posts never fail to make me hungry!

*adds Cassis to giant list of places to go*

• beverly posted on September 5, 2010 at 9:42 am

Fully recommend Cassis.. it’s such a gorgeous little town 🙂

• rainingumbrella posted on September 5, 2010 at 9:16 am

IT’S CREPE TIME. OH YEHHHHH.

• beverly posted on September 5, 2010 at 10:04 am

Such a bummer it wasn’t as good!

• ourownact posted on September 5, 2010 at 2:03 am

• beverly posted on September 5, 2010 at 9:51 am

I can’t help myself *grin*
      MUST HAVE FRENCH FRIES!!

• pingback_bot posted on September 5, 2010 at 2:43 am

EUROTRIP: CASSIS :: FOOD. FASHION. FERRETS.

• Anonymous posted on September 5, 2010 at 2:28 pm

Bev, the reason was cassis feels so nice and safe is because in summer, most of the residents are actually all the upper crust or Marseille Bourgeoisie
    In winter, it is a quiet little village (but it was just 15 mn ride by our huge motorcycles when I was studying in the marseille business school), but in summer, all the wealthy Marseille people go spend their vacations in Cassis

And the rose and white wine of cassis, with a grilled fish…Ohh Bonne Mere !! ^__*

• beverly posted on September 6, 2010 at 1:25 am

Ah no wonder! We thought the people were quiet and lovely and Cassis seemed like such a dream, hehe

• rainingumbrella posted on September 5, 2010 at 9:16 am

IT’S CREPE TIME. OH YEHHHHH.

• beverly posted on September 5, 2010 at 10:04 am

Such a bummer it wasn’t as good!

• Anonymous posted on September 5, 2010 at 2:28 pm

• beverly posted on September 6, 2010 at 1:25 am

• starbucksweetie posted on September 6, 2010 at 12:09 am

Very pretty pics!

• starbucksweetie posted on September 6, 2010 at 12:09 am

Very pretty pics!

• edibebe posted on September 6, 2010 at 10:36 am

I’m enjoying all of your France entries! I love France and your entries are stirring up my own memories. I had the chance to visit France a couple of times nearly 10 years ago and till this day, I wish I can go back once more.

I love Southern France too, btw. 🙂

Cassis looks so quaint and lovely!

Thanks so much for sharing these!! *muax*

• beverly posted on September 6, 2010 at 12:25 pm

France was just lovely and like you, we won’t go back for many years, so it was nice to visit whilst we could 🙂

• edibebe posted on September 6, 2010 at 10:36 am

I love Southern France too, btw. 🙂

Cassis looks so quaint and lovely!

Thanks so much for sharing these!! *muax*

• beverly posted on September 6, 2010 at 12:25 pm

• thefragrantelf posted on September 6, 2010 at 11:58 pm

LOVE a vanilla shake with fries!!! And sigh! Your France pics are making me want to go back BIG time.

• beverly posted on September 7, 2010 at 8:56 am