FOOD, France, Uncategorized EUROTRIP: LA NOUVELLE EPOQUE 17 August 2010

8 of us met up for dinner in Paris, in a very typical French bistro, La Nouvelle Epoque. So much so that no one working there spoke any English and the patrons are French. It was recommended by who in turn was recommended by , so I guess we can’t go wrong with that!

It’s a tiny little restaurant, very typical in France. Yet, they pack so much in a little space and it gives a lovely cozy vibe. We piled in and promptly ordered from their set menus. What I love about France is their set meals (“Le plat du jour”) which changes daily and usually at a very reasonable price. It’s a great concept – I reckon all countries should enforce all their restaurants to do this (I believe it’s the law in Paris?)!

Anyway, so here’s some of the dishes were ordered. No photos of people, I forgot, oops!! But I’m happy I captured what authentic French food is like.. a LOT more of that coming up, because we ate French for every. single. meal. Heh!

Oh, one cute thing that made me feel special 🙂 I ordered the Cuisse de canard confit juste rotie en persillade as my main, which comes with a side of salad. Salads are for boring people, so I asked if I could swap mine for….. FRIES! (I ate fries almost every single day in France, hehehehhe…. it’s my single mad craving) The lady said no, cos they don’t do fries. One of the guys said “But… she’s pregnant” and the lady smiled and said she’ll see what she could do.

When my dish came out, it had fresh cut fries on it!!!! The awesome chef had obviously cut up a potato and made fries and OH BOY THEY WERE GOOD. Fresh fries cut from potatoes really do taste different, I didn’t realise that. It had an almost sweet flavour, and were amazing dipped in mayonnaise. That, or the French really do french fries better.

La Nouvelle Epoque

Pretty water bottle. I LOVE how in France they give you water for free
without making you feel like a dirty stingy bastard!

My Poelon d’escargots au beurre d’ail.Dunno if pregnant women can eat snails, but I did anyways 😛

A salmon tartare.. oh man.. it looked good..

Goats cheese salad

FOIE GRAS!!!!!!!!!

More foie gras! A Croistillant au foie gras pomme confite et fromage de chevre

Piece de coeur de rumsteak echalotes, sel rouge et ciboulette

My Cuisse de canard confit juste rotie en persillade (duck leg). It was lusciously
tender, but way over-salted. The fries? INCREDIBLE.

• tiffanyx posted on August 16, 2010 at 11:28 pm

ahhh soooo sweet of the chef to do that!

• beverly posted on August 24, 2010 at 2:21 pm

I was quite delighted, heh. Who says the French are mean?!

• miss_foxy posted on August 17, 2010 at 1:46 am

oh my god. i’m so hungry looking at your photos. food looks amazing. i assume you went with people who spoke french? v lucky!!

• beverly posted on August 24, 2010 at 2:24 pm

Well, they spoke French more than we did anyway, lol!

• starbucksweetie posted on August 17, 2010 at 2:33 am

Ha, I love the “she’s pregnant” line

• beverly posted on August 24, 2010 at 2:25 pm

I was amazed that it actually worked 😉

• Anonymous posted on August 17, 2010 at 5:55 am

Years later the restaurant owner will be telling customers the famous story about how their best selling dish, duck confit with fries was accidentally invented way back in 2010 ….

• beverly posted on August 24, 2010 at 2:25 pm

LOLLLL It’s the only way to eat it! Who wants roast/boiled potatoes or salad when you can have freshly cut and cooked fries.. pfftt..

• joni_to0622 posted on August 17, 2010 at 7:23 am

It’s cool that you dare to eat snails. I tried it once in Paris, I don’t think I like them much.

• beverly posted on August 24, 2010 at 2:27 pm

We love ’em! I like the garlic herb oil that you can dip your bread in afterwards. Australia do ’em really well too… mmm…

• tiffanyx posted on August 16, 2010 at 11:28 pm

ahhh soooo sweet of the chef to do that!

• beverly posted on August 24, 2010 at 2:21 pm

I was quite delighted, heh. Who says the French are mean?!

• rainingumbrella posted on August 17, 2010 at 8:12 am

Hahaha the restaurant people are so cool! I love how one of the guys was like “But.. she’s pregnant!” Yes. Pregant people have priority, people! 😀 Paris seems like waaaaay too much fun right now. My first day of school is today and reading about this makes me jealous 🙁

Wei-Wei

• beverly posted on August 24, 2010 at 2:28 pm

Yeah, I was impressed it actually worked, haha!

• miss_foxy posted on August 17, 2010 at 1:46 am

• beverly posted on August 24, 2010 at 2:24 pm

Well, they spoke French more than we did anyway, lol!

• starbucksweetie posted on August 17, 2010 at 2:33 am

Ha, I love the “she’s pregnant” line

• beverly posted on August 24, 2010 at 2:25 pm

I was amazed that it actually worked 😉

• kare2711 posted on August 17, 2010 at 11:22 am

I want to try those fresh fries!!!

• beverly posted on August 24, 2010 at 2:31 pm

I was so surprised freshly cut fries from an actual potato (instead of the way McDonalds do ’em) is so different!! Now I want moooooore

• divad posted on August 17, 2010 at 12:29 pm

oh man….. I lurrrrrved food in Paris 🙁 you’re giving me food envy

• beverly posted on August 24, 2010 at 2:32 pm

We went a bit overboard with it all though.. I think we put on MANY kilos 😉

• Anonymous posted on August 17, 2010 at 5:55 am

• beverly posted on August 24, 2010 at 2:25 pm

• carorules posted on August 17, 2010 at 1:57 pm

Canard.. so yummy 😉

• beverly posted on August 24, 2010 at 2:33 pm

I ate SO much duck lol.. cos it was one of the few meats/dishes I could eat whilst pregnant!

• joni_to0622 posted on August 17, 2010 at 7:23 am

• beverly posted on August 24, 2010 at 2:27 pm

• rainingumbrella posted on August 17, 2010 at 8:12 am

Wei-Wei

• beverly posted on August 24, 2010 at 2:28 pm

Yeah, I was impressed it actually worked, haha!

• kare2711 posted on August 17, 2010 at 11:22 am

I want to try those fresh fries!!!

• beverly posted on August 24, 2010 at 2:31 pm

• divad posted on August 17, 2010 at 12:29 pm

oh man….. I lurrrrrved food in Paris 🙁 you’re giving me food envy

• beverly posted on August 24, 2010 at 2:32 pm

We went a bit overboard with it all though.. I think we put on MANY kilos 😉

• carorules posted on August 17, 2010 at 1:57 pm

Canard.. so yummy 😉

• beverly posted on August 24, 2010 at 2:33 pm

• exhileration posted on August 19, 2010 at 12:27 am

omg those escargots look sooooo good. I think it would be okay to eat for you? They’re not raw or anything like sushi.

• beverly posted on August 24, 2010 at 2:37 pm

Yeah we figured they’re REALLY cooked cos they arrive boiling hot, and France has better food hygiene than in China anyway, so fingers crossed!

• exhileration posted on August 19, 2010 at 12:27 am