FOOD, France, Uncategorized EUROTRIP: CREPE-TOWN!!! 24 August 2010

I heard of Crepetown in Paris.. or rather, I just named it that 😛 It was a little street lined with creperies that were very reasonably priced and famous because they serve up fast, delicious crepes. When we got there, however, we found that a few of the famous ones were “closed during August”, arghh! But fortunately, there were a whole bunch still open and packed with people.

We settled down at La Creperie Bretonne, which drew us in with their Brittany-style blue and white decor and bustling service. They’re a tiny little nook of a restaurant, with a little corner where they cook up the crepes. And boy, do they cook quickly! Our order came within a few minutes of ordering.. beautiful brown crepes arriving at our table with an intoxicating scent of melted cheese and butter wafting into our noses. Ahhhhh…..

And yes, the crepes really taste different in France! Partly because they’re made of buckwheat flour, and so have this beautiful flavour that I adore (I won’t bother eating ‘regular’ crepes again), and partly because they use their delicious French cheeses, hams and ingredients inside.

We enjoyed our crepes so much that we ended up ordering dessert crepes too, and ended up stuffed full of crepes by the end of the night 😉 My absolute favourite spread in the world is Nutella, in fact, I eat it right out of the jar in big spoonfuls, so I try not to start because I can’t stop myself when I open our jar at home. It was fantabulous here – creamy, chocolatey, smooth and rich. HEAVEN!

La Creperie Bretonne

Kir, an alcoholic cider

Tiny open kitchen, that made crepes at record speed

Our crepes came out all brown and smelling incredible, with a pat of butter on top

My crepe, which came with ham, cheese, and ratatouille. ZOMG it was awesome!!

Chris’ crepe, with ham, cheese, mushrooms and egg

Chris’ dessert crepe, a Crepe Suzette!

Mine – Nutella crepe with vanilla bean ice cream.. Delicious beyond description.

• rainingumbrella posted on August 24, 2010 at 8:16 am

That is the most delicious thing I have ever seen. Why didn’t you take a photo of Nutella-crepe-ice-cream-melty-gooey-awesomeness?!!??!

• beverly posted on August 25, 2010 at 7:37 am

I knoooow, I forgot, it smelled TOO good and I ended up eating it first and then finishing it before I remembered, hahah

• scramlam posted on August 24, 2010 at 10:54 am

man! the crepes look SUPER delish!

• beverly posted on August 25, 2010 at 9:28 am

I can’t believe I’ve been eating “crepes” for so long, yet they taste so different to these ones in France!

• starbucksweetie posted on August 24, 2010 at 11:34 am

I love dessert crepes. I became addicted to Nutella after my trip to Europe, I had never had it before.

• beverly posted on August 25, 2010 at 3:28 pm

Wow! I grew up on the stuff.. it tastes so good by itself or with just about anything 😉

• Anonymous posted on August 24, 2010 at 11:51 am

Thanks for posting this! I love crepes and I’ll be going to France in the fall so I definitely want to check this place out. Do you remember the name of the street?

• somnistra posted on August 24, 2010 at 12:27 pm

Mmm they look positively mouth-watering!

• beverly posted on August 25, 2010 at 3:42 pm

I want to bring the entire cafe back to Shanghai 😉

• oldron posted on August 24, 2010 at 12:44 pm

Hi You All From Texas

My, My, that looks so delicious!! Your photos are outstanding,thanks for sharing them.

• beverly posted on August 25, 2010 at 6:16 pm

Re: Hi You All From Texas

It’s been a great foodie trip around France, hehe

• thefragrantelf posted on August 24, 2010 at 1:09 pm

*faints*

• rainingumbrella posted on August 24, 2010 at 8:16 am

• beverly posted on August 25, 2010 at 7:37 am

• jesuisariel posted on August 24, 2010 at 4:27 pm

Yum! I wanna go there in Dec!

• scramlam posted on August 24, 2010 at 10:54 am

man! the crepes look SUPER delish!

• beverly posted on August 25, 2010 at 9:28 am

• starbucksweetie posted on August 24, 2010 at 11:34 am

• beverly posted on August 25, 2010 at 3:28 pm

• Anonymous posted on August 24, 2010 at 11:51 am

• somnistra posted on August 24, 2010 at 12:27 pm

Mmm they look positively mouth-watering!

• beverly posted on August 25, 2010 at 3:42 pm

I want to bring the entire cafe back to Shanghai 😉

• oldron posted on August 24, 2010 at 12:44 pm

Hi You All From Texas

• beverly posted on August 25, 2010 at 6:16 pm

Re: Hi You All From Texas

It’s been a great foodie trip around France, hehe

• thefragrantelf posted on August 24, 2010 at 1:09 pm

*faints*

• ragdollstitches posted on August 24, 2010 at 10:57 pm

I’m hungry for a crepe now! XD Your Paris trip sounds so lovely.

• jesuisariel posted on August 24, 2010 at 4:27 pm

Yum! I wanna go there in Dec!

• exhileration posted on August 25, 2010 at 2:36 am

omg looks AMAZING. The place looks really quaint! Do I spy Chris in the first photo at a table?

• beverly posted on August 25, 2010 at 6:20 pm

Haha yep that’s him!

• ragdollstitches posted on August 24, 2010 at 10:57 pm

I’m hungry for a crepe now! XD Your Paris trip sounds so lovely.

• beverly posted on August 25, 2010 at 7:39 am

Hehhe yeah at least it’s hard to tell if the belly is eating or baby… or both 😉

• Anonymous posted on August 25, 2010 at 9:53 am

agree, they do feel and taste different, were not able to find the right flour here to make them. And with salted butter, omg!
    I knew u wouldn’t miss Berthillon either, u ticked all the boxes hun!

• beverly posted on August 25, 2010 at 6:21 pm

In Shanghai we have a Breton cafe place that makes ’em the same, but sooo expensive argh. It’s the buckwheat flour that makes it taste so good I reckon, mmm

• exhileration posted on August 25, 2010 at 2:36 am

• beverly posted on August 25, 2010 at 6:20 pm

Haha yep that’s him!

• beverly posted on August 25, 2010 at 7:39 am

Hehhe yeah at least it’s hard to tell if the belly is eating or baby… or both 😉

• Anonymous posted on August 25, 2010 at 9:53 am

I knew u wouldn’t miss Berthillon either, u ticked all the boxes hun!

• beverly posted on August 25, 2010 at 6:21 pm

• djek31 posted on August 25, 2010 at 11:27 pm

Yum yum! Reminds me of portobello market in the summer and enjoying crepes while browsing the market. 🙂

• djek31 posted on August 25, 2010 at 11:27 pm

• pingback_bot posted on September 5, 2010 at 2:43 am

EUROTRIP: CASSIS :: FOOD. FASHION. FERRETS.

User referenced to your post from EUROTRIP: CASSIS :: FOOD. FASHION. FERRETS. saying: […] 852895.htmlRead this article on the community site Annoyed with our failure of a trip to Saint Tropez, Chris was adamant we go to the nearby seaside town of Cassis, which was one of the recommended must-go places by our French friends. Cassis is actually an ancient fishing port by the ocean, but was rebuilt on the old ruins in the 18th century, resulting in a more regular layout than most other medieval villages. However, there are still old buildings that you can see when you wander around the narrow alleys, and they’re beautiful. The harbour is the gem of Cassis. It’s set beautifully against the high white limestone cliffs and is relaxed, chilled and fairytale-like.. very different to the hustle and bustle of Marseilles. We really adored Cassis because of the atmosphere and the feeling of peacefulness and security there. The beautiful town of Cassis
    We were lucky that there was a little outdoor market whilst we were in Cassis. HURRAY for little markets!! *glee* So of course we poked around in there.. or rather, I did, whilst Chris videoed me 😉 Poking around in their outdoor markets
    Chris video-ing me puttering around the markets, lol
    Bought a cute little orange bracelet!
    After pottering around the little alleys and nooks and crannies, we headed down to the Port. It’s formed in an arc, with cafes dotted all along it. It was so relaxing soaking in the sunset and wandering along the harbour, before settling into a random little cafe for some crepes. The crepes were nowhere near as good as the crepes we had in Paris […]

• pingback_bot posted on September 5, 2010 at 2:43 am

EUROTRIP: CASSIS :: FOOD. FASHION. FERRETS.

Chris video-ing me puttering around the markets, lol
    Bought a cute little orange bracelet!