FOOD, My recipes, Uncategorized HOMEMADE MELTING MOMENTS WITH LEMON ICING 10 July 2010

Chris simply adores Melting Moments with Lemon Icing.. it’s right up there with his other favourite dessert, Custard Tea Cake. I’ve made that one many times before, but never Melting Moments… so I decided to bake some cookies one evening, much to his delight πŸ™‚

Let me just say that if you’ve had Melting Moments before, they are TOTALLY different when fresh out of the oven. Holy smokes they are GOOD when they’re freshly made!!! And another thing to note is that the ingredients are SO easy to find, and it’s SO simple and cheap to make… that I wonder why Melting Moments command the price they do at bakeries. I don’t think I’d be paying for those ever again, now that I know I can make them so easily πŸ˜‰

This batch below makes around 25 cookies. Use a big bowl if you don’t want to be covered in flour! And refrigerate any cookies (in an air-tight container) you don’t eat straightaway, so they can keep for up to a week. Also, these are more on the buttery shortcake side, instead of sugary sweet, so it will suit those that don’t like sugary desserts like a chocolate mud cake.

Give this a whirl! It’s not difficult, and will be a hit with your family and friends. Plus, they’ll be impressed that you can make “gourmet bakery” style goodies.. but only you and I know that it’s actually a cinch to make, right? πŸ˜›

Beat 300g plain flour, 300g room-temperature butter, 100g sifted icing sugar,
100g custard powder, pinch of salt and 1/2 tsp vanilla together in a bowl.
Beat until well-combined and pale. It will be a bit sticky.

Roll a bit of the mix into small balls and place on a baking tray. Use a (well-floured) fork
to press down on each one to form those little lines on top and to flatten.

Bake at 160 celcius (fan forced oven) for approx 12-15 mins until cooked. Let cool.

For the icing, combine 240g sifted icing sugar with 60g melted butter and bits of
lemon zest (ie. lemon rind finely grated)

Add lemon juice a bit at a time until the icing is smooth and creamy, like what icing should be

Spoon a small amount of lemon icing onto one biscuit and press down lightly
with another biscuit. VOILA!

Melting Moments with Lemon Icing

Insanely buttery and delicious :)~

Normal consumption = 4 biscuits in one sitting. Store the rest in the fridge πŸ™‚

Only a little true πŸ˜›

You Are an Idealist

You can’t help but dream big, and you resent anyone who tries to bring you back down to earth.
You are always optimistic and cheerful. You expect the best, even if things don’t turn out as planned.

You are caring and easy going. You are simply a great person to be around.
You have a lot of friends, and you’re very popular. And you’re even quite humble too!

• l_i_z posted on July 10, 2010 at 11:07 am

Mmmmmmmm they look good, I love Melting Moments! Totally going to make these tonight/tomorrow πŸ˜€

• beverly posted on July 10, 2010 at 11:51 am

I’m surprised they turned out so easy to make, and love how it makes a big batch so you have loads… hehe

• thefragrantelf posted on July 10, 2010 at 11:41 am

heaven!

• beverly posted on July 10, 2010 at 11:50 am

You should try making ’em, they’re a lot easier than your yummy caramel bite thingys πŸ™‚

• rainingumbrella posted on July 10, 2010 at 1:44 pm

Yummmm! I love buttery cookies. They’re absolutely amazing, and plus I love anything lemon. Great recipe!

Wei-Wei

• beverly posted on July 10, 2010 at 2:54 pm

Same here.. they’re a gorgeous combination of buttery and lemony :)~

• starbucksweetie posted on July 10, 2010 at 2:45 pm

Delish.

• beverly posted on July 10, 2010 at 2:54 pm

Thanks hon

• popcorn_feet posted on July 10, 2010 at 3:17 pm

What is custard powder? Is it like a pudding mix?

Tracy

• beverly posted on July 10, 2010 at 4:05 pm

It’s literally custard powder! A yellowish dry powder that you just buy in a box, like flour.. It’s usually in the baking section of the grocery store πŸ™‚

• tiffanyx posted on July 10, 2010 at 3:57 pm

simple enough! you know bev, im memory-ing all your bakings so that i can try them out one by one when ive got my own house with my own oven! uh thats like 2 years down the road! πŸ˜›

• beverly posted on July 10, 2010 at 4:06 pm

Why don’t you make em when you’re at home, and feed your parents too? hehee πŸ˜›

• tiffanyx posted on July 10, 2010 at 4:09 pm

no oven, and my mum doesnt like people to touch her kitchen. so we wisely keeps out of it.

• mizzalaneous posted on July 10, 2010 at 6:19 pm

Oh, I agree! I made balls of melting moments and rolled it with icing sugar for Hari Raya and they were a rave with our visitors! I haven’t seen one made like macaroons (icing in between two). I must try this one soon! Thanks!

• beverly posted on July 11, 2010 at 3:25 am

Oo I didn’t even know that existed for Hari Raya, how cool! maybe it’s similiar.. this one is French style though, I believe?

• mizzalaneous posted on July 11, 2010 at 5:21 pm

Nowadays we modern Malays like to infuse other styles with our usual *boring* goodies. We do meringue cookies too. Yum! Also, I read tt Melting Moments originated from Mexico? Aust n Scotland too. Lol. Maybe it originated from many different places, just a matter of who puts it on d net 1st. But this is like Macaroon-style, so maybe definitely French! =)

• l_i_z posted on July 10, 2010 at 11:07 am

• beverly posted on July 10, 2010 at 11:51 am

• thefragrantelf posted on July 10, 2010 at 11:41 am

heaven!

• beverly posted on July 10, 2010 at 11:50 am

• rainingumbrella posted on July 10, 2010 at 1:44 pm

Wei-Wei

• beverly posted on July 10, 2010 at 2:54 pm

Same here.. they’re a gorgeous combination of buttery and lemony :)~

• starbucksweetie posted on July 10, 2010 at 2:45 pm

Delish.

• beverly posted on July 10, 2010 at 2:54 pm

Thanks hon

• popcorn_feet posted on July 10, 2010 at 3:17 pm

What is custard powder? Is it like a pudding mix?

Tracy

• beverly posted on July 10, 2010 at 4:05 pm

• tiffanyx posted on July 10, 2010 at 3:57 pm

• beverly posted on July 10, 2010 at 4:06 pm

• tiffanyx posted on July 10, 2010 at 4:09 pm

• mizzalaneous posted on July 10, 2010 at 6:19 pm

• beverly posted on July 11, 2010 at 3:25 am

• mizzalaneous posted on July 11, 2010 at 5:21 pm

• azuredrifting posted on July 13, 2010 at 2:59 pm

oh bev, you always post such mouth watering recipes and pics! i especially love the baking ones. i better go back and find your baking recipes to try. this one’s great for someone I know who’s allergic to eggs.

• beverly posted on July 14, 2010 at 1:27 am

Oh true, that’s a good point! Hope they like it πŸ™‚

• azuredrifting posted on July 13, 2010 at 2:59 pm

• beverly posted on July 14, 2010 at 1:27 am

Oh true, that’s a good point! Hope they like it πŸ™‚

• whimsicalfairy posted on July 20, 2010 at 8:30 pm

This looks insanely easy!! I’m gonna try it today since I’m bringing desserts for a friend’s dinner party. Yea!!!

• beverly posted on July 21, 2010 at 7:28 am