San Jose, Uncategorized USA: THE GOOD PARTS 26 May 2010

Things I love about the USA.

Well, I should caveat this. It should be more like things I love about California.. specifically San Francisco and San Jose area.

1. The food. Cannot reiterate enough how much I love American food. It’s actually cheaper compared to Western food in Shanghai (which is extraordinarily expensive) and the range of cuisines are awesome – excellent Vietnamese, Japanese, Korean, Mexican, Peruvian, the list goes on and on. And of course, the American cuisine itself – bring on the luscious juicy burgers, fabulous pizzas, and decadent desserts!! I am also addicted to Southern Fried Chicken, one of the best things ever. And of course, Cinnabon, the love of my life. I would likely be the size of a house if I lived in the States, because it’s simply not physically possible to stop eating.

Fried prawns, garlic fries and rootbeer at Lori’s Diner
    in the airport before my flight back to Shanghai
  2. The shopping. Way way way way way cheaper than in China. Which surprises most people when I tell them. Of course, clothes are cheaper if you want the sloppily made, crap kind. But if you want high quality, and Western brand names, it’s eye-poppingly more expensive. That’s why you often see Chinese tourists going bonkers at Louis Vuitton, Chanel, etc when they’re overseas πŸ˜› Everything is so accessible in the USA, and it was a dream being able to actually purchase stuff I see in magazines, since it actually exists in the country. I simply ADORE Banana Republic! And virtually every store in every mall in the US. Thus I went a leeeetle psychotic buying stuff….. *ahem*…

SHOPPING!! It filled the whole bed and wouldn’t fit into my luggage… oops…
    It also took a massive chunk outta my bank account but it was WORTH IT πŸ™‚
  3. The courtesy. It was like reverse culture shock. I was surprised and delighted with how polite people are. If they cut in front of you, even if they’re not that close, they go “Excuse me!” like it’s the most natural thing to say. Absolutely ZERO shoving and certainly no spitting at my feet. No littering, always smiling, and constantly a “thank you” if I hold the door for them after I walk through. I’ve missed simple civilities so much it made me want to cry.

• starbucksweetie posted on May 26, 2010 at 4:22 am

That’s the some crazy shopping

• beverly posted on May 26, 2010 at 9:41 am

Yeah.. whoops!

• beverly posted on May 26, 2010 at 9:41 am

Yeah.. whoops!

• starbucksweetie posted on May 26, 2010 at 4:22 am

That’s the some crazy shopping

• tiffanyx posted on May 26, 2010 at 4:27 am

you totally went bonkers with the brands huh!

show us your loots!

• beverly posted on May 26, 2010 at 9:41 am

Too tempting πŸ˜› I can’t take pics of it all, no camera πŸ™

• tiffanyx posted on May 26, 2010 at 9:48 am

but your S90 is coming tomorrow yes?? πŸ˜‰

• tiffanyx posted on May 26, 2010 at 9:48 am

but your S90 is coming tomorrow yes?? πŸ˜‰

• beverly posted on May 26, 2010 at 9:41 am

Too tempting πŸ˜› I can’t take pics of it all, no camera πŸ™

• tiffanyx posted on May 26, 2010 at 4:27 am

you totally went bonkers with the brands huh!

show us your loots!

• Anonymous posted on May 26, 2010 at 5:03 am

Woah. That is some INSANE shopping right there! And I agree about the culture shock, haha. πŸ˜€

Wei-Wei

• beverly posted on May 26, 2010 at 9:41 am

The shopping helped ease the transition back into China πŸ˜›

• beverly posted on May 26, 2010 at 9:41 am

The shopping helped ease the transition back into China πŸ˜›

• Anonymous posted on May 26, 2010 at 5:03 am

Wei-Wei

• couturekitten posted on May 26, 2010 at 5:50 am

I must agree with you that our shopping and food is awesome, yes that’s why americans are fat… Cause we know how to eat! :p I cannot imagine you at the L.A. County Fair, I think you’d eat yourself into an ambulance. Haha

Awesome shoppin haul!

Next time you’re in So. Cali you must try The Grand Luxe (@ the beverly center) and Tommy Burger.

Also, have you ever been to Las Vegas? Think of Cali food and shoppin condensed into a couple miles.. It still boggles my mind!

• beverly posted on May 26, 2010 at 9:43 am

Heheh well I don’t blame em, the food is too good πŸ˜‰ I’ve never been to Vegas.. cos when I’m in the area I can’t seem to get out of LA cos there’s so much to do there!!

• beverly posted on May 26, 2010 at 9:43 am

• couturekitten posted on May 26, 2010 at 5:50 am

Awesome shoppin haul!

• agnesm posted on May 26, 2010 at 5:53 am

omg your shopping!!! hahha. i understand though… i usually bring an empty suitcase to the US so that i have enough room for everything πŸ˜›

• beverly posted on May 26, 2010 at 9:43 am

Haha you have a great idea, I totally shouldl’ve done that!!

• beverly posted on May 26, 2010 at 9:43 am

Haha you have a great idea, I totally shouldl’ve done that!!

• agnesm posted on May 26, 2010 at 5:53 am

• babyflite posted on May 26, 2010 at 6:20 am

Did you finally cave in to a Chanel bag? :p

• beverly posted on May 26, 2010 at 9:44 am

LOL yes πŸ˜› But not the 2.55… still can’t bring myself to like it!

• beverly posted on May 26, 2010 at 9:44 am

LOL yes πŸ˜› But not the 2.55… still can’t bring myself to like it!

• babyflite posted on May 26, 2010 at 6:20 am

Did you finally cave in to a Chanel bag? :p

• l_i_z posted on May 26, 2010 at 6:22 am

Oooooh what’s in the bags??

• beverly posted on May 26, 2010 at 9:44 am

A crapload of shopping.. haha!

• beverly posted on May 26, 2010 at 9:44 am

A crapload of shopping.. haha!

• l_i_z posted on May 26, 2010 at 6:22 am

Oooooh what’s in the bags??

• curlsjang posted on May 26, 2010 at 6:42 am

Totally agree how great it is to live in a civilized world. I was not very pleased when I first moved here – shocked at how high the taxes were but now I think it is so worthwhile because I can’t imagine living anywhere else. The shopping is truly fantastic and deals are everywhere if you know where to look. The food is definitely super yummy, I love southern fried chicken too!

• beverly posted on May 26, 2010 at 9:46 am

I’m so amazed the USA has such awesome bargains for food and shopping, way way better than in China!!

• beverly posted on May 26, 2010 at 9:46 am

• curlsjang posted on May 26, 2010 at 6:42 am

• littlemisskeira posted on May 26, 2010 at 8:38 am

I hope these hauls help to minimise the pain of losing your camera.

Now, can we please have a close up and zoom straight into that Chanel paper bag, pretty please?

• beverly posted on May 26, 2010 at 9:47 am

Heh it does help.. would prefer to have the loot AND the camera, though πŸ˜‰

No pics of the Chanel bag I bought.. cos no camera yet πŸ™

• beverly posted on May 26, 2010 at 9:47 am

Heh it does help.. would prefer to have the loot AND the camera, though πŸ˜‰

No pics of the Chanel bag I bought.. cos no camera yet πŸ™

• littlemisskeira posted on May 26, 2010 at 8:38 am

I hope these hauls help to minimise the pain of losing your camera.

• winterswitchery posted on May 26, 2010 at 11:01 am

lol I need to go to California then, because people were not that courteous back home where I lived in Michigan.

• beverly posted on May 26, 2010 at 2:45 pm

Actually funnily enough someone was explaining to me the differences in courtesy in US states.. and how CA people and NY people were polar opposites, haha! NY folk are more like Shanghai folk, apparently πŸ˜‰

• beverly posted on May 26, 2010 at 2:45 pm

• winterswitchery posted on May 26, 2010 at 11:01 am

• starbucksweetie posted on May 26, 2010 at 4:22 am

That’s the some crazy shopping

• beverly posted on May 26, 2010 at 9:41 am

Yeah.. whoops!

• tiffanyx posted on May 26, 2010 at 4:27 am

you totally went bonkers with the brands huh!

show us your loots!

• beverly posted on May 26, 2010 at 9:41 am

Too tempting πŸ˜› I can’t take pics of it all, no camera πŸ™

• tiffanyx posted on May 26, 2010 at 9:48 am

but your S90 is coming tomorrow yes?? πŸ˜‰

• Anonymous posted on May 26, 2010 at 5:03 am

Wei-Wei

• beverly posted on May 26, 2010 at 9:41 am

The shopping helped ease the transition back into China πŸ˜›

• 8balldecline posted on May 26, 2010 at 1:23 pm

i too was surprised with the courtesy and manners in the states. any time i said thank you to someone, they always responded with ‘you’re welcome!’ it’s such a little thing but it was nice.

i’d like to see what’s in all of these bags.. mostly the chanel bag!

• beverly posted on May 26, 2010 at 2:47 pm

All the small little niceties seriously are wonderful, esp when you don’t get it for awhile and suddenly experience it again!

Hehe I may blog a few but not all, a bit embarrassing.. and I only can when I get my new camera, doh!

• beverly posted on May 26, 2010 at 2:47 pm

• 8balldecline posted on May 26, 2010 at 1:23 pm

i’d like to see what’s in all of these bags.. mostly the chanel bag!

• couturekitten posted on May 26, 2010 at 5:50 am

Awesome shoppin haul!

• beverly posted on May 26, 2010 at 9:43 am

• agnesm posted on May 26, 2010 at 5:53 am

• beverly posted on May 26, 2010 at 9:43 am

Haha you have a great idea, I totally shouldl’ve done that!!

• carorules posted on May 26, 2010 at 2:12 pm

I agree with you about the clothes. I am from Canada but once or twice a year I go shop in the us and I can get brand for way cheaper than here!

Just wondering, when I comment on your journal I have to type a word form a pic (sort of an anti-spam thingy). Is it a setting you got or only because you didn’t add me as a friend?

• beverly posted on May 26, 2010 at 2:48 pm

Man Canada is awesome too and loads of stores ship there, you’re lucky!

Hmm no idea about that anti-span thing, but I just added ya back, so hopefully it goes away πŸ™‚

• carorules posted on May 26, 2010 at 6:53 pm

Yeah it’s nice that most US stores ship here.

Thanks for the add, we’ll see if it fixes the problem! πŸ˜‰

• carorules posted on May 26, 2010 at 6:53 pm

Yeah it’s nice that most US stores ship here.

Thanks for the add, we’ll see if it fixes the problem! πŸ˜‰

• beverly posted on May 26, 2010 at 2:48 pm

Man Canada is awesome too and loads of stores ship there, you’re lucky!

• carorules posted on May 26, 2010 at 2:12 pm

• babyflite posted on May 26, 2010 at 6:20 am

Did you finally cave in to a Chanel bag? :p

• beverly posted on May 26, 2010 at 9:44 am

LOL yes πŸ˜› But not the 2.55… still can’t bring myself to like it!

• l_i_z posted on May 26, 2010 at 6:22 am

Oooooh what’s in the bags??

• beverly posted on May 26, 2010 at 9:44 am

A crapload of shopping.. haha!

• curlsjang posted on May 26, 2010 at 6:42 am

• beverly posted on May 26, 2010 at 9:46 am

• am_klutz posted on May 26, 2010 at 2:56 pm

I LOVE shopping in the States too πŸ˜€ Don’t worry – I shop a lot too each time and multiply that by a few trips a year :p
    Food wise, mmm, I don’t know. I lose weight each time I go to the States. Perhaps I get too busy and land up not eating a lot! But in any case, I LOVE the States. Guess I’m biased too πŸ˜›

• beverly posted on May 27, 2010 at 12:12 am

It’s the best country in the world for shopping imho πŸ˜‰

I don’t understand how you lose weight. With the COPIOUS amounts of food and ZERO exercise, it’s kinda a shoe-in for me πŸ˜‰

• beverly posted on May 27, 2010 at 12:12 am

It’s the best country in the world for shopping imho πŸ˜‰

• am_klutz posted on May 26, 2010 at 2:56 pm

• littlemisskeira posted on May 26, 2010 at 8:38 am

I hope these hauls help to minimise the pain of losing your camera.

• beverly posted on May 26, 2010 at 9:47 am

Heh it does help.. would prefer to have the loot AND the camera, though πŸ˜‰

No pics of the Chanel bag I bought.. cos no camera yet πŸ™

• winterswitchery posted on May 26, 2010 at 11:01 am

• beverly posted on May 26, 2010 at 2:45 pm

• 8balldecline posted on May 26, 2010 at 1:23 pm

i’d like to see what’s in all of these bags.. mostly the chanel bag!

• beverly posted on May 26, 2010 at 2:47 pm

• carorules posted on May 26, 2010 at 2:12 pm

• beverly posted on May 26, 2010 at 2:48 pm

Man Canada is awesome too and loads of stores ship there, you’re lucky!

• carorules posted on May 26, 2010 at 6:53 pm

Yeah it’s nice that most US stores ship here.

Thanks for the add, we’ll see if it fixes the problem! πŸ˜‰

• am_klutz posted on May 26, 2010 at 2:56 pm

• beverly posted on May 27, 2010 at 12:12 am

It’s the best country in the world for shopping imho πŸ˜‰

• pebzz posted on May 27, 2010 at 12:20 am

Awesome loot! The Man just came back from SFO too but no time to shop! Boo! I couldn’t go though…and so I’m going next trip!! wahahaha! He says I will shop myself silly and not wanna come back… we’ll see..

• beverly posted on May 27, 2010 at 5:14 am

Oh boo on the no shopping but woohoo that you’re going soon, i’m envious!!

• beverly posted on May 27, 2010 at 5:14 am

Oh boo on the no shopping but woohoo that you’re going soon, i’m envious!!

• pebzz posted on May 27, 2010 at 12:20 am

• sisqa posted on May 27, 2010 at 3:17 am

Bev, I totally know what you mean about the reverse culture shock! I think I almost wept when I went back home to Aus & hear people do say thank you and excuse me etc.

• beverly posted on May 27, 2010 at 5:15 am

Ahhhh Aussies are awesome too, always so polite and friendly πŸ™‚ I really miss that too!

• beverly posted on May 27, 2010 at 5:15 am

• sisqa posted on May 27, 2010 at 3:17 am

• farahdean posted on May 27, 2010 at 4:58 am

Let’s see what in those shopping bags when you get a new cam. πŸ™‚

• beverly posted on May 27, 2010 at 5:16 am

Hehe I’m going to go bananas taking photos of everything i think πŸ˜›

• beverly posted on May 27, 2010 at 5:16 am

Hehe I’m going to go bananas taking photos of everything i think πŸ˜›

• farahdean posted on May 27, 2010 at 4:58 am

Let’s see what in those shopping bags when you get a new cam. πŸ™‚

• pebzz posted on May 27, 2010 at 12:20 am

• beverly posted on May 27, 2010 at 5:14 am

Oh boo on the no shopping but woohoo that you’re going soon, i’m envious!!

• sisqa posted on May 27, 2010 at 3:17 am