HOLIDAYS, Japan, Uncategorized JAPAN: SOME THOUGHTS.. 21 February 2010

Japan was incredible.

Honestly, the Japanese are superior in every way. Don’t mean to sound fanatical, but it’s the best way I can describe it. It’s been YEARS since I’ve last been to Japan, so I’d forgotten just how amazing the country and people was. But a week there and it all came rushing back and I fell in love with the place all over again.

The air is clean, the streets are spit-free and not dusty, the shopping is unbelievable, the food is outstanding, and the people…. how I admire the Japanese! Not only do they do things well and meticulously, they are just flat-out nice. Polite, friendly, helpful and courteous. It was a massive shock coming from China, and even the Australians (known for being easy-going and friendly) don’t hold a candle to the Japanese. They’re just so lovely and super-evolved, it’s very very very rare to come across a Japanese that’s anything but ultra sweet and polite. NO shoving either, a small bump sends them into a flurry of apologies. People actually QUEUE to get onto the train, instead of pushing/elbowing me so they can get on first. It was such a dream.

We flew in at night, and checked into the hotel straight-way. We stayed at the cheap Toyoko Inn, which has hundreds of hotels all over Japan. They are small, cheap, and INCREDIBLY clean and neat. Like a person with severe OCD cleans the place 😉 Everything is placed in perfect order, everything is spick and span, everything is precise. I loved it 🙂

Anyway, some random photos below taken during the week. I took a few hundred photos so trawling through them all so I can blog it all properly. Ummm let’s just say it’s mostly food-related – we just ate our way through Japan, basically 😛

Our compact hotel room

Mini, ultra-super-clean bathroom

Awesome Japanese strawberries and mini oranges (that you eat whole)

Nom nom nom!

Dropped our bags and stepped out to check out the night life

Japanese breakfast = awesome

Miso soup, Japanese yoghurt, crust-less sandwiches, rice ball, salad…
all for breakfast! Ohhhh I could eat this every day… mmm..

My super-messy cut cheese on toast VS Chris’ ultra neat version… LOL!

The insane Tokyo train system. And that was just one of the systems, there’s more!

Walking around the streets of Toyko. A cramped coffee stall

Selling fake plastic food, that really really looked like the real thing!

Dad, dog, cow, Chris. There’s nothing else to say.

At the Asakusa Markets

The guy turned a dark brown liquid into…. a crispy puff! It was like MAGIC.

Was basically just brown sugar though. Soooo sweet I nearly gagged.

Beautiful Japanese girl!!

ROFL

• starbucksweetie posted on February 21, 2010 at 3:30 pm

Looks fun. Can’t wait to see the rest of the pics.

• beverly posted on February 22, 2010 at 3:14 am

There are hundreds, i went a little snap happy, haha

• Anonymous posted on February 21, 2010 at 3:45 pm

That green-haired thing’s got much bigger tits than it’s blonde counterpart! Gotta love Japan just for their sense of humor!
    ~skyline5k (no openid, no livejournal, no ID I guess.)

• beverly posted on February 22, 2010 at 3:15 am

Hhahah so true – depressing 😉

• missustay posted on February 21, 2010 at 3:46 pm

i LOVE japan for their cleanliness and how polite and helpful their people are!! and of course, their ramen found anywhere is so gooood, you can’t find it elsewhere. ok, maybe just can’t find it here in singapore!

• beverly posted on February 22, 2010 at 3:15 am

Yeah they are just AWESOME people! I am in love with em 😛

• Anonymous posted on February 21, 2010 at 6:05 pm

Envy!

Oh golly, I miss Japan! I went for two weeks a few years back and fell in LOVE with the food and how friendly and polite everyonewas (still remember being gobsmacked that the McDonalds workers actually, you know, smiled..! Though must point out it was my brother who foisted a Macca’s breakfast on us. I was all about the convenience store pastries and onigiri. Cannot WAIT for your food posts! Squee!!

-Hannah

• beverly posted on February 22, 2010 at 3:21 am

Re: Envy!

I adore Japan.. and yeah, everyone is so happy and delightful, it’s quite incredible! I think a lot of Shanghai people need to take a tip from these guys….

• ragdollstitches posted on February 21, 2010 at 6:46 pm

Japan sounds so lovely!

• beverly posted on February 22, 2010 at 3:27 am

It is just super awesome 🙂 YOu should go there for a visit, you’ll looove it

• ragdollstitches posted on February 22, 2010 at 8:53 pm

I definitely plan on it, and am more excited now. 😀

• crimson_seven posted on February 21, 2010 at 7:14 pm

So awesome! I’m learning Japanese now and hope to do a foreign exchange there in Fall of 2011. You’ve made me even more excited!

• beverly posted on February 22, 2010 at 3:55 am

WOW good on you.. that is so impressive and you are SO LUCKY to go there next year, I am beyond envious!! 🙂

• rollagirl9 posted on February 21, 2010 at 10:22 pm

Glad you had an awesome trip. I loved Japan too, I can’t wait to go back.

• beverly posted on February 22, 2010 at 4:11 am

I wanna go back already! Wish I lived there….

• starbucksweetie posted on February 21, 2010 at 3:30 pm

Looks fun. Can’t wait to see the rest of the pics.

• beverly posted on February 22, 2010 at 3:14 am

There are hundreds, i went a little snap happy, haha

• Anonymous posted on February 21, 2010 at 3:45 pm

~skyline5k (no openid, no livejournal, no ID I guess.)

• beverly posted on February 22, 2010 at 3:15 am

Hhahah so true – depressing 😉

• missustay posted on February 21, 2010 at 3:46 pm

• beverly posted on February 22, 2010 at 3:15 am

Yeah they are just AWESOME people! I am in love with em 😛

• islegrl posted on February 22, 2010 at 12:32 am

I just got back from Japan too. It was awesome as always. I’m glad you had fun there! Can’t wait to see the rest of your pics! ^____^

• beverly posted on February 22, 2010 at 4:13 am

SO many people were in Japan recently.. I know about 6 people so far including you. It’s just awesome, really want to go again 🙂 Your jap food pics are making me hungry!

• Anonymous posted on February 21, 2010 at 6:05 pm

Envy!

-Hannah

• beverly posted on February 22, 2010 at 3:21 am

Re: Envy!

• ragdollstitches posted on February 21, 2010 at 6:46 pm

Japan sounds so lovely!

• beverly posted on February 22, 2010 at 3:27 am

It is just super awesome 🙂 YOu should go there for a visit, you’ll looove it

• ragdollstitches posted on February 22, 2010 at 8:53 pm

I definitely plan on it, and am more excited now. 😀

• crimson_seven posted on February 21, 2010 at 7:14 pm

• beverly posted on February 22, 2010 at 3:55 am

• j0s1e267 posted on February 22, 2010 at 3:33 am

Wow! Do post more pics!!! I miss Japan! It looks like you had an AWESOME time!

• beverly posted on February 22, 2010 at 4:14 am

It’s my #1 place right now.. I so wish we lived there 😛 love everything about it!

• aqualuna posted on February 22, 2010 at 5:21 am

Ohhh I LOVE LOVE LOVE Japan too! I used to live there for 1.5 years (AGES ago though!) and it was such an awesome experience! Great country, lovely people, and incredibly advanced and creative when it comes to technology and innovation!

• beverly posted on February 22, 2010 at 10:34 am

Ohhh you’re lucky to have lived there, I am totally envious! Mustve been so amazing 🙂

• rollagirl9 posted on February 21, 2010 at 10:22 pm

Glad you had an awesome trip. I loved Japan too, I can’t wait to go back.

• beverly posted on February 22, 2010 at 4:11 am

I wanna go back already! Wish I lived there….

• moxielass posted on February 22, 2010 at 7:07 am

we are planning a trip to japan in late apr or may with alex! =) this is such a timely post. can you pls share the contacts of the hotel inn that you were staying at? =D

• beverly posted on February 22, 2010 at 10:35 am

Ooo nice! It’s http://toyoko-inn.com/ – get the one with the double bed for sure. It’s really cheap, and super neat and clean, we loved it!! And TONS all over japan

• islegrl posted on February 22, 2010 at 12:32 am

• beverly posted on February 22, 2010 at 4:13 am

• j0s1e267 posted on February 22, 2010 at 3:33 am

Wow! Do post more pics!!! I miss Japan! It looks like you had an AWESOME time!

• beverly posted on February 22, 2010 at 4:14 am

• divad posted on February 22, 2010 at 12:08 pm

hey, what camera are you using to take these? I’m just asking coz I think there are shots where there’s noticeable perspective distortion – kinda like if you were using a wide-angle…. like those sandwich pics for instance (see that circular water container which isn’t quite circular?)

I get that at between 11-16 mils, you using an SLR by any chance?

• beverly posted on February 22, 2010 at 1:05 pm

Same one, Lumix LX3 🙂

• divad posted on February 23, 2010 at 7:19 am

oh yeh… I should have got a Lumix instead of my Ixus 🙁 But at the time I was like Panasonic pfft.. don’t they make batteries or something? well, apparently they make nice cameras too =)

• aqualuna posted on February 22, 2010 at 5:21 am

• beverly posted on February 22, 2010 at 10:34 am

• moxielass posted on February 22, 2010 at 7:07 am

• beverly posted on February 22, 2010 at 10:35 am

• divad posted on February 22, 2010 at 12:08 pm

I get that at between 11-16 mils, you using an SLR by any chance?

• beverly posted on February 22, 2010 at 1:05 pm

Same one, Lumix LX3 🙂

• divad posted on February 23, 2010 at 7:19 am

• koffiekitten posted on February 23, 2010 at 7:45 pm

Wow great pics as usual, I just love reading your blog and what you’ve both been up to!

• beverly posted on February 24, 2010 at 2:31 am