HOLIDAYS, Japan, Uncategorized JAPAN: SEEING THE HARAJUKU GIRLS 23 February 2010

Ahhh the wild and wonderful streets of Harajuku.

Of course, it’s now famous in the Western world, mostly thanks to Gwen Stefani and her famous “Harajuku girls” and style. But Harajuku was the epicentre of crazy Japanese fashion and shennanigans long before she brought it to light. It’s an explosion of creativity and all-round bizzareness. You get goth lolitas walking the streets, little bo peep characters prancing around, and a whole assortment of weird and wonderful outfits.

And it’s all considered perfectly NORMAL! If any of them were in Shanghai, traffic would stop from people staring 😉 I like Harajuku though – it’s a cute little area with so much to see, and it was a lot of fun poking around in all the little stores. I could spend hours there.

After that, it was off to Ginza for a quick walkaround. It’s basically a large, main street filled with high-fashion stores like Louis Vuitton, Chanel, etc etc. Heavenly 🙂 And they also have an adorable store, Kiddy Land that Chris and I thoroughly enjoyed – possibly because we have a mental age half of our actual age 😛 It’s 6 floors (or is it 7?) of toys, toys and more toys. Stuff from Lego and Transformers, to Hello Kitty and Care Bears. Everything’s totally adorable and when we have kids, I am SO bringing them there so I can play with everything in wild abandon 😛

Japan’s an absolute shopping paradise!

Harajuku

The wild and wonderful streets of Harajuku

In the cockpit of a “plane”, which was actually a little shop

Costumes of every kind – from the cute, to the kinky

KIDDY LAND!!!

Fascinated with the little plastic dancing toys

A whole wall of (freakin’ adorable) socks

6 levels of ultra cuteness

Hello Kitty cakes selling outside!

Freshly baked with various fillings inside

Little girl with a perfect face, perfect hair, perfect clothes. OMG I WANT HER!

• starbucksweetie posted on February 23, 2010 at 4:16 am

Ha, that little girl is better dressed than I am most days. Really cute. Do you think it’s weird that you took a picture of someone else’s kid?

• beverly posted on February 23, 2010 at 11:53 am

She was just awesome. And nah, her and her dad didn’t mind at all!

• islegrl posted on February 23, 2010 at 4:41 am

I love Kiddyland in Harajuku! Funnnnn! Their restrooms are cute, too. Haha! 😛

I’m not sure if you got to check out Aoyama, right next to Harajuku but they have a lot of cool shopping and cafes there too. There are sooo many places to see in Japan but I’m sure you’ll be back there again soon! ^___^

• beverly posted on February 23, 2010 at 12:05 pm

Weird I went to the bathroom but it was just like any regular one!

Ahh i don’t think we checked out Aoyama… dohhhh

• j0s1e267 posted on February 23, 2010 at 5:16 am

I LOVE Kiddyland too! It is a must stop for me everytime I am in Tokyo! I can spend hours there, hehehehehehe!

• beverly posted on February 23, 2010 at 12:16 pm

Heheh we were so happy there! I looved the Care Bears stuff 😛

• ameelia posted on February 23, 2010 at 5:39 am

I LOVED being at kiddyland too!! spent ages there. amazing place.

• beverly posted on February 23, 2010 at 12:28 pm

Awesome way to regress back into childhood-ness, heheh

• samantha_evons posted on February 23, 2010 at 7:58 am

never been to japan and definitely want to go there one of these days! Kiddyland seems like a place i can spend all my money on. Heh heh

• beverly posted on February 23, 2010 at 12:44 pm

Ooo you so should, I reckon you’ll love it 🙂

• starbucksweetie posted on February 23, 2010 at 4:16 am

• beverly posted on February 23, 2010 at 11:53 am

She was just awesome. And nah, her and her dad didn’t mind at all!

• quirk posted on February 23, 2010 at 12:26 pm

love ur trench! where’s it from? i’m going japan next month for the sakuras, can’t wait after seeing ur pics! did you go on a sunday to see ppl in cosplay?

• beverly posted on February 23, 2010 at 12:50 pm

Olive des Olive, a shop in Shanghai, but I THINK they’re a japanese brand 🙂

Ooo lucky you’re going to Japan, it’ll be gorgeous then!

• islegrl posted on February 23, 2010 at 4:41 am

I love Kiddyland in Harajuku! Funnnnn! Their restrooms are cute, too. Haha! 😛

• beverly posted on February 23, 2010 at 12:05 pm

Weird I went to the bathroom but it was just like any regular one!

Ahh i don’t think we checked out Aoyama… dohhhh

• j0s1e267 posted on February 23, 2010 at 5:16 am

• beverly posted on February 23, 2010 at 12:16 pm

Heheh we were so happy there! I looved the Care Bears stuff 😛

• ameelia posted on February 23, 2010 at 5:39 am

I LOVED being at kiddyland too!! spent ages there. amazing place.

• beverly posted on February 23, 2010 at 12:28 pm

Awesome way to regress back into childhood-ness, heheh

• samantha_evons posted on February 23, 2010 at 7:58 am

• beverly posted on February 23, 2010 at 12:44 pm

Ooo you so should, I reckon you’ll love it 🙂

• quirk posted on February 23, 2010 at 12:26 pm

• beverly posted on February 23, 2010 at 12:50 pm

Olive des Olive, a shop in Shanghai, but I THINK they’re a japanese brand 🙂

Ooo lucky you’re going to Japan, it’ll be gorgeous then!

• cenedrah posted on February 24, 2010 at 3:12 am

Wow that kid is inspirational for my own fashion sense! Never thought I’d say that about a child hahaha!

• beverly posted on February 24, 2010 at 5:48 am

ROFL I’m with ya… my fashion sense is nowhere near as awesome as hers 😛

• berlinlee posted on February 24, 2010 at 3:59 am

that hello kitty cake ultra CUTe!!!!!

• beverly posted on February 24, 2010 at 5:48 am

Was pretty yummy too hehe. I liked the custard one!

• alongcameaspydr posted on February 24, 2010 at 5:16 am

OMGOSH the little girl has the sweetest most proper outfit, EVER! I love her.

• beverly posted on February 24, 2010 at 5:49 am

I knooow , mad props to her parents. she was BEAUTIFUl too!

• cenedrah posted on February 24, 2010 at 3:12 am

• beverly posted on February 24, 2010 at 5:48 am

ROFL I’m with ya… my fashion sense is nowhere near as awesome as hers 😛

• berlinlee posted on February 24, 2010 at 3:59 am

that hello kitty cake ultra CUTe!!!!!

• beverly posted on February 24, 2010 at 5:48 am

Was pretty yummy too hehe. I liked the custard one!

• alongcameaspydr posted on February 24, 2010 at 5:16 am

OMGOSH the little girl has the sweetest most proper outfit, EVER! I love her.

• beverly posted on February 24, 2010 at 5:49 am

I knooow , mad props to her parents. she was BEAUTIFUl too!

• blacklamb66 posted on February 24, 2010 at 9:47 pm

lol…that lil girl is so cute. Love her hair style.

• beverly posted on February 25, 2010 at 2:57 am

Her hair was SO flowy and soft, like a model’s. I was fascinated 😛

• blacklamb66 posted on February 24, 2010 at 9:47 pm

lol…that lil girl is so cute. Love her hair style.

• beverly posted on February 25, 2010 at 2:57 am

Her hair was SO flowy and soft, like a model’s. I was fascinated 😛

• jesuisariel posted on February 25, 2010 at 6:31 am

I saw many cute Jap kids all dressed up in their cute winter outfits too! Made me want to buy some and dress Emily and Eunice the same away…LOL!

Loved Kiddy Land too! I went to the one in Shinjuku – also 6 storeys tall. One floor is entirely dedicated to Snoopy!!! Would have bought the entire floor if I could 😛

• beverly posted on February 25, 2010 at 8:03 am

You should, they would be soooo cute!! but then, need cold weather for that 😛

• jesuisariel posted on February 25, 2010 at 6:31 am

• beverly posted on February 25, 2010 at 8:03 am

You should, they would be soooo cute!! but then, need cold weather for that 😛

• drshree posted on February 28, 2010 at 5:22 am

omg that little girl looks so fashionable!!!! I want her too!!!! LOL!

Are things very expensive in Japan, such as makeup, skincare and cutesy stuff??

• beverly posted on February 28, 2010 at 11:31 am

She was sooo adorable.. her parents obviously have awesome taste!

STuff is pretty $$ but like most countries, it depends on where you go. It IS possible to eat/live fairly cheaply in japan..

• drshree posted on February 28, 2010 at 5:22 am

omg that little girl looks so fashionable!!!! I want her too!!!! LOL!

Are things very expensive in Japan, such as makeup, skincare and cutesy stuff??

• beverly posted on February 28, 2010 at 11:31 am

She was sooo adorable.. her parents obviously have awesome taste!