HOLIDAYS, Living in... Australia, Uncategorized HELLO AGAIN 13 January 2010

Helloooooooo world.

Is anyone still out there? 😛

2 weeks later, and we’re back from our trip to Australia. Much thanks again to Microsoft for sponsoring the whole shebang – you are awesome. And so we had a GLORIOUS sun-drenched holiday in Australia’s hot summer, joy!!!!!! It was unimaginably blissful to escape Shanghai’s unbearably cold winter and rain, and bask in Sydney’s beautiful weather.

It was a whirlwind of a trip though – hence why I had zero time to blog. I had to work (urgh) every single night, despite technically being on annual leave/holiday. And during the day, it was a total blitz of:

1) Shopping – gotta buy anything and everything I couldn’t get my hands on whilst in China. I hardly shop in actual stores in China, the styles don’t appeal to me.
2) Eating – we had a VERY jammed itinerary that documented every meal, so we could ensure we went to all our fave places that we miss so much.
3) Celebrating Dad’s 60th birthday – right smack on New Years Eve too! HELLOOOOO Tetsuya’s.
4) Catching up with friends – both in small groups and big groups. It was wonderful to see all my partners-in-crime again! I miss ’em all terribly. Made me so happy to see them 🙂
5) Hitting the beaches – well duh, we’re in Sydney! Oh glorious sand and sun.
6) Alec & Christine’s wedding – last but not least, our dear friends’ wedding. Of which I was a (fairly disastrous) emcee AND wedding coordinator – more about that in a later post.

Whew.

And so I have about a billion (give or take a few) photos to trawl through, thus here are a few random highlights that excited the socks off me during our first few days in Australia….

At Manly Beach’s pedestrian mall – I love this place.

MAGAZINES IN ENGLISH!!! OH THE LUXURY!!!!!

Straight to one of my fave stores – Peter Alexander

Some of my fave brands having a shopping-bag-orgy together

More purchases! Oh shopping – how much I’ve missed you.

And yet another round of shopping 😛

Look what I found in the train station!

McDonalds “Angus Beef” burger – been dying to try this. It was AMAZING.

Let me also tell ya – I fell into depression at the airport when we had to leave Australia back to China 🙁 I miss it so much it makes my insides feel all funny when I stop and think about it. Yet, Australia is part of our past now. We will not return for many, many, many years. And for all its maddening antics, I do like China and it has a great number of benefits over Australia. And so for now, life is all about looking forward and (trying hard to) not look backwards.

Anyway, onward ho with the rest of the Australia posts… coming right up!

• starbucksweetie posted on January 13, 2010 at 3:51 am

Aww…looks fun. Can’t wait until I see your purchases with more detail. How long do you think you will stay in China? How long are your contracts?

• beverly posted on January 13, 2010 at 2:30 pm

Not sure, but it’s indefinite for as long as we want.. will likely be until we decide to have kids though

• rollagirl9 posted on January 13, 2010 at 4:05 am

You were a fab emcee 🙂

• beverly posted on January 13, 2010 at 2:30 pm

Fortunately people don’t really remember emcee speeches that much nor people’s mistakes, it’s only the person involved that remembers it clearly, lol!

• cenedrah posted on January 13, 2010 at 4:17 am

Aww glad you had a great time in Sydney.
    I tried the Angus burger myself but I didn’t like it much. And I love my beef!
    Cute dresses btw but I think your bag’s print clashes with your floral dress a bit (kinda busy).

• beverly posted on January 13, 2010 at 2:33 pm

Ohhh you didn’t like it? I adored it, better than their regular burgers IMHO

Hah, I was on holiday so of course didn’t bring my entire bag wardrobe to pair it perfectly with all my outfits (nor do I actually care about being matchy-match even back home – to me, a luxury bag is one that you can throw on and pull it off without being a fashion victim and pairing it perfectly!)

• divad posted on January 14, 2010 at 12:09 pm

i’ll second that…. just like a normal burger but a little fattier… still craving a rockpool full-blood wagyu

• joni_to0622 posted on January 13, 2010 at 6:42 am

I know how you feel. I also have a very special feeling for sydney, it was place where I met my boyfriend 7.5 years ago. 🙂 We hope one day we will be able to go back there again!

• beverly posted on January 13, 2010 at 2:34 pm

One day we will move back to Sydney, that’s for sure. But until then, we still have many other countries we wanna ‘conquer’ 😛

• sw4y posted on January 13, 2010 at 6:51 am

How come you wont come back for such long time?

• beverly posted on January 13, 2010 at 2:35 pm

cos we’re living in China for now

• jasmine_z posted on January 13, 2010 at 11:40 am

That looks like an amazing burger actually. I hope they have it in Canberra! I am going to try searching for that. :p

And, thanks for reminding that life is all about looking forward, and not looking backwards! 🙂 Really do need to remind myself of that!

• beverly posted on January 13, 2010 at 2:38 pm

Hopefully it’s AU wide 🙂 It’s fantastic! So beefy and the bun is great.

• starbucksweetie posted on January 13, 2010 at 3:51 am

• beverly posted on January 13, 2010 at 2:30 pm

• rollagirl9 posted on January 13, 2010 at 4:05 am

You were a fab emcee 🙂

• beverly posted on January 13, 2010 at 2:30 pm

• cenedrah posted on January 13, 2010 at 4:17 am

Aww glad you had a great time in Sydney.
    I tried the Angus burger myself but I didn’t like it much. And I love my beef!

• beverly posted on January 13, 2010 at 2:33 pm

Ohhh you didn’t like it? I adored it, better than their regular burgers IMHO

• divad posted on January 14, 2010 at 12:09 pm

• tiffanyx posted on January 13, 2010 at 1:25 pm

we wanna see loots pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! =)

• beverly posted on January 13, 2010 at 2:38 pm

I’m gonna post it later but toooo much stuff I bought so, erm, will just take pics of a few!

• tiffanyx posted on January 14, 2010 at 1:01 am

“a few”??!?!?!?! whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

• peachietree posted on January 14, 2010 at 11:02 am

me, too! None of the clothes in China appeal to me either, so now I’m like a fiend when I’m outside of the country when it comes to shopping. Even for something stupid like socks and bras.

• beverly posted on January 14, 2010 at 1:32 pm

I’m with you, it’s weird how some stuff I just can’t find (in my style) in china!

• beverly posted on January 13, 2010 at 2:40 pm

Yeah we had to be super organised cos we had SO much to fit in.. bummer we couldn’t be there for a month!

• joni_to0622 posted on January 13, 2010 at 6:42 am

• beverly posted on January 13, 2010 at 2:34 pm

• sw4y posted on January 13, 2010 at 6:51 am

How come you wont come back for such long time?

• beverly posted on January 13, 2010 at 2:35 pm

cos we’re living in China for now

• balletpumps posted on January 13, 2010 at 2:54 pm

gawd! i miss aust! the food and the shopping! =(

Glad you had a fab trip back!! =)

• beverly posted on January 14, 2010 at 1:19 am

It was seriously GOOD to be back home… 1 year is way too long!

• jesuisariel posted on January 13, 2010 at 5:11 pm

Glad to see you updating again, Bev! And Happy New Year to you and Chris!

I miss Sydney too. Might be heading there (after leaving the place 10 long years ago!) during Easter if we happen to come across cheap fares. The prices of everything there will definitely shock us though 😛

• beverly posted on January 14, 2010 at 1:20 am

Ohhh lucky, I’m envious! I wish flights there were cheaper though, along with everything else 😛

• b_stingley posted on January 13, 2010 at 7:24 pm

lol McDonald’s burgers look better in other countries than in our own… they are nasty here in Cali.

• beverly posted on January 14, 2010 at 1:26 am

Oh ours are shoddy too.. it’s only this Angus beef one that looks nice with mixed gourmet lettuce and a nice bun! 😛

• jasmine_z posted on January 13, 2010 at 11:40 am

• beverly posted on January 13, 2010 at 2:38 pm

Hopefully it’s AU wide 🙂 It’s fantastic! So beefy and the bun is great.

• tiffanyx posted on January 13, 2010 at 1:25 pm

we wanna see loots pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! =)

• beverly posted on January 13, 2010 at 2:38 pm

• tiffanyx posted on January 14, 2010 at 1:01 am

“a few”??!?!?!?! whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

• peachietree posted on January 14, 2010 at 11:02 am

• beverly posted on January 14, 2010 at 1:32 pm

• beverly posted on January 13, 2010 at 2:40 pm

• balletpumps posted on January 13, 2010 at 2:54 pm

gawd! i miss aust! the food and the shopping! =(

Glad you had a fab trip back!! =)

• beverly posted on January 14, 2010 at 1:19 am

It was seriously GOOD to be back home… 1 year is way too long!

• jesuisariel posted on January 13, 2010 at 5:11 pm

Glad to see you updating again, Bev! And Happy New Year to you and Chris!

• beverly posted on January 14, 2010 at 1:20 am

• b_stingley posted on January 13, 2010 at 7:24 pm

• beverly posted on January 14, 2010 at 1:26 am

• _thegoodbyegirl posted on January 14, 2010 at 6:36 am

Huzzah for being able to catch a bit of Sydney in the summer!

I’m glad that you were able to shop up a storm while you were here 🙂

• beverly posted on January 15, 2010 at 9:00 am

Sydney summer is just awesome.. oh how i’ve missed it!

• _thegoodbyegirl posted on January 14, 2010 at 6:36 am

Huzzah for being able to catch a bit of Sydney in the summer!

I’m glad that you were able to shop up a storm while you were here 🙂

• beverly posted on January 15, 2010 at 9:00 am

Sydney summer is just awesome.. oh how i’ve missed it!