eBay, Parties, Uncategorized EBAY 2010 ANNUAL PARTY 29 January 2010

If there’s one thing that eBay China does well, it’s throwing a party. Man, these guys go INSANE! It absolutely trumps the eBay-thrown parties in any other countries – by far. China does it super-grand, super-organised, and super-awesome. Think a MASSIVE banquet dinner, an impressive performance and stage set-up, and incredible gifts/prizes.

This year was no difference. It was held in a huge banquet hall, with lots of games at the start to keep everyone occupied and mingling. One thing I failed to realise was that people dress up – men in suits, women in their finest cocktail dresses and beautiful hair and makeup. Me? I rocked up in my standard work clothes and no pretty makeup. D’oh! I think I missed out on the memo (well, it was an email written in Chinese, so that’s my defence!) about that “dress nicely” party 😉

There was a huge stage down the front, and it was basically like watching a concert or grand performance. We were treated to lots of skits and dancing, and a bunch of games and prize-drawings, etc. It was amazing that these were just regular people – our colleagues – up there on stage. They even had costumes and matching outfits and everything, incredible! In China, people take a lot of time to choreograph, to throw a grand party, and to impress. In Australia, our parties are just “Let’s have lunch then go to the pub for a drink” and that’s it 😉 It feels so far away now….

The dinner itself was FANTASTIC. We actually didn’t have high hopes since it’s difficult to cater enmass for so many people, but the food blew us away. Delicious, tasty, and filling. Well, I guess 13 courses is pretty much guaranteed to be filling 😉 I love how in China, you NEVER worry about going hungry when someone throws a party – the #1 priority is to ensure the guests are well-fed.

Best part? The 16GB white iPhone and 900? travel card I got! That particular iPhone is the newest one out on the market and currently retails around US$1,000 on eBay I think… and the travel card comes in handy for taxis (when I’m not using my driver). YAY 😀 I’m in a bit of a pickle with the iPhone though…. as I (need to) use my BlackBerry for work, so I can’t switch to the iPhone! And all the people close to me (that I would actually give it to) already have an iPhone, so I’m not sure what to do with it now, LOL! I want to use and play around it though, I think iPhones are super cute 😛 Only reason I haven’t already bought one for myself is because I love my BlackBerry, which I consider far superior to the iPhone in terms of usefulness.

Was a fun night, and I think it’s amazing how eBay does all this for the employees. What a way to boost employee morale!

The eBay Annual Party

The sign-in table

Fishing game

Our directors, putting on a drum performance

Video of the drum performance – pretty cool

Some colleagues, who were the emcees of the night

Dance item by a bunch of guys

Another Michael Jackson-esque dance

This was some skit about 4 guys trying to win a woman’s heart, I think?

A colleague performs on an ancient Chinese instrument – wow

Another dance item

The huge banquet hall

A 13-course menu. Woohoo!!!

Our table

Hooray for fab eBay dinners 🙂

I got a 16GB white iPhone and a 900? travel card. AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• tiffanyx posted on January 29, 2010 at 1:47 pm

the staff in ebay china is SUPERLY on the ball hor?!?!?!?!

• beverly posted on January 29, 2010 at 2:46 pm

Yeah, they’re so impressive!

• l_i_z posted on January 29, 2010 at 2:08 pm

Wow, looks like an awesome party! All the eBay staff look crazy talented, especially the girl playing the pipa! (I think that’s what it is anyway, I haven’t done music history for yeaarrrssss hehe)
    Btw, I would be happy to take that iPhone off your hands ;P
    Would eBay be upset if you sold it? You could ‘trade’ it for a nice new bag 🙂

• beverly posted on January 29, 2010 at 2:47 pm

I know, they seriously put me to shame!

Lots of people are flogging their pressies, cos some already have similiar/same stuff, etc. I’m likely to sell mine too cos I need to use my Blackberry! Email me if yu’re keen 🙂

• angelnotes posted on January 29, 2010 at 2:46 pm

I like that drum performance! So much energy. 😀

• beverly posted on January 29, 2010 at 11:44 pm

Yeah it was really impressive!

• soldierette posted on January 29, 2010 at 3:33 pm

I may be interested in buying the iphone, depending on whether it’s unlocked and what price you’d be selling it for 😛

• beverly posted on January 29, 2010 at 11:45 pm

Yeah it’s unlocked 🙂 I have the receipt for it, 5,800RMB so open to offers. Just email me!

• sw4y posted on January 29, 2010 at 8:10 pm

How do you manage to work at ebay china without being fluent in speaking/reading chinese?
    kudos to you!

• beverly posted on January 29, 2010 at 11:47 pm

My job is regional, so I cover not just china but South east asia, hong kong and japan. There’s no one person that exists that can speak the 5 or so languages that I cover, so English is ok 😛

• tiffanyx posted on January 29, 2010 at 1:47 pm

the staff in ebay china is SUPERLY on the ball hor?!?!?!?!

• beverly posted on January 29, 2010 at 2:46 pm

Yeah, they’re so impressive!

• jasmine_z posted on January 29, 2010 at 10:06 pm

oh wow! That dinner menu is even longer than that of a wedding dinner!

• beverly posted on January 29, 2010 at 11:47 pm

Yeah, eBay here do it on a grand scale – it was very cool!

• l_i_z posted on January 29, 2010 at 2:08 pm

Btw, I would be happy to take that iPhone off your hands ;P
    Would eBay be upset if you sold it? You could ‘trade’ it for a nice new bag 🙂

• beverly posted on January 29, 2010 at 2:47 pm

I know, they seriously put me to shame!

• angelnotes posted on January 29, 2010 at 2:46 pm

I like that drum performance! So much energy. 😀

• beverly posted on January 29, 2010 at 11:44 pm

Yeah it was really impressive!

• soldierette posted on January 29, 2010 at 3:33 pm

• beverly posted on January 29, 2010 at 11:45 pm

• susyspeed posted on January 30, 2010 at 12:54 am

Awesome win 🙂

Hey, I had a quick question – what camera do you use again? mine broke and I always love how clear your pictures come out!

• beverly posted on January 30, 2010 at 2:11 pm

It’s a Panasonic LX3 but most of the pics above were from the professional photographers..!

• starbucksweetie posted on January 30, 2010 at 3:16 am

Why don’t you just try to sell your iPhone on Ebay?

• beverly posted on January 30, 2010 at 2:12 pm

Lol yes of course I know of that option! I am decide if I want to keep it and give it to my parents or not, or if someone I already know wants to give me a good offer then I can sell it to them..

• sw4y posted on January 29, 2010 at 8:10 pm

kudos to you!

• beverly posted on January 29, 2010 at 11:47 pm

• jasmine_z posted on January 29, 2010 at 10:06 pm

oh wow! That dinner menu is even longer than that of a wedding dinner!

• beverly posted on January 29, 2010 at 11:47 pm

Yeah, eBay here do it on a grand scale – it was very cool!

• finding_tricia posted on January 30, 2010 at 6:18 am

those are really awesome gifts! ebay’s so generous!

• beverly posted on January 30, 2010 at 2:15 pm

It def has me in a good mood.. hehe. Love em!

• susyspeed posted on January 30, 2010 at 12:54 am

Awesome win 🙂

• beverly posted on January 30, 2010 at 2:11 pm

• starbucksweetie posted on January 30, 2010 at 3:16 am

Why don’t you just try to sell your iPhone on Ebay?

• beverly posted on January 30, 2010 at 2:12 pm

• finding_tricia posted on January 30, 2010 at 6:18 am

those are really awesome gifts! ebay’s so generous!

• beverly posted on January 30, 2010 at 2:15 pm

It def has me in a good mood.. hehe. Love em!

• Anonymous posted on January 31, 2010 at 11:16 pm

my goodness!

you really are the luckiest girl in the world, Beverly 😛 (now how do i get an awesome job at ebay too!)
    x tracey http://sh1ft.org/blog

• beverly posted on February 3, 2010 at 10:58 am

Re: my goodness!

eBay’s really good to their employees.. we’re fortunate 🙂

• Anonymous posted on January 31, 2010 at 11:16 pm

my goodness!

x tracey http://sh1ft.org/blog

• beverly posted on February 3, 2010 at 10:58 am

Re: my goodness!

eBay’s really good to their employees.. we’re fortunate 🙂

• chisin posted on February 2, 2010 at 8:31 pm

That’s awesome! Did you win a raffle, or were they just giving out pressies to everyone?

• beverly posted on February 3, 2010 at 10:51 am