eBay, Guilin, Uncategorized GUILIN – IT’S CAVING TIME 1 December 2009

Caves play a big feature in Guilin/Yangshuo’s scenery, and so we visited the famous Silver Cave. The walk through is a whopping 2KM, which I think is the longest cave walk I’ve ever been on. It’s a lot easier than it sounds though – because it’s so touristy, they’ve built up the cave so it’s all level ground and nice steps going up/down. Definitely not the real caving experience 😉 Probably just as well, I don’t think many regular people can survive 2KM of real spelunking! Typical of caves in China, it’s all lit up with neon lights and so doesn’t really present a true blue cave experience.. more of an entertaining experience. It’s not better or worse, but personally I prefer a proper cave experience like what Australia has.

The caves are gorgeous though – one of the nicest onces I’ve seen. The limestone formations are huge and breathtaking. My favourite was a huge cave that stretched upwards, but was surrounded by absolutely still, crystal clear water. It mirrored the image perfectly so when I first approached, I thought we were actually standing on a precipice and it was a huge drop down – before realising it was just shallow water that was mirroring the image. Amazing.

So far, this was the nicest cave I’ve seen in China. Any recs for any better ones? 🙂

Pretty red lanterns

A fantastic view

Entering the cave

The first large cavern

Freaky

All blue and eerie-like

Gorgeous cave roof

The most GORGEOUS cave…

…with water so clear and still that it was mirrored perfectly!

Lazy ass women being carried on a bamboo chair. WTF??!!
(note: they weren’t invalids)

Outside, there were 2 gorgeous peacocks to take photos with (if you paid)

A refreshing sugarcane drink, freshly squeezed for only 3? (US$0.40)

• rollagirl9 posted on December 1, 2009 at 10:02 pm

Totally ROFL-ing at the neon lights and the woman in the wicker chair.

• beverly posted on December 2, 2009 at 5:26 am

I knoooow. Bizzare, much?!

• rubytues posted on December 1, 2009 at 10:23 pm

Wow, your cave photos are stunning! They have such attractions in the USA, and I have been to several, but the lights in the photos you took are better than anything I remember seeing in person.

• beverly posted on December 2, 2009 at 5:44 am

It’s a bit of a catch 22 – when they light it up with neon lights, it looks fake and a bit tacky in real life, but fabulous in pics. If there’s no lights, it gives a true cave experience but doesn’t look good in pics!

• starbucksweetie posted on December 2, 2009 at 2:35 am

The cup at the end is really cute. Great views of the caves.

• beverly posted on December 2, 2009 at 5:52 am

Caves are a big attraction around china, which surprised me.. never even knew China had caves before I came here

• good_lenchik posted on December 2, 2009 at 4:58 am

It would absolutely cool to make a cave party. Lights are already there. Water too, so that it’s smth like a pool party. Just get a DJ and funky crowd. Sound should be fantastic! Hehehehe

• beverly posted on December 2, 2009 at 5:52 am

Haha that is a brilliant idea, it would be the best nightclub ever 😛

• rollagirl9 posted on December 1, 2009 at 10:02 pm

Totally ROFL-ing at the neon lights and the woman in the wicker chair.

• beverly posted on December 2, 2009 at 5:26 am

I knoooow. Bizzare, much?!

• rubytues posted on December 1, 2009 at 10:23 pm

• beverly posted on December 2, 2009 at 5:44 am

• princesszhing posted on December 2, 2009 at 9:40 am

wonder why they light the caves in such crazy colours!!

• beverly posted on December 2, 2009 at 1:53 pm

A bit weird… but it does make for awesome photo taking!

• princesszhing posted on December 3, 2009 at 2:17 am

it does yield amazing dramatic pictures…

but i’d think they look pretty awesome au naturel!

• starbucksweetie posted on December 2, 2009 at 2:35 am

The cup at the end is really cute. Great views of the caves.

• beverly posted on December 2, 2009 at 5:52 am

• good_lenchik posted on December 2, 2009 at 4:58 am

• beverly posted on December 2, 2009 at 5:52 am

Haha that is a brilliant idea, it would be the best nightclub ever 😛

• princesszhing posted on December 2, 2009 at 9:40 am

wonder why they light the caves in such crazy colours!!

• beverly posted on December 2, 2009 at 1:53 pm

A bit weird… but it does make for awesome photo taking!

• princesszhing posted on December 3, 2009 at 2:17 am

it does yield amazing dramatic pictures…

but i’d think they look pretty awesome au naturel!