Charity, Uncategorized CALLIGRAPHY VOLUNTEERING 15 December 2009

Spent Saturday volunteering at the Jing’an Disabled Centre – doing Calligraphy! Jing’an Disabled Centre is my favourite place to volunteer at, because I love the students there who are so smiley and sweet. They recognise me now and it was really nice seeing their smile of recognition when I stepped in 🙂 One even wanted me to sign my name on his bit of paper – hee! The center coordinators also know me well by now, so they asked for a photo with me – on their camera though, not mine, so I don’t have a copy – doh! The place is bright and open and cheery, and really clean and organised.

We had big papers with Chinese characters on them, and placed a sheet of thin tracing paper on top. Then we used the Chinese paint brushes and painted the characters – kinda like Calligraphy for Beginners 😉 It sounds easy but it’s NOT!!! It was actually really difficult because Chinese characters have a certain movement to them.. so it’s thick at some points, thin at others. And you actually need to know your stroke order, and where to start/end the stroke… most of which I don’t know so my characters actually looked worse than the students’ – for shame 😛

We had lots of fun though, and now I have a lot of respect for calligraphy masters. The paint each character suppperrrrr slooowwwwwlllyyyy and now I know why – I’m impatient and painted quickly and so couldn’t really control the pressure of my brush, and the trick is in exercising control and patience. Amongst which I have very little of 😉 Still, was fairly pleased with my end result.. at least the characters could be read! Well, but someone that knows how to read Chinese, that is.

The cheery entrance

Calligraph teaching time!

The materials

Listening attentively

Getting into it

Painting away

ROFL!!

Distracted from my *ahem* artwork 😛

Me oh-so-studiously working on my calligraphy… LOL

Taaaa daaaa!

The finished works

I don’t normally do “arty” photos, but I like this one!

This is my name! 😀

All of us!

• tiffanyx posted on December 15, 2009 at 1:10 pm

not bad handwriting!!

i like that angmoh’s reaction!! 😛

your chinese name is nice! do you respond to it when you are called that????????

• beverly posted on December 16, 2009 at 1:27 am

Heh yeah he was a nutter 😛
      No one has called me that in my life.. so no, haha!

• tiffanyx posted on December 16, 2009 at 1:30 am

chinese classes? or you didnt attend primary/secondary schools in singapore?

• peachietree posted on December 15, 2009 at 2:57 pm

Is that really your Chinese name? Cause that means we have the same last name, and the “translation” into English is TOTALLY different from each other haha

• beverly posted on December 16, 2009 at 1:28 am

COolness! I’m not sure what it means tho.. but the middle one is “warm” or something, someone told me!

• tiffanyx posted on December 15, 2009 at 1:10 pm

not bad handwriting!!

i like that angmoh’s reaction!! 😛

• beverly posted on December 16, 2009 at 1:27 am

Heh yeah he was a nutter 😛
      No one has called me that in my life.. so no, haha!

• tiffanyx posted on December 16, 2009 at 1:30 am

chinese classes? or you didnt attend primary/secondary schools in singapore?

• peachietree posted on December 15, 2009 at 2:57 pm

• beverly posted on December 16, 2009 at 1:28 am

• starbucksweetie posted on December 16, 2009 at 3:19 am

You look totally cute in the pink hat. I like the fourth pic w/ the mischeivous smile.

• beverly posted on December 16, 2009 at 4:10 am

Heh the hat was a necessity.. it’s freezing now, doh

• princesszhing posted on December 16, 2009 at 3:34 am

i can totaly understand why they made you take a picture! you look like the goodie student with your angelic smile and cute pink hat! 🙂

• beverly posted on December 16, 2009 at 4:13 am

Hhahah I totally am! Except, er, we were the teachers… lol

• blissfultyrant posted on December 16, 2009 at 7:36 am

you look lovely in your outfit! 🙂 really nice of you to volunteer too!

• beverly posted on December 16, 2009 at 2:53 pm

Aww thanks! It’s my snuggly warm weather outfit 🙂

• rollagirl9 posted on December 16, 2009 at 8:47 am

Love the photos of you!

• beverly posted on December 16, 2009 at 2:58 pm

Aww thanks, shame the official ones are all so teeeeny tho!

• starbucksweetie posted on December 16, 2009 at 3:19 am

• beverly posted on December 16, 2009 at 4:10 am

Heh the hat was a necessity.. it’s freezing now, doh

• princesszhing posted on December 16, 2009 at 3:34 am

• beverly posted on December 16, 2009 at 4:13 am

Hhahah I totally am! Except, er, we were the teachers… lol

• blissfultyrant posted on December 16, 2009 at 7:36 am

you look lovely in your outfit! 🙂 really nice of you to volunteer too!

• beverly posted on December 16, 2009 at 2:53 pm

Aww thanks! It’s my snuggly warm weather outfit 🙂

• rollagirl9 posted on December 16, 2009 at 8:47 am

Love the photos of you!

• beverly posted on December 16, 2009 at 2:58 pm

Aww thanks, shame the official ones are all so teeeeny tho!

• thienlan posted on December 18, 2009 at 11:55 pm

cute

you look so cute with your hat!
    Can’t wait til you arrive!

• beverly posted on December 19, 2009 at 3:24 am

Re: cute

Heh it keeps my noggin warm. Yayyy will see you VERY soon!!

• thienlan posted on December 18, 2009 at 11:55 pm

cute

you look so cute with your hat!
    Can’t wait til you arrive!

• beverly posted on December 19, 2009 at 3:24 am

Re: cute

Heh it keeps my noggin warm. Yayyy will see you VERY soon!!