Food reviews - Shanghai, Uncategorized BRUNCH @ ISSIMO 18 November 2009

Issimo
2/F, 931 Nanjing Xi Lu (????931?2?)
Shanghai, China

PRICE: ?????
RATING:

This hidden away gem sits within the chic doors of JIA Boutique Hotel. Issimo is helmmed by celebrity chef Salvatore Cuomo and boasts Italian/Western fare. It’s a wonderful place to escape to during the freezing months of Shanghai winter – the interior is dark wood and cozy, with lounge chairs and luxe decor. On the downside, it’s notoriously expensive. However, there is a special Sundissimo menu available during Sunday brunch, that is 198? and definitely more value-for-money than the regular menu.

The idea is, you pick 1 appetizer, 2 pastas, 1 main, and you’re served a selection of desserts. The portions are small, granted, but they really do add up and we were full at the end of the meal. The food was, overall, very good. Quality ingredients (though in too-small portions) and I was impressed that the dishes were delicious – often with set menus or specials, the quality drops dramatically. Not so in this case. The quality was consistent and impressive.

The only downside was the total confusion of the waiters. I suppose our large table (around 14-15 of us) threw them off, and they took orders from most of us, but forgot to take orders from the other end of the table. The dishes also were all mixed up – delivered to the wrong people, or just totally random dishes were served that nobody ordered. It was a little irritating for those that got wrong orders and had to wait for their food – good customer service would have been to apologise with a smile, then offer a freebie to placate – unfortunately, we didn’t have that.

But all in all, it was a pleasant dining experience, and I really enjoyed the food. I would love to see more reasonable prices on the regular menu, then I’d definitely go back for dinner 🙂

Our super-long table at Issimo

Cute plates and nice linen napkins

All ready to tuck in

Yellow fin tuna tartar with herbs and asparagus lemon salad
Pate de foie gras with sweet red onion compote, thyme and walnut-rye bread crouton

Rolled eggplant with buffalo mozzarella cheese on cream of tomato

Homemade pasta with eggplant, tossed with cherry tomatoes & homemade ricotta herb cheese
Green homemade tagliatelle with lamb ragu and pecorino Sardo cheese

Trofie pasta tossed with clams, garbanzo beans and rosemary

Roasted bell pepper, Belgium indive, asparagus and buffalo mozzarella cheese
with poached egg and basil pesto dip and black truffle

Cod fillet in ‘guazzetto’ with tomatoes, Taggiasca olive sand potatoes

Beaded veal milanese style with summer salad, mustard and chives dressing

Homemade chocolates and cookies

Apple pie, tiramisu, cinnamon ice cream… with a latte coffee

• xueji posted on November 18, 2009 at 8:17 pm

looks so nice, i want to eat them!
    why i did not find this restraunt when i was in shanghai!

• beverly posted on November 20, 2009 at 3:39 am

It’s pretty tucked away, we had trouble finding it even though we had the address!

• starbucksweetie posted on November 19, 2009 at 1:01 am

What a shame with the customer service. I would be mega annoyed.

• beverly posted on November 20, 2009 at 3:43 am

It was a bit strange.. but fortunately the food was really good!

• xueji posted on November 18, 2009 at 8:17 pm

looks so nice, i want to eat them!
    why i did not find this restraunt when i was in shanghai!

• beverly posted on November 20, 2009 at 3:39 am

• good_lenchik posted on November 19, 2009 at 4:22 am

Ummm yamissimo! Ah too bad we couldn’t make it that day! Do you have more pics of people from this brunch? I need them for the photo gallery.
    I guess it has to be a special training for the waitreses to serve such big companies. I think I would be confused if there are more than 4 ppl.

• beverly posted on November 20, 2009 at 3:46 am

No more.. sorry! I was too busy taking pics of food, oops 😛

• starbucksweetie posted on November 19, 2009 at 1:01 am

What a shame with the customer service. I would be mega annoyed.

• beverly posted on November 20, 2009 at 3:43 am

It was a bit strange.. but fortunately the food was really good!

• good_lenchik posted on November 19, 2009 at 4:22 am

• beverly posted on November 20, 2009 at 3:46 am

No more.. sorry! I was too busy taking pics of food, oops 😛

• Anonymous posted on November 24, 2009 at 6:48 am

Funny, you had brunch at Issimo, I once had brunch with the chef from Issimo …. at Le Platane! Food looks amazing.

• beverly posted on November 25, 2009 at 2:25 am

Did he enjoy Issimo? I think le Platane is better by far though, in a different league!

• Anonymous posted on November 24, 2009 at 6:48 am