Food reviews - Shanghai, Uncategorized CHA’S RESTAURANT 16 September 2009

Cha’s Restaurant
30 Sinan Lu (???30?,?????)
Shanghai, China

PRICE: ??
RATING:

Upon recommendation, we headed off to Cha’s Restaurant on a sunny Sunday afternoon.. stomachs rumbling in anticipation. A 1950’s style Hong Kong cafe, it’s easily missable on the streetand we probably wouldn’t have entered had we not heard it had great food. It’s a very casual cafe with frazzled waiters running back and forth, and loads of Hong Kongers chowing down on cafe-style food. Expect a long line on weekends – we arrived at almost 1PM but had to wait for about 20mins before we scored a table.

Half-starved by now, we were silly and only ordered a few dishes, but after eating had to add 2 more dishes… because the food was too good! It all arrives fairly promptly (though some dishes come out at the blink of an eye, whereas others take 15 mins) and you’re basically hustled out once you’re done eating. That all adds to the charm anyway, and very typical of busy Hong Kong cafe dining 😉

On with the food review!

The small, nondescript entrance

1950’s cafe style interior

The menu, neatly tucked under the glass table

Milo and Hong Kong milk tea. Cripes these were good – perfectly mixed.

Instant Noodles with Sichuan Pork –
AWESOME!!!! Hong Kong’s famous for their instant noodle concoctions and
this was spot on. Really tasty, with just the right amount of spice.

Noodles with Beef Brisket –
This was much more bland than the above noodles, but we really enjoyed it too.
A lovely ‘bite’ to the noodles and the brisket was soft and melty.

Toasted Butter Bread with Luncheon Meat and Scrambled Eggs –
how very very Hong Kong! They love their luncheon meat, and so do I.

Made into a sandwich. Oh man this was luscious. So hot and savory and tasty….
Loved it so much we ordered a Corned Beef & Egg Sandwich too – no pic cos I forgot!!

“Bo lo bao” – a crispy, sweet bun with a pat of butter half melted inside.

Having a foodgasm. Don’t mind me now…

• moxielass posted on September 16, 2009 at 7:10 am

man i feel so hungry now!

• beverly posted on September 16, 2009 at 1:50 pm

I’m so pleased we found great HK food in Shanghai, i wanna go back asap, heh!

• uglychocolate posted on September 16, 2009 at 1:12 pm

I love me some luncheon meat too! Ha ha, I always keep a can of it in my pantry just in case I get a craving.

• beverly posted on September 16, 2009 at 1:51 pm

Luncheon meat is awwwwesome. i slice it up and pan fry it, then have it with tomato sauce and rice. cheapest food EVER! 😉

• moxielass posted on September 16, 2009 at 7:10 am

man i feel so hungry now!

• beverly posted on September 16, 2009 at 1:50 pm

I’m so pleased we found great HK food in Shanghai, i wanna go back asap, heh!

• tyeetyuen posted on September 16, 2009 at 4:16 pm

The food looked so delicious! The pictures make me want to cook noodles at 12.13am!

• beverly posted on September 16, 2009 at 11:12 pm

Instant noodles is one of the best comfort foods early at night 😛

• uglychocolate posted on September 16, 2009 at 1:12 pm

• beverly posted on September 16, 2009 at 1:51 pm

• tyeetyuen posted on September 16, 2009 at 4:16 pm

• beverly posted on September 16, 2009 at 11:12 pm

Instant noodles is one of the best comfort foods early at night 😛

• starbucksweetie posted on September 17, 2009 at 3:19 am

Love that you look totally blissed out in the last pic.

• beverly posted on September 17, 2009 at 9:28 am

It was taken at the end of the meal, so we were feeling pretty happy with ourselves by then 😉

• gilraen_girl posted on September 17, 2009 at 7:20 am

Oh my god! Look at all that butter in the Bo lo bao!

• beverly posted on September 17, 2009 at 9:30 am

The contrast of the thick pat of cold butter against the hot bao… OMGGGGGG…..!!!!

• starbucksweetie posted on September 17, 2009 at 3:19 am

Love that you look totally blissed out in the last pic.

• beverly posted on September 17, 2009 at 9:28 am

• gilraen_girl posted on September 17, 2009 at 7:20 am

Oh my god! Look at all that butter in the Bo lo bao!

• beverly posted on September 17, 2009 at 9:30 am

• alongcameaspydr posted on September 18, 2009 at 6:16 am

Oh man! My mouth is watering. The noodles in the beef brisket is what we Chinese call a ‘Q, Q’ bite. LOL I don’t know how to explain it other than the way it sounds when we say it in Mandarin. I can just tell how the noodles will taste by the picture and my mouth is watering.

• beverly posted on September 18, 2009 at 9:15 am

Oh i’ve never heard that phrase!! And I live in China too.. I live under a rock lol.

I ADORED the instant noodles.. going back very soon:P