FOOD, Food reviews, Uncategorized CARLS JR IN SHANGHAI 11 September 2009

I’ve been waiting and salivating in anticipation for over 3 months. I first saw a section in Raffles City mall sectioned off, with huge CARL’S JR logos all over it, complete with luscious looking burgers that tempted me.

Well, CARL’S JR FINALLY OPENED IN SHANGHAI!!!! I charged down there on the 2nd day they opened (would’ve gone on the 1st day but had a lunchtime meeting – boo) and dragged a bunch of my colleagues along with me 😉 I really adore Carls Jr, above McDonalds and Burger King, because the burgers are bigger, juicier, and all round taste bloody better. Plus, they have delicious crispy criss-cut fries, and also my favourite – oreo milkshakes!!!! I could eat Carls Jr every 2nd day and be happy as a clam.

I know it’s fattening and all, but now that I’m married, it’s ok if I become a big fat old maid. Bwahahha!

Ahem. Anyways, so were headed on down and it was packed with loads of expats and locals alike. A bunch of locals were having a FIELD DAY with the “refillable soft drink” station… basically drinking their body weight in soft drinks. I also saw a bunch start grabbing at the napkin dispenser (one on every table, instead of the China-version of 1 napkin allocation per person) and taking as many napkins as possible and stuffing it into their bag. Words fail me to describe the absurdity of the situation.

So we queued to order and the food arrived quite a while later. It took about 15 mins, which I attribute to the sheer crowds, as when I went back a few days later the food arrived super quick. My colleague, unfortunately, waited about 30mins for the food, and it never arrived. When she asked, it was obvious they forgot but they refused to admit it, but her food came out shortly afterwards. She asked what they were going to do about the mistake (since the rest of us had nearly/totally finished eating) and if she was going to get a refund, and the local waitress stared blankly and said “No.” Not satisfied, she called over one of the American managers (the whole team was in town for the launch – great move) and explained the situation, and whilst he was great, she still didn’t get a refund or ANY sort of make good. Hmm.

Happily though, the food was excellent. The quality holds and the portions are solid. However, the prices are expensive for China standards.. at around 50RMB pp. Don’t forget that here, you can get a big bowl of delicious noodles for 10RMB. It’s also about double the price of McDonalds. So for that reason, I’m pretty sure that once the excitement dies down, the locals will go to the cheaper choice – in China it’s the lowest price that reigns supreme, not the quality. Because of this, Carls Jr really needs to lower their prices by at least 30%, to be sustainable and attract not just expats but also locals (let’s face it, you need the massive number of locals here to purchase or the store won’t survive).

I’m also not sure how the free re-fills of soft drinks and free napkins are going to work. Stuff like this DOES NOT exist in China for a reason. People are not accustomed to it and don’t know how to act, so they go into a frenzy. Still, we loved it and really reminded us of back home. They also need a few of their American management team to stay behind. I’m not sure if they realise what will happen when they all leave… there’ll be litter over the floor and not picked up, tables not wiped promptly, and mostly, I fear the quality/quantity of the food will slide downhill. I just pray and hope everything still upholds and it remains the exact same as during their launch! I did find most of the local staff very friendly and polite, which is great news.

So pleased that Carl’s Jr is in town though, and 5 mins from my office to boot. I’ll go there every week to have my burger, fries and milkshake fix now. HAPPINESS!!! 🙂

All hail Carls Jr!

Paper napkins, salt and pepper on all tables. VERY rare in Shanghai.

Criss-cut fries and deep fried zucchini

Portobello Mushroom burger – my absolute favourite

Chilli cheeseburger – spicy!

With the girls!

With one of the Carls Jr hotties

• Anonymous posted on September 11, 2009 at 8:13 am

dress

that’s a great dress with an interesting print, where did you get it from Bev? and you look really good with a tan too! you are definitely glowing from your perfect honeymoon with the perfect man!

• beverly posted on September 11, 2009 at 7:08 pm

Re: dress

Thans hon! It’s Alannah Hill, my parents bought it for me for my birthday 🙂

• gilraen_girl posted on September 11, 2009 at 8:18 am

LOVE your dress Bev. Just gorgeous!

• beverly posted on September 11, 2009 at 7:08 pm

Whee thanks, I like it too, it’s comfy and easy to slip on!

• tiffanyx posted on September 11, 2009 at 10:53 am

their chinese name sounds nice! didnt know that!

think the chinese might have cart all the paper napkins home if they could!

• beverly posted on September 11, 2009 at 7:15 pm

Oh really? What does it mean?? I find the Chinese name for Microsoft the funniest.. it’s literally “micro” and “soft” 😛

• tiffanyx posted on September 12, 2009 at 6:19 am

read as “Ka Le Xin” – no particular meaning i suppose. just its nice-sounding in chinese!

yea, microsoft is “Wei Nuan”.

• catpuccino posted on September 11, 2009 at 12:48 pm

Hey it’s WoAi – I read his blog! Do you know him or is he just in the pic?
    That makes me feel like burger… nom nom nom.

• beverly posted on September 11, 2009 at 7:16 pm

Heh yeah, he’s a friend of mine.. he likes Carls Jr so much he had it 3 times in 1 week, rofl!

• distractedfish posted on September 11, 2009 at 12:57 pm

Ok… Now I’m craving for Carl’s Jr!

• beverly posted on September 11, 2009 at 7:16 pm

So good that it’s in Singapore too! But it too ages to come to SHanghai.. well, better late than never 😛

• renew posted on September 11, 2009 at 2:38 pm

The whole time I was reading this I kept thinking, what is Carl’s Jr? Haha where I live it’s called Hardees. 😀

• to_want posted on September 11, 2009 at 5:52 pm

I don’t know what it is, but Carl’s Jr is far superior to Hardee’s to me. I know they are pretty much the same thing, but every time I go out west I savor every bite of Carl’s Jr. When I’m back in the south, Hardee’s is just kind of “meh.”

• beverly posted on September 11, 2009 at 7:17 pm

I haven’t heard of Hardees! My my ALL TIME fave burger is In N Out burger in california… omggggg….

• Anonymous posted on September 11, 2009 at 8:13 am

dress

• beverly posted on September 11, 2009 at 7:08 pm

Re: dress

Thans hon! It’s Alannah Hill, my parents bought it for me for my birthday 🙂

• gilraen_girl posted on September 11, 2009 at 8:18 am

LOVE your dress Bev. Just gorgeous!

• beverly posted on September 11, 2009 at 7:08 pm

Whee thanks, I like it too, it’s comfy and easy to slip on!

• marmalade81 posted on September 11, 2009 at 4:22 pm

You look amazing, as always!
    Oh and I love crisscut fries.. now you’re making me hungry :p

• beverly posted on September 11, 2009 at 7:17 pm

I love em too!!!! So crispy and the seasoning is sooo nice

• to_want posted on September 11, 2009 at 5:48 pm

Ooooooh, I LOVE Carl’s Jr! We don’t have any around here in FL, so I’m jealous.

• beverly posted on September 11, 2009 at 7:18 pm

Man seriously?! THey so should open one there….. it is so so so so so good :)~

• tiffanyx posted on September 11, 2009 at 10:53 am

their chinese name sounds nice! didnt know that!

think the chinese might have cart all the paper napkins home if they could!

• beverly posted on September 11, 2009 at 7:15 pm

• tiffanyx posted on September 12, 2009 at 6:19 am

yea, microsoft is “Wei Nuan”.

• catpuccino posted on September 11, 2009 at 12:48 pm

Hey it’s WoAi – I read his blog! Do you know him or is he just in the pic?
    That makes me feel like burger… nom nom nom.

• beverly posted on September 11, 2009 at 7:16 pm

• distractedfish posted on September 11, 2009 at 12:57 pm

Ok… Now I’m craving for Carl’s Jr!

• beverly posted on September 11, 2009 at 7:16 pm

• sydneyfoodie posted on September 11, 2009 at 9:49 pm

I can’t believe they don’t have Car’s Jr in Sydney! or anywhere in Australia! 🙁

• beverly posted on September 12, 2009 at 5:51 am

I KNOW!! What are they thinking?!? Aussies would love it..

• exhileration posted on September 11, 2009 at 9:52 pm

OMG your pictures just made me salivate hahahaha. I’ve never tried Carl’s Jr! Maybe next time I’m in the States I’ll look out for it 😀

• beverly posted on September 12, 2009 at 5:56 am

Yeah! Check out the outlets to see where they are – it’s worth a visit!

• renew posted on September 11, 2009 at 2:38 pm

• to_want posted on September 11, 2009 at 5:52 pm

• beverly posted on September 11, 2009 at 7:17 pm

• marmalade81 posted on September 11, 2009 at 4:22 pm

You look amazing, as always!
    Oh and I love crisscut fries.. now you’re making me hungry :p

• beverly posted on September 11, 2009 at 7:17 pm

I love em too!!!! So crispy and the seasoning is sooo nice

• to_want posted on September 11, 2009 at 5:48 pm

Ooooooh, I LOVE Carl’s Jr! We don’t have any around here in FL, so I’m jealous.

• beverly posted on September 11, 2009 at 7:18 pm

Man seriously?! THey so should open one there….. it is so so so so so good :)~

• starbucksweetie posted on September 12, 2009 at 2:52 am

I love your business analysis of Carl’s Jr in Shanghai.

• beverly posted on September 12, 2009 at 7:30 am

Haha it randomly turned into that

• sydneyfoodie posted on September 11, 2009 at 9:49 pm

I can’t believe they don’t have Car’s Jr in Sydney! or anywhere in Australia! 🙁

• beverly posted on September 12, 2009 at 5:51 am

I KNOW!! What are they thinking?!? Aussies would love it..

• exhileration posted on September 11, 2009 at 9:52 pm

• beverly posted on September 12, 2009 at 5:56 am

Yeah! Check out the outlets to see where they are – it’s worth a visit!

• starbucksweetie posted on September 12, 2009 at 2:52 am

I love your business analysis of Carl’s Jr in Shanghai.

• beverly posted on September 12, 2009 at 7:30 am

Haha it randomly turned into that

• popcorn_feet posted on September 15, 2009 at 4:20 pm

Ohhhhh I just looked for a carl jrs and now I know why I never saw one…They must have started on the west coast and have only made their way mid country. But how odd that they got to china before they got to the east coast of the US!

• beverly posted on September 16, 2009 at 4:37 am

That IS weird.. and they’re in China but not in Australia! the mind boggles..

• popcorn_feet posted on September 15, 2009 at 4:20 pm

• beverly posted on September 16, 2009 at 4:37 am

That IS weird.. and they’re in China but not in Australia! the mind boggles..

• thefragrantelf posted on September 16, 2009 at 12:29 am

They do deep fried zucchini too. Gah!

Interesting thoughts on how the business might do in Shanghai too.

• thefragrantelf posted on September 16, 2009 at 12:29 am

They do deep fried zucchini too. Gah!

Interesting thoughts on how the business might do in Shanghai too.