Family, FOOD, Food reviews, Living in... Singapore, Uncategorized SIDNEY’S WEDDING DINNER @ CHIJMES 4 August 2009

We’re in Singapore!! With FOUR DAYS left to the wedding!!

*runs around in frantic circles*

I don’t feel like talking wedding-related talk because as it is, my head is gonna implode… so I’ll talk about someone else’s wedding instead 😛 My cousin Sidney had his wedding/family dinner exactly ONE WEEK before ours.. on 1 August. He’d actually gotten married earlier in the yeah, but him and his new wife moved from Japan to India, so hadn’t had a chance to have a dinner in Singapore yet. So they threw a small private dinner for family only Lei Garden in Chijmes.

I’d never been there before, but heard really good things about the restaurant. They have top-notch service for sure! Incredibly attentive and really sweet. Lei Garden is famous for their excellent Chinese food, and they didn’t disappoint. It was a mega banquet of 11 courses (!) and they were all delicious. My favourite was the Crispy Skin Chicken, which I liked so much I forgot to take a photo of it 😉 The meat was soft and tender, and the skin so thin and crisp with the perfect amount of saltiness. YUM!

Dya know what’s cool? I’m wearing Mum’s dress, the dress she wore for HER own wedding, during the tea ceremony! It’s been sitting in her closet for the past 35 years.. and I didn’t have anything to wear to the dinner and saw it hanging in there, so I pulled it on and it fit perfectly 🙂

The only problem with attending a wedding dinner just one week before our own Big Day? All the FOOD…! Irresistible food! My diet is going…. dismally. I wanted to be a 45kg bride, which is actually heavier than what I used to weigh pre-Shanghai. But I’m 1-stupid-kg off, and I can’t get rid of it because it requires dieting and lots of exercise 🙁 I would just diet madly in next 4 days until the wedding, but I get very very very grumpy when I’m hungry! So, oh well… 😛

Walking in and being pose-y

Our family! I’m wearing Mum’s dress – which she wore to her own
wedding’s tea ceremony….. 35 years ago. It hasn’t been altered since!

Our dining room

The 11-course menu

Deepfried shredded yam with malt – man these were addictive

Sweet pic of Mum and Dad!

Double-boiled sharks fin soup…

…with sea whelk, chicken, and cocoon cordyceps

Baked live lobster with superior stock

Sauteed scallops with garden green in chilli sauce

Braised grouper belly with roasted pork, bamboo shoots and mushrooms

Braised cabbage with garden green topped with conpoy

Fried rice with duck in lotus leaf

Braised e-fu noodles with shrimp taste

Double boiled Hawaiian papaya with rock sugar

Chinese cake

Our table

Chris and I, exactly ONE WEEK before our own wedding 🙂

A cool taj mahal carved in rock, that the wedding couple gave us

Outside at Chijmes

• dottybunny posted on August 4, 2009 at 9:50 am

Your Mum’s dress is gorgeous and you look hot in it! I can’t wear a lot of my Mum’s clothes as she was much slimmer than I ever was/am now.

Anyways, with all the running ard like a headless chicken the week before my wedding, I actually lost about 2 kg. So much so that Mum and Michelle had to do some last minute alterations on my gowns the day of. Who knows? It might happen to you too!

• beverly posted on August 4, 2009 at 3:27 pm

It’s actually super common/normal for people now to be bigger than their parents when they were the same age. It’s weird and scary, I think the world’s population is getting bigger each year or something! gahhh!

Man I so wish I could lost 2kg from stress/activity too.. i think my body desperately HOLDS onto fat when that happens tho 😛

• tiffanyx posted on August 4, 2009 at 10:53 am

wah the taj mahal rock is cool!

and you look fab in your mum’s dress! =)

• waltzmatz posted on August 4, 2009 at 10:57 am

COUNTDOWN!

hang in there 🙂
      it sure is mad… but enjoy the process and the day itself! Pretty soon, you’ll be a MRS!!

• beverly posted on August 4, 2009 at 3:29 pm

Re: COUNTDOWN!

Heh thanks girls!

Ya the day will be here before we know it… time has really flown so far!

• blairwitch posted on August 4, 2009 at 11:19 am

Wow, you look AMAZING in your mum’s dress!!! There’s only one piece of my mum’s clothing from when she was my age that is not too daggy to wear, and it also fits me beautifully AND looks good as new (a gorgeous grey trench coat). It seems like clothing made back in the days were much better quality than the ones made now.

Would 1kg really make a difference? I think you look great now. Can’t wait for the wedding 🙂

BTW I like your new hair colour too! Looks good!

• beverly posted on August 4, 2009 at 3:29 pm

the trench sounds awesome, and it’s sooo timeless! Lucky you 🙂 🙂

• princesszhing posted on August 4, 2009 at 11:58 am

haha! i’d give an arm and leg to be as svelte as you! (hot dress too, good job mum!) it has been 10 years since my weight is in the 40s! 🙂

good luck for wedding prep! 🙂

• beverly posted on August 4, 2009 at 3:32 pm

YOu are tiny tho! I think you must be taller than me.. also I have hollow bones I think, cos ppl always guess me a lot heavier than my actual weight (doh!)

• distractedfish posted on August 4, 2009 at 1:01 pm

You look great in your mum’s dress!!

• beverly posted on August 4, 2009 at 3:32 pm

Hee thanks hon! so tickled I could wear it 😛

• tricia_sum posted on August 4, 2009 at 1:17 pm

wow.. u look so curvy in that dress.. nice..

• beverly posted on August 4, 2009 at 3:33 pm

I was gonna wear it as my tea reception dress, but then ended up getting that qipao made. Both are great tho!

• l_i_z posted on August 4, 2009 at 3:17 pm

That dress is so pretty! Crazy how something can be back in fashion 35 years later!

• beverly posted on August 4, 2009 at 3:34 pm

I know! I think classical stuff just stays in season, which is pretty cool 🙂

• joni_to0622 posted on August 4, 2009 at 5:45 pm

you look sooo pretty in that dress!!!! I am soo excited for you already!!! 🙂 🙂

• beverly posted on August 23, 2009 at 8:34 am

Thanks sweetie! Was so glad it fit me, hehe

• dottybunny posted on August 4, 2009 at 9:50 am

• beverly posted on August 4, 2009 at 3:27 pm

• tiffanyx posted on August 4, 2009 at 10:53 am

wah the taj mahal rock is cool!

and you look fab in your mum’s dress! =)

• waltzmatz posted on August 4, 2009 at 10:57 am

COUNTDOWN!

hang in there 🙂

• beverly posted on August 4, 2009 at 3:29 pm

Re: COUNTDOWN!

Heh thanks girls!

Ya the day will be here before we know it… time has really flown so far!

• blairwitch posted on August 4, 2009 at 11:19 am

BTW I like your new hair colour too! Looks good!

• beverly posted on August 4, 2009 at 3:29 pm

the trench sounds awesome, and it’s sooo timeless! Lucky you 🙂 🙂

• princesszhing posted on August 4, 2009 at 11:58 am

good luck for wedding prep! 🙂

• beverly posted on August 4, 2009 at 3:32 pm

• distractedfish posted on August 4, 2009 at 1:01 pm

You look great in your mum’s dress!!

• beverly posted on August 4, 2009 at 3:32 pm

Hee thanks hon! so tickled I could wear it 😛

• tricia_sum posted on August 4, 2009 at 1:17 pm

wow.. u look so curvy in that dress.. nice..

• beverly posted on August 4, 2009 at 3:33 pm

• l_i_z posted on August 4, 2009 at 3:17 pm

• beverly posted on August 4, 2009 at 3:34 pm

I know! I think classical stuff just stays in season, which is pretty cool 🙂

• starbucksweetie posted on August 4, 2009 at 11:44 pm

That’s very cool that you got to wear your mom’s dress. And people say you should throw out stuff you haven’t worn in a year…

• beverly posted on August 23, 2009 at 9:24 am

SO true.. fortunately with classics, they always stay in fashion!

• ikedee posted on August 5, 2009 at 12:11 am

your mum is so fashionable! the dress still looks so fabulous after 35 yrs 🙂 And I must say the wearer looks wonderful to begin with! U’re one glittering beautiful bride-to-be!

PS: i wonder how the chinese cake taste like. hehe

• beverly posted on August 23, 2009 at 9:26 am

Aww thank you, you’re super nice!!

The cake was uninteresting.. just like a butter cake, boo!

• joni_to0622 posted on August 4, 2009 at 5:45 pm

you look sooo pretty in that dress!!!! I am soo excited for you already!!! 🙂 🙂

• beverly posted on August 23, 2009 at 8:34 am

Thanks sweetie! Was so glad it fit me, hehe

• exhileration posted on August 5, 2009 at 1:51 am

I can’t believe there are only 4 days left!!!! I hope you have a great rest of the week leading up!!!

• beverly posted on August 23, 2009 at 9:34 am

Hehe thanks hon, we had a faaaaab time, crazy its’ all over!

• burntpinkhair posted on August 5, 2009 at 2:06 am

gorgeous dress bev and the sentimental value behind it must mean alot to both you and your mum!

• beverly posted on August 23, 2009 at 9:37 am

It’s so nice to be able to wear my mum’s dress.. heh!

• ce_no1 posted on August 5, 2009 at 4:45 am

your mom vintage dresses are always gorgeous. and you always look stunning in them.. 🙂

• beverly posted on August 23, 2009 at 10:24 am

She has great taste, I love all her dresses! 🙂

• starbucksweetie posted on August 4, 2009 at 11:44 pm

• beverly posted on August 23, 2009 at 9:24 am

SO true.. fortunately with classics, they always stay in fashion!

• ikedee posted on August 5, 2009 at 12:11 am

PS: i wonder how the chinese cake taste like. hehe

• beverly posted on August 23, 2009 at 9:26 am

Aww thank you, you’re super nice!!

The cake was uninteresting.. just like a butter cake, boo!

• koffiekitten posted on August 5, 2009 at 8:42 am

You look stunning, and the food pics are wonderful as always.

• beverly posted on August 23, 2009 at 10:41 am

Thanks hon! It was a pigalicious night 😉

• inthestill posted on August 5, 2009 at 9:37 am

You guys look so happy, I’m so happy for you 🙂
    Seriously, the last pic though a bit blurry is gorge!!

• beverly posted on August 23, 2009 at 10:44 am

Thanks sweetie! Ya, sucks the lighting in the pic went a bit weird :X

• exhileration posted on August 5, 2009 at 1:51 am

• beverly posted on August 23, 2009 at 9:34 am

Hehe thanks hon, we had a faaaaab time, crazy its’ all over!

• burntpinkhair posted on August 5, 2009 at 2:06 am

• beverly posted on August 23, 2009 at 9:37 am

It’s so nice to be able to wear my mum’s dress.. heh!

• catpuccino posted on August 5, 2009 at 12:32 pm

Your hair looks really nice in those photos!
    And the dress fits amazingly! :o)

• beverly posted on August 23, 2009 at 10:45 am

Yay! I love wavy hair now.. and it’s easier to upkeep 🙂

• ce_no1 posted on August 5, 2009 at 4:45 am

• beverly posted on August 23, 2009 at 10:24 am

She has great taste, I love all her dresses! 🙂

• koffiekitten posted on August 5, 2009 at 8:42 am

You look stunning, and the food pics are wonderful as always.

• beverly posted on August 23, 2009 at 10:41 am

Thanks hon! It was a pigalicious night 😉

• inthestill posted on August 5, 2009 at 9:37 am

You guys look so happy, I’m so happy for you 🙂
    Seriously, the last pic though a bit blurry is gorge!!

• beverly posted on August 23, 2009 at 10:44 am

Thanks sweetie! Ya, sucks the lighting in the pic went a bit weird :X

• catpuccino posted on August 5, 2009 at 12:32 pm

Your hair looks really nice in those photos!
    And the dress fits amazingly! :o)

• beverly posted on August 23, 2009 at 10:45 am