FOOD, My recipes, Uncategorized 5 MINUTE CHOCOLATE CAKE. NO, REALLY! 4 June 2009

I was reading online about making chocolate cake in 5 minutes, can’t remember where now but it was awhile back and got me interested. Decided to try it out since we’ve already got all the ingredients at home, and I was craving chocolate, and I was feeling lazy 😉

Guess what? It seriously takes just 5 minutes – inclusive of preparation and cooking time!

The secret? Making it in a cup, and microwaving to cook. I was pretty impressed it actually worked, it cooked up well and was so quick to make. It does taste like chocolate cake and is great to curb a sugar fix, but is definitely not the luscious kind you’d get when you bake it properly. It does have an ‘instant’ taste, and can get dry easily so be careful not to zap it in the microwave for too long. That said, eat it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and you’ve got yourself a fantastic, super-quick dessert!

All the ingredients you’ll need

In each cup, mix 2 tablespoons flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, 2 tablespoons cocoa, 1 tiny pinch of baking powder and salt

Beat 1 egg with 3 tablespoons oil, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence and 3 tablespoons milk

Divide and pour mixture equally into the 2 cups

Stir well, then add in chocolate chips. Cook on Med/High in the microwave for 1.5 mins,
make sure it’s still a little wet or you’ll get a dry cake! This picture is before it’s cooked,
forgot to take one of the finished product 😛

• vamprila posted on June 4, 2009 at 3:57 pm

hahaa, you must have read my mind! i was thinking if that last picture was IT! hehehe, it might be a good idea just for a quick 2 servings… the real thing maybe too much to finish =)

i wunder if replacing the oil with butter would make the taste better =p i always fell a little eeky with oil in cakes.. just too stark =p

• beverly posted on June 4, 2009 at 11:59 pm

Yeah I think it may be nicer with butter.. but it’s not feasible cos you don’t beat the butter and sugar together, so you’ll end up with a pat of butter somewhere in the cake!

• vamprila posted on June 4, 2009 at 3:57 pm

• beverly posted on June 4, 2009 at 11:59 pm

• kare2711 posted on June 5, 2009 at 12:24 am

wow so easy! maybe I’ll make some later.

• beverly posted on June 5, 2009 at 2:50 am

It’s quite funny.. i got off the couch where Chris and I were sitting, and 5 mins later I came back with a choc cake for us 😛

• irene82 posted on June 5, 2009 at 7:16 am

It looks sooo good and definitely easy! Will try this when I get a chocolate/cake craving!

• beverly posted on June 5, 2009 at 9:55 am

It’s so easy it’s crazy, heh!

• kare2711 posted on June 5, 2009 at 12:24 am

wow so easy! maybe I’ll make some later.

• beverly posted on June 5, 2009 at 2:50 am

• moxielass posted on June 5, 2009 at 8:39 am

ah, i asked for the recipe in twitters but sadly i hv no microwave oven. so it’s the old fashion way for me if i want to make a chocolate cake.

• beverly posted on June 5, 2009 at 9:55 am

No microwave!?? You seriously don’t heat up food and stuff? I can’t imagine life without my trusty micro… hehe

• irene82 posted on June 5, 2009 at 7:16 am

• beverly posted on June 5, 2009 at 9:55 am

It’s so easy it’s crazy, heh!

• moxielass posted on June 5, 2009 at 8:39 am

• beverly posted on June 5, 2009 at 9:55 am

• thefragrantelf posted on June 6, 2009 at 2:53 am

I made that cake too! Slightly different recipe and with coconut oil. Yum. I’ve been meaning to post the pics, but knowing me that will be sometime in 2011 😛

Love the glasses you made them in.

• beverly posted on June 7, 2009 at 5:16 am

Hehe great minds think alike! Does the coconutoil make it taste different though?

• thefragrantelf posted on June 9, 2009 at 1:15 pm

The coconut flavour was really pronounced which I was glad about…coconut chocolate cake…YUM!!!

• thefragrantelf posted on June 6, 2009 at 2:53 am

Love the glasses you made them in.

• beverly posted on June 7, 2009 at 5:16 am

• thefragrantelf posted on June 9, 2009 at 1:15 pm

• silentphrases posted on June 7, 2009 at 5:10 am

I tried this and it wasn’t exactly amazing. I don’t think I will be trying it again too soon.

• beverly posted on June 7, 2009 at 5:17 am

lol! what didn’t you like about it? i find it’s not bad when it’s not overcooked (ie. gets too dry), but it’s certainly not as luscious as a properly-made choc cake.

• silentphrases posted on June 7, 2009 at 5:10 am

• beverly posted on June 7, 2009 at 5:17 am

• queen_bead posted on September 11, 2009 at 12:50 pm

I finally just tried this recipe because I was bored. We had to go and get choc chips specially, but I found you didn’t really need them? Are they supposed to form a kind of icing on top? Otherwise, pretty good recipe thanks! It just tasted a bit odd/processed but that might have been the olive oil I used :S

• beverly posted on September 12, 2009 at 7:32 am

The choc chips make it a bit softer cos they only half melt, otherwise the cake would be dry imho. I think it’s not the greatest flavour, but does make a good choc fix!

• queen_bead posted on September 11, 2009 at 12:50 pm