Charity, FOOD, Uncategorized RSPCA CUPCAKE DAY 21 August 2008

I was walking just outside my place in the morning, on the way to work.. and who should walk past me but John Howard, Australia’s ex Prime Minister as of a few months ago! He was doing his daily morning walk, with some beefy bodyguard powering along behind him. Haha. I looked, and did a double take as I recognised him. He looked smaller than what I’d expected, not that tall at all.. and looking rather grand-fatherly and sweet. Anyway, he looked up at me and said “Hullo!” which I was quite delighted by, hehehehhe.

Anyway, Monday was RSPCA Cupcake Day! It’s a charity event where all proceeds go to the RSPCA, which is actually Australia’s oldest Animal Welfare Charity (over 125 yrs!). Did you know that it costs over $80M/yr to maintain the RSPCA, and less than 2% of this is from the Australian government? For shame!! Which is why events such as these are so needed by the RSPCA, and so worthwhile.

So all Sunday afternoon, Chris and I baked and baked and baked… until I was totally frazzled and sick of cupcakes, haha. Also ate loads of ’em.. I mean, who can resist freshly-baked yummy cupcakes, hot out of the oven?! We made chocolate fudge cupcakes and my signature maple syrup cupcakes πŸ™‚ All up, there were >100 cupcakes so the whole kitchen was just filled with the aroma of baked goodies… ahhhhhhh…….

Packing them all up was a major hassle, and something that I hadn’t quite planned out prior – d’oh! In the end, I only managed to get around 60 cupcakes packed into 3 tins, and had to lug ’em all into work the next morning.

Happily – the cupcakes sold like hot cakes πŸ˜› In fact, there were TOO FEW!! So I got reprimanded by the many that missed out πŸ˜› I charged $2 a cupcake and managed to wrangle/wheedle/plead/guilt/force people to donating more… so ended up making $170 in cupcake sales. Very pleased!! I know it’s NOTHING, a drop in the ocean when you compare it to the $80M they really need for the year.. but I figure every (teeny tiny) little bit must count, right?!

I’m definitely doing it again next year πŸ™‚

Me – the RSPCA Cupcake Cook!

Chocolate fudge cupcakes, all ready to go into the oven

Mixing up the Maple syrup cupcakes batter

Rising in the oven

Maple syrup cupcakes – these smell heavenly coming out of the oven!

I made 100 cupcakes, 50 of which were packed into
these tins – my pride and joy ‘cos they’re just too cute!!

Money money money!

• starbucksweetie posted on August 21, 2008 at 1:18 pm

Wow, you are so charitable! The cupcake tins *are* cute.

• beverly posted on August 21, 2008 at 9:07 pm

It was a bit unwieldy making so many, but fun!

• tiffanyx posted on August 21, 2008 at 1:31 pm

awesome job babe!!

i love the tin!!

do you think i can buy 1??

• beverly posted on August 21, 2008 at 9:09 pm

I got it at Freedom, a homewares store, is it in SG? I haven’t seen it selling in awhile tho, cos I got it about a year ago!

• tiffanyx posted on August 22, 2008 at 12:40 am

nopes we dont have Freedom in sg.. ahhhh~~~ they are so cute!

• joejunior posted on August 21, 2008 at 1:55 pm

Sweet!

• beverly posted on August 21, 2008 at 9:14 pm

Very πŸ˜‰

• rosettek posted on August 21, 2008 at 3:22 pm

mmmm mmmmm cupcakes!

• beverly posted on August 21, 2008 at 9:19 pm

Hehe won’t be making ’em for quite a while now πŸ˜‰

• rubytues posted on August 21, 2008 at 7:12 pm

Very nice of you to do and a very solid effort/donation! Next year you can seriously top this by bringing this amount each day for a week and raising over a grand. If you plug it at work in advance and run it for an entire week you will have more orders than you can fill. Get a few friends to help with a full day of baking and you will really help the charity, have loads of fun and be able to keep yourself in fresh cupcakes to eat for an entire week. Or maybe a coworker or two can be talked into also baking some so the amount that is available for sale is double or triple. You have a year now to find and save containers to carry the cupcakes in, and you can also easily double the efforts by having Chris do this where he works… mmmmm!

• beverly posted on August 21, 2008 at 9:20 pm

Haha I would do that if we had the energy/resources to make 5 times the amount of cupcakes, my kitchen’s just too small πŸ˜‰ Next year though I’m going to convince some colleagues to bake too, so everyone gets at least one cupcake!

• alongcameaspydr posted on August 21, 2008 at 9:18 pm

Mmm those cupcakes look and sound delicious I can smell it!!! You’re too sweet and what a good cause! πŸ™‚

• beverly posted on August 21, 2008 at 9:39 pm

Thanks hon! πŸ™‚ I wish I’d taken more photos.. I totally forgot so only got those ones above, doh!

• starbucksweetie posted on August 21, 2008 at 1:18 pm

Wow, you are so charitable! The cupcake tins *are* cute.

• beverly posted on August 21, 2008 at 9:07 pm

It was a bit unwieldy making so many, but fun!

• beverly posted on August 21, 2008 at 9:07 pm

It was a bit unwieldy making so many, but fun!

• starbucksweetie posted on August 21, 2008 at 1:18 pm

Wow, you are so charitable! The cupcake tins *are* cute.

• tiffanyx posted on August 21, 2008 at 1:31 pm

awesome job babe!!

i love the tin!!

do you think i can buy 1??

• beverly posted on August 21, 2008 at 9:09 pm

• tiffanyx posted on August 22, 2008 at 12:40 am

nopes we dont have Freedom in sg.. ahhhh~~~ they are so cute!

• tiffanyx posted on August 22, 2008 at 12:40 am

nopes we dont have Freedom in sg.. ahhhh~~~ they are so cute!

• beverly posted on August 21, 2008 at 9:09 pm

• tiffanyx posted on August 21, 2008 at 1:31 pm

awesome job babe!!

i love the tin!!

do you think i can buy 1??

• joejunior posted on August 21, 2008 at 1:55 pm

Sweet!

• beverly posted on August 21, 2008 at 9:14 pm

Very πŸ˜‰

• beverly posted on August 21, 2008 at 9:14 pm

Very πŸ˜‰

• joejunior posted on August 21, 2008 at 1:55 pm

Sweet!

• gilraen_girl posted on August 21, 2008 at 11:02 pm

Ohhhh, I want those tins!

Great effort Bev.

• beverly posted on August 23, 2008 at 7:53 am

Aww thank you hon! It was fun πŸ™‚

• rosettek posted on August 21, 2008 at 3:22 pm

mmmm mmmmm cupcakes!

• beverly posted on August 21, 2008 at 9:19 pm

Hehe won’t be making ’em for quite a while now πŸ˜‰

• beverly posted on August 21, 2008 at 9:19 pm

Hehe won’t be making ’em for quite a while now πŸ˜‰

• rosettek posted on August 21, 2008 at 3:22 pm

mmmm mmmmm cupcakes!

• xstardustedx posted on August 22, 2008 at 1:54 am

Beverly, I had the recipe for the maple syrup cupcakes bookmarked somewhere, but can’t find it! Can I get the recipe from you? xstardustedx (at) livejournal (dot) com, please! Thank you.

• rubytues posted on August 21, 2008 at 7:12 pm

• beverly posted on August 21, 2008 at 9:20 pm

• beverly posted on August 21, 2008 at 9:20 pm

• rubytues posted on August 21, 2008 at 7:12 pm

• alongcameaspydr posted on August 21, 2008 at 9:18 pm

• beverly posted on August 21, 2008 at 9:39 pm

• beverly posted on August 21, 2008 at 9:39 pm

• alongcameaspydr posted on August 21, 2008 at 9:18 pm

• gilraen_girl posted on August 21, 2008 at 11:02 pm

Ohhhh, I want those tins!

Great effort Bev.

• beverly posted on August 23, 2008 at 7:53 am

Aww thank you hon! It was fun πŸ™‚

• beverly posted on August 23, 2008 at 7:53 am

Aww thank you hon! It was fun πŸ™‚

• gilraen_girl posted on August 21, 2008 at 11:02 pm

Ohhhh, I want those tins!

Great effort Bev.

• princesszhing posted on August 22, 2008 at 7:07 am

bev, you have such a good heart! πŸ™‚

• beverly posted on August 23, 2008 at 8:05 am

Hehe well I do benefit too.. I love baking πŸ˜›

• tyeetyuen posted on August 22, 2008 at 7:32 am

This is so cool! I have always wanted to participate in a bake sale! I love your bake tins. How much are they a piece?

• beverly posted on August 23, 2008 at 8:05 am

Hmm I think they were $30 for the 3 of them, which was pretty cheap!

• rollagirl9 posted on August 22, 2008 at 8:53 am

You did good love πŸ™‚ *hugs!* Next year let’s bake up a storm together – will need more ovens!!

• beverly posted on August 23, 2008 at 8:06 am

Yeees that would be fun!

• xstardustedx posted on August 22, 2008 at 1:54 am

• xstardustedx posted on August 22, 2008 at 1:54 am

• tyra8 posted on August 22, 2008 at 10:15 am

That’s really nice of you! Yes, a little charity goes a looong way!

• beverly posted on August 23, 2008 at 8:07 am

It was fun, but i wish it was less timeconsuming doing all that baking, haha!

• princesszhing posted on August 22, 2008 at 7:07 am

bev, you have such a good heart! πŸ™‚

• beverly posted on August 23, 2008 at 8:05 am

Hehe well I do benefit too.. I love baking πŸ˜›

• beverly posted on August 23, 2008 at 8:05 am

Hehe well I do benefit too.. I love baking πŸ˜›

• princesszhing posted on August 22, 2008 at 7:07 am

bev, you have such a good heart! πŸ™‚

• tyeetyuen posted on August 22, 2008 at 7:32 am

• beverly posted on August 23, 2008 at 8:05 am

Hmm I think they were $30 for the 3 of them, which was pretty cheap!

• beverly posted on August 23, 2008 at 8:05 am

Hmm I think they were $30 for the 3 of them, which was pretty cheap!

• tyeetyuen posted on August 22, 2008 at 7:32 am

• sintart posted on August 22, 2008 at 3:35 pm

Wow, those cupcakes look so yummy and the tins are so cute! You’re such a whiz in the kitchen πŸ™‚

• beverly posted on August 23, 2008 at 8:08 am

Hehe I dunno cos I nearly went craaazy making so many cupcakes, but at least it was for a good cause!

• rollagirl9 posted on August 22, 2008 at 8:53 am

• beverly posted on August 23, 2008 at 8:06 am

Yeees that would be fun!

• beverly posted on August 23, 2008 at 8:06 am

Yeees that would be fun!

• rollagirl9 posted on August 22, 2008 at 8:53 am

• tyra8 posted on August 22, 2008 at 10:15 am

That’s really nice of you! Yes, a little charity goes a looong way!

• beverly posted on August 23, 2008 at 8:07 am

It was fun, but i wish it was less timeconsuming doing all that baking, haha!

• beverly posted on August 23, 2008 at 8:07 am

It was fun, but i wish it was less timeconsuming doing all that baking, haha!

• tyra8 posted on August 22, 2008 at 10:15 am

That’s really nice of you! Yes, a little charity goes a looong way!

• sintart posted on August 22, 2008 at 3:35 pm

• beverly posted on August 23, 2008 at 8:08 am

• beverly posted on August 23, 2008 at 8:08 am

• sintart posted on August 22, 2008 at 3:35 pm

• _thegoodbyegirl posted on August 23, 2008 at 3:27 am

You and Chris are a cupcake making factory all on your own – I’m so impressed!!

ps. love the tins πŸ™‚

• beverly posted on August 23, 2008 at 8:12 am

hehe at least it was fun baking toghether.. πŸ˜€

• _thegoodbyegirl posted on August 23, 2008 at 3:27 am

You and Chris are a cupcake making factory all on your own – I’m so impressed!!

ps. love the tins πŸ™‚

• beverly posted on August 23, 2008 at 8:12 am

hehe at least it was fun baking toghether.. πŸ˜€

• beverly posted on August 23, 2008 at 8:12 am

hehe at least it was fun baking toghether.. πŸ˜€

• _thegoodbyegirl posted on August 23, 2008 at 3:27 am

You and Chris are a cupcake making factory all on your own – I’m so impressed!!

ps. love the tins πŸ™‚

• alittleglitter posted on August 24, 2008 at 2:40 am

oh i remember those maple syrup cupcakes! u posted the recipe previously and i tried them out. they were really simple to prepared and tasted so so goood!

• beverly posted on August 24, 2008 at 9:39 pm

Yayy I’m glad you liked ’em! They’re so easy to make, my ‘star’ recipe, hahaha

• alittleglitter posted on August 24, 2008 at 2:40 am

• beverly posted on August 24, 2008 at 9:39 pm

Yayy I’m glad you liked ’em! They’re so easy to make, my ‘star’ recipe, hahaha

• beverly posted on August 24, 2008 at 9:39 pm

Yayy I’m glad you liked ’em! They’re so easy to make, my ‘star’ recipe, hahaha

• alittleglitter posted on August 24, 2008 at 2:40 am

• thefragrantelf posted on August 25, 2008 at 2:16 am

You guys did awesome! Next year I might try my hand at some, I always get worried that no one will eat them but the donation is what’s important πŸ˜€

Heehee, I saw Mr Howard one morning too, I was so tired I didn’t notice till he’d just about walked past me!

• beverly posted on August 25, 2008 at 7:47 am

I was worried too cos mine turned out a bit yuck looking.. but people still bought ’em, thank goodness! πŸ˜›

• Anonymous posted on August 25, 2008 at 8:37 am

bev!
    i totally love this cupcake entry! cupcakes are my fave!!
    xoxo
    cassie

• thefragrantelf posted on August 25, 2008 at 2:16 am

• beverly posted on August 25, 2008 at 7:47 am

• beverly posted on August 25, 2008 at 7:47 am

• thefragrantelf posted on August 25, 2008 at 2:16 am

• Anonymous posted on August 25, 2008 at 8:37 am

bev!
    i totally love this cupcake entry! cupcakes are my fave!!
    xoxo
    cassie

• Anonymous posted on August 25, 2008 at 8:37 am

bev!
    i totally love this cupcake entry! cupcakes are my fave!!
    xoxo
    cassie

• Anonymous posted on September 1, 2008 at 11:03 pm

Cupcaker Carrier

Hey Bev, it’s Sam. I bought a cupcake carrier that can carry 3 trays of 12 cupcakes. Sounds like you need something like that. Howards storage world also has them, but I think that one only holds 24.

• beverly posted on September 3, 2008 at 12:03 pm

Re: Cupcaker Carrier

Ahhh I think I know what you’re talking about! I do need a big one though, and not too $$.. hmm might check eBay now..

• Anonymous posted on September 1, 2008 at 11:03 pm

Cupcaker Carrier

• beverly posted on September 3, 2008 at 12:03 pm

Re: Cupcaker Carrier

• beverly posted on September 3, 2008 at 12:03 pm

Re: Cupcaker Carrier

• Anonymous posted on September 1, 2008 at 11:03 pm

Cupcaker Carrier

• catpuccino posted on September 9, 2008 at 2:29 pm

That does look like a fun thing, maybe next year I’ll try it too!

I’vr also met John Howard, back when he was still PM. Ok so I was in Parliament House on budget night so much more guaranteed that I’d see him. But it was nice! I was sitting outside the main room and then he strode by and stopped by my chair and said “HELLO!” and then kept going. So friendly! Much more so than most of the other politicians who just kept walking.. That said, he was one of the few I would actually have recognised!

• beverly posted on September 10, 2008 at 10:10 pm

Heheh that’s so nice of him. He’s kinda like a nice ol grandpa πŸ˜›

• catpuccino posted on September 9, 2008 at 2:29 pm

That does look like a fun thing, maybe next year I’ll try it too!

• beverly posted on September 10, 2008 at 10:10 pm

Heheh that’s so nice of him. He’s kinda like a nice ol grandpa πŸ˜›

• beverly posted on September 10, 2008 at 10:10 pm

Heheh that’s so nice of him. He’s kinda like a nice ol grandpa πŸ˜›

• catpuccino posted on September 9, 2008 at 2:29 pm

That does look like a fun thing, maybe next year I’ll try it too!

• koffiekitten posted on October 11, 2008 at 10:00 pm

The Dutch Queen drove by my work on Friday just as I was about to cross the street….. she didn’t even look at me!!!! Anyway it was still nice to see her (even though I think Holland should get rid of her… hahahha)

Great fundraising there!

• koffiekitten posted on October 11, 2008 at 10:00 pm

Great fundraising there!

• zeemers posted on December 9, 2008 at 4:05 pm

Hi

Hi there! Used to study in Sydney so reading your blog is like a trip down memory lane for me. Especially love all your foodie posts – mind adding me back? Haven’t posted in a while but you can check out my lj…

• beverly posted on December 10, 2008 at 6:24 am

Re: Hi

Sure hon, happy to add ya back!

• zeemers posted on December 9, 2008 at 4:05 pm

Hi

• beverly posted on December 10, 2008 at 6:24 am

Re: Hi

Sure hon, happy to add ya back!