Living in... Australia, Uncategorized BLUE MOUNTAINS HOLIDAY – Day 2 11 December 2007

The weather report apparently threatened that Saturday would be thunderstorms/flash floods, but apparently the weatherman ain’t that accurate, because we had none of that whatsoever 😛 It wasn’t super sunny, but at least it wasn’t rainy and the weather was pretty warm. Strangely though, we had a severe case of mist/fog in the evening – it was so bad that we were crawling down the road in the car, because we couldn’t see more than a few metres in front of us!

Anyway, started off the morning pottering around some Arts & Crafts Markets in the area, then headed to the cosy Cafe Bon Ton in Leura for lunch. It’s pretty famous and always a must-eat place when you ask anyone (in fact, we went there the last time we were in the area a year or 2 ago), mainly because of the romantic, cosy ambience and delicious food. I made a mistake by ordering the Smoked Chicken Triple Decker Sandwich with Watercress, Lemon Myrtle Stuffing, Green Tomato Chutney. It was nice, but nothing amazing because I mean, it’s a sandwich! That’s the very reason why I never order sandwiches, they’re just generally pretty boring. But I felt like being (vaguely) healthy and regretted it afterwards. Chris was smarter in his choice of Braised Beef Shank Pie with Smashed Peas, Red Wine Reduction, Spicy Tomato Relish – it was very hearty and more-ish and absolutely delicious if not super-filling.

Completely random Christmas set-up we saw as we were driving

Arts & Crafts Markets

Arts & Crafts Markets

Cafe Bon Ton

The cosy interior

Organic Hot Chocolate

Smoked Chicken Triple Decker Sandwich with Watercress, Lemon Myrtle Stuffing, Green Tomato Chutney (AU$13.50)

Braised Beef Shank Pie with Smashed Peas, Red Wine Reduction, Spicy Tomato Relish (AU$19.50)

We then made the 1 hr drive to Jenolan Caves, for a special event, Chorus In The Caves. It was awesome!! The caves provide a cathedral-like sound quality, but all natural of course. Was really amazed that it sounded so good without any musical instruments whatsoever. It was fun huddled up in the cave and listening to them.. then having a cave tour afterwards. It was definitely an experience, especially since it was a special event that the Chorus were performing. Next time, we’ve decided we’re going to go cave spelunking – digging/climbing around in the caves wearing a jumpsuit and a helmet with a light on the front. So fun!!

The beautiful drive to Jenolan Caves

Looking over the mountains

1+ hr later.. right at the bottom of the mountains

YAY we’re here!

Chilled out in the car for a few mins since we were early

Super touristy shot

Waiting around for the guide to arrive

Going up the stairs into the cave entrance

Squeezy little walkway in the caves

Pretty formations

Peeking through

Scary!

DON’T GET LOST

Crazy bright flash. And yes, only crazy me would go climbing caves carrying a Balenciaga bag 😉

Seated and waiting

The Chorus!

“Happy Together”

“Bohemian Rhapsody”

“It’s Raining Men”

“O Come All Ye Faithful”

Out safe and sound. Haha!

Saw a cute lizard on the way out

Dinner was at The Swiss Cottage, a little place I hunted down online because of its fantastic reviews. It was so hidden away on an obscure road that we were initially a bit disheartened, as the road outside look totally deserted. It’s a stand-alone restaurant so Chris actually said “Errr.. we’re leaving if no one’s dining in there” but we were floored when we stepped in. It was like stepping into a different world – a warm, cozy little slice of Switzerland! It was decorated everywhere we looked and jam packed with diners and bustling with activity. It looked awesome and our stomachs immediately did little cartwheels of delight in anticipation 😛

The service was absolutely spectacular. Incredibly friendly and so so efficient, the food came out within a few minutes! The menu is contemporary Swiss food and totally decadent… which also means it’s totally unhealthy but we’re on holiday, so who cares 😉 I opted for the Veal A La Creme – Swiss traditional meal of Veal emince with button mushrooms in a creamy white wine sauce, with rosti which is really similar to beef stroganoff but I preferred this one more I think. The rosti was crisp on the outside but lovely and fluffy on the inside. Chris had the White Farm Rabbit in a wonderful basil sauce, served with rosti which I initially was a bit iffy about trying.. I mean, it’s a bit weird to eat rabbit? To be honest though, it’s like chicken but with a very subtle game-y flavour. Very nice but had little bones in it (like a chicken wing) which was annoying. We also randomly added some Herb & Garlic Bread to our order because Chris heard someone at the next table saying it was awesome, haha. It was! It came piled with lots of chives and garlic and butter.. mmmmm.

Dessert was the total stunner though, Hot Swiss Chocolate Pudding topped with Lindt Chocolate and Vanilla ice cream. HOLY CRAP!!! The pudding was a butter pudding of sorts, incredibly moist and juicy.. and the liquid Lindt chocolate was poured on top so it soaked into the pudding as well. It was mind blowing. One of the best desserts I’ve had and if I’m ever in the Blue Mountains area again I’m definitely going back for more 😉

Crazy mist/fog descended on us in the evening

The Swiss Cottage

Cozy interior

It was packed!

Veal A La Creme – Swiss traditional meal of Veal emince with button mushrooms in a creamy white wine sauce, with rosti (AU$25.00)

White Farm Rabbit in a wonderful basil sauce, served with rosti (AU$26.00)

Garlic & Herb Bread (AU$3.00)

Hot Swiss Chocolate Pudding topped with Lindt Chocolate and Vanilla ice cream (AU$15.00)

Our cute bill-bearing cow

• starbucksweetie posted on December 10, 2007 at 9:13 pm

Wow, what a fun trip. I think eating rabbit is weird too. They’re so cute!

• beverly posted on December 10, 2007 at 11:23 pm

It really was like eating chicken or quail! I still find it a bit too weird for me though 😛

• j0s1e267 posted on December 10, 2007 at 10:14 pm

Oh wow! Everything looks so beautiful! YEAH! I can’t believe you carried a B-bag hiking!!! LOL!

• beverly posted on December 10, 2007 at 11:22 pm

thankfully no dramas with the bag, hee!

• angelnotes posted on December 10, 2007 at 10:21 pm

Man, y’all ate rabbit?? :X

Anyway, lovely pic.s. How many days did you spend there? 🙂

• beverly posted on December 10, 2007 at 11:12 pm

Yeah I’m surprised it isn’t served more here, since they’re considered pests in AU!

We were there 4 days.. wish we were still there tho 😛

• joni_to0622 posted on December 10, 2007 at 11:15 pm

i never dared to eat rabbits cos i think they are too cute to be eaten. But my bf’s family eat rabbit..his dad made a wild rabbit dish not long time ago :S

• beverly posted on December 11, 2007 at 6:20 am

I think rabbit features in European food, esp in the farming areas? that’s what I think anyway 😛 cos in Australia farmers will eat them!

• joni_to0622 posted on December 11, 2007 at 10:36 pm

I think back in the old days Danish people eat more rabbits compared to now but in France they eat more rabbits.. I was just down in Paris for a weekend and already saw rabbit meat on the menu within a few restaurants I went to..:P dont think i dare to eat them..feel so weird 😛

• blueeyezz posted on December 11, 2007 at 12:33 am

I’ve never had rabbit…I’m with the above commentor…Too cute! I do, however, love frog legs. Lol…

And I so wish I could be enjoying that chocolate dessert right now!

Between the last post and this one, it looks like you guys had the perfect weekend.

• beverly posted on December 11, 2007 at 6:20 am

Frogs legs scare me a bit too.. they taste just fine but the *thought* of it! Same with the rabbit.. if no one had told me it was rabbit I would’ve said it was fine, haha

• thefragrantelf posted on December 11, 2007 at 12:39 am

Jenolan caves are great, I’ve only been there once and had an asthma attack, but it wasn’t due to the caves! I remember the cave where they said they had the choir singers, though they weren’t there at the time, they sound fab, especially Happy Together.

OOOOOH! The Swiss Cottage looks awesome! Earlier in the year when M and I were in the mountains, we went to the French place at the top of the street in Leura. That was great, but we are DEFINITELY going to the Swiss Cottage next time!!!

• beverly posted on December 11, 2007 at 6:22 am

oh dear! well hopefully it wasn’t too bad since you did go in the cave after all 😛

I think you went to Le Gobelet? they were closed.. but i was keen to go to Mes Amis.. next time we will! And ya, DEF go to swiss cottage, you guys’ll love it 😀

• pebzz posted on December 11, 2007 at 12:45 am

Wow! Think I should go too!

• beverly posted on December 11, 2007 at 6:22 am

oo you so should! It makes a nice and relaxing holiday 🙂

• starbucksweetie posted on December 10, 2007 at 9:13 pm

Wow, what a fun trip. I think eating rabbit is weird too. They’re so cute!

• beverly posted on December 10, 2007 at 11:23 pm

• j0s1e267 posted on December 10, 2007 at 10:14 pm

• beverly posted on December 10, 2007 at 11:22 pm

thankfully no dramas with the bag, hee!

• angelnotes posted on December 10, 2007 at 10:21 pm

Man, y’all ate rabbit?? :X

Anyway, lovely pic.s. How many days did you spend there? 🙂

• beverly posted on December 10, 2007 at 11:12 pm

We were there 4 days.. wish we were still there tho 😛

• joni_to0622 posted on December 10, 2007 at 11:15 pm

• beverly posted on December 11, 2007 at 6:20 am

• joni_to0622 posted on December 11, 2007 at 10:36 pm

• blueeyezz posted on December 11, 2007 at 12:33 am

And I so wish I could be enjoying that chocolate dessert right now!

• beverly posted on December 11, 2007 at 6:20 am

• thefragrantelf posted on December 11, 2007 at 12:39 am

• beverly posted on December 11, 2007 at 6:22 am

• pebzz posted on December 11, 2007 at 12:45 am

Wow! Think I should go too!

• beverly posted on December 11, 2007 at 6:22 am

oo you so should! It makes a nice and relaxing holiday 🙂

• khemany posted on December 11, 2007 at 9:28 am

I love jenolan caves! Its a long ass drive to get there but its well worth it. Last time I went it was SO hot there were so many flies but inside it was cold and refreshing! loved it

• beverly posted on December 11, 2007 at 8:44 pm

Yeah I love how cool and crisp it is inside the caves, and pretty amazing how it’s the same temperature all year round!

• tiffanyx posted on December 11, 2007 at 1:03 pm

SO MUCH herb & garlic on da bread!! woots!

• beverly posted on December 11, 2007 at 8:45 pm

Haha I knwo! We were stinky afterwards 😉

• ptechnix posted on December 11, 2007 at 1:47 pm

Caroling in a cave??? Now I’ve seen everything!

No wait, I think I just saw a pic of some crazy girl going caving with a Balenciaga bag… but surely my eyes must be playing tricks on me. *stares at cough medication*

• beverly posted on December 11, 2007 at 8:46 pm

At the start of the bushwalk, after having gotten out of the car-

Chris: (eyeing me) baby, maybe you should leave your bag behind…?
      Me: (clutching bag closer to chest) NO! *mutters*
      Chris: …

• vamprila posted on December 11, 2007 at 4:12 pm

Balenciaga bag in a CAVE!!!! WHAHAHAHA, it HAS to be Beverly!! :p

• beverly posted on December 11, 2007 at 8:48 pm

Bwahaha at least no one knows Balenciaga here so the only people that know are me, Chris and errr everyone that reads my blog 😛

• khemany posted on December 11, 2007 at 9:28 am

• beverly posted on December 11, 2007 at 8:44 pm

• tiffanyx posted on December 11, 2007 at 1:03 pm

SO MUCH herb & garlic on da bread!! woots!

• beverly posted on December 11, 2007 at 8:45 pm

Haha I knwo! We were stinky afterwards 😉

• ptechnix posted on December 11, 2007 at 1:47 pm

Caroling in a cave??? Now I’ve seen everything!

• beverly posted on December 11, 2007 at 8:46 pm

At the start of the bushwalk, after having gotten out of the car-

Chris: (eyeing me) baby, maybe you should leave your bag behind…?
      Me: (clutching bag closer to chest) NO! *mutters*
      Chris: …

• vamprila posted on December 11, 2007 at 4:12 pm

Balenciaga bag in a CAVE!!!! WHAHAHAHA, it HAS to be Beverly!! :p

• beverly posted on December 11, 2007 at 8:48 pm

• vedica posted on December 12, 2007 at 4:51 am

ooh the cave looks so scary!

• beverly posted on December 12, 2007 at 12:33 pm

It looks scary in pics but is sooo pretty in real life! I wanna check out their other caves too 😛

• vedica posted on December 12, 2007 at 4:51 am

ooh the cave looks so scary!

• beverly posted on December 12, 2007 at 12:33 pm