FOOD, Living in... Singapore, Uncategorized RAFFLES TOWN CLUB NEW YEAR’S LUNCHEON 2 January 2007

Raffles Town Club
1 Plymouth Avenue
Singapore
$$$$$

New Year’s Day luncheon was at the Raffles Town Club, in The Dining Room, “A Renaissance style restaurant that is generously furnished with silver, crystal, linen and lace, it is altogether a gastronomic experience not to be missed.” I’d have to say they’re pretty spot-on!

We were fortunate to get the best table there IMHO – it was tucked away into a corner and was a plus rounded booth. Very cosy πŸ™‚ The service was perfect, no complaints whatsoever. They were really gracious, friendly and attentive.. which really made the whole dining experience worth it. It was a full-house there, so it was good that we arrived earlier than the other diners, it meant we got that little bit of extra service πŸ™‚

Raffles Club’s The Dining Room

The interior

We kicked off with some Warm Bread Rolls, encased snugly in white linen. I’m not a bread person, but I loved it.. with the garlic butter, it was heavenly! We also had some Sparkling Wine through the meal.. it was lovely, mild and sweet.

Warm Bread Rolls

Sparkling Wine

The Appetizer Bar offered a huge array of cold appetizers. Everything was super fresh, juicy and fantastic quality. Again, we were lucky we were early, as subsequently later in the afternoon, the fresh seafood didn’t look as enticing as what we’d had. The appetizers we had were:
* Alaskan-style Crayfish: Ooo this was nice. So fresh!
* Half Shell Mussels: Normally not a fan of mussels, but these were great
* King Prawns: Big, fat and juicy. So good
* Maguro Sashimi: The sashimi was fantastic quality and so fresh!
* Smoked Chicken Breast with Kiwi Salsa: Loved how the salsa paired perfectly with the chicken
* Poached Pineapple Squid with Olive Oil & Capsicum: Didn’t have this, not a squid fan
* Top Shell Clams with Chilli & Coriander: my favourite appetizer. The texture and flavour was absolutely perfect
* Seafood Pate: Nice but not that exciting
* Butcher Cold Cut Dream & Varieties of Spring Green Salad: Sounds fancy but was actually just salad greens *lol*

Seafood Pate

Poached Pineapple Squid with Olive Oil & Capsicum

Smoked Chicken Breast with Kiwi Salsa

Maguro Sashimi

Marinated Mushrooms

Top Shell Clams with Chilli & Coriander

Plate of appetizers

We then were served Italian Mussels and Snapper Soup with Basil. I found this the most uninteresting dish, as it was just a soup.. and I’m not really a fan of soups. It was tomato-based and I was impressed that it wasn’t too sour, but had a mild, light flavour. It was good, but I always fear soups as I feel they’ll fill me up prematurely before my meal.. and I like maximum stomach space for my food. Heh!

Italian Mussels and Snapper Soup with Basil

My choice of main was a no-brainer. Y’see, when I see lamb on the menu, I just can’t resist it. So when I saw Roasted Rack of Lamb Drizzled with Basil Garlic Gravy, I knew I just HAD to have it πŸ˜‰ I’m glad I chose it, it was superb. The lamb chops were one of the softest I’ve had, and it was cooked medium-rare to perfection. I would’ve preferred a mint sauce with it instead, though. And they should’ve given more than 2 chops for greedy me πŸ˜‰

Dad opted for the Pan-Fried Salmon Laced with Luzerne Sauce. The salmon was sooo good! It was just seared so the inside was still moist and barely cooked.. making the salmon really tender. It was fantastic. Mum had Beef Tenderloin with Yellow Mushroom Cream Sauce, which was really tender (though I found it strange they didn’t ask her how well she would like the steak cooked) and the sauce was delish.

Roasted Rack of Lamb Drizzled with Basil Garlic Gravy

Pan-Fried Salmon Laced with Luzerne Sauce

Beef Tenderloin with Yellow Mushroom Cream Sauce

Dessert was Vanilla Panna Cotta & Bluberry Crumble with Raspberry Coulis & Exotic Fruits. The desserts were so pretty and colourful on the plate! The Pannacotta was smooth and lightly chilled, it was lovely but could have been finer/smoother. I liked the Bluberry Crumble, which is pretty unusual since I don’t like fruit tarts. It was a great meal with quality food, thoroughly enjoyed it and it was nice to sit down and have a nice meal and chat with Mum and Dad!

Vanilla Panna Cotta & Bluberry Crumble with Raspberry Coulis & Exotic Fruits

Coffees

• falterd posted on January 1, 2007 at 2:27 pm

OMG the food looks great. How much did that cost then? It was a new year’s promo?

• beverly posted on January 2, 2007 at 1:44 am

Yeah so it was a good deal! It was $48pp plus whatever

• eviltofu posted on January 1, 2007 at 2:56 pm

one last fling before you go!

• beverly posted on January 2, 2007 at 1:45 am

Hehe not yet… still more to come!

• ah_fat posted on January 1, 2007 at 3:59 pm

your mail never fail to make me drool. LoL!

sorry if this has been asked a countless time. What cam were u using? did u take them with flesh or without? i have such shaky hands, the pics turned out blur if it’s wo flash.

• beverly posted on January 2, 2007 at 1:45 am

Oh with these particular pics it was using dad’s Olympus 4 megapixel camera without the flash.. I’ve learnt to use reaaaaally steady hands πŸ˜‰

• starbucksweetie posted on January 1, 2007 at 4:05 pm

Love this meal! Comparable to the one where you bought your parents dinner. I love the ice sculpture.

• beverly posted on January 2, 2007 at 1:46 am

Yeah it was similar, just that Les Amis had slightly finer/more unusual ingredients. Both were awesome meals though!

• heatherita posted on January 1, 2007 at 8:12 pm

The lamb looks so good and so do the clams. Yummy.

• beverly posted on January 2, 2007 at 1:47 am

Absolutely ADORED the lamb.. it was one of the best I’ve had! And the clams were my fave appetizer dish πŸ˜€

• falterd posted on January 1, 2007 at 2:27 pm

• beverly posted on January 2, 2007 at 1:44 am

Yeah so it was a good deal! It was $48pp plus whatever

• eviltofu posted on January 1, 2007 at 2:56 pm

one last fling before you go!

• beverly posted on January 2, 2007 at 1:45 am

Hehe not yet… still more to come!

• ah_fat posted on January 1, 2007 at 3:59 pm

your mail never fail to make me drool. LoL!

• beverly posted on January 2, 2007 at 1:45 am

• starbucksweetie posted on January 1, 2007 at 4:05 pm

• beverly posted on January 2, 2007 at 1:46 am

• somnistra posted on January 2, 2007 at 3:14 am

Gosh, I think I’d make my meal just of the appetisers.. All that seafood looks SO GOOD!

• beverly posted on January 2, 2007 at 6:07 am

Yeah we could pretty much have filled ourselves on the appetiser buffet alone! Yum:)~

• heatherita posted on January 1, 2007 at 8:12 pm

The lamb looks so good and so do the clams. Yummy.

• beverly posted on January 2, 2007 at 1:47 am