FOOD, Food reviews, Living in... Singapore, Uncategorized YONG’S BAK KUT TEH 16 December 2006

Yong’s Bak Kut Teh
219 River Valley Road
Singapore
$—-

The gang (ie. parents and aunt/uncle) went for some Bak Kut Teh (and more) for lunch today. A new place to me, along River Valley road. We ordered an assortment of dishes, but most impressive was the Ba Ku Teh itself – which came in an impressive earthen pot atop a lit flame. In it was the herbal broth, bubbling, and lots of meaty pork ribs. I really liked the broth, not too peppery and salty.. just a nice herbal flavour. The pork was really chunky and lean, which was great, but it wasn’t as soft as the one I had at “Hup Choon”.

The “Yu Tiao” (Chinese deep-fried dough) went brilliantly dipped into the hot Bak Kut Teh broth. Mmmm!! I know it was unhealthy but I still ate half a bowl of it, oops. The Bean Curd skin was okay – not very exciting to me. Loved the Pickled Vegetables, all lovely and salty and went so well with the white rice. And of course, we also ordered Braised Peanuts, always a fave of mine. But my favourite dish was the Braised Pork Knuckle, which I had for the first time – it was chunky, meaty and ever-so-soft. Divine! I avoided the Intestines dish, which freaked the hell outta me 😉

All up – SG$33 for 5 of us, stuffed full. INSANE!!!!!!!!!!

Bak Kut Teh

The “Yu Tiao” (Chinese deep-fried dough)

Bean Curd skin

Pickled Vegetables

Braised Nuts

Braised Pork Knuckle

Intestines

“Kopi-ping” and “Kopi” (aka Iced coffee and coffee)

After that, we spent the rest of the afternoon SHOPPING! Unfortunately, I was half-blind, so it kinda difficult (and weird) as I had to practically kiss everything just to see it.. much to the suspicion of the sales people 😉 That didn’t really deter me however, and I came away with a gorgeous pair of Itti and Otto leather ballet flats!!!! Been after some ballet flats for awhile but shoes are insanely $$$ in Australia. Plus these were 20% off 😀 I think they’d look fab with my denim skinny jeans!

Itti & Otto leather ballet flats

• l_i_z posted on December 16, 2006 at 11:55 am

Ooh those shoes are cute! I absolutely HATE ballet flats, but I think I have to make an exception.. ;D

• beverly posted on December 16, 2006 at 11:46 pm

I never used to be a fan of flat shoes, but I have no choice now 😛

• plwh888 posted on December 16, 2006 at 12:48 pm

Droolicious !!!

Welcome home sweetie =)

• beverly posted on December 16, 2006 at 11:47 pm

W00t! It’s great to be back

• joni_to0622 posted on December 16, 2006 at 1:38 pm

mmm..i love Yu Tiao!! In Hong KOng, some people eat them together with plain congee in the morning!

i miss those authentic chinese food!!

• beverly posted on December 16, 2006 at 11:48 pm

Ya! We eat it with congee too – my fave is with a raw egg, mince pork and braised peanuts in the congee :)~

• joni_to0622 posted on December 17, 2006 at 9:07 am

My fav. congee is with thousand yr old egg and pork , follow by beef congee! 🙂 so good!

• pandora76 posted on December 16, 2006 at 3:07 pm

Phwoaaaar!!! The bak kut teh and side dishes look awesome! Where exactly along River Valley rd is it?

• beverly posted on December 16, 2006 at 11:48 pm

It was delicious 🙂 If you see the address above you should be able to find it

• starbucksweetie posted on December 16, 2006 at 4:02 pm

Those shoes are so pretty. I love ballet flats.

• beverly posted on December 16, 2006 at 11:55 pm

I like them because they’re soft.. and I assume the leather will mould to my feet when I start wearing them!

• nav posted on December 16, 2006 at 6:54 pm

my boyfriend tried to have me eat beef intestines once and it freaked the hell outta me too!!

• beverly posted on December 16, 2006 at 11:55 pm

My cousin convinced me to have a nibble once… NEVER AGAIN!!!!

• l_i_z posted on December 16, 2006 at 11:55 am

• beverly posted on December 16, 2006 at 11:46 pm

I never used to be a fan of flat shoes, but I have no choice now 😛

• plwh888 posted on December 16, 2006 at 12:48 pm

Droolicious !!!

Welcome home sweetie =)

• beverly posted on December 16, 2006 at 11:47 pm

W00t! It’s great to be back

• joni_to0622 posted on December 16, 2006 at 1:38 pm

i miss those authentic chinese food!!

• beverly posted on December 16, 2006 at 11:48 pm

• joni_to0622 posted on December 17, 2006 at 9:07 am

• pandora76 posted on December 16, 2006 at 3:07 pm

• beverly posted on December 16, 2006 at 11:48 pm

It was delicious 🙂 If you see the address above you should be able to find it

• starbucksweetie posted on December 16, 2006 at 4:02 pm

Those shoes are so pretty. I love ballet flats.

• beverly posted on December 16, 2006 at 11:55 pm

• misskesha24 posted on December 17, 2006 at 2:25 am

The coffee drinks looks soooo good! And I am in love with the ballet shoes!

• beverly posted on December 17, 2006 at 9:37 am

i LOVE “kopi ping” (iced coffee) in Singapore.. it’s so unique and better than any other coffee :)~

• nav posted on December 16, 2006 at 6:54 pm

• beverly posted on December 16, 2006 at 11:55 pm

My cousin convinced me to have a nibble once… NEVER AGAIN!!!!

• islegrl posted on December 17, 2006 at 5:24 am

Those are the cutest pair of ballet flats! I love them so much!!!

• beverly posted on December 17, 2006 at 9:38 am

They were a super find! I’m so happy with them, as they’re fancy enough to wear to a dinner too 🙂

• misskesha24 posted on December 17, 2006 at 2:25 am

The coffee drinks looks soooo good! And I am in love with the ballet shoes!

• beverly posted on December 17, 2006 at 9:37 am

• islegrl posted on December 17, 2006 at 5:24 am

Those are the cutest pair of ballet flats! I love them so much!!!

• beverly posted on December 17, 2006 at 9:38 am

• popcorn_feet posted on December 22, 2006 at 2:02 am

Really cute shoes! I love metallics this year…I got a new bag and wallet in a metallic – to go with my new gold leather coat! Shiny 🙂

The food looks yum…too bad the bean curd skin wasnt exciting…I really love that! I wouldnt have eaten the intestines either. Too freaky for me…

• beverly posted on December 23, 2006 at 4:05 am

Ooo you’re going to be all metallicus, heheh. I like metallics too, esp the muted kind.

• popcorn_feet posted on December 22, 2006 at 2:02 am