FOOD, Living in... Singapore, Uncategorized PINES COUNTRY CLUB 31 December 2006

Pine Garden
The Pines Country Club
Singapore
$$$$-

10 of us headed off to Pine Garden at my aunt/uncle’s country club after Church for lunch. It was Yum Cha style, with lots of dishes in the middle of the big table, for all to share. We ordered a bit of a feast, with multiples of multiple dishes, haha! But it was good and we left totally stuffed :)~

Pine Garden Restaurant

BBQ Char Siew Soh – BBQ pork in flaky pastry crust

Congee

Deep Fried Prawn pastry

Pork and Veg dumplings

Prawn dumplings

Singaporeans call this “carrot cake” but it’s actually made of
radish and has no carrot in it! Go figure.

Xiao Long Bao – hurray!!!

Siew Mai dumplings

Close up of dumpling-goodness

Cheong Fan with BBQ pork

Cheong Fan with prawns

Char Siew buns

Steamed pork ribs

E-Fu noodles

Mango Pudding

Sago with Mango

Mango crepe with coconut shavings

Everyone!

With the cutie baby

Family pic

• starbucksweetie posted on December 31, 2006 at 1:42 am

Is it called carrot cake, because a radish is considered a white “carrot”? It’s a stab in the dark…

I haven’t been to yum cha in so long but you’re making me crave it.

• beverly posted on December 31, 2006 at 8:57 am

Ohhh that’s a very good point. Probably!

• happyflowerlove posted on December 31, 2006 at 11:45 am

yah radish is also known as *bai luo bo* white carrot. hehe xD all the food look yummmmmmmmmmy!!!! as usual hehe… HAPPY NEW YEAR!

• khemany posted on December 31, 2006 at 1:45 am

Ahh now i know what my fave Yum Cha dish is called! Cheong Fan (with beef)!

Thanks!

• beverly posted on December 31, 2006 at 9:00 am

I like it too, plus it’s healthy!

• plwh888 posted on December 31, 2006 at 2:36 am

OMG, Laguna National Country Club ??? That’s my club =)

Pine’s food are really good, you should try their peking duck =)

• beverly posted on December 31, 2006 at 9:01 am

Naaah The Pines Country Club!

I always like their food.. their braised peanuts at the start is so good haha. Can’t remember if I’ve tried the duck though?!

• ladytrippin posted on December 31, 2006 at 4:44 am

For some reason, my mom does sometimes call it white carrot instead of raddish. Is the yumcha as good back home as in Syd? Syd has such good yumcha, mmmm. :)~

• beverly posted on December 31, 2006 at 9:04 am

I think it’s pretty similar since they’re all Hong Kong restaurants. Sydney has awesome yumcha so fortunately it’s the same!

• hyperion1 posted on December 31, 2006 at 6:59 am

all the food looks so delicious!!! 🙂 and you look very pretty in the pics too 🙂

happy new year!! only a few more hours to go….. 🙂

• beverly posted on December 31, 2006 at 9:05 am

Aww thanks! we all had a really nice time 🙂

HAPPY NEW YEAR to you too!

• rubytues posted on December 31, 2006 at 7:53 am

More than half of these dishes are recognizable to me. They are sold in the USA as dim sum and come already made on carts and you point to what you want and they serve you and later count the empty plates to know what to charge you. Dishes range between $2-4 each. A few things you showed are new to me though, mmmmm!

How are your eyes doing?

• beverly posted on December 31, 2006 at 9:07 am

Yeah yumcha is pretty similar around the world, as long as it’s a Hong Kong owned restaurant. We have the same ‘point-to-a-cart’ concept here too 🙂

Eyes are great, like nothing ever happened.. just that I have perfect eyesight now. Hurray!

• islegrl posted on December 31, 2006 at 7:57 am

Is your knee ok? It looks like it’s all taped up.

Wishing you a very happy, healthy and prosperous 2007! *HUGS* *^^*

• beverly posted on December 31, 2006 at 9:13 am

Yeah.. I’ve got physio and taping for at least 6 months.. 4 down so far :X

HAPPY NEW YEAR to you too!

• etherealprey posted on December 31, 2006 at 8:19 am

yummm…all that food is making me so hungry….

• beverly posted on December 31, 2006 at 9:14 am

It was a really satisfying lunch.. but too much eating, again!

• starbucksweetie posted on December 31, 2006 at 1:42 am

I haven’t been to yum cha in so long but you’re making me crave it.

• beverly posted on December 31, 2006 at 8:57 am

Ohhh that’s a very good point. Probably!

• happyflowerlove posted on December 31, 2006 at 11:45 am

• khemany posted on December 31, 2006 at 1:45 am

Ahh now i know what my fave Yum Cha dish is called! Cheong Fan (with beef)!

Thanks!

• beverly posted on December 31, 2006 at 9:00 am

I like it too, plus it’s healthy!

• plwh888 posted on December 31, 2006 at 2:36 am

OMG, Laguna National Country Club ??? That’s my club =)

Pine’s food are really good, you should try their peking duck =)

• beverly posted on December 31, 2006 at 9:01 am

Naaah The Pines Country Club!

• ladytrippin posted on December 31, 2006 at 4:44 am

• beverly posted on December 31, 2006 at 9:04 am

• hyperion1 posted on December 31, 2006 at 6:59 am

all the food looks so delicious!!! 🙂 and you look very pretty in the pics too 🙂

happy new year!! only a few more hours to go….. 🙂

• beverly posted on December 31, 2006 at 9:05 am

Aww thanks! we all had a really nice time 🙂

HAPPY NEW YEAR to you too!

• rubytues posted on December 31, 2006 at 7:53 am

How are your eyes doing?

• beverly posted on December 31, 2006 at 9:07 am

• islegrl posted on December 31, 2006 at 7:57 am

Is your knee ok? It looks like it’s all taped up.

Wishing you a very happy, healthy and prosperous 2007! *HUGS* *^^*

• beverly posted on December 31, 2006 at 9:13 am

Yeah.. I’ve got physio and taping for at least 6 months.. 4 down so far :X

HAPPY NEW YEAR to you too!

• etherealprey posted on December 31, 2006 at 8:19 am

yummm…all that food is making me so hungry….

• beverly posted on December 31, 2006 at 9:14 am

It was a really satisfying lunch.. but too much eating, again!

• medlabtech posted on January 1, 2007 at 12:17 am

I work with an annoying lady who always like to exclaim that the Chinese just don’t know how to make good desserts. She once went for dim sum and at the end of the meal ordered the “carrot cake” thinking it would be a good dessert. Boy was she shocked. She thought it was really disgusting (smelled bad, tasty weird). I can’t stand it whenever she tells that story. I happen to love that stuff. I also think that there are a lot of Chinese desserts that are delicious.

• beverly posted on January 1, 2007 at 1:58 am

*lol*!!!!!! She sounds like a redneck that has no idea about culture 😉

there are some Chinese desserts that I like and some that I dislike, same as the Western ones.. maybe some people just can’t get enough of cream/fatty stuff so they prefer Western desserts

• medlabtech posted on January 1, 2007 at 12:17 am