FOOD, Food reviews, Living in... Singapore, Uncategorized FLIGHT HORRORS 16 December 2006

My flight to Singapore was delayed for 4.5 hours. I don’t even want to think about it anymore because it was just too traumatic. Furthermore, long story, but I lost my glasses on the way to work in the morning. This led to me having a nervous breakdown in public, before arriving at work late and in a near-panic. Fortunately, the whole team pulled together and tryed to solve the problem McGuyver/Survivor-style… someone produced 2 lenses in my correct prescription (what are the chances of that?!) whilst others pulled together very “creative” ways of fashioning the lenses into something wearable. Suggestions were:

1) Use tape to stick the lenses onto my eyebrows, dangling them over my eyes
2) Get pipe cleaners to wind around the lenses and make into a pair of glasses
3) Stick a pencil to 1 lens so I could hold it up to my eye
3) Stick them to a pair of glsases or sunglasses

Turns out option 4 was the way to go.. we found a pair of fun-glasses, popped out the lenses, and blu-tacked the lenses on. OKAY they made me look a little odd (ie. had everyone in hysterics), but at least they worked! You should’ve seen me at the airport though.. walking around with those glasses (had no choice cos I actually had to find my way around!), people actually stopped and did double-takes, whilst I tried to hold my head high and walk past like nothing was unusual.

It didn’t help to the stress of the 4.5 hour flight delay. I was groggy, tired and starving. Fortunately, they gave us meal vouchers which I promptly redeemed at Wagamana for a bowl of steaming hot Chilli Chicken Ramen. It was delicious.

Starting a new fashion trend

Wagamama’s Chilli Chicken Ramen

But at least I’m finally in Singapore!! Had some Popiah for lunch, amongst other stuff that I didn’t photograph.

Chin Chin Eating House
19 Purvis Street
Singapore 188598
$$—

Dinner was at Chin Chin, my 2nd time there but apparently my parents go there often. Their food is awesome, Hainanese-style and really tasty. We ordered 4 dishes amongst the 3 of us and it was just-right. I would go into detail waxing lyrical about how each dish tasted.. but it’s 9pm here and I’m so tired (from last night’s flight horrors) that I can’t keep my eyes open anymore. Plus I can’t even see properly and touch-typing is no fun when I can’t see what I’m doing!

Chin Chin Eating House

Pork Chops

Crispy Tofu

Hainanese Chicken

Egg Foo-Yong

Chicken Rice and Longan drink

Dessert was at “Ah Chew” (yes, just like a sneeze)

Almond Paste

Bean Curd Skin with Ginko Nuts and Barley

G’night 🙂

• funkybrewsta posted on December 15, 2006 at 1:27 pm

I looked at the first Chin Chin picture and went “Geez, that guy looks familiar.”

Then I realized it’s your dad LOL

How are you supposed to eat the Almond Paste? I mean, is it like soup? Looks like melted ice cream. =oD

• eviltofu posted on December 15, 2006 at 2:10 pm

You just put it in your mouth and er swallow.

• beverly posted on December 15, 2006 at 11:56 pm

*lol* yeah.. my parents make cameos in some of my pics! 😉

Oo it does have the texture of melted ice cream actually, but it’s warm. It’s a dessert!

• eviltofu posted on December 15, 2006 at 2:10 pm

But after the operation, you won’t need those glasses! Ha ha! So losing them has no down side really!

• beverly posted on December 15, 2006 at 11:57 pm

Haha true.. but SO ANNOYING ’till Mony as I’m half blind ;(

• eviltofu posted on December 16, 2006 at 3:46 am

Practise for the first few days after surgery?

• gradgirl79 posted on December 15, 2006 at 3:11 pm

I know I shouldn’t, and I do feel bad for it – but I had to laugh when I saw the glasses. I’m sorry. I’m sure it wasn’t funny at the time!

I hope all that nice food made you feel better. 🙂

• beverly posted on December 15, 2006 at 11:58 pm

Yes, I was trying to convince myself I was just starting a new fashion trend 😉 At least they worked!

I like your “B” cupcakes icon 😛

• starbucksweetie posted on December 15, 2006 at 3:33 pm

Losing your glasses is very traumatic. Anyhow, very creative with your work team. I like that you’re sleep deprived, yet you’re still blogging.

• beverly posted on December 15, 2006 at 11:58 pm

Yeah, it still didn’t keep me away from checking my emails, eBay and blogging. vVery little would 😉

• susyspeed posted on December 15, 2006 at 5:21 pm

There’s also this Thai restaurant at Purvis Street that my parents bring me to.. I know there’s a few (I’m just blanking out on the name)

• beverly posted on December 15, 2006 at 11:59 pm

Yeah the whole place is just food central. There’s also these places that were PACKED with people having steamboat!

• tacofordinner posted on December 15, 2006 at 5:34 pm

Hahahaha, awwww. I’m sorry you lost your glasses! I can’t walk around without mine either, I would have had to do the same thing.

• beverly posted on December 16, 2006 at 12:03 am

I’m practically blind.. my degree is -4 in both eyes 🙁

• catpuccino posted on December 17, 2006 at 11:48 am

-4 is nothing!!!!
        I’m like -3 in one and possibly something worse in the other and I ONLY wear my glasses for driving, being in lectures, and at the moment at work (Because the computer screen is further away than I have my laptop screen at home…)!!! And occasionally theatre performances or the movies…
        Otherwise I wander round totally fine! Obviously I don’t have PERFECT vision and probably things are a little more blurred than most people like, but it’s never bothered me! 🙂 I just don’t like wearing my glasses that often, they give me a headache after awhile..

Mmm… FOOOD!

• borboleta posted on December 15, 2006 at 5:36 pm

That shows the wonders of team work! I hope you can put the stress and trauma behind and enjoy your stay in Singapore, eat and shop loads :D*

• beverly posted on December 16, 2006 at 12:04 am

haha yes, it was funny, and cheered me up 😉 I’m just looking forward to Mon/Tues and being able to SEE again!

• funkybrewsta posted on December 15, 2006 at 1:27 pm

Then I realized it’s your dad LOL

• eviltofu posted on December 15, 2006 at 2:10 pm

You just put it in your mouth and er swallow.

• beverly posted on December 15, 2006 at 11:56 pm

*lol* yeah.. my parents make cameos in some of my pics! 😉

• eviltofu posted on December 15, 2006 at 2:10 pm

• beverly posted on December 15, 2006 at 11:57 pm

Haha true.. but SO ANNOYING ’till Mony as I’m half blind ;(

• eviltofu posted on December 16, 2006 at 3:46 am

Practise for the first few days after surgery?

• gradgirl79 posted on December 15, 2006 at 3:11 pm

I hope all that nice food made you feel better. 🙂

• beverly posted on December 15, 2006 at 11:58 pm

I like your “B” cupcakes icon 😛

• protozone posted on December 15, 2006 at 11:15 pm

You forgot to post a picture of yourself wearing the makeshift glasses.

• beverly posted on December 16, 2006 at 12:05 am

People did take pics of me wearing ’em… but I didn’t take any with my own camera. If I can those I’ll def post them… they’re scary 😉

• starbucksweetie posted on December 15, 2006 at 3:33 pm

• beverly posted on December 15, 2006 at 11:58 pm

• bikkle posted on December 16, 2006 at 12:13 am

Chin Chin’s my absolute fav as well! My dad reckons when we speak Hainanese to the uncles we get a bigger portion…lol

What an adventure u had coming back, mine was blah to say the least, sitting beside a Greek Orthodox priest and his wife, while my parents took Emirates and by some stroke of unbelievable luck, they were upgraded to first class…argh~!

• beverly posted on December 16, 2006 at 12:31 am

Aww lucky, we can’t speak Hainanese.. we can barely even speak Mandarin 😛

OMG your parents were so lucky, maybe Emirates are better with upgrading!!

• misskesha24 posted on December 16, 2006 at 12:18 am

I am so sorry about your glasses hopefully next week you feel a lot better about your sight and I hope you will enjoy the rest of your trip!

• beverly posted on December 16, 2006 at 9:49 am

Aww thanks! I’m just looking forward to Mon/Tues then I wont’ be half blind anymore 😉

• couturekitten posted on December 16, 2006 at 12:49 am

You’re just like me, if I can’t find my glasses I go from 0 – breakdown in 3 seconds flat. I am SO blind. (I have contacts, which I sometimes have to put in to find my glasses..but they’re just not as comfortable.)

• beverly posted on December 16, 2006 at 9:50 am

I know! I’m -4 in each eye which isp retty bad 🙁

• susyspeed posted on December 15, 2006 at 5:21 pm

• beverly posted on December 15, 2006 at 11:59 pm

• tacofordinner posted on December 15, 2006 at 5:34 pm

• beverly posted on December 16, 2006 at 12:03 am

I’m practically blind.. my degree is -4 in both eyes 🙁

• catpuccino posted on December 17, 2006 at 11:48 am

-4 is nothing!!!!

Mmm… FOOOD!

• borboleta posted on December 15, 2006 at 5:36 pm

• beverly posted on December 16, 2006 at 12:04 am

• protozone posted on December 15, 2006 at 11:15 pm

You forgot to post a picture of yourself wearing the makeshift glasses.

• beverly posted on December 16, 2006 at 12:05 am

• kathsonno posted on December 16, 2006 at 8:06 am

LMAO the thought of you wearing those is hilarious!
    Aren’t you getting your eyes done while you’re over there? If so, you won’t need them for long!

• beverly posted on December 16, 2006 at 9:50 am

I may look like a moron, but at least I can see, hah!

Ya my surgery is Mon/Tues.. so I just have to survive blind ’till then…:X

• bikkle posted on December 16, 2006 at 12:13 am

• beverly posted on December 16, 2006 at 12:31 am

Aww lucky, we can’t speak Hainanese.. we can barely even speak Mandarin 😛

OMG your parents were so lucky, maybe Emirates are better with upgrading!!

• misskesha24 posted on December 16, 2006 at 12:18 am

• beverly posted on December 16, 2006 at 9:49 am

• couturekitten posted on December 16, 2006 at 12:49 am

• beverly posted on December 16, 2006 at 9:50 am

I know! I’m -4 in each eye which isp retty bad 🙁

• korobe posted on December 16, 2006 at 9:26 am

I actually saw you talking to the station attendants at Wynyard Station as I raced up the stairs to platform 3 to catch my train…anyway, you won’t have to worry about glasses for too much longer!

• beverly posted on December 16, 2006 at 9:51 am

Ahhh you saw me having a nervous breakdown then, haha, with all my luggage to boot!

• burntpinkhair posted on December 16, 2006 at 9:56 am

awww, good to hear that you got home safe and sound! have an awesome trip and do keep the pictures coming! 🙂

• beverly posted on December 16, 2006 at 10:29 am

Thanks 🙂 It’s nice to be home… the food…. ooh!

• kathsonno posted on December 16, 2006 at 8:06 am

LMAO the thought of you wearing those is hilarious!

• beverly posted on December 16, 2006 at 9:50 am

I may look like a moron, but at least I can see, hah!

Ya my surgery is Mon/Tues.. so I just have to survive blind ’till then…:X

• korobe posted on December 16, 2006 at 9:26 am

• beverly posted on December 16, 2006 at 9:51 am

• pei posted on December 16, 2006 at 5:34 pm

oh geez. that must have sucked so badly!!! i’m glad you’re back in singapore tho…perhaps i’ll bump into you over the next couple of weeks!

• beverly posted on December 16, 2006 at 11:41 pm

Ya 🙂 It’s so nice to be back!

• burntpinkhair posted on December 16, 2006 at 9:56 am

• beverly posted on December 16, 2006 at 10:29 am

Thanks 🙂 It’s nice to be home… the food…. ooh!

• pei posted on December 16, 2006 at 5:34 pm

• beverly posted on December 16, 2006 at 11:41 pm

Ya 🙂 It’s so nice to be back!

• dignan posted on December 21, 2006 at 6:04 pm

definitely creative way to make the best of the situation! 🙂

• beverly posted on December 23, 2006 at 4:01 am

Haha yes, thank God for creatives colleagues!

• dignan posted on December 21, 2006 at 6:04 pm

definitely creative way to make the best of the situation! 🙂

• beverly posted on December 23, 2006 at 4:01 am

Haha yes, thank God for creatives colleagues!