FOOD, Living in... Singapore, Uncategorized DINNER @ AUNT’S PLACE 30 December 2006

After that Les Amis luncheon yesterday, I announced loudly, “I’m not gonna eat anything for dinner tonight”. Little did I know that just mere hours later, I would be eating my words.

My aunt (dad’s sister) called at around 5pm.. I heard snippets of the conversation before Dad said over the phone, “Oh no thanks, we’re busy, going out tonight”. After he hung up, I barraged him with questions: who called? What dinner? Who’s cooking? When? Turns out that my uncle was cooking and I love his food.. so I promptly called back and RSVP’d a “YES PLEASE!!! We’ll be there” 😉

After eagerly asking my aunt what was being served, I found out it was “just some salmon and roast beef, for around 6 of us” A nice, simple dinner.. I thought. Which is practically “not eating anything”, right? Wrong!

When we arrived, we were shocked at the number of shoes strewn outside her front door. I’m not talking a few extra pairs.. but like 20-25 extra pairs. Confused, we walked in and were overwhelmed by a party-load of people, with a dinner party going on in full swing! Turns out my aunt ended up inviting a LOT more people than originally intended.. so it turned out to be a big party with tons of food instead, *lol*

My aunt’s pretty kitchen

Asian “chin chow” drink

Prawn and mango cocktail with passionfruit sauce

Fishballs, cocktail sausage and cucumber

Potato and egg salad with shallots and bacon

Roast beef tenderloin

Herbal chicken – OMG this was my favourite

Salmon Wellington and pasta

Roast lamb

Shepherds Pie

Fresh canteloupe juice

Japanese donuts (we brought these)

Homemade orange chiffon cake

Haagen Daaz “berries & cream” ice cream with fresh berries

D24 durians – so stinky I certainly didn’t have any *yuck*

My uncle’s super-cute Maltese.. eee!!

• pandora76 posted on December 30, 2006 at 7:04 am

Your aunt’s kitchen is amazing!!!

• beverly posted on December 30, 2006 at 10:27 am

I like how it’s country-style, it’s unusual in Singapore!

• thefragrantelf posted on December 30, 2006 at 7:33 am

All that foooooood. Is speechless. And now very hungry.

• beverly posted on December 30, 2006 at 10:28 am

Heh I know, and it was meant to be “no dinner” too!

• makeupmag posted on December 30, 2006 at 10:06 am

I love all your foodie posts/pics this month 🙂 And oh, you don’t eat durians? *giggles*

You can recreate the herbal chicken easily in OZ, you just need to find the seasoning packet. Rub the seasoning all over the chicken and inside and steam!!! 🙂

• beverly posted on December 30, 2006 at 10:31 am

Noooo durians are so stinky!

I heard about that herbal chicken seasoning, I just gotta find some and make it in AU.. I seriously LOVE the dish :)~~~~~

• ladytrippin posted on December 30, 2006 at 11:11 am

Ooh, I love herbal chicken as well. Do post if you make it one day. Maybe get your uncle to teach you his version! 😛

• beverly posted on December 30, 2006 at 4:35 pm

I’m going to find the packet stuff that makeupmag mentioned above, and make it myself!

• starbucksweetie posted on December 30, 2006 at 2:34 pm

Wow, that wasn’t a meal – it was a feast! I love the dog, so cute

• beverly posted on December 30, 2006 at 4:35 pm

I knoooow… way too much overeating in the past 2 weeks :X

• pandora76 posted on December 30, 2006 at 7:04 am

Your aunt’s kitchen is amazing!!!

• beverly posted on December 30, 2006 at 10:27 am

I like how it’s country-style, it’s unusual in Singapore!

• thefragrantelf posted on December 30, 2006 at 7:33 am

All that foooooood. Is speechless. And now very hungry.

• beverly posted on December 30, 2006 at 10:28 am

Heh I know, and it was meant to be “no dinner” too!

• makeupmag posted on December 30, 2006 at 10:06 am

• beverly posted on December 30, 2006 at 10:31 am

Noooo durians are so stinky!

• ladytrippin posted on December 30, 2006 at 11:11 am

• beverly posted on December 30, 2006 at 4:35 pm

• misskesha24 posted on December 30, 2006 at 7:29 pm

I agree that was not a meal but a feast!…Now why I was not invited?….LOL! and the dog is too cute!

• beverly posted on December 31, 2006 at 1:26 am

Hehe! I think our family just likes to eat… 😉

• susyspeed posted on December 30, 2006 at 9:24 pm

is your aunt a caterer? that’s a crazy feast dinner!!!

• beverly posted on December 31, 2006 at 1:31 am

Heh no, not at all! She just throws great dinner parties 🙂

• starbucksweetie posted on December 30, 2006 at 2:34 pm

Wow, that wasn’t a meal – it was a feast! I love the dog, so cute

• beverly posted on December 30, 2006 at 4:35 pm

I knoooow… way too much overeating in the past 2 weeks :X

• linklist posted on December 30, 2006 at 10:37 pm

awesome food spread, lovely yellow flesh durians and that adorable snow white dog.
    I enjoy all the pictures!

• beverly posted on December 31, 2006 at 1:32 am

The dog Snow was SUCH a cutie.. it made me miss my ferrets :X

• misskesha24 posted on December 30, 2006 at 7:29 pm

• beverly posted on December 31, 2006 at 1:26 am

Hehe! I think our family just likes to eat… 😉

• susyspeed posted on December 30, 2006 at 9:24 pm

is your aunt a caterer? that’s a crazy feast dinner!!!

• beverly posted on December 31, 2006 at 1:31 am

Heh no, not at all! She just throws great dinner parties 🙂

• linklist posted on December 30, 2006 at 10:37 pm

I enjoy all the pictures!

• beverly posted on December 31, 2006 at 1:32 am