Ferrets, FOOD, Food reviews, Uncategorized BBQ ONE @ EASTWOOD 2 October 2006

BBQ One
Shop 181, Rowe st
Eastwood, NSW 2122

Okay this is silly, but BBQ One doesn’t actually have an English name on their shop front. It’s 4 Chinese characters and of course, because my written Chinese is terrible, the only character I could understand was “yi” which is “one”. So after using Google and using my fantastic(?) powers of deduction, I’ve decided that the above name and address is the correct one. At least I hope so, haha!! It’s the place with the bright red sign and 4 white Chinese characters anyway.

Another way to recognise it might be just to look out for the restaurant along the road that’s packed with greedy diners. With only a handful of tables smooshed into the teeny area, people are in and out in about 15 mins – and I am not kidding. We arrived at around 2:30pm and were wandering around trying to figure out what to eat, and Chris spied this place that was brimming with people (with a queue of take-away patrons to boot).

Food was served instanteously. So bizzare. The complimentary Pork Soup was welcome, all steaming and hot, because we were seated right underneath the airconditioner blasting cold air. The soup though was pretty bland, not enough spices/seasoning. The pork in it, however, was all chunky and insanely tender, falling apart when we picked at it with chopsticks. Yum.

We each got the Roast Duck with Rice and Vegetables. It came heaped onto a plate, a great deal for 8 bucks! The meal wasn’t as great as others I’ved tried though.. the duck could have been a bit juicier and the skin a bit crisper. And the gravy poured over it all (which soaks nicely into the rice) could have been a bit thicker and more flavourful. And the veggies should have had a bit of oyster sauce or something, they were plain-boiled and so tasted really ‘green’. It also didn’t come automatically with the obligatory Plum sauce, which I found strange.. especially since we had to ask for it. Still though, for $8 and with a big bowl of free soup and free tea, we can’t complain 🙂

Pork Soup

Roast Duck with Rice and Vegetables

Just some yummy Asian snacks

We also drove the ferrets over to Dee Why, as Chris’ brother is helping us look after them whilst we’re away. Took a pic and video of them in the car!

• preci0us_dreams posted on October 2, 2006 at 12:59 pm

I went there a couple of weeks ago. It wasn’t bad!

I have a place for you to check out! I dont know if you have been there but whatever… French Riveria Ice Cream!
    The ice cream there is AMAZING!!! And if you are going to go, make sure your stomach is empty and it’s a nice hot day!

It’s moved from Double Bay I think
    I cant remember the exact address, but its on a street close to Chinatown
    It’s not on a main road, and can be slightly hard to find, so its a place to look out for 😉

The icecream there is homemade, and the sundaes are huge!!!! Average price is $12, and for that you get about a litre of icecream! Topped with extras of your liking =) You can also get waffles and cakes

I won’t ramble on anymore…

• beverly posted on October 2, 2006 at 10:31 pm

Oooo I’m bookmarking your post and will try and hunt down that Ice Cream 😛 I THINK I’ve seen an ice cream store in Chinatown but not sure if it’s that exact one. Sounds so nice!

• preci0us_dreams posted on October 3, 2006 at 1:30 pm

Okay I’ve just come back from the city, and I as I was returning, just for you I checked the street name! It’s the end of Liverpool St! It really isnt hard to find after all! Have a nice ice cream and then have a nice stroll in Darling Harbour! lol
        If you come off the bridge and just keep driving forwards, you should see it on your left. Hope I’m not confusing you 😉

• beverly posted on October 7, 2006 at 11:27 pm

Hey thanks, I’m going to check it out next time I’m in the area!

• littlemisskeira posted on October 2, 2006 at 1:10 pm

Yum Yum … i had just a peach fo dinner and your post is making my stomach growl… *lol*

I love Meiji’s yan yan… in fact i love anything Meiji lah..keke

• beverly posted on October 2, 2006 at 10:33 pm

i love Meiji too, and Lotte!!

• madmoneymonkey posted on October 2, 2006 at 3:24 pm

Star is sooooo cute!

• beverly posted on October 2, 2006 at 10:36 pm

She’s like a big white fluffy rat. But cuter! 😛 😛

• educatingb posted on October 2, 2006 at 3:44 pm

The little ladies are sooooo adorable! ADORABLE!

I’m always so intrigued when I see snack food from different countries. I need to find a place online where I can order soon foreign goodies!

• beverly posted on October 2, 2006 at 10:36 pm

There are websittes out there that you can order Jap/USA/etc food from! Pretty cool 🙂 Jap snacks are my fave

• ellesil posted on October 2, 2006 at 3:48 pm

unrelated to your post, sorry

hi Bev, i remember reading in one of your entries that you stayed in college while at UNSW?? my lecturer’s son is going there next Feb and has questions about college life that i cannot answer.. could you help pls? thanks!! =)

• beverly posted on October 2, 2006 at 10:37 pm

Re: unrelated to your post, sorry

I did 🙂 I’m away this week but feel free to email me and I’ll reply when I get back

• ellesil posted on October 4, 2006 at 12:36 pm

Re: unrelated to your post, sorry

Great! thanks so much. His name is Dominic.

• etherealprey posted on October 2, 2006 at 4:33 pm

xylitol gum! is that 100% xylitol? its only in small quanities in gum here in the states…

• beverly posted on October 2, 2006 at 10:38 pm

Oooh I dunno, why? What is it??

• etherealprey posted on October 3, 2006 at 3:07 am

it’s supposedly suppose to reverse cavaties or something, it’s a natural thing that appears in some plants, but i dunno if it really works but hey, worth a try right? it’s in sugarless gum and in my toms of maine organic mouth wash, i never knew how bad alcohol was in mouthwash and then i switched immediately….

• preci0us_dreams posted on October 2, 2006 at 12:59 pm

I went there a couple of weeks ago. It wasn’t bad!

It’s moved from Double Bay I think
    I cant remember the exact address, but its on a street close to Chinatown

I won’t ramble on anymore…

• beverly posted on October 2, 2006 at 10:31 pm

• preci0us_dreams posted on October 3, 2006 at 1:30 pm

• beverly posted on October 7, 2006 at 11:27 pm

Hey thanks, I’m going to check it out next time I’m in the area!

• littlemisskeira posted on October 2, 2006 at 1:10 pm

I love Meiji’s yan yan… in fact i love anything Meiji lah..keke

• beverly posted on October 2, 2006 at 10:33 pm

i love Meiji too, and Lotte!!

• starbucksweetie posted on October 2, 2006 at 11:15 pm

Wow, what a great value for the meal!

• beverly posted on October 7, 2006 at 11:27 pm

It was a pretty significant portion too, yum!

• madmoneymonkey posted on October 2, 2006 at 3:24 pm

Star is sooooo cute!

• beverly posted on October 2, 2006 at 10:36 pm

She’s like a big white fluffy rat. But cuter! 😛 😛

• educatingb posted on October 2, 2006 at 3:44 pm

The little ladies are sooooo adorable! ADORABLE!

• beverly posted on October 2, 2006 at 10:36 pm

• ellesil posted on October 2, 2006 at 3:48 pm

unrelated to your post, sorry

• beverly posted on October 2, 2006 at 10:37 pm

Re: unrelated to your post, sorry

• ellesil posted on October 4, 2006 at 12:36 pm

Re: unrelated to your post, sorry

Great! thanks so much. His name is Dominic.

• etherealprey posted on October 2, 2006 at 4:33 pm

• beverly posted on October 2, 2006 at 10:38 pm

Oooh I dunno, why? What is it??

• etherealprey posted on October 3, 2006 at 3:07 am

• starbucksweetie posted on October 2, 2006 at 11:15 pm

Wow, what a great value for the meal!

• beverly posted on October 7, 2006 at 11:27 pm

It was a pretty significant portion too, yum!

• renew posted on October 3, 2006 at 6:02 pm

Mmm Yan Yan.

Your furbabies are too cute! Love the little video. 🙂

• beverly posted on October 7, 2006 at 11:28 pm

I was trying to get Misty to come out but she was shy, haha!

• princesszhing posted on October 3, 2006 at 7:58 pm

yan yan!!! i love the strawberry ones and those with colorful freckles in it!! woohoo!! =)

• beverly posted on October 7, 2006 at 11:30 pm

Strawberry’s my favourite flavour too 😀 I just love the stuff!

• renew posted on October 3, 2006 at 6:02 pm

Mmm Yan Yan.

Your furbabies are too cute! Love the little video. 🙂

• beverly posted on October 7, 2006 at 11:28 pm

I was trying to get Misty to come out but she was shy, haha!

• princesszhing posted on October 3, 2006 at 7:58 pm

• beverly posted on October 7, 2006 at 11:30 pm

Strawberry’s my favourite flavour too 😀 I just love the stuff!

• khemany posted on October 4, 2006 at 4:10 am

hello my food appreciating friend – TOOBS are BACK….

I am the happiest girl in the world!

• khemany posted on October 4, 2006 at 4:10 am

hello my food appreciating friend – TOOBS are BACK….

I am the happiest girl in the world!

• popcorn_feet posted on October 15, 2006 at 7:34 pm

those little babies are so cute ..i love when you post them. i cant resist the faces, i think

• popcorn_feet posted on October 15, 2006 at 7:34 pm