FOOD, Food reviews, Uncategorized 85℃CAKE & BEVERAGE 30 October 2006

85? Cake and Beverage
Shop 9, 545-551 George Street
Sydney, NSW 2000

The idea of 85? Cake and Beverage was to bring “5-star hotel” expensive cakes to the average consumer.. like poor ‘ol us. Can’t complain, because you don’t often get beautifully presented, luscious desserts from a takeaway stand! At approx AU$4 per slice, it’s not exactly the cheapest, but certainly cheaper than what you’d find in a fancy hotel’s restaurant.. so they were telling the truth. Situated next to the George St cinemas, it’s surprisingly small but bursting with lots of colourful cakes sitting merrily in the glass displays.

The cakes all looked so tempting that Chris and I said “Oooo… how are we going to decide?!” After much deliberation, we selected our choices and they packed the cakes neatly in a cute little red cardboard box with a handle. The Fresh strawberry mousse in Austrian style cake – hmm.. I’ll start off with my opinion first. I didn’t really like it. I was expecting strawberry ice cream for some reason, and I found the mousse/cream a bit sour (I prefer super sweet strawberry-flavoured stuff). I did like the sponge cake exterior though. Chris, on the other hand, said that it was “sooo good” – he said they “used real cream” and just loved it. The Blackberry Mousse Cake was also only so-so for me, the mousse (vanilla layered with berry) was nice, as were the sponge layers between them. Chris also loved this. I think I’m just not really a fan of cream and mousse in general, and I don’t have that much of a sweet tooth either so cakes in general don’t excite me. I just wanted to try this place once to see how it was 😛

Fresh strawberry mousse in Austrian style cake

Blackberry Mousse Cake

• joni_to0622 posted on October 29, 2006 at 8:37 pm

oooohhhh they all loook soooOoo goooood!!! *drooling* ( even tho. I have a huge chocolate chunk cookie on hand) haha

• beverly posted on October 30, 2006 at 4:26 am

Mmmm…. chocolate cookie… I love the soft fudgy ones :)~

• beverly posted on October 30, 2006 at 4:26 am

Mmmm…. chocolate cookie… I love the soft fudgy ones :)~

• joni_to0622 posted on October 29, 2006 at 8:37 pm

• to_want posted on October 29, 2006 at 10:06 pm

Gorgeous confections! That is exactly my kind of store! I would have eaten myself silly.

• beverly posted on October 30, 2006 at 4:27 am

They were all so pretty, that was the best part 😛

• beverly posted on October 30, 2006 at 4:27 am

They were all so pretty, that was the best part 😛

• to_want posted on October 29, 2006 at 10:06 pm

• hyperion1 posted on October 29, 2006 at 10:26 pm

*drools drools drools*
    oh, it all looks so delicious … wow! 🙂

• beverly posted on October 30, 2006 at 4:28 am

Well Mr Sweet Tooth himself declared them better than regular cakes.. so I guess they were that good 😛

• beverly posted on October 30, 2006 at 4:28 am

• hyperion1 posted on October 29, 2006 at 10:26 pm

*drools drools drools*
    oh, it all looks so delicious … wow! 🙂

• starbucksweetie posted on October 30, 2006 at 12:47 am

Omigod, those cakes are so pretty! They should totally have version of this in Edmonton!

• beverly posted on October 30, 2006 at 4:28 am

They looked like fake food ‘cos they were all so perfect and colourful *lol*

• beverly posted on October 30, 2006 at 4:28 am

They looked like fake food ‘cos they were all so perfect and colourful *lol*

• starbucksweetie posted on October 30, 2006 at 12:47 am

• irene82 posted on October 30, 2006 at 2:22 am

those cakes reminds me of the bakeries in hong kong! the ones you can smell from corners away! 🙂

• beverly posted on October 30, 2006 at 4:32 am

Yeah they’re like that! I prefer savories though.. sausage roll for me any day 😉

• beverly posted on October 30, 2006 at 4:32 am

• irene82 posted on October 30, 2006 at 2:22 am

• catpuccino posted on October 30, 2006 at 3:33 am

Honestly I’m not a huge fan of the whole sponge+cream cake either. I like my cakes richer (mud cake anyone? Yum!) or fruity (berry cheesecake, apple teacake!), or if it’s creamy, then I want chocolate! 🙂
    In China, all the cakes (or at least the one’s my grandma bought) were all sponge + cream and after one slice I was done…

Those cakes really look quite Azn-style too! And $4 a slice is pretty cheap! Isn’t it? Maybe I just have totally different concepts of prices, being brought up in Canberra where everything is just more expensive cos there’s way less competition…

• beverly posted on October 30, 2006 at 4:33 am

Yeah if I have cake, I like the warm moist chocolate fudge or a cheesecake.. I just don’t really like cream and mousse!

• beverly posted on October 30, 2006 at 4:33 am

• beverly posted on October 30, 2006 at 4:28 am

• beverly posted on October 30, 2006 at 4:28 am

• hyperion1 posted on October 29, 2006 at 10:26 pm

*drools drools drools*
    oh, it all looks so delicious … wow! 🙂

• preci0us_dreams posted on October 30, 2006 at 7:07 am

I love going past that shop!!! I love how all the cakes are presented right in front of you, so that once you walk past, you HAVE to look at them! Did you notice that sign about the cancellation of a special? My mum and I wanted to use the deal, but saw that it was over one day before =(

• beverly posted on October 30, 2006 at 7:25 am

Hehe yeah their presentation is awesome

I heard they cancelled that special shortly after they started it – they suck ;(

• beverly posted on October 30, 2006 at 7:25 am

reallllly? too badzzz.

• beverly posted on October 30, 2006 at 4:40 am

They’re so pretty hey! Nicer to look at than to eat though 😉

• tiffanyx posted on October 30, 2006 at 4:00 am

*gasp* glorious cakes!

• aqualuna posted on October 30, 2006 at 12:40 pm

Ahhhhh they all look so good! Some of the cakes look pretty big, so I guess $4 is really not bad at all 😉

• beverly posted on October 30, 2006 at 7:30 pm

I think I’m just stingy, haha! I’m used to them being around $2

• beverly posted on October 30, 2006 at 7:30 pm

I think I’m just stingy, haha! I’m used to them being around $2

• aqualuna posted on October 30, 2006 at 12:40 pm

• __xopricktor posted on October 30, 2006 at 1:37 pm

i walk past that place EVERYDAY for work! but too scared of all the cream. hahaha.. is it the kind that fills your throat and makes it muccky?

that s/berry looks so glazed. and so YUMMY.

im not a big fan of cream either 🙁

• beverly posted on October 30, 2006 at 7:30 pm

Weeellll for me I didn’t like the cream, but I don’t like cream anyway. According to Chris, he said it was “proper cream” and really good 😛

• beverly posted on October 30, 2006 at 7:30 pm

• __xopricktor posted on October 30, 2006 at 1:37 pm

that s/berry looks so glazed. and so YUMMY.

im not a big fan of cream either 🙁

• preci0us_dreams posted on October 30, 2006 at 7:07 am

• beverly posted on October 30, 2006 at 7:25 am

Hehe yeah their presentation is awesome

• beverly posted on October 30, 2006 at 7:25 am

Hehe yeah their presentation is awesome

• preci0us_dreams posted on October 30, 2006 at 7:07 am

• protozone posted on October 30, 2006 at 4:52 pm

I had a Passionfruit Mousse from there a couple of weeks ago. I thought it was nice, but it was mostly just cream. Desserts that just rely on lots of cream sort of disgust me.

• beverly posted on October 30, 2006 at 7:31 pm

I’m not fond of cream anyway, so next time I’d rather go for something that has more sponge cake or something :X

• beverly posted on October 30, 2006 at 7:31 pm

• protozone posted on October 30, 2006 at 4:52 pm

• aqualuna posted on October 30, 2006 at 12:40 pm

• beverly posted on October 30, 2006 at 7:30 pm

I think I’m just stingy, haha! I’m used to them being around $2

• beverly posted on October 30, 2006 at 7:30 pm

I think I’m just stingy, haha! I’m used to them being around $2

• aqualuna posted on October 30, 2006 at 12:40 pm

• __xopricktor posted on October 30, 2006 at 1:37 pm

that s/berry looks so glazed. and so YUMMY.

im not a big fan of cream either 🙁

• beverly posted on October 30, 2006 at 7:30 pm

• beverly posted on October 30, 2006 at 7:30 pm

• __xopricktor posted on October 30, 2006 at 1:37 pm

that s/berry looks so glazed. and so YUMMY.

im not a big fan of cream either 🙁