FOOD, Living in... Singapore, Uncategorized NATIONAL DAY HOMECOOKED LUNCHEON 10 August 2006

I like Mervyn, aka my cousin-in-law, aka my cousin ‘s fiance. Sometimes, I think the reason our families are all so pleased about them getting married because we get one HECK of a cook into the family – hee! He isn’t interested in cooking basic food or local food though. Nooooooo… instead, he leans towards the super fine dining, French-style fusion type of cuisine. We don’t get a standard “steak and chips” from him, it always comes with an unusual twist and a presentation of contrasting flavours in the dish. I’m always jealous when I hear about his fancy dinners that he cooks our families, so when I’m back in SG, I make it a point to *hint hint* (or rather, blatently announce) that I’d like a meal too 😛

This time, it was a National Day luncheon.. albeit a really filling one! There were 12 of us and we were fed to the brim 🙂 Mervyn actually works in the fine-food industry, so he’s fortunate to get a staff discount on the ingredients. Even so, the ingredients alone cost a whopping ~$500!!!! I just reeled when I heard that.. imagine what it would have cost at a restaurant?!?!?!?!

Without further ado, we present to you Mervy The Cook’s luncheon – all cooked by him, and thus happily welcomed into the family 😛

Mum, me, Dad 🙂

The lipsmackin’ menu

Terrine of Scrambled Eggs, Mushrooms & Marinated Wagyu Shavings
I cannot begin to describe how luscious this was, so I won’t.

Chunks of raw wagyu beef, about to be roasted

Before & After shots of the Fois Gras (you’re looking at $70 worth
of raw ingredients.. and that’s after getting a staff discount!)

Oven-roasted Wagyu Tenderloin with Pan-Fried Foie Gras & Pineapple Chutney,
with Organic Salad, Crisp Rice Cracker and Fried Potatoes
Good grief…. One of the best meat I’ve ever had in my life.

‘Artic Roll’ ice cream with the Singapore flag (erm.. kinda!)

Home-made Pineapple Tarts

Tea & Coffee – Singaporean style

Lounging around watching TV

• __pinkpony posted on August 9, 2006 at 3:59 pm

omg!! more food!! seriously, your posts make me want to drool all over my keyboard. haha.
    I really want to try wagyu beef!! and fois gras – what does it taste like? I know that it’s French food and it’s really expensive… and it’s duck/geese liver mushed and its meant to taste buttery.

• beverly posted on August 10, 2006 at 2:02 am

Wagyu really is worth the $$.. the texture’s totally sublime and tender and soft!

Fois Gras tastes like your’e eating butter/fat… a very buttery taste as you mentioned. We had it with pneapple chutney which was yum :)~

• glassextreme posted on August 9, 2006 at 4:04 pm

fwah! yummy yummy!

• beverly posted on August 10, 2006 at 2:03 am

Hehe.. fwah is right! 😛

• blueeyezz posted on August 9, 2006 at 4:47 pm

I love your food updates. *drool*
    Just keep up with the exercising! 🙂 Ha ha…JK…

• beverly posted on August 10, 2006 at 1:44 pm

Hhaha I actually HAVE been excersing! Not as much as I should.. but.. erm.. better than nothing 😉

• vanessafrida posted on August 9, 2006 at 5:44 pm

man…the food is mouth watering! Thanks for posting! Kudos on pictures well taken!

• beverly posted on August 10, 2006 at 1:45 pm

*smacks lips* SG food is just too good.. heh

• makeupmag posted on August 9, 2006 at 5:51 pm

Your pics are sooooooooooooo good and sooo bad! LOL! I’m feeling hungry at this hour :PPP

What a fantastic meal~!

• beverly posted on August 10, 2006 at 1:45 pm

I make myself hungry looking at the pics too! SG is not v good for my waistline 😉

• j0s1e267 posted on August 9, 2006 at 6:01 pm

OMG, the food looks soooooooo good! I miss artic rolls :)~~

• beverly posted on August 10, 2006 at 1:46 pm

They were my FAVOURITE when I was a kid.. then they got discontinued or something, and a few years ago they came back, yay!

• skylermarie posted on August 9, 2006 at 9:13 pm

wow my mouth is watering!! is the star cereal that’s on the singapore cake called “honey stars”? that’s what they call it in bangkok and i LOOOOVE it – my favorite cereal ever.

• beverly posted on August 10, 2006 at 1:48 pm

YES that’s it! It’s not available in AU unfortunately.. I really like it :)~

• educatingb posted on August 9, 2006 at 11:14 pm

How lucky to have a chef in the family!

Oh, that dessert with the teddy bear cookie is sooooo cute!

• beverly posted on August 10, 2006 at 1:54 pm

Ya, just wish I lived in Singapore, haha!

• babyflite posted on August 9, 2006 at 11:49 pm

It’s not even 10am and you’re making me hungry! I love wagyu beef and foie gras. *drool*

• beverly posted on August 10, 2006 at 1:54 pm

The foie gras wasn’t really my cup of tea, but the beef… mmmm…… luscious…

• __pinkpony posted on August 9, 2006 at 3:59 pm

• beverly posted on August 10, 2006 at 2:02 am

• glassextreme posted on August 9, 2006 at 4:04 pm

fwah! yummy yummy!

• beverly posted on August 10, 2006 at 2:03 am

Hehe.. fwah is right! 😛

• starbucksweetie posted on August 10, 2006 at 12:34 am

The last pic of the living room looks very spacious. From madmoneymonkey’s entries – Merv always makes fantastic food. The “Arctic roll” with the Teddy gram cracker looks so cute and I like the look of the pineapple tart. It looks exquisite.

• beverly posted on August 10, 2006 at 1:59 pm

Merv’s awesome, he’s only been cooking for 1-2 years, has no previous experience/training and doesn’t use recipes.. THAT’S talent!

• etherealprey posted on August 10, 2006 at 12:39 am

wow the food looks great! you have a national holiday to eat? wow. I never really did like Fois Gras, i was in Paris and wasn’t impressed. but it looks good and i hope it was good for you as well!

• beverly posted on August 10, 2006 at 2:04 pm

well it’s actually the Singapore National Day… but.. erm.. we just used it as an excuse to have a celebratory lunch!

• blueeyezz posted on August 9, 2006 at 4:47 pm

I love your food updates. *drool*
    Just keep up with the exercising! 🙂 Ha ha…JK…

• beverly posted on August 10, 2006 at 1:44 pm

• brenda81 posted on August 10, 2006 at 1:34 am

my god, Wagyu Tenderloin!
    personally, i won’t eat fois gras, it seems so cruel to the bird. =X

Nonetheless, Merv is a great cook!

• beverly posted on August 10, 2006 at 2:05 pm

Yeah, as we were eating it, we were like “We shouldn’t eat this.. they torture the goose”. They force-feed them to enlarge their livers :X

I wasn’t a fan of the fois gras anyway, the taste just doesn’t excite me

• vanessafrida posted on August 9, 2006 at 5:44 pm

• beverly posted on August 10, 2006 at 1:45 pm

*smacks lips* SG food is just too good.. heh

• makeupmag posted on August 9, 2006 at 5:51 pm

What a fantastic meal~!

• beverly posted on August 10, 2006 at 1:45 pm

• j0s1e267 posted on August 9, 2006 at 6:01 pm

OMG, the food looks soooooooo good! I miss artic rolls :)~~

• beverly posted on August 10, 2006 at 1:46 pm

• ickleoriental posted on August 10, 2006 at 2:34 am

hey! i think i saw you last night at tong shui on zion road.. i was sitting outside nearer to the road.. you were with quite a big group and i was kinda wondering if it was you. then i saw a huge blue balanciaga bag and knew it had to be you…

• beverly posted on August 10, 2006 at 2:08 pm

Ya I think I saw Andrew!! But i wasn’t 100% sure since it was just a glance and I’ve never met him in real life. Didn’t see you though..

Heh, is the bag that big? I looked a bit strange as I was in my jogging gear but carrying a handbag 😉

• ickleoriental posted on August 10, 2006 at 2:09 pm

yeah i was next to him and hoping i’d catch your eyeline!

• missustay posted on August 10, 2006 at 2:48 am

oh my goodness, that looks absolutely drool-worthy.

• beverly posted on August 10, 2006 at 2:08 pm

Mervyn is 100% awesome 😛

• medlabtech posted on August 10, 2006 at 3:52 am

Amazing meal! All the dishes look very delicious.

Your living room looks so cozy with those big comfy couches.

• beverly posted on August 10, 2006 at 2:09 pm

Oh that’s my cousin’s house.. it’s lovely and I like their TV 😀

• khemany posted on August 10, 2006 at 4:22 am

i agree, every time i read madmoneymonkey’s posts they are always full of the best food pics and its all by her fiance! some people are so lucky

• beverly posted on August 10, 2006 at 2:10 pm

No kidding!! well, our whole family is lucky cos they get to eat his great food.. hehe

• skylermarie posted on August 9, 2006 at 9:13 pm

• beverly posted on August 10, 2006 at 1:48 pm

YES that’s it! It’s not available in AU unfortunately.. I really like it :)~

• finding_tricia posted on August 10, 2006 at 5:20 am

he’s the reason why i always salivate when amanda blogs about food! and your entries as well, my goodness…*drools* thank god i haven’t had lunch so it gives me a good reason to fill up the tummy after seeing all the yummy stuff here. 😛

by the way, do you know where i can get info on sydney in particular? eg. chinese population in sydney, acceptance of chinese food, meat import/export.

• beverly posted on August 10, 2006 at 2:11 pm

I always get envious when she blogs his food photos… so now I’m glad i get to eat some of it!

Hmmm.. I think google will be your best bet, as it can direct you to official websites about Sydney? I’m really not sure… I’ve never tried to look 😛 Is it for a project?

• thefragrantelf posted on August 10, 2006 at 5:39 am

Glub glub. I can’t…speak. Looks…so good!

• beverly posted on August 10, 2006 at 2:11 pm

Tee hee, we couldn’t speak afterwards too… too blissed out 😉

• vamprila posted on August 10, 2006 at 6:16 am

wagyu beef!!!!!! heavenly!!!!!!!!!
    great to have a good chef in the family! =)

• beverly posted on August 10, 2006 at 2:12 pm

Yeah, we’re fortunate 🙂
      The wagyu beef is just divine, but too $$ to have all the time!

• mzangel84 posted on August 10, 2006 at 6:23 am

Wow, what a feast! And you look great in that family picture. =)

• beverly posted on August 10, 2006 at 2:16 pm

Aww thanks! I like it too, I don’t often take pics of our family 😛

• wspri posted on August 10, 2006 at 6:32 am

everything looks so good including the arctic roll!
    hahah so lucky you!

it’s been a while bev, sorry for not commenting but i’ve been reading.

• beverly posted on August 10, 2006 at 2:17 pm

I love that Artic roll… I could just eat it all day long 😛 It made a comeback in SG after a few years of being discontinued… I’m glad it came back!

• educatingb posted on August 9, 2006 at 11:14 pm

How lucky to have a chef in the family!

Oh, that dessert with the teddy bear cookie is sooooo cute!

• beverly posted on August 10, 2006 at 1:54 pm

Ya, just wish I lived in Singapore, haha!

• babyflite posted on August 9, 2006 at 11:49 pm

• beverly posted on August 10, 2006 at 1:54 pm

The foie gras wasn’t really my cup of tea, but the beef… mmmm…… luscious…

• starbucksweetie posted on August 10, 2006 at 12:34 am

• beverly posted on August 10, 2006 at 1:59 pm

• etherealprey posted on August 10, 2006 at 12:39 am

• beverly posted on August 10, 2006 at 2:04 pm

• brenda81 posted on August 10, 2006 at 1:34 am

my god, Wagyu Tenderloin!
    personally, i won’t eat fois gras, it seems so cruel to the bird. =X

Nonetheless, Merv is a great cook!

• beverly posted on August 10, 2006 at 2:05 pm

I wasn’t a fan of the fois gras anyway, the taste just doesn’t excite me

• blairwitch posted on August 10, 2006 at 10:05 am

Oh wow… That’s amazing!! What a lucky cousin you have!! 😀 I love wagyu beef with a passion, it’s the best beef!!

• beverly posted on August 10, 2006 at 2:40 pm

Yeah.. she’s going to be well fed. Hehe!

• ickleoriental posted on August 10, 2006 at 2:34 am

• beverly posted on August 10, 2006 at 2:08 pm

• ickleoriental posted on August 10, 2006 at 2:09 pm

yeah i was next to him and hoping i’d catch your eyeline!

• missustay posted on August 10, 2006 at 2:48 am

oh my goodness, that looks absolutely drool-worthy.

• beverly posted on August 10, 2006 at 2:08 pm

Mervyn is 100% awesome 😛

• medlabtech posted on August 10, 2006 at 3:52 am

Amazing meal! All the dishes look very delicious.

Your living room looks so cozy with those big comfy couches.

• beverly posted on August 10, 2006 at 2:09 pm

Oh that’s my cousin’s house.. it’s lovely and I like their TV 😀

• khemany posted on August 10, 2006 at 4:22 am

• beverly posted on August 10, 2006 at 2:10 pm

• esthered posted on August 10, 2006 at 12:31 pm

Oh my, I’m absolutely dying to try Wagyu beef! But I know it costs a bomb. *le sigh*

• beverly posted on August 10, 2006 at 2:42 pm

I think it’s worth trying once! I do still like normal beef, wagyu’s just different. kinda like when you enjoy both fine dining food, but sometimes nothing beats cheap McDonalds 😛

• finding_tricia posted on August 10, 2006 at 5:20 am

• beverly posted on August 10, 2006 at 2:11 pm

• thefragrantelf posted on August 10, 2006 at 5:39 am

Glub glub. I can’t…speak. Looks…so good!

• beverly posted on August 10, 2006 at 2:11 pm

Tee hee, we couldn’t speak afterwards too… too blissed out 😉

• vamprila posted on August 10, 2006 at 6:16 am

wagyu beef!!!!!! heavenly!!!!!!!!!
    great to have a good chef in the family! =)

• beverly posted on August 10, 2006 at 2:12 pm

Yeah, we’re fortunate 🙂
      The wagyu beef is just divine, but too $$ to have all the time!

• mzangel84 posted on August 10, 2006 at 6:23 am

Wow, what a feast! And you look great in that family picture. =)

• beverly posted on August 10, 2006 at 2:16 pm

Aww thanks! I like it too, I don’t often take pics of our family 😛

• wspri posted on August 10, 2006 at 6:32 am

everything looks so good including the arctic roll!
    hahah so lucky you!

it’s been a while bev, sorry for not commenting but i’ve been reading.

• beverly posted on August 10, 2006 at 2:17 pm

• blairwitch posted on August 10, 2006 at 10:05 am

• beverly posted on August 10, 2006 at 2:40 pm

Yeah.. she’s going to be well fed. Hehe!

• esthered posted on August 10, 2006 at 12:31 pm